PDA

View Full Version : "Reverend" Phelps and his bunch send a twisted message.

Splitlip
05-23-2008, 14:52
This is going on right now.
Geoff Oldfather: Church's hate group won't find sympathy picketing in Stuart : Martin County : TCPalm (http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/18/30gtchurchs-hate-group-wont-find-sympathy-in/)
Last word I heard there were nearly 500 "anti" Phelps demonstrators. More than 300 of them bikers. No violence :smiley20:.

From the article:
Evil in its most disgusting form threatens to touch our community.
It disguises itself perversely as a church, but its members spew hate and bile while invoking the name of God.
Members of the Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church have gained national notoriety for showing up at the funerals of U.S. servicemen and women killed in action, chanting their glee that another American has died.
You might have seen the news clips, the signs that read "God Hates America" and "God Hates Fags" and "God Hates Your Tears."
Their message of hate is that our servicemen and women are being killed because the United States is a country that tolerates homosexuality.
Now, the church says it will picket a memorial service Friday afternoon at Veterans Memorial Park on East Ocean Boulevard in Stuart.
The Victory Forge Military Academy plans to erect 2,150 crosses to memorialize those who died in all the conflicts from World War I to Iraq and Afghanistan, from Volusia County to our north all the way to Monroe County on the south end of Florida's east coast.
Palm City resident Lori Luft knows their message of hate firsthand.
"They told me they were looking forward to the day I would pick out a coffin for my son," Luft said.
Luft's son, Brian, 25, is a Navy Corpsman who was attached to the Marines and Navy SEALs and special operations teams during two tours of duty in Iraq. He returned home safely.
It was while he was in Iraq that Luft was touched by the evil.
"There's a site on YouTube called 'Remember Me,' a beautiful video tribute where a group of us soldier moms would leave messages of encouragement and love and tell our soldiers to come home safe," Luft said.
The church began attacking the site, posting comments of hate where the moms were trying to post messages of support.
"It was vile. They told one mother she should see the scraped remains of a soldier after he's been blown up in a Humvee" and wished the same fate for her son, Luft said.
Victory Forge commanding officer Col. Alan L. Weierman said the church's message of hate will be drowned out by the message of remembrance.
"To dishonor the memories of those who have given their lives is reprehensible. I can't find anything in the Bible I read or the God I serve that calls for this activity," Weierman said.
It may not happen.
I called the Chapel of the Chimes Mortuary in Glendale, Ariz., where the church threatened to picket a soldier's funeral.
They never showed.
I called the church several times to ask if they'll follow through on their threat to come to Stuart. No one ever answered.
If they do show up, they'll meet with a little reception.
My good friend Richard Huggins — we call him Jarhead — a former Marine and a biker, said word's getting around and half a dozen motorcycle clubs plan to be on hand.
"We're going to surround the park, and people who wish to be respectful will have no problem," Huggins said.
"Those who wish to disgrace our honored dead may have a problem," he said.
"Personally, I don't care how you feel about the war, that's a political view. You can be against the war," Huggins said.
"But don't disgrace our troops."
Amen, brother.
THE CEREMONY
When: Friday, dedication ceremony at 3 p.m.
Where: Memorial Park, 100 E. Ocean Blvd. in Stuart

elijahb
05-24-2008, 15:51
don't disgrace our troops no matter your opinion on the war