PDA

View Full Version : Dive Log Questions

FailedExistence
05-25-2008, 11:43
I just finished my open water certification and am looking forward to doing my advanced open water and eventually rescue. I have 5 dives logged so far signed off by my instructor and was told I need 20 for the rescue class.

My question is this ... if I go out on a shore dive with some other divers, or end up doing a boat trip can my buddy just sign off on my dives or do I have to find a divemaster/instructor for them to count?

Thanks!

DiverMAN
05-25-2008, 11:46
You can have your buddy sign off on the dives, and your buddy has to sign and give his certification number

ian
05-25-2008, 12:06
Signatures are not mandatory. They can be nice things to have to remember your dive buddies by, but they are not necessary at all.

I was readig through my log the other night. A lot of dives, I've just recorded the dive data without any comments. The dives that i wrote something down came back to my memory quite vividly. The notes I made about problems and solutions or things that worked well were valuable, too.

The bottomline: don't make the log about numbers and don't get caught up in the "logbook laws" . Make it about YOUR experience underwater. It will be a valuable tool and a great memory keeper.

Ian

comet24
05-25-2008, 13:11
Never seen a signatory needed for anything but certified dives. You OW, AOW, ect.

Log as you want. I try and put down my buddies name because it will help me remember the dive but can't remember the last time I had one sing them.

There is no real requirements for logging. Put down what you want.

FailedExistence
05-25-2008, 14:12
Thanks for all the information - I wasn't sure and am not overly worried about the dive log, but I just want to make sure I have what I need to move on with my training.

Thanks again everyone!

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 15:29
Thanks for all the information - I wasn't sure and am not overly worried about the dive log, but I just want to make sure I have what I need to move on with my training.

Thanks again everyone!
Get buddies hancock if you can...but don't worry if you don't.
It's not that big of deal.

elijahb
05-26-2008, 18:17
Do you know what information ssi requires for your logs when you want to upgrade your certification

Athena2c
05-26-2008, 23:26
My husband and I always sign each other's logs, but as you can see from the answers, it is not always necessary.
I have never actually had anyone check my log in order to let me dive, just my certs, so it is really pretty much just for me.

oddbod
05-27-2008, 08:25
I agree with Comet24, really only there for your reference, being lazy I probably haven't logged over half my dives, only the ones that are different or memorable in some way. Have just got a cable to connect my cobra to the computer so am going to start logging that way. now I just have to remember what the last 5 years of dives were so I can fill them in:smiley36:

Geoff_T
05-27-2008, 09:53
I am also lazy have not logged most of mine. And even the ones that are logged are only half signed. I have found that it can be difficult if you are diveing with an insta buddy to get this especially if they split as soon as the boat gets back to dock. For that matter I have found that If I am comeing back from a night dive I tend to forget to log untill after I return home and buddy is the same.

Flfiremedic
05-27-2008, 09:59
I've never logged dives the way I should, and it has bitten me a few times...signatures aren't necessary, but are a good idea.

maggs_the
05-27-2008, 10:05
i was paranoid about the same thing when i first started diving. i mean, the line is there for the buddy to sign so doesnt that mean it has to be signed??

now, not so much... i like to get them signed but if we happen to close the logs before i do, no worries.

tell you what i DO get if i can... DIVE STAMPS!! i love those things! i even took a page from my logbook with me to Epcot so i could get THEIR stamp in my book :)

but back to your original issue, sounds like you've got it resolved by now but i did have to chime in and say that it was something i thought about as a new diver as well but like everyone else says, it's really not a law or rule and the details are more for your own memories.

gthomas
05-27-2008, 12:30
So far I've logged all my dives (I think) I've only been diving for 2 years so its still fun to put all the info down and compare it to other dives. I'm sure it will get old after a while. Until then I'm going to keep logging.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-27-2008, 13:32
Right now, 64 dives. 34 are logged on paper. 12 are signed. I keep intending to transfer the rest from my dive log software to paper, but I guess I am either too lazy or don't find it important enough to trouble myself.

Foo2
05-27-2008, 13:40
tell you what i DO get if i can... DIVE STAMPS!! i love those things! i even took a page from my logbook with me to Epcot so i could get THEIR stamp in my book :)

Dive stamps? Do all dive ops have them? Splain!

harb99
05-27-2008, 13:43

i have seen stickers and stamps at different places that they will put on your pages for the dives completed with their store.

Foo2
05-27-2008, 13:48

i have seen stickers and stamps at different places that they will put on your pages for the dives completed with their store.

That's cool! I didn't know there was such a thing!

05-27-2008, 13:48
I saw a stamp at Discovery Diving in Beaufort, NC. It's the only one I've ever seen. Most of my dives are with friends (not with an operator). I'm sure my friends don't have a stamp.

Flfiremedic
05-27-2008, 13:57
Pics of the stamps please!

05-27-2008, 14:12
The one I saw was a rubber stamp and ink pad just like someone might use to mark something PAID in the old days. Press it against the ink pad and then press it against a page in your log book and it leaves an imprint with the ops name and logo, or whatever else.

harb99
05-27-2008, 15:56
Pics of the stamps please!
I know the ones that I have are a stamp from Dive Mike out of Playa and Key Dives in Islamorada had stickers this past summer for our dives

sorry no pics of either - the key dives stickers were their logo with the dive flag and Dive Mike was their logo, but it was just a stamp

Geoff_T
05-27-2008, 16:14
I could see that being a blast... Collecting dive stamps like passport stamps. I wish more opperators would do this.

maggs_the
05-27-2008, 16:28

That's cool! I didn't know there was such a thing!

yeah!! i got inked stamps from Epcot and my dive op in Hawaii, but Dive Paradise in Coz gave me actual STICKERS!

and i HATE it when they dont stamp my passport at Customs :(

LOL!

harb99
05-27-2008, 16:54
and i HATE it when they dont stamp my passport at Customs :(

LOL!

I went to Europe for 3 weeks right after my freshman year in college with my roommate - traveled to Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Belgium, and France - the only stamp in my passport from the trip - returning through customs in chicago :(

but those were the days, I was 18 and walked through customs with 3 bottles of swiss wine that I had carried on the plane and did not purchase in the duty free area of the airport

:)

longtailbda
05-27-2008, 17:00
Logged most all of my dives, 20+ years worth, after a move all of them are gone. Saved alot of space

cogrwy
05-27-2008, 17:10
Do you know what information ssi requires for your logs when you want to upgrade your certification

There is a sign-off page for each upgrade where your instructor certifies that you have met the requirements. The only paperwork SSI sees is the application sent in by the LDS.

Rainer
05-27-2008, 17:15
You can have your buddy sign off on the dives, and your buddy has to sign and give his certification number

No...

cogrwy
05-27-2008, 17:16
When you do the DiveQuest at EPCOT, they will give you a big sticker with a stamp on it, or if you have your logbook (a good idea in case they want to verify your experience) they will stamp directly in your logbook.

Athena2c
05-27-2008, 21:04
I got dive stamps with Tank Ha in Playa del Carmen and on the Explorer Bahamas liveaboard. And I LOVE passport stamps!

Maggs-I'm jealous! Dive Paradise didn't give me stickers!! :smiley19:

maggs_the
05-27-2008, 21:50
I got dive stamps with Tank Ha in Playa del Carmen and on the Explorer Bahamas liveaboard. And I LOVE passport stamps!

Maggs-I'm jealous! Dive Paradise didn't give me stickers!! :smiley19:

what?? i thought i told you about them before we left?? aww.. shoulda had Wayne bring some back!!

DUnder
05-29-2008, 15:57
I was under the impression that PADI requires that the dive log be signed by a certified diver to count officially if going for Dive Master or Master Diver.

Rainer
05-29-2008, 15:59
I was under the impression that PADI requires that the dive log be signed by a certified diver to count officially if going for Dive Master or Master Diver.

I'm quite sure that I could get a PADI MD card with no one signing off my 50 dives (other than those counting for the specialties and rescue; i.e. the training must be signed off only).

ReefHound
05-29-2008, 16:26

Why were you under that impression?

BSea
05-29-2008, 17:09
Here are some of my stamps.

Edit: The last 1 is a sticker

Foo2
05-29-2008, 17:21
That's cool! Thanks for the pics BSea!

scubasamurai
05-29-2008, 17:51
love the log book and getting all those stamps, except one trip out in cozumel didn;t have a stamp! bummer hahah. i looked at my lds owner's log books from around the world and man the history and the stamps. i am already working on my second book and it is fun going back and just reading all the stuff i wrote.

rawalker
05-29-2008, 20:13
Logs are for your own use. You don't need a signature and full names aren't required. Although certain certifications require a minimum number of dives there are no dive police and and your instructor is going to be the judge of both whether you are ready and whether you have acquired the skills for the certification you are attempting to attain. Dive logs can be fudged and even if they are well maintained with signature and contact info former buddies may move, change phone numbers or just pass away. Who is going to take the time to verify your logs?

CompuDude
05-30-2008, 16:04

I'm quite sure that I could get a PADI MD card with no one signing off my 50 dives (other than those counting for the specialties and rescue; i.e. the training must be signed off only).

Correct. For my PADI DM cert I printed the compact, single-line spreadsheet version of my dive log from my dive computer's software, showing that I had more than the requisite number of dives. Signatures are not expected nor required. That was sufficient proof for my instructor to stick in my file for PADI, and pass me.

It's nice to collect stamps, stickers, and memories, but my log is for me, and computer log prints cover any rare occasions that others need some verification. For me (important caveat), the fun of collecting stickers, stamps and signatures is not sufficient to warrant carrying around a paper log and duplicating all of the entries. I'm proud enough of myself that I log every dive electronically and actually take the time to write a sentence or two (more for dives that warrant it) about the dive into my software log.

cutter77
05-31-2008, 20:15
I don't get a signature unless it's a liveaboard, then I get one of the DMs to sign off a page listing all the dives for the trip. Blackbeard's has a cool stamp.

Vercingetorix
06-10-2008, 21:55
Only mu training dives have been signed, and those were by the instructors. Each instructor had their own fancy stamp. Kinda cool.

As a diver, you can have a stamp made. Just go to a stamp store, or on-line. (http://www.dive-logs.com/products.jsp?ProductCategory=8&Referrer=Google3&gclid=CIewzbiq65MCFQGbnAodGA95Wg) to create a stamp with a diver/sea/boat/ocean motif with your name. Stamp your buddies log books. They'll love it.

diver 85
07-10-2008, 01:13
Your buddies will count just fine........

CompuDude
07-10-2008, 15:57
Do you realize you've been peppering old posts with comments that don't really add anything to the discussion that hasn't already been said? Trying to rack up some numbers for free stuff?

waytooslow
07-10-2008, 16:10
Do you realize you've been peppering old posts with comments that don't really add anything to the discussion that hasn't already been said? Trying to rack up some numbers for free stuff?

It appears that he made it to 250, not bad for only 4 months.

I, on the other hand would never post just to get my count up.... :smiley30:

digitalman
07-10-2008, 16:42
I was told that some liveaboards want to see your log book to verify experience. I had made the comment to a DM buddy of mine that I'd quit keeping my paper log and replace it with the computer's downloaded log. He told me that I'd need to keep the paper copy for some trips, even though I've got lots of cert. cards.

I was wondering if this is how they check to see if you've been diving recently, versus just having a lot of experieice 5+ years ago or so. That being said, why wouldn't a computer's log download be just as good as a paper log, with the exception that there wouldn't be any signatures, just notes as to who the buddy was if I added it to the spreadsheet.

CompuDude
07-10-2008, 16:47
I was told that some liveaboards want to see your log book to verify experience. I had made the comment to a DM buddy of mine that I'd quit keeping my paper log and replace it with the computer's downloaded log. He told me that I'd need to keep the paper copy for some trips, even though I've got lots of cert. cards.

I was wondering if this is how they check to see if you've been diving recently, versus just having a lot of experieice 5+ years ago or so. That being said, why wouldn't a computer's log download be just as good as a paper log, with the exception that there wouldn't be any signatures, just notes as to who the buddy was if I added it to the spreadsheet.

Digital log is just fine. Print a hard copy for verification while traveling.

digitalman
07-10-2008, 16:56

Digital log is just fine. Print a hard copy for verification while traveling.

Thanks CompuDude. That was my guess as well, but I wanted another opinion outside of my LDS.

HAMradioDIVER
09-16-2008, 13:04
Hello all,

I recently got certified here in Puerto Rico. Problem is the intructor never signed off on my log book. Unfortunatley we parted on bad terms being as which he didnt want to honor some customer service issues our group had with him, and the fact he almost let me drown didnt help either. It truly is a long story. Either way, i did log my dives as best i could, for my OW certification, however, there are some gaps in the log like:
1. total bottom time
2.+ bottom time this dive
3.- accummulative time

All i wrote was date, site, time went down, time came up +/- conditions and instructors name.

What happens now? Are those cert dives useless for upgrading later without his signature? Am i now going to have to kiss *&(( to get him to sign them? What to do?

I mean i have my C-Card but seeing this post reminded me that my log book hadnt been signed.

Please advise
Frank

Catt99
09-16-2008, 14:09
Hello all,

I recently got certified here in Puerto Rico. Problem is the intructor never signed off on my log book. Unfortunatley we parted on bad terms being as which he didnt want to honor some customer service issues our group had with him, and the fact he almost let me drown didnt help either. It truly is a long story. Either way, i did log my dives as best i could, for my OW certification, however, there are some gaps in the log like:
1. total bottom time
3.- accummulative time

All i wrote was date, site, time went down, time came up +/- conditions and instructors name.

What happens now? Are those cert dives useless for upgrading later without his signature? Am i now going to have to kiss *&(( to get him to sign them? What to do?

I mean i have my C-Card but seeing this post reminded me that my log book hadnt been signed.

Please advise
Frank

Your log book is yours -- there really is no need to have each dive signed off by anyone. That being said, I suppose it's conceivable that some dive operator might want to see a certain specialty sign-off if you fail to produce a speciality c-card but convincingly explain that you're certed (I'm wildly speculating here -- I've never experienced this nor even heard of a dive op (i) requiring proff of certain speciality training but then (ii) be willing to take your log book as evidence of training, but then (iii) declining to accept the log book because certain dives weren't physically signed or stamped by someone -- I suppose it's possible, though not likely, and certainly shouldn't be an issue for OW certification dives when you have a valid c-card itself).

I eagerly anticipate all the stories of "my charter wouldn't let me dive the X wreck without a deep diver cert and I forgot my card . . . but luckily I had a log book showing I'd completed the training . . . and after giving a few signature samples the operator was convinced I hadn't forged the signatures . . ." vs. ". . . and I was out of luck as the dives hadn't been signed off on by my instructor / buddy." :smiley2:

Also, if you have logged what you say you logged in terms of dives, the cumulative bottom times data is just a matter of math.

CompuDude
09-16-2008, 16:45
Hello all,

1. total bottom time
3.- accummulative time

Please advise
Frank

Just explain the situation to a local dive shop, and make sure they'll honor it. As long as you have your OW card, I don't think this will be an issue. Take AOW with a local shop, and there will be ZERO issues in the future. Only the highest cert matters.

Warren
09-16-2008, 17:57
I'm bad about logging, and only logged enough dives to qualify for the Rescue class...

To me, if I don't do it right away, then I don't really remember enough to fill it out accurately.