PDA

View Full Version : Forum for Divers with Physical Challenges/Disabilities

MetalHealth
05-27-2008, 09:55
I can't be the only diver out there with special challenges. I'm legally blind (I'm not bumping into walls or anything but I can't drive) and just knowing that almost kept me from learing to dive. I'm glad I decided to walk into a shop one day and ask a few questions. Almost 10 years, and a PADI Rescue cert later, I'm happy to say that diving has changed my life. Anyone else out there care to share any of their own experiences? Let have a forum so we can encourage others to take part this amazing activity we call SCUBA!

DollFin
05-27-2008, 12:44
I can't be the only diver out there with special challenges. I'm legally blind (I'm not bumping into walls or anything but I can't drive) and just knowing that almost kept me from learing to dive. I'm glad I decided to walk into a shop one day and ask a few questions. Almost 10 years, and a PADI Rescue cert later, I'm happy to say that diving has changed my life. Anyone else out there care to share any of their own experiences? Let have a forum so we can encourage others to take part this amazing activity we call SCUBA!

Hi MH!! No, you are NOT alone here! :) I am legally blind too and was just certified last fall. Like you, I can not drive and was reluctant to try scuba for a long time (even though it was something I had always wanted to do). Nice to meet you and hope we can chat more.

MetalHealth
05-27-2008, 13:22
Nice to meet you! I'm happy to know that there are others out there that have taken the plunge so to speak! I'm sure there are many more looking for info and encouragement. I think you are the first person I've ever communicated with that has similar issues so it will be great to know someone to share ideas and experiences with, especially a fellow diver!

DollFin
05-27-2008, 13:32
Likewise. I meet a lot of people who tell me they've known other visually impaired or even totally blind divers, and I've talked to the guys at the Diveheart foundation a bit, but you're the first one I've met who is in the same (dive)boat I am :)

BuzzF117
05-27-2008, 13:59
Im not "legally" blind but there was a time I should have been. I am blind in one eye and had a cataract in the other and my eye Dr said we would wait till I couldn't see to remove the lens and implant another the only problem was i didn't realize how bad my vision was until I had the lens implanted. Wow I drove from Gainesville FLA to the Orlando airport practially blind but didn't really realize it since I was used to driving that way. The other problem I have is I suffer from osteo arthritis in both my hips (im only 40) diving is the only sport I can participate in that I have no problems with pain. I even think it helps releave the inflimation within the joint making my walk to the truck in full gear easier after a dive. I am having the right hip replaced next month and hope to be back in the water within 8 weeeks of surgery maybe sooner but just as a snorkler at that time working out my hip I don't think I can carry all the gear until about 8 weeks.

Water is a great equalizer when it comes to some disabilities.

MetalHealth
05-27-2008, 15:47
Good luck with that surgery and I hope you are able to get back to diving soon!