PDA

View Full Version : Meeting ST friends - try it - you'll like it!

ian
05-25-2008, 10:59
Well, I hope they’re home safe and sound after their trip to “sunny” Southern California!

Laura and I got to meet Ed and Darcy Smith. They came out to San Diego for a conference and posted on Scuba Toys looking for advice on diving while in San Diego.

The week started out well above average in heat and ended up well below average with rain and high surf. Although we made it as far as about ¼ mile from the entrance to the harbor at Mission Bay aboard the Humbolt, we had to turn around and return to the dock. The seas were 6-8 feet in sets 6 seconds apart. We didn’t manage to get in any diving with Ed and Darcy while they were here.

We did do the “tourist” thing with them and went out to Point Loma. The tide pools were a hit!

What could have been a crappy day with a busted dive trip ended up being a blast with some really great new friends.

The dive operator asked Ed and me how long we’d known each other. Being of like minds, we looked at each other, chuckled and responded. “Oh, gosh! About two weeks?”

Seriously, though, if you get the chance, step out of your comfort zone and meet fellow ST Forum posters when they travel. It can be a blast and you’ll probably make some great new friends.

Thanks to Larry and Joe for the opportunity to meet Ed and Darcy!

Ian and Laura

longtailbda
06-13-2008, 18:29
Sounds like you had a good time may have to try it aft my wife gets her cert.

Vercingetorix
06-13-2008, 18:44
Ian, my wife and I vacation every May in Carlsbad (timeshare condos). During this past trip, I noticed a lot of dive bats do the La Jolla bay area. Next May, do you mind if I give you all a call so we can dive? My wife doesn't dive and I need dive buddies.

Oh yeah, bring along some of those fine Temecula wines; I've enjoyed many. I swap a couple bottles from the Texas Hill Country AVA.

ian
06-14-2008, 07:55
Would love to dive with a Gaulic chief who burned down his own villages to keep the Roman army from having shelter, cover, food or plunder!:smiley20:

Seriously, though, give me a call. Laura and I are always up for dives and for meeting new people.

Vercingetorix
06-15-2008, 08:36
Yeah, things were going OK until that little problem at Alesia...

scubasamurai
06-15-2008, 10:14
we hooked up with some ST friends at dive quest in disney and spent the day together. fun deal. still trying to hook up again but being the summer it got real busy

Vercingetorix
06-15-2008, 13:02
ScubaSamurai,

Sounds like you're close to Disney, Epcot, et al. My wife and I are heading there for Christmas week (22-27 Dec). We're driving from Dallas, so I can bring my gear. Interested in a dive or two? Or, are you out of town then? Let you choose the dive location, although I am doing the Epcot DiveQuest thing.

I could also bring your latest ScubaToys order with me (after I quality check it at CSSP, of course:smiley36:)

Oh...one more thing. If you can dive, then we tell my wife that "I'm discussing an IT contract that you require help with". That's the magic phrase...IT consulting...:smiley2:

Judge
06-15-2008, 15:13
I have a very good friend (who also happens to be one of my favorite tattooists) that lives in Santa Rosa and the wife said we should go visit her and the family soon......I of course said nooooooo........warm....sun....tattoo....diving... .why should I do that....so I will post when she forces me to the left side of the USA again

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 14:03
Would love to dive with a Gaulic chief who burned down his own villages to keep the Roman army from having shelter, cover, food or plunder!:smiley20:

Seriously, though, give me a call. Laura and I are always up for dives and for meeting new people.

Ditto. :smiley20: