PDA

View Full Version : New camera question from a newbie camera user.

Navy OnStar
05-26-2008, 08:45
I'm getting Mrs. OnStar a camera for her birthday and I am thinking about a Canon (Sorry Larry). My question is about the housing. Are the Canon housings as good as the Ikelite? Is either easier to ensure a good seal?

Also, do the Canon housings accept other trays and strobes?
Speaking of Strobes. Do the small Canon's SD series even accept a strobe?

Thanks

OnStar

dbh
05-26-2008, 09:08
The Canon housings are smaller. The Ikelite housings are bigger, but more robust (thicker plastic and a greater depth rating). Ikelite customer service is second to none. Canon has no customer service for their u/w housings (make sure you have insurance).

Dave

dbh
05-26-2008, 09:16
Missed the second part of your question....There are quite a few trays & arms that will fit both housings. I have always used and recommended Ultra Light tray & arms Ultralight Control Systems (http://www.ulcs.com/) I have never heard anyone say that they had regrets for buying ULCS components. The absolute best optically fired strobes (which will work w/ all compact Canons) are Inons. The D2000 can only be fired optically.....the Z240 can be fired optically or via sync cord. When fired optically w. compact Canons, they do a great job of mimicing the camera's flash for spot-on exposure.

HTH,
Dave

maggs_the
05-26-2008, 10:00
i'll have to pass this info along to my guy... he likes our UW camera but i'm soooo ready for an upgrade because i got the UW housing that wont let you change settings while under!! so it's either all pic or all video... and one of our friends had their Canon on a trip to Coz and got some absolutely beautiful photos as well as some sweet video.

been jonesing for a Canon ever since :)

dbh
05-26-2008, 15:04
Just make sure that you get a camera that has a manual setting. You may shoot auto for a trip or two but you will want manual control (where you set the aperture & shutter speed) as you become more experienced. FWIW, image stabilization (called many different things by different camera mfgs) is worthless underwater. If you want it for topside......fine.

HTH,
Dave

maggs_the
05-26-2008, 18:48
you know that's actually one of the reasons i keep putting off buying a new camera.. (the other one is the $$.. and yet another is the time and effort to learn to use it). digitals are fantastic but fish dont stay still for the good shots and dont always focus how i'd like and i've toyed with the idea of the SLR.

of course, i could go high dollar and get the Digital SLR :D

or i could just dream about it while i continue to pay my electric bill :smiley29:

RoyN
05-26-2008, 20:42
The Canon A570 is a perfect underwater camera for point and shoot. It has the manual settings as well too. Any "A" Canon series will have that Manual option so you should check it out! :D