PDA

View Full Version : Local Zeagle Dealer Not Good

MetalHealth
05-27-2008, 19:43
Don't know if this is better suited to the complaints forum but I thought that putting it here would attract the attention of someone who may care. Today I called my local Zeagle dealer to ask them about bringing in my 8 year old Zeagle for a make over. They have two locations so I wanted to know if it mattered which one I brought it to. The woman on the phone told me it didn't matter if I was dropping it off for service. At that, I explained that I wanted to talk to someone first and explain what I felt the issues were with it so I could get a cost estimate. Again, she told me it didn't matter where I went. I also asked her if they stocked parts because I felt I could just buy the parts and install them myself. She told me they could not sell parts to me and I could only get them as part of an annual service costing $25 to $30. Okay, so I go over there after work and talk to the same woman. She tells me that their repair tech is at the other location and I could not get an estimate until he thoroughly examined it tomorrow. I reminded her that that was why I called her first to ask her which location I should go to and that I was not interested in leaving it if I could not get at least a ballpark estimate. She said she could give me a ballpark. Inner bladder = $325. Inflator = $70. Rear dump valve = $15. Plus labor! Come on, really? Then, I asked to look at some new Zeagles and guess what? They don't stock anything but their own special "Phoenix" model. They've got their own Brigade (actually looked more like a stiletto) I guess but they don't have any other models in the store. What kind of dealer is this? Zeagle, don't you think that your dealers should have a variety of your products for peaple to see and try on? Especially since I think they are the only ones in the greater Phoenix area? I've dealt with this shop off and on for about ten years and every time I've found them to be condescending, indifferent and generally rude. It's a shame that Zeagle does not have better representatives in Phoenix. I will be getting all my Zeagle stuff from Scuba Toys from now on.

maverick
05-27-2008, 20:24
I got my Zeagle from ST. There is a dive shop in the midwest like the one U have in Phoenix crummy attitude. I will never spend a dime there again. ST rocks.

Crimediver
05-27-2008, 21:44
I also had piss poor service from a shop in Virginia Beach. I complained to Zeagle and they immediately fixed the problem at no charge. I was very impressed with the way Zeagle dealt with it. I find the best thing to do is to contact the factory. I also would not ask for a "makeover". You are giving the LDS a signed blank check. If your BC has a problem, like a leaky inflator or dump, fix it yourself. You can get a kit and fix them pretty easily. If your BC holds air, other than stiching coming apart, you should be more than capable of repairing it. Dive forums can walk you through most repairs. $325 for a bladder ? Man, they are crazy. Zeagle replaced a faulty bladder for me for free after the LDS charged me for an improperly done "fix" of a leaky bladder connection. Kick the LDS to the curb. They think you are an easy mark.

MetalHealth
05-27-2008, 22:01
Hey, thanks for the support guys. I didn't really tell the shop it needed a makeover. I told her what I thought might be wrong with it which was valve, inflator and maybe the bladder. I get the feeling that the threads the on bladder where the dump valve goes may be stripped. Like I said, my BC is older. My first inflator went out after the first ten dives and it was replaced by a shop under warranty. I sent it to Zeagle after the first year and a half of use when the stitching was coming out. It was both shoulders and pretty bad. They fixed it up and provided excellent service even replacing my inflator with a newer model though it wasn't broken. That inflator eventually cracked and was replaced. Now I need another one. I'm not complaining at all about Zeagle. I thnk they are a great company. I also spoke to ST and they told me to ship it to them and they'd repair as much as they could under warranty. Unfortunately, I'm pressed for time. I'm leaving on a dive trip on June 9th and don't want to end up renting. Getting into overnighting defeats the purpose of saving on parts to I think I'm gonna have to order some stuff asap. At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to only fix the broken parts, buy a whole new (modern) Ranger bladder from ST or buy the Escape bladder and convert to a Brigade which is probably more suited to the type of diving I'll be doing for the foreseeable future. I'll be calling ST tomorrow.

I also want to add that I don't feel like Zeagle owes me anything other than the promise of a quality dealer network and the ability to get my BC serviced locally at a reasonable price. One of the reasons I bought a Zeagle was because I'd read how it was modular and the bladder could be easily replaced if necessary. But, if it costs half the price of a band new complete Ranger, how valuable is that option? Why would I want to pay over $400 to repair my eight year old Ranger when there's another LDS with the SeaQuest Balance on sale for $429! Yeah, it's not a Zeagle but it's new and most would agree it's a great BC. Right now, I'm considering all my options and since money is definitely an issue, it will figure into my final decision.

Zenagirl
05-28-2008, 06:57
Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place....hope it all works out perfectly for you.

I'm lucky in that we have 2 local Zeagle dealers, one can't keep Rangers in stock and the other doesn't know much but is eager to learn. I still order from ScubaToys though since their prices just can't be beat (or matched) by either LDS.

Rileybri
05-28-2008, 07:14
At least your LDS is a Zeagle dealer! I just found out that my LDS "WAS" a Zeagle dealer, but dropped them. Water Front Dive Ctr. in BTV need to go back to selling Zeagle, Scott got on that!

Crimediver
05-28-2008, 07:22
The problem I had was my Ranger was leaking where the inflator elbow attached to the bladder. It also appeared to be stripped. The LDS just wrappped Teflon Tape around the threads, charged me $16.00 for the repair, which did not fix a thing and still leaked. I contacted Zeagle. They fixed it free of charge. As I recall I think I was told that the threads on earlier bladders had problems and developed leaks. They redesigned the threads to eliminate problems and I got the upgraded bladder. This was probably over 10 yrs. ago. It sounds like maybe you have a similar problem with your threads. Underwater the bubbles will come out from the collar around the elbow. It may no longer be a warranty job as old as your BC is but no way should a bladder cost $325. Good luck on a quick fix. I think a call to Zeagle will help get you back on track.

awap
05-28-2008, 08:54
This shop has been discussed in the past on scubaboard: Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/southwest-sand-sharks/177602-scuba-sciences-regulator-repair-problem.html)

Yours is not the first complaint.

MetalHealth
05-28-2008, 12:47
I decided to buy only the parts I needed for now to get the old girl up and running. After closer inspection, I decided that the bladder threads are most likely just fine. I ordered a new dump valve and BX inflator from ST this morning. I got great service, excellent pricing and free shipping! And to make the deal even sweeter, I used the $10.00 discount code Joe bestowed upon me just today for hitting my 10th post! I feel like I died and went to dive shop heaven! Thanks guys. You have earned a customer for life. If all goes well, I hope to have everything before my scuba review class next Wednesday so I can test it in the pool.

Rainer
05-28-2008, 12:54
This shop has been discussed in the past on scubaboard: Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/southwest-sand-sharks/177602-scuba-sciences-regulator-repair-problem.html)

One of the all time great SB train wreck threads. I've never seen such idiocy posted by a dive shop before or since.

MetalHealth
05-28-2008, 17:54
Yeah, I got cought up reading it and spent quite a while on it. Very interesting and it only confirms what I've felt for a long time.

Geoff_T
05-28-2008, 20:30
wow thats one of the more messed up things I have seen video of.

Rainer
05-28-2008, 21:04
Yup, pretty bad. Just not as bad as the SSI replies.

Grin
05-29-2008, 09:23
Phoenix!
What about the Saharra desert?:smilie39:
Just kidding!

mike_s
05-29-2008, 10:10

I wondered if it was this shop by the Original posters location.....

I remember that thread. I wouldn't let that shop work on my toliet after reading how they handled the customer and then tried to blame the customer for their screw-up later.

One of the all time great SB train wreck threads. I've never seen such idiocy posted by a dive shop before or since.

I still think they are clueless on what they did wrong....

Rainer
05-29-2008, 10:17
I still think they are clueless on what they did wrong....

Agreed. The owner seemed to think it was funny. Just amazing...

MetalHealth
05-29-2008, 12:23
Man, this just gets better and better. Just got the email from ST. They've shipped my package and ended up charging me even less than the prices quoted on the phone! That's right! Looks like I got the additional 10% off for being a forum member. So, lets compare again:

ST = Inflator + Valve + free shipping + $10.00 off code + 10% off + 0 sales tax = $39.19

LDS = Inflator $70.00 + Valve $15.00 + mandatory annual service $25.00 + tax = >$110.00. Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ST will be servicing my regs when the time comes!

Rainer
05-29-2008, 12:25
Sounds like you got hooked up proper. Post back after you make the repairs.

fisheater
05-29-2008, 20:35
ST is addicting!

MetalHealth
06-04-2008, 15:49
Well, I got my stuff yesterday right on time. Put on the new Bx inflator and dump valve last night and brought it to the pool at the good LDS today for our scuba refresher session. It all worked flawlessly and my Ranger looks and performs just like new again. I'm a happy camper. Thanks ST!