PDA

View Full Version : make your killer shots into a Coffee Table Book

maggs_the
05-27-2008, 17:06
for my dad, for Father's Day, we got a collection of photos that would be important to him and uploaded them to MyPublisher | Create your own Photo Book with BookMaker and receive a published hardcover book! (http://www.mypublisher.com) for them to make an actual picture book out of them.

i originally got the idea and was going to do it of my scuba photos but (well, for lots of reasons) decided to do the first book for dad. it turned out spectactular!!

so i searched the forum and didnt see anything about My Publisher and just wanted to share the idea. you can choose different styles and have it with JUST pictures, or with pictures and text, or with pictures and paragraphs if you want to write a little "story" for each photo.

it's not exactly "cheap" to do but it's very very cool

Foo2
05-27-2008, 17:33
FYI, you can also do this through CVS, Walgreen's, & Wal-Mart.

maggs_the
05-27-2008, 18:55

wow.. i did not know this.. i'll have to research their prices before i make my own book. thanks for the info :smiley20:

maggs_the
05-29-2008, 11:55

wow.. i did not know this.. i'll have to research their prices before i make my own book. thanks for the info :smiley20:

i went to Walgreen's and Wal-Mart and they appear to use the same software as each other and they do not have the same choice of layouts MyPublisher has... not that either is better, but having used the MyPublisher, i guess i am biased to it.. i can do 1 photo per page or 2, or 3, 4, 5 and so on where it looked with Wal-Mart and Walgreens, i could do 1 photo per page or 12 photos per page.. no in between.

i did not get into it deep enough to see for myself, but the person who originally showed me MyPublisher said MyPublisher is more expensive if you do 20 pages but once you get over 20 pages, they are cheaper than Walgreens and Wal-Mart..

guess everyone has a niche.

so for what i am going to use it for, it looks like i'll be using MyPublisher but still it's good to shop around and know that maybe for other future projects, Wal-Mart would work.

ChrisA
05-29-2008, 12:11

If you use Apple's iPhoto, makig a book is pretty simple as the software is built-in and if you use Apple's book printing service it's just a mouse click away. But you could always save the book as a PDF file and send it off anyplace.

There are quite a few of these printing services. But do make sure you have a calibrated monitor so you can adjust the color and have some hope that the printed color will match the color you see on-screen, that is not going to happen on an un-calibrated monitor.

Also the quality of the printed books varies a lot between the printers, some are much better then others. Ask about their printing process, dots per inch and so on.

moosicman
05-29-2008, 12:15
So what exactly is the price on average?

Rainer
05-29-2008, 13:06
Also interested in an "average" price. Thanks.

maggs_the
05-29-2008, 14:55
for the book for my dad with MyPublisher, it came out to 75 pages (a few pages with one big photo but most pages had 3 to 4 or even 5 pics so over 220 individual photos) and for the hard cover 8 1/2 by 11, it was $29.00 for the first 20 pages plus .99 for each additional page so $83 and for your first order, they'll send/email you a coupon for a free additional book... so one of my sisters from out of town is going to get the second copy as a surprise.

The Walgreens and Wal-Mart websites were showing their books starting at $9.99 but i dont know if it is the 8 1/2 by 11 or the smaller 5 x 7 and how many base pages you get.

my numbers wouldnt add up correct for me and i finally figured out why!! MyPublisher gives a 20% discount for orders over $50 and a 40% discount for orders over $100...so that's how i got 75 pages plus shipping for $83.. sheesh.. that was driving me nuts!! LOL