PDA

View Full Version : Diving with the Manatees

Scotttyd
05-27-2008, 10:58
I have heard great things, my question, is this a scuba dive or a snorkle trip? I have heard conflicting info.

FishFood
05-27-2008, 11:07
I have heard great things, my question, is this a scuba dive or a snorkle trip? I have heard conflicting info.

You can do either :smiley20:

Scotttyd
05-27-2008, 14:42
ya!! I always thought that would be cool, and for my anniversary my wife said I can pick anysite for a long weekend diving trip - she is not into the NC coastal dives - a little to much boat riding for her liking

scubasamurai
05-27-2008, 14:42
yes at crystal river the water is pretty shallow so either will be cool. scuba just gets you more underwater time with them. have fun

allknighter237
05-27-2008, 14:57
if you really want to get close to the manatees, especially at crystal river, i would suggest snorkeling because the bubbles tend to spook them a bit.

USF_Diver
05-29-2008, 21:34
I snorkeled with them like 10 years ago for a high school field trip, I was supprised how quick they can move for a short distance.

GodivaGirl
06-02-2008, 07:54
Swimming with the manatees is high on my list of places to go. Are there certain months of the year that are better than others? Are you guaranteed to see them or is it hit or miss?

WV Diver
06-02-2008, 07:57
Yep, you can do either, I have always done the snorkel thing.

Devin27
06-24-2008, 14:49
swimming with them was very cool but there are some rules for divers. If your using scuba you should stay away and observe them from a great distance because the noise can scare them. if your patient they will almost come to you just to see what you are. if your snorkeling then go nuts, just dont touch or get in their way, they are very strong and can move fast when they want to.

they just dont want to very often

tremtech
06-24-2008, 16:02
Most manatees that I have delt with will stay away if they hear exaust bubbles from a regulator . Around here usually the local dive shops will take you to water that is only four to five feet deep and they wont let you dive only snorkel.

violakat03
06-27-2008, 03:57
We did Crystal River in late March and it was really amazing. We did snorkeling but there was one group that was diving in the more crowded area. Try and rent out your own boat or go with a small group, the area that the big 20+ people boats go to is very silted up and you won't see many except far off in the restricted area. We wandered through the area to a section that no one else was in except two kayakers and got to spend a lot of up-close-and-personal time with three very friendly manatees. We actually had a hard time getting them to leave us alone so that we could get the boat moving again! We were told we were allowed to touch and they love having their bellies rubbed. It was really an amazing experience.

Monkeylemon
06-30-2008, 13:36
How much did your tours cost?

ScubaJW
06-30-2008, 16:40
Swimming with the manatees is high on my list of places to go. Are there certain months of the year that are better than others? Are you guaranteed to see them or is it hit or miss?

Manatees come to the springs during winter, then out to the ocean during summer. So best time to see manatees is between late December-late February.

Martin2
06-30-2008, 17:48
We did Crystal River in late March and it was really amazing. We did snorkeling but there was one group that was diving in the more crowded area. Try and rent out your own boat or go with a small group, the area that the big 20+ people boats go to is very silted up and you won't see many except far off in the restricted area. We wandered through the area to a section that no one else was in except two kayakers and got to spend a lot of up-close-and-personal time with three very friendly manatees. We actually had a hard time getting them to leave us alone so that we could get the boat moving again! We were told we were allowed to touch and they love having their bellies rubbed. It was really an amazing experience.

Did you charter? If so, who did you go with?

violakat03
07-01-2008, 02:59
We went with a large group. The LDS offered the trip to all their open water students for winter quarter, about 50 or 60 of us went on the trip but I'd say only 30 went snorkeling (it was on optional 'add on' for Thursday, checkouts were Friday and Saturday). I can't really answer the questions about chartering, I just know we had our own two boats and our instructors piloted them! I believe the place we went through was called Plantation Dive Shop? I can't remember for certain. We had small pontoon boats that fit 10 to 15 people in them.

Here's my friend's webpage with pictures. Vacation Thumbnails (http://www.woodysworld.org/scuba/vacationthumbs.htm)

Martin2
07-01-2008, 15:57
We went with a large group. The LDS offered the trip to all their open water students for winter quarter, about 50 or 60 of us went on the trip but I'd say only 30 went snorkeling (it was on optional 'add on' for Thursday, checkouts were Friday and Saturday). I can't really answer the questions about chartering, I just know we had our own two boats and our instructors piloted them! I believe the place we went through was called Plantation Dive Shop? I can't remember for certain. We had small pontoon boats that fit 10 to 15 people in them.

Here's my friend's webpage with pictures. Vacation Thumbnails (http://www.woodysworld.org/scuba/vacationthumbs.htm)

Thanks! Hopefully we'll make it down soon.

easyrider003
07-01-2008, 19:34
I have never really seen any manatees until my recent trip to sea world. Didnt realize they only ate plants. Very cool animals

trigfunctions
07-24-2008, 21:43
Snorkeling is definitely the best way to go. In some places, they are only in 5 to 10 feet of water so there is no reason to scuba dive.