PDA

View Full Version : Diving in Bodensee/Lake Constance?

COJeff
05-27-2008, 16:56
Has anyone done any diving in the Bodensee? I'll be there in July, and remember seeing a dive brochure, but I'm not sure it will be worth hauling everything for 1 day of diving. Any help is appreciated.

ScubaG
05-29-2008, 11:40
Haven't been diving there yet but would definately consider it if I would be close by. It's considered a great dive place for wall and wreck diving. I would recommend using a dry suit as it does get chilly. Since they use the DIN system there, you're standard yoke regulator will not be of much use unless you get adapters.

Let me know if you want to go and I can ask on a German dive forum for recommendations on a dive shop and English speaking guides.

COJeff
06-12-2008, 14:37
I'm going to be in Freidrichshafen in mid July, and I'm trying to figure out if I have an extra day or 2 to play. I guess I'll just rent gear there, that way I don't have to deal with DIN or luggage. If you could ask about Fredirichshafen I'd really appreciate it!

ScubaG
06-12-2008, 18:51
There are few dive centers in Friedrichshafen, two of them speak English:

Stephans Tauchcenter (Stephens Divecenter): Action Sport Friedrichshafen,Anton Sommer Strasse 5, 88046 Friedrichshafen (http://www.stephans-tauchcenter.de/). Sorry, web site only in German but feel free to send an email to them in English: info@stephans-tauchcenter.de. They offer half-day, full-day and weekend tours.

Tauchschule Meersburg: Tauchkurse und Tauchen im Bodensee seit 1982 (http://www.tsm4u.de/), email: info@tsm4u.de. They also have a hotel in case you need one. Read some good reviews about them.

Let me know your cert level and if you have a dry suit cert and I can find out which one would cater best to your experience level.

Make sure to get a note from a doctor stating that you're fit for diving. It's required of all divers in Germany. Probably best to take the PADI medical form (http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-ver2-0.pdf) and have it signed by your doc.

COJeff
06-13-2008, 14:09
Thanks for the heads up on the doctors note. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm Padi AOW, but no drysuit experience.

I'll do some surfing and check out the sites.

Thanks!

ScubaG
06-17-2008, 10:50
I got some more feedback from local divers. Current surface temps are around 61 degrees, 50 at 30 feet and 40-46 at 60 feet and below. Night dives are especially liked and more recommendations for Tauchschule Meersburg.

There are many more dive shops in neighboring cities, so let me know if you need more shops.

Hope it all works out for you!

COJeff
07-23-2008, 15:01
I just got back from Germany, and unfortunately didn't get to dive. I went light and just brought mask and card, but my work plans changed at the last minute, and I had to head to Frankfurt with my free time. I hope to try again next year. Thanks for the info, sorry I couldn't use it!

tomich
10-07-2008, 17:09
Dry suits are a lot of fun - and if you're serious about it, alot of places will throw in the lessons for free if you buy one! (Or take the savings from the American dollar and get one here on ST and find a friendly instructor...)