PDA

View Full Version : Brownstone Facilities

Darth Fishhead
05-26-2008, 09:18
So, I'm thinking of heading to Brownstone Quarry in CT this summer. I can't find anything about their facilities on their website. What do they have there? Do they have a fill station? Changing area? etc?

Rainer
05-26-2008, 17:21
So, I'm thinking of heading to Brownstone Quarry in CT this summer. I can't find anything about their facilities on their website. What do they have there? Do they have a fill station? Changing area? etc?

Yes, there's a changing area. No fill station (for now), but Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill is just a short drive away.

Sansho
06-08-2008, 10:00
I was there last weekend, for the first time. Facilities are very limited. They do have a changing room, next to the portapotties. There's a small bldg/shack where you check in and pay at the entrance. Parking is on the street around the quarry, although they will let you in to unload gear. There are a number of picnic tables where you can set up, and enough space you can put a tarp down too.

There are two sections to the quarry you can dive in, and we dove in the closest one to the entrance. There are several submerged platforms, a navigational course, and an old truck and boat that we ran across. Water temps recorded were 64 at 12', 54 at 35', 43 at 55' and 40 at 61'. Viz was around 20'. There are some fish in there, left over from the river flooding years ago.

One of the interesting things was diving around the periphery, where you could see up close where they cut the brownstone. If you want to read more about the quarry's history, there's a writeup at The Portland Quarries. (http://www.portlandct.org/Portland/history/quarry.htm#)