PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Titanium Knives

Flfiremedic
05-27-2008, 09:07
Just made the switch from SS to Titanium...any suggestions on sharpening Titanium dive knives?

Rileybri
05-27-2008, 09:34
Titanium can be a bit tricker than HCS. Because titanium tends to gum up traditional stones you will be better served using a wet diamond impregnated stone. Do not rush the sharpening process as it will take longer to get a good blade back on it. this is a link (http://gpvec.unl.edu/filesdatabase/files/feedlot/sharp1.htm) to some basic knife sharpening skills that my be helpful to you.

cheers,

Brian D.

rawalker
05-27-2008, 15:58
I use a combination japanese water stone with grits of 1000/4000. To maintain these type of stones I use a glass plate and 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
Another way to sharpen Ti knives is to use the glass plate and fine grit wet/dry paper. As the paper wears just replace it.

longtailbda
05-27-2008, 17:50
Sharpening is one of the reasons I've stayed w/ ss.

Alex.Song
05-27-2008, 20:59
If you are seeking titanium materials, maybe I can give some help.

rawalker
05-27-2008, 22:39
Sharpening is one of the reasons I've stayed w/ ss.

Well it may take some extra effort to bring a titanium knife to a fine edge but because of titaniums properties it will also stay sharp longer and once you bring it to a fine edge a little maintainence will keep it razor sharp.
The same can be said of a stainless steel knife compared to a high carbon steel knife.
It seems the better the corrosion resistance the harder it is to sharpen.

cummings66
05-28-2008, 06:34
Is what I was told wrong? IE tool steel could make for a "sharper" edge compared to stainless or titanium? All of which can be very sharp, but the degree of sharpness varies?

rawalker
05-28-2008, 12:51
Is what I was told wrong? IE tool steel could make for a "sharper" edge compared to stainless or titanium? All of which can be very sharp, but the degree of sharpness varies?

Metalurgy is such today that just saying tool steel, Stainless Steel or Titanium doesn't properly reflect the differing products available and the properties that can be engineered into each.
That said your statement is generally correct. Tool steel can be worked to some of the sharpest edges available and sharpens fairly easily. Stainless Steel and Titanium can be made so sharp that the difference isn't noticable. What sets the later materials apart is corrosion resistance and how long they maintain a fine cutting edge with use.
Many people are willing to take the extra time and effort to work the edge of SS or Ti knives because of the corrosion resistance and extra use before dulling of the edge.

Z-naught
05-29-2008, 11:17
I've read that the proper way to sharpen titanium alloy blades is with a diamond hone. Once properly sharpened, a titanium alloy knife will maintain its edge for a long time.

Rainer
05-29-2008, 12:05
How does the Ti edge hold up compared to SS?

rawalker
05-29-2008, 12:42
How does the Ti edge hold up compared to SS?

The Ti edge is a champ once you work it up to a fine edge. On Titanium Nitrate coated drill bits they claim 30 times the life over high speed steel. I wonder if you could use that coating on Stainless Steel and what effect it would have.

RikRaeder
05-29-2008, 13:57
Have you tried sharpening it on some diamonds?