PDA

View Full Version : J-Cub from St. George, Utah

J-Cub
08-06-2007, 11:21
Hey everybody-
Just wanted to say hi and that I am glad to be a new member to the forum. I think its great to have this available for any questions that I might have and to maybe answer some questions that others who are new to diving might have. Scuba diving is the best activity/sport as long as everyone is being safe and helping each other out.

Anyways thanks to Scuba Toys for making this available and I hope to talk to you all real soon.

ScubaToys Larry
08-06-2007, 11:27
Great to have you come visit our little community. My wife is just barely north of you by this time... She left yesterday with a trailer full of horses to head to a show in Montana - should be getting there in the next few hours!

She tells me that part of the country is beautiful - but probably a little lacking in warm salt water!

georoc01
08-06-2007, 11:31
Does the great salt lake count? I think there is a dive place there.

Foo2
08-06-2007, 11:32
Welcome J-Cub! Enjoy!

creggur
08-06-2007, 11:36
Welcome to the board, I think you'll find this is a great place to spend a little time....Or like some of us, a lot of time!!!

J-Cub
08-06-2007, 11:39
Thanks....
Actually, there is nothing to see in the great salt lake, since the salt levels are way too high for anything to live in it. And the salt makes you so positive bouyant that you have to load up on weight to get down. Also vis is bad.... so nobody dives the great salt lake, at least I've never heard of anyone.

We have some fresh water reservoirs here that we can dive, and I was part of a project in which we sunk a Cesna airplane as the start of a dive park. Other than that, we have to make the trip to Long Beach, CA and boat out to the Channel Islands. It is awesome diving and the drive is only about 5 1/2 hours, so its not that bad.

Centerius
08-06-2007, 14:33
Welcome to the board! How deep was the Cessna sunk to?

J-Cub
08-06-2007, 18:15

35-40 feet. It is great to use for instruction and navigation. The local search and rescue dive team have used it for body recovery training too.

3rdEye
08-07-2007, 00:08
ever dive lake Powell?

i have some friends out that way in Kanab

J-Cub
08-07-2007, 16:02
I haven't dove Lake Powell. But I did go snorkeling there a couple of months ago. I wished I had brought my scuba gear cause we saw some really big fish (striped bass, catfish, carp). Visiblity wasn't great in the cove we were camping at (10-20 feet) but it was still fun to be in the water.

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 16:17
PM Sent

Welcome. I learned to dive in Cedar City so I'm familiar with the area. Lived in Cedar for 5 years. We dove mostly at Lake Mead and made frequent trips to Catalina Island.

You can't beat Southern Utah, IMO, something like 5 National Parks within two to three hours drive!

Kent

Centerius
08-08-2007, 08:32

35-40 feet. It is great to use for instruction and navigation. The local search and rescue dive team have used it for body recovery training too.

Cool. If I'm ever up there, I'll have to check it out. :smiley20: