PDA

View Full Version : Dive Boat Rescues Kayakers

FishFood
05-25-2008, 14:33
About 6pm we were tooling out to the dive site when a couple guys on jetskis flaged us down. A couple kayakers had gotten about half a mile off shore and gotten stuck. The tide was going out of the channel and wind coming in, stacking up 5-7ft waves. One kayaker must have turned over as he was hangin on the side of his yak tryin to get back in. THe dive master pulled him and his yak onto the boat. The other guy tried to paddle back to shore but headed straight for the channel (and the waves) and soon exhausted. THe captian turned back around and picked him up.

Anyway, for the good part. On the way back the divemaster and one of the kayakers were chattin. The divemaster asked the yaker what he did for a living, he turned red and replied:

"Im in the Coast Guard"

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Anyway, hats off to DiveMaster Joe of "The Dive Locker" - Panama City Beach. He jumped in the water with out thought to grab the kayakers.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/americanmadeford/kayaker01.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/americanmadeford/kayaker02.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/americanmadeford/kayaker03.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/americanmadeford/kayaker04.jpg

Marcus
05-25-2008, 16:43
By the look of their life preservers, these are very amateur kayakers with rentals...

EuphoriaII
05-25-2008, 17:44
I've dove with Dive locker before and will be again in late July. They're a good operation IMHO

FishFood
05-25-2008, 18:14
I've dove with Dive lokcer before and will be again in late June. They're a good operation IMHO

One of the best :smiley20:

scubasamurai
05-25-2008, 19:51
good job guys and at least they had vests on , most of the time they don't!!

Rileybri
05-25-2008, 21:04
Paging MSilvia, MSilvia to the red phone please.......MSilvia to the Red Phone! He has a great storry about getting swampped by the CG....

elijahb
05-25-2008, 22:15
By the look of their life preservers, these are very amateur kayakers with rentals...
Yeah I don't think you can even buy those life jackets now. I find it ironic that the coast guard got rescued.:smiley36:

Geoff_T
05-25-2008, 22:40
too bad it would have been worth a laugh to see the clipper pull up and realize that they work with this guy. pretty hard to live that one down.

MSilvia
05-27-2008, 09:30
He has a great storry about getting swampped by the CG....
To make a long story short, I was in a moderately well sheltered waterway, making what I considered to be a fairly routine ocean canoe trip to an island less than 2 miles from shore. I had another paddler and a non-paddling passenger, as well as some gear that fortunately was in dry bags just in case, but as an experienced canoe paddler, I didn't consider the passage so much risky as potentially tiring given that some incliment weather was chopping up some 1 foot swells and blowing at our bow. Frankly, I didn't even take my cell phone out of my pocket, as I considered the risk of me getting wet VERY low.

We were about 3/4 of the way to our destination when a USCG cutter raced toward us and asked if we required assistance. I replied that we were fine, and the cutter engaged full power to their bow thruster, throwing a large wave pretty much directly into the canoe and swamping us as they tried to reverse. "Okay guys, now we require assistance!" I yelled, and they picked us up and transported us, soaking wet, the remaining distance to the island. My cell phone was destroyed, and my binoculars lost overboard, but the rest of our gear was mercifully still dry and buoyant.

I eventually stopped swearing about the incident. I hope that we were swamped deliberately "for our own good", because as much as I find that irritating, I prefer it to thinking that's the kind of ham-fisted maneuvering around small craft that I can expect from the coast guard.

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 02:20
Good work on the rescue but it may be pertinent to remember that jumping into the sea without thought to perform an assist may create a even more hazardous situation, especially for the rescuer. It may have been more appropriate to assist from the boat. Sorry to be the stick in the mud but it's one of the most basic rescue concepts that you ensure your own safety in the assist.

stairman
09-06-2008, 05:04
I enjoy my kayak but I dont go in the ocean with it.Too many pristine rivers and creeks to bother with waves,current etc.Glad everyone was ok.Coast Guard,thats funny.

bubble-head
09-07-2008, 10:29
I would guess too that they were not experienced kayakers. No paddle floats or pumps are visibile to help bail the water out of the inside of the yaks and to assist in re-entry. They are lucky help was available.

thecheeseman
09-07-2008, 16:08
HAHAHAH!!! you guys made my day that is hilarious! good job from ur dm.

FishFood
09-07-2008, 16:34
Good work on the rescue but it may be pertinent to remember that jumping into the sea without thought to perform an assist may create a even more hazardous situation, especially for the rescuer.

hazardous situation?

The experienced, well trained DM knew what he was doing. When you see someone hanigng onto a kayak in rough seas, this isnt the time to drive the boat up to them, poke them on the shoulder, and ask if they need help. LOL!