PDA

View Full Version : B29 Bomber Re-opened for 2008 Season

js1scuba
05-24-2008, 18:53
Tech Diving Limited / Scuba Training and Technology issued New Permit for B-29.

B-29 Bomber Dive Dates Posted

We are proud to announce that we have een issued our 2nd permit for conducting Guided Technical Dives on the B-29 Bomber in Lake Mead, NV.

We have posted the dates for this season's B-29 dives. At the outset of the permit we only have 100 dives available. If the impact on the site is mimimal the NPS "may" increase our carry capacity (aggregate dives) but we have no guarantee on that. However this year our dive count is an aggregate count meaning we can use those 100 in any way we like. Last year we were restricted to 4 dives a week use them or lose them. The new aggregate method makes more potential dive dates available for you.

We now have three ways you can dive on the site.

Morning Dive Trip (one dive) $300 pp
Afternoon Dive Trip (one dive) $300 pp
Full Day Dive Trip (two dives) $450 pp

Plus for those coming in to Vegas in October for DEMA we have a DEMA schedule.

Note that my calendar has more than 100 dive spots available and as we reach that 100 we will cut off the other dates. So if you are even thinking of waiting for your reservation don't the waiting list for 2008 was already more than 50 peeps when i last looked. These are a first booked first reserve basis.

Visibility has been outstanding in the lakes these days due to the big Quagga muscle infiltration that have been filtering the water well.

Info on the B-29 can be found on our site Dive The B-29 with Tech Diving Limited! (http://www.divetheb29.com)

Come out and play with us on the B-29. You will have a blast!

Regards,

thecheeseman
06-08-2008, 16:52
I would if I could get that deep! :(

texdiveguy
06-08-2008, 17:00
Way to much $ for that outing!

DaneMeyer20
06-13-2008, 15:34

agree with that completely, although that looks like a very cool dive

cummings66
06-14-2008, 11:10
For me I'd do it for the money, it's something I like. I'm a pilot and love the old WWII bombers and this one has history, I think it's well worth the price. I have the gear, but not all the training. I think it'd be best on trimix.

It is on my list of things to do in my lifetime.

DaneMeyer20
06-14-2008, 14:12
Im guessing just anyone cant just jump off their boat and go down huh?

Charles R
06-14-2008, 14:28
Per their Website: So no not just anyone can jump in. But whatbetter excuse do you need to become Advanced Nitrox/Deco certified??? I am sure TDL would be happy to do the course then the dive with you!:smiley20:

The B-29 is in approximately 140 feet of fresh water at an elevation of approximately 1000 msl.

Advanced Nitrox / Decompression Procedures Certification Required --- Rebreathers Welcome
100% Oxygen from Surface Supply Provided

BuzzGA
06-14-2008, 18:33
If I had the certification and the money I would do it.

gbrdiver
07-05-2008, 16:01
If the Lake Mead area stays in drought much longer, it won't be long till the wreck is within rec limits.

character157
07-08-2008, 08:19
There is a dive I am adding to my list...I hope its still open when I get around to doing it.

ScubaJ
07-08-2008, 10:13
If I had $ to burn, this would be an exciting dive. Certainly one of a kind.
Would love to hear a trip report if anyone does make it out there.

mike_s
07-08-2008, 11:21

agree with that completely, although that looks like a very cool dive

I agree completely also. $300 bucks for one dive on a lake?

Sounds like a great dive, and not normally something you can dive, but price is kinda crazy. The Oriskany is half that price and is way offshore compared to this being a lake dive?

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 17:10
All in all, pretty interesting. I'd love to do it someday.

Joel, what is the current depth? I've been reading lots of reports of plummeting water levels in Lake Mead that have been making all of these sites shallower and shallower...

Vegas
07-08-2008, 18:11
If the Lake Mead area stays in drought much longer, it won't be long till the wreck is within rec limits.

that's the truth!
The park service lists Lake Mead as currently down 123' from "full".
wow.

mike_s
07-08-2008, 18:26

that's the truth!
The park service lists Lake Mead as currently down 123' from "full".
wow.

You're not kidding....

I'm taking my Jon-boat out there next month if anyone wants to wait till then and just snorkle it for free :smilie39:

ScaredSilly
07-09-2008, 11:04
The pricing is multi-faceted. Joel can better describe this than I can but here are some of the problems.

There are some heavy fixed costs that normally one would recover by running lots of trips with lots of divers. This permit is opposite - only a few divers and only a few opportunities. By fixed costs, need a boat, boat launching, insurance, etc. Then you need to have a guide for each team. At the same USCG rules requires that there be a person on board at all times, so the guide can not be the captain. All of these costs add up quickly.

Oh yeah the dive is with rec limits - the problem is that you only get 5 minutes before having to ascend.

SlvrDragon50
07-13-2008, 22:22
so its only a five minute dive or what?

It still seems a wee buy espensive but I would love to see it.

CompuDude
07-14-2008, 16:08
so its only a five minute dive or what?

It still seems a wee buy espensive but I would love to see it.

It's a 5 minute dive if you're trying to dive it within the no-decompression limits. If you're trained in decompression diving and have all the right gear for tech diving, you can stay longer.

mchain
07-14-2008, 20:14
I would do it in a heart beat, that sounds amazing! Unfortunately, no way I can this year for sure.