PDA

View Full Version : Water in First Stage

rktman26
05-28-2008, 08:59
I screwed up.

In my haste to get my gear broken down, I didn't install the dustcover on my first stage. When I got home, I soaked my regs, and didn't notice it for about an hour, so I'm pretty certain I ended up with water in the first stage.

It's a Sherwood Brut, and this was the second dive after the annual service.

What should I do?

Thanks for any advice.

awap
05-28-2008, 10:00
Because this is a flow-by piston, the end cap needs to be removed to dry that area out. It is not that big a job but might be better left to your tech.

Basically, it's a matter of removing all hoses and then put it on a tank and blow it out. That should dry the 1st stage except for inside the end cap. Then, remove the end cap and dry that. Finally, blow out the hoses as necessary as you reassemble. If there is water in the HP hose, you need to remove the SPG and blow it out so it is not allowed to get inside the SPG.

I wouldn't expect the tech to charge more than about $20.

cummings66
05-28-2008, 10:50
I say how you do it depends on if it was salt or fresh water. Salt water is hard on dive gear and you really need to get it cleaned out of there where fresh water is pretty benign and you can get away with things.

If you doubt your skills, take it to the shop.

rktman26
05-28-2008, 11:05
The dive was in salt water. When I got back to the house, I hosed the gear off lightly and soaked it in a bin (fresh water) until I finished washing the boat (about an hour). I found the dust cap off when I went to rinse the gear, so the only salt water woul be residual (salt that came off the gear and ended up in the fresh water).

I don't have my own tank, so it looks like I'll be taking it to the shop.

I kinda figured that would be the answer, but I was hoping to save the few bucks.
Thanks for all the info.

Rainer
05-28-2008, 11:09
Most of us have done this. Take it in just to be sure. If you're anything like me, you'll probably be more vigilant next time.

rktman26
05-28-2008, 18:46
I can't believe I did it this time.
I had a lot going on for this dive. My buddy and I fished in the morning out of my boat until about noon. We went back to the docks and got our dive gear and went to the spot we normally shore dive from, beached the boat and had a great dive. By the time we came up, I had been out on the water or in it for about seven hours.
I then had to get the boat back on the trailer, take the tanks back to the dive shop, drop off my buddy, drive an hour to the house, wash the boat and clean my gear.

Hopefully, it won't be too expensive of a mistake.

Rainer
05-28-2008, 21:27
It shouldn't be too pricey. Chalk it up as a lesson learned, and know you'll likely be more vigilant in the future. About all you can do at this point...

caroln
05-29-2008, 16:19
I did this on my first dive after I owned my own reg--well kinda--I stuck the cap back on full of salt water and left it closed til I was back in my room later and had that sudden 'duh' moment and realized it. I brought it into the shop on the way home, and they changed out a filter (which they gave back to me as a reminder not to do it again). I still have that filter, and have never forgotten again. It's a pain, but not the end of the world. The tech at my shop gave me a good ribbing for it, but didn't charge me to fix it. It was well worth the peace of mind to know it had been properly taken care of even if I had to pay though.

thesmoothdome
05-29-2008, 20:27
It happens more often than folks admit. My rule of thumb is that if I do something to my gear that I know shouldn't be done, ie soaking the first stage, I'm going to tell the tech about it and have him overhaul the reg. Better safe than sorry. I dive an Aqualung Legend XL which used the ACD system which eliminates water coming into the first stage in the event the dust cap isn't replaced before exposing it to water. Nice safety feature IMHO and one great breathing regulator to boot!

rktman26
05-30-2008, 11:42
I dropped it off last night. We'll see how long it takes to get back and how much it costs. I'll post the results here.

I almost decided not to take it in, but my wife hit me with the- "I don't want you to die on your next dive" (she's not a diver). So I took it in.

Thanks for all the advice.

By the way, that was dive number 25 for me.

DUnder
05-30-2008, 13:35
Good choice, always better safe then sorry.

rktman26
05-31-2008, 22:09
Dropped it off and had the tech look at it.He called me and told me it was fine, no problems, and no charge for looking at it. Which was great, because he just did the annual on it 2 weeks ago.

Daved
06-01-2008, 10:08
Nice! Glad to hear you didn't get soaked. Congrats on dive 25!

reeldive
06-01-2008, 18:51
Nice thing is that sherwood is about as bullet proof a req as you can get! We own 3 sherwoods and I do my own maintenance on them. 150+ plus dives between service and always in great shape. My Oasis has been dunked in the rinse tank with the dust cap off by a well meaning new guy, Broke it down that night and dried it out very little water got past the filter. Not an hr+ soak however.

Hey you need to get your dive buddy to wash your boat for you !! thats what I get my all girl crew to do, Gives me stile points on the wash-rack too

rktman26
06-01-2008, 21:45
I live further from the water than he does, so I drop him off on the way home. It kinda sucks, but it's not too bad. He offers to help, but I decline.

My foavrite thing is to pull the boat out of the water and get a thunderstorm on the way home. Everything is "freshwater rinsed" by the time I get back home. I'll Ive got to do rinse the motor.

The only all-girl crew I have is the wife, and she helps me empty the boat, but not clean it.

She can back a boat trailer better than most guys though.

scubasamurai
06-01-2008, 21:54
HAVE A SHERWOOD MAGNUM those bad boys i have been told are pretty rugged. glad you took it to a tech and shop just to be safe

cummings66
06-03-2008, 06:58
I believe you did the right thing, anytime you are not completely comfortable with something in scuba diving you should consult with somebody who is.

matt151617
06-03-2008, 11:21
During the confined water training in my OW class... even after the instructor warned us multiple times each class, and told people to have a divemaster check before the regs were rinsed... the instructor still had to rebuild 3 regs.

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 08:13
Yeah always a good idea to get it ckd out.