PDA

View Full Version : Canon A720IS ~ What else?

cutter77
05-24-2008, 20:22
Ok, I'm "committed" here. Gonna try to be one of those
underwater photographer types.

I've bought a Canon A720IS,
several 2 gig cards for it,
the Canon housing
extra o-ring for the housing
silicone
weighting for the camera
rechargeable batteries and charger

What else do I need for this setup?? (Gotta trip planned in 6 weeks on a liveaboard so I want to be able to order online anything I'm missing before then.)

One more question for this novice......what is the most common cause of flooding????

maggs_the
05-25-2008, 06:56
strobe light and a diffuser for those shots when you dont need the power of the entire strobe??

Cheddarchick
05-25-2008, 19:45
any small hair, and or salt or grain of sand, everything. I take along a package of the disposable makeup applicators, I lock my self in the bathroom and take a magnifying glass, my flashlight and very carefully remove the oring and clean the groove with a clean applicator. I run the o-ring through running water and clean it carefully. Then a small dab of lube and again run a applicator aroung the groove to clean it. Check with flashlight and Magnifying glass before lubing the o-ring between my fingers. Place in groove and replace camera into housing. Before you close make sure you use a moisture muncher. Close check locks, and then check the seal with the flashlight. I soak it for 10 minutes in the sink or tub at this point. (being paraniod I check after 10 seconds before leaving), Then a quick check in the soak tub before We dive....Good luck

coral cowgirl
05-25-2008, 20:13
This next trip of mine will be without the strobes (plan to stay shallow and do existing light.) Saving for the strobes though, maybe this fall.

I've got the moisture munchers...will get the applicators this week, that's one thing I'll be able to purchase locally! Good tip.

And...don't leave your camera/housing in the bucket very long...if something jostles it pretty hard, it could cause a flood. I always take mine out after a quick rinse.

RoyN
05-25-2008, 20:32
This strobe should work great with your camera.

Sea & Sea YS27 DX Strobe, Underwater Cameras, Sea & Sea, Sea & Sea YS27 DX Strobe (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=YS27DX)

However, the strobe is very expensive and its about $379 something for that model. The Sealife SL961D is $349 but just for $30 more dollars, the YS-27DX will give you excellent colors underwater. Also, you should add a tray and arm for the camera.

cutter77
05-26-2008, 23:20
Good info........I'm wondering what anti-condensation fluid is and do I need to use it with the moisture muncher packets?

rawalker
05-27-2008, 00:52
You may want to get a set of magic filters or a pair of filters compatable with your camera housing. A strobe isn't always the answer you're looking for.

cutter77
05-28-2008, 20:25
I've purchased the rechargeable batteries....but was wondering about approximately how long regular AA batteries will last if shooting video.....??? (I can switch from stills to video using the housing buttons.)