PDA

View Full Version : Home Brewing beer

Rileybri
05-27-2008, 11:36
The favorite beer thread got me wondering why there is nothing hear about brewing your own beer? Personally I have been Brewing beer on and off for about 15 years now and I don't plan to stop any time soon! So who else out there brews beer? Do you have any favorite recipes??

Cheers,

Brian D.

Rainer
05-27-2008, 11:43
The favorite beer thread got me wondering why there is nothing hear about brewing your own beer? Personally I have been Brewing beer on and off for about 15 years now and I don't plan to stop any time soon! So who else out there brews beer? Do you have any favorite recipes??

Cheers,

Brian D.

I've been brewing for about four years. I'll try to post up a few recipes. Favorites so far have been a porter, a stout, and a solid barleywine (aged two years).

Mostly do ales, which tend to be moderately hopped. Averaging about 10 five gallon batches per year.

If/when I have more room, I'd like to go all grain. Right now, mostly a mixed approach.

peteg
05-27-2008, 13:46
I have my first batch ever in the secondary. It's an amber ale. Not sure how it will turn out...a recent sip while measuring the gravity tasted a bit more hoppy than I prefer, and kinda green. Eh, no worries, RDWHAHB

Ryanh1801
05-27-2008, 15:04
Been at it for about a year and a half. Just got into "sour" beers this last year and not sure Ill ever go back to the normal stuff. I have some great all grain recipes for Belgian beers if anyone wants them. My fav. beer so far is a Belgian Pale ale I did, added some Brett B. in the secondary and it turned out great.

JTMoney
05-27-2008, 15:31
No distill my own alcohol crew?:smiley2: Nothing like some good ole shine.

*Merlin*
05-27-2008, 17:09
I have been brewing since the early 80s. Getting the hang of a real nice oak flavored india pale ale.

Rainer
05-27-2008, 17:14
I have been brewing since the early 80s. Getting the hang of a real nice oak flavored india pale ale.

Using oak chips? Most homebrewed IPAs I've had (my favorite style of beer BTW), lack that oak flavor you find in commercial versions. I've used strong oak chips sparingly in a few batches I've made, but something is missing/off. Beers were all very good, just lacking that classic IPA oak taste.

*Merlin*
05-27-2008, 18:46
I use the oak chips that are designed for wine. They go in the secondary.

Rileybri
05-27-2008, 18:55
I brew almost exclusively IPS's and Porters although lately I have been fiddling with peach mead. We will see on that one as I don't even want to think about popping one open for a least 1 year.

Ryanh1801
05-27-2008, 20:57

Using oak chips? Most homebrewed IPAs I've had (my favorite style of beer BTW), lack that oak flavor you find in commercial versions. I've used strong oak chips sparingly in a few batches I've made, but something is missing/off. Beers were all very good, just lacking that classic IPA oak taste.

Use Cubes not chips.. You will be amazed at the difference.

Rainer
05-27-2008, 20:59
I'll give that a shot. Thanks. I guess an IPA is next on the horizon. Need to bottle a pale ale this week first, though.

Ryanh1801
05-28-2008, 00:50
I'll give that a shot. Thanks. I guess an IPA is next on the horizon. Need to bottle a pale ale this week first, though.
N/P.. I prefer about 2 oz. of French Medium toast myself for a 5 gallon batch, leave it on the oak for about 3-4 weeks.

cgvmer
05-28-2008, 06:36
Well, I haven't brewed in a while, up until 10 years ago I owned a home-brew shop in Verona NJ. At that time I was brewing 3-4 days a week, with classes each Saturday. My favorite brew was a scotch ale, started with WYEAST scotch ale yeast, finished with a simple champagne yeast. This is a big beer, with slight hop taste a huge malt load, and a knock-out 12% abv. I had that in secondaries for 4 months before bottling.

Have you seen the brewery.org beer recipe database? Gambrinus' Mug: The Brewery's Recipe Exchange (http://brewery.org/brewery/gambmug/gambmug.shtml)

Here is one of the first recipes loaded into it, I submitted it on 12/18/1996:

Thames Valley Yeast added a nice subtle fruity note.

Specifics
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Starting Gravity: 1042
Finishing Gravity: 1017
Time in Boil: 1 hour
Primary Fermentation: 7 Days
Secondary Fermentation: 7 Days
Additional Fermentation: NA

Ingredients:

* 6.6 pounds English Light LME
* 1 pound 60l Crystal Malt
* 1 pound Briess Special Roast (Biscuit Malt)
* 1 ounce East Kent Golding (5%) 60 Minute Boil
* 1 ounce East Kent Golding 5 Minute Finish
* Wyeast Thames Valley Ale Yeast

Procedure:
Add crushed grain to two gallons of water, bring to approx. 155F. Let steep for 20 minutes, remove, rinse with a pint of warm water then discard grain. Add LME to pot mix thoroughly, turn on heat then bring to a full boil. When fully boiling add 5HBUs of East Kent Golding, let boil 55 minutes, add other hops let boil 5 more minutes. Add the boiled WORT to 3+ gallons of very cold water, when temperature of 5 gallons drops to approx. 70F add yeast.

reeldive
05-28-2008, 12:19
Got 6 cases of my favorite brown ale bottled this weekend. Been brewing for 14 years now. I like my beer to be well hopped. Use Northern brewer for the boil and finish with fresh fuggles when I can get it.

thesmoothdome
05-28-2008, 20:02
I started brewing somewhere around 10-12 years ago. Did a few batches on the stove top with extract and then graduated to an all grain set up and a cajun cooker outside. I bottled for a while, but man, what a pia! Soon moved to kegging and keeping a few beers on tap. I have a counter-pressure bottle filler that I used to bottle for competitions and the occassional presents.

I haven't been brewing in the past few years and the equipment is getting a bit moldy, but if I find the time this August I plan on busting out a few batches. Favorites for me are nut browns, Imperial stouts, Pales and IPAs. My wife always complained that I overhopped things, but the judges never seemed to mind :).

Rainer
05-28-2008, 20:45
I started brewing somewhere around 10-12 years ago. Did a few batches on the stove top with extract and then graduated to an all grain set up and a cajun cooker outside. I bottled for a while, but man, what a pia! Soon moved to kegging and keeping a few beers on tap. I have a counter-pressure bottle filler that I used to bottle for competitions and the occassional presents.

I haven't been brewing in the past few years and the equipment is getting a bit moldy, but if I find the time this August I plan on busting out a few batches. Favorites for me are nut browns, Imperial stouts, Pales and IPAs. My wife always complained that I overhopped things, but the judges never seemed to mind :).

I'll be moving to LA this July, but have family in SD. I'd love to see an all-grain and kegging setup. If you want to brew in August and don't mind me joining you, shoot me a PM.

cgvmer
05-28-2008, 21:15
I have purchased the supplies a couple times in the past year, but I always run out of time and fail to make the batch. I have all the equipment ready, even my kegging gear

CFDAlden
05-29-2008, 01:56
A buddy of mine at work does lots of home brewing, and does an outstanding IPA. I did one batch with a friend, a honey amber, that came out fairly well. I'm a better drinker than a brewer, though. :)

*Merlin*
05-29-2008, 05:52
A buddy of mine at work does lots of home brewing, and does an outstanding IPA. I did one batch with a friend, a honey amber, that came out fairly well. I'm a better drinker than a brewer, though. :)

Aren't we all. :smiley2:

SotoCanoScuba
05-29-2008, 15:56
This is a great forum! I joined for the diving and found this thread. I just brewed my first batch last week. Someone left one of the little Mr. Beer kits here when they PCS'd back to the states. We found a couple of cans wort and went to town. I have a feeling it will not turn out well as we had to mix the recipies. The other guys in the unit and are going to order a homebrew kit after our dive trip next month. Any suggestions on where to get a good one?

Thanks,

Rileybri
05-29-2008, 17:41
This is a great forum! I joined for the diving and found this thread. I just brewed my first batch last week. Someone left one of the little Mr. Beer kits here when they PCS'd back to the states. We found a couple of cans wort and went to town. I have a feeling it will not turn out well as we had to mix the recipies. The other guys in the unit and are going to order a homebrew kit after our dive trip next month. Any suggestions on where to get a good one?

Thanks,

This is as good a place as any to start looking (http://www.beer-wine.com/category_page.asp?categoryID=1&sectionID=1&engine=adwords!712&keyword=%28home+brew+kit%29&match_type=)

have fun with it. Get a good book on brewing as well. something like The Complete Joy of Home Brewing.

btd

SkuaSeptember
05-29-2008, 18:35
I've been brewing 4 years, kegging for three. My favorites are an oatmeal stout and a Sam Adams clone.

thesmoothdome
05-29-2008, 20:19
I've been brewing 4 years, kegging for three. My favorites are an oatmeal stout and a Sam Adams clone.

I was always up to make an oatmeal stout. Have had a few good ones over the years and a few drinkable ones, but I've never had a taste for most lagers. I'll drink them in a pinch and have brewed a few marzens and pilsners, but never really got into the 6 weeks of fermentation that they require. I have 2 dedicated refrigerators for fermentation, but hated having them tied up for so long with a single batch.

DaneMeyer20
06-10-2008, 06:58
I have only had home brew once in my life. Party in college and the kid made this beer that wasnt terrible but not something i would order anywhere. Girls couldnt drink it but at 13% alcohol it put me under with the quickness. Seemed like a pain in the ass for him to do though