PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Diver Tricks

namabiru
08-06-2007, 15:39
So it's time to fess up. What is one of the most ridiculous things you've accidentally done while diving, or during a course?

I'll go first. We were learning the rope-in-a-bag toss in my Rescue course, and of course I was the one laughing the loudest over the possibility of someone forgetting to let go of the rope at the right time, or letting go of the whole rope and watching it sail away into the blue yonder.

So when it's my turn to try the rope toss, I step up, wind up, and envision the rope soaring perfectly toward the nonexistent diver. Instead, I let go too soon and watch the rope fly into the nearby bushes. :smiley36:

deepdiver47
08-06-2007, 15:55
I did the unspeakable just 2 weeks ago....
I began my decent without having my reg in my mouth. After 6 feet I quickly recouped and grabbed my reg while purging the valve.

Vercingetorix
08-06-2007, 16:45
During AOW dive (my 7th dive ever), I entered the lake and realized my secondary reg hose was caught under my harness. Inflated BC manually. I couldn't even look my instructor (Jeff Walters) in the eye after that dive.

thor
08-06-2007, 16:53
Last summer I jumped off of the boat and couldn't figure out why the current was so strong, and why I was having such a hard time with my surface swim. I began my descent and saw someone's fins slowly sinking toward the bottom. They were mine. I forgot to tighten my fin straps. My DM gave them back to me, while everyone watched, in shame. I don't know the hand signal for "Lose these, ya big loser? "

Illini_Fan
08-06-2007, 17:06
This wasn't a trick, but it sure qualifies as stupid. First open-water dive post certification, down in the blue waters of Cozumel.

As I descend, I'm feeling pressure on my face from my mask, so I start pulling (yes pulling) at the mask to relieve the pressure. I tried the seal over both eyes to no avail - even tried the seals on my cheeks. Then I remember that little trick of exhaling into your mask and magically the pain of the squeeze went away.

But that is not the end of the story. We get back to the hotel that night (did four dives that day) and my son looks at my face and asks how did I get the black eye. Both eyes were slightly blood-shot and I had a decent mouse under my left eye. I must have been pulling at that mask pretty hard. I've only had 45 dives since then, but I've never had mask problem again.

Experience is such a good teacher.

BSea
08-06-2007, 17:08
Things I have done:

Forgot to put on gloves in the winter. Surface water was 57. I knew I had a problem real quick.

Forgot my wrist computer. To be fair I had recently switched from a console computer to the wrist computer.

Forgot to attach my inflator hose. No excuse for that 1

Things I've seen:

Funniest thing I saw was someone forgetting to put on his fins. It was in a lake, so ther wasn't any current, but we sure let him know how funny we thought it was.

I Once had an instructor forget to turn on his air.

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 17:15
So it's time to fess up. What is one of the most ridiculous things you've accidentally done while diving, or during a course?

I'll go first. We were learning the rope-in-a-bag toss in my Rescue course, and of course I was the one laughing the loudest over the possibility of someone forgetting to let go of the rope at the right time, or letting go of the whole rope and watching it sail away into the blue yonder.

So when it's my turn to try the rope toss, I step up, wind up, and envision the rope soaring perfectly toward the nonexistent diver. Instead, I let go too soon and watch the rope fly into the nearby bushes. :smiley36:

reminds me of when i sent a club flying off into the distance on a driving range...not dive related, but funny nonetheless

can't say I've done anything stupid worth mentioning......yet.

Splitlip
08-06-2007, 17:56
I used to carry a little laminated reference card in my BC pocket

It said:

Computer set
weights pockets in
trim weights in
gas on
fins on
mask on

These were things I had seen others forget, and did not want to do it myself.

JugglingMonkeys
08-06-2007, 18:26
forgot to turn my air on.
just thought of it in time!!

deepdiver47
08-06-2007, 19:40
Last summer I jumped off of the boat and couldn't figure out why the current was so strong, and why I was having such a hard time with my surface swim. I began my descent and saw someone's fins slowly sinking toward the bottom. They were mine. I forgot to tighten my fin straps. My DM gave them back to me, while everyone watched, in shame. I don't know the hand signal for "Lose these, ya big loser? "

LOL, can't be my fins? wrong??? I hope they were yellow

georoc01
08-06-2007, 20:06
Well, last Sunday I watched my buddy free a crawfish from a fishing line and was rewarded with a nice little bite/snap.

Lucky(AR)
08-06-2007, 20:31
This weekend me and 3 of my dive buddys were diving some wrecks at lake norfork we all bought the little diver below saftey sausage that shoots out of the water...well we had never used them so one of my buddys decided he would see how it works...we were kneeling down at the bottom about 20 ft down he pulled it out and and started putting air into it with his octo a few seconds went by nothing happen then all of a sudden he shot up by the time i realized he was headed to the top he was already about 5 ft from the surface..he had left the clip on the sausage clipped to his bc it lifted him like a rag doll luckly he didnt hold his breathe ...so it was pretty funny since he was ok !!!

ReefHound
08-06-2007, 21:01
I was diving with 4 or 5 others in a group at a local pond. We all did a giant stride in and floated around talking a bit before going down. I sheepishly became aware that I was wearing my shades not my mask. I excused myself and got out, exchanged shades for mask, and got back in. Funny thing is nobody noticed, wondered what I had to go do.

lucidblue
08-06-2007, 21:10
I'm surprised 3rdEye has been able to to contain himself and not post this for me. Yesterday was diving with new gear and a HP 100 tank (which I've never used before). Also, last time I was at this quarry I had on a farmer jane, this time I had on a full 7mm suit.

So we head to the dock and test our weight. I had some extra weight because last time I couldn't descend and had to pull myself down the line. After checking the weight I knew I was a little heavy, but thought it was only about 2 lbs over, so I decided to just leave it in because I didn't want to walk it back up the hill in the heat.

We swim over to the 25' platform to do our descent and start to go down. Suddenly I'm plummeting out-of-control toward the platform back first. My feet are above my head and I feel like I'm about to do a back flip. I managed to swim out of it and land sitting on the platform. I felt like such a dumbass, but was glad to not have flipped over and hit my head or anything like that. After the dive I play with my weight a bit more and ended up dumping about 10lbs. I just didn't realize the difference that tank would make or that the farmer jane was that much more buoyant.

3rdEye has been making fun of me ever since. Suddenly he'll start laughing out of the blue and I'll say "what?" and of course it's about my ultra graceful descent. When I think about it I start laughing too. I must have looked so ridiculous, I almost wish there was a video :smilie39:. Well, at least I can laugh at myself and I didn't get hurt.

Lesson learned: be much more vigilant about testing that you're properly weighted with new equipment before descending for a dive.

medic001918
08-06-2007, 21:17
While I don't have any great stories to relate...I can tell you what my fiance did two dives ago. We got to the dive site, and as she was taking out her gear I thought I saw my wetsuit (I dive dry usually) in her bag. After looking a little closer, it was my wetsuit. She was quite embarassed and missed the first dive while she was going home to get her suit. Fortunately, the site was only about 20-25 minutes from home. In her defense, we have all of our gear hanging on a rack that includes four wetsuits and my drysuit (her's is finally coming)...so it's easy to make a mistake. But my wetsuit is blue, and her's is black. I don't think she'll be making that mistake again any time soon.

Shane

skdvr
08-06-2007, 21:25
Well a buddy of mine and I stride into the lake off of my boat get everything set and signal to decend. I reach for my LP Inflator hose and cannot find it. By this time my buddy is already going down. I had no idea where it went and was so flustered I could not figure it out. My buddy came back up and asked my what was wrong, so I told him "I can't find my f****** inflator hose. It ended up being between me and the back of my BC. He pulled it out and then just laughed at me for a few min, then we continued the dive.

I also went on a dive trip to the lake one time (4.5 hour dive) and i forgot my reg. I was not so happy about that one...

Phil

namabiru
08-06-2007, 21:25
You ever have a day where you just can't seem to get yourself sorted out? You pack your gear meticulously into the bag before your trip, thinking things through carefully regarding order, then for whatever reason find yourself wandering all over the boat looking for your gloves, accusing your buddy of hiding them, accusing your other diver friends of pulling a prank on you, and then as it turns out they were inside your fins?

*shakes head at self*

That was a good day, let me tell you. The others will be dining out on that one for weeks.

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 22:31
I'm surprised 3rdEye has been able to to contain himself and not post this for me. Yesterday was diving with new gear and a HP 100 tank (which I've never used before). Also, last time I was at this quarry I had on a farmer jane, this time I had on a full 7mm suit.

So we head to the dock and test our weight. I had some extra weight because last time I couldn't descend and had to pull myself down the line. After checking the weight I knew I was a little heavy, but thought it was only about 2 lbs over, so I decided to just leave it in because I didn't want to walk it back up the hill in the heat.

We swim over to the 25' platform to do our descent and start to go down. Suddenly I'm plummeting out-of-control toward the platform back first. My feet are above my head and I feel like I'm about to do a back flip. I managed to swim out of it and land sitting on the platform. I felt like such a dumbass, but was glad to not have flipped over and hit my head or anything like that. After the dive I play with my weight a bit more and ended up dumping about 10lbs. I just didn't realize the difference that tank would make or that the farmer jane was that much more buoyant.

3rdEye has been making fun of me ever since. Suddenly he'll start laughing out of the blue and I'll say "what?" and of course it's about my ultra graceful descent. When I think about it I start laughing too. I must have looked so ridiculous, I almost wish there was a video :smilie39:. Well, at least I can laugh at myself and I didn't get hurt.

Lesson learned: be much more vigilant about testing that you're properly weighted with new equipment before descending for a dive.

the funniest part was the 2 technical divers watching you tumble down with horrified looks on their faces.....i'm just glad i didn't have to rescue you.

dallasdivergirl
08-06-2007, 22:48
in ow class i managed to have my reg and tank flipped around. my instructor & dive buddy had to fix it in the water.

paintballindivr
08-06-2007, 23:26
well i havn't done anything too bad. now my father on the other hand: forgot to put in weights, spent 3/4ths of the dive on his octo and didn't even realize it, LP inflator hose attachment. Ya not the best (im basicly his personal dive master and makin sure he doesn't do anything too horrible)

Dive-aholic
08-06-2007, 23:33

Now don't forget the best part. the rope never came out. You threw the entire bag over your head! :D

My wife has done the submerge without reg in mouth thing. About my worse is walking into the water with my fins still in the van. That really sucks when you have to climb up a small rocky hill to get back to the van!

dmdoss
08-06-2007, 23:35
My tank straps came loose while diving near the bottom. My son had to pin me down to get it back in and tight. I could hear him laughing though his reg. Must have looked funny.

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 23:37
My tank straps came loose while diving near the bottom. My son had to pin me down to get it back in and tight. I could hear him laughing though his reg. Must have looked funny.

that might scare the bejesus out of me.....i guess you could grab it and hold onto it and get topside, but having a tank drop away, ripping your reg out of your mouth would suck

DirtyWaterIL
08-07-2007, 00:25
Before I started diving dry I used to pack up all my gear and just toss it in the back of my truck and bungee the bags to the tie down points the night before. Once in a while it would rain but it didn't matter...its scuba gear. Well on my way to take my drysuit class the night before I packed as usual. the only porblem was we had a terrible storm and everything was soaked. I barely had enough time to take my drysuit undies inside and throw them in the dryer with enough time to make it to the quarry. Even though they werent dripping wet they were still damp. So the enxt day i went and bought a tri fold vinyl top for my truck. I say it's best drysuit accessory money can buy.

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 09:03
this isn't a trick... but when i was doing pool sessions for OW, the instructor used to swim around and turn peoples air off... steal 2nd stages etc...

so he turned my air off on the first night... and i stole his reg out of his mouth (first thing that came to mind... i need air... he has air.)

loudgonzo
08-07-2007, 11:25
During the first pool session, the instructor told me I had my fins on backwards...I took them off and changed them from one foot to the other.

CompuDude
08-07-2007, 12:42
My most common error has to be forgetting to connect that $%#* drysuit hose.

Worst time was a deep, advanced dive at Farnsworth Banks. Problem, of course, was that because the current was seriously blowing, I had descended arm over arm hanging onto the anchor line, and it wasn't until 65' that the squeeze was bad enough that I really needed to add air and discovered I couldn't! Naturally, the hose was caught up somewhere behind me and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Now the fun begins. Standard practice is simply to disconnect the LP hose from your inflator valve and connect it to the suit... and the darn thing was stuck! At that point, I had let go of the anchor line, and drifted down to 85', without a smidge of air in my suit. It was getting hard to breath, and I was squeezed so much mobility was getting tough, too... my arms couldn't cross very well.

Eventually, I did manage to get the BC hose disconnected. That's when the fun part of my then-new drysuit bit me. Turns out the chest's inflation valve, which rotates to any position, is somehow pointed straight up. (long-time DS users can laugh at me now) I couldn't get it to point to the left so I could plug in the LP hose! My wing has a fairly short hose, so between the by-now intense squeeze, limiting mobility, and the valve that was only pointing up, I had a heck of a time getting the hose connected to the drysuit. All of this while dealing with the current, as well, at nearly 90' by that point.

Anyway, I finally got the hose connected, gave my DS a few hits to air to my vast relief, and reconnected the LP hose to my wing's inflator. I closed up the valve and finished the dive being careful about depth so I wouldn't have to add any more air to my DS.

Just to finish the story, when I got back on the boat, I discovered the problem: The rotating valve does not freely rotate 360 degrees... it stops at the 12:00 position, and you have to rotate it the other direction (I kept trying to push it towards the BC inflator, where it normally points!) in order to bring it back around. Doh! Live and learn...

Harshal
08-07-2007, 15:00
I was diving with 4 or 5 others in a group at a local pond. We all did a giant stride in and floated around talking a bit before going down. I sheepishly became aware that I was wearing my shades not my mask. I excused myself and got out, exchanged shades for mask, and got back in. Funny thing is nobody noticed, wondered what I had to go do.

I have seen that happen before, and one time I almost did it, but I had not jumped in water yet... so I just acted as if I was getting up and going to put away my shades......lol
Thats reason now I keep my snorkel around so I know I have my mask on as it would keep bugging me before we dive.

Harshal
08-07-2007, 15:05
Well a buddy of mine and I stride into the lake off of my boat get everything set and signal to decend. I reach for my LP Inflator hose and cannot find it. By this time my buddy is already going down. I had no idea where it went and was so flustered I could not figure it out. My buddy came back up and asked my what was wrong, so I told him "I can't find my f****** inflator hose. It ended up being between me and the back of my BC. He pulled it out and then just laughed at me for a few min, then we continued the dive.

I also went on a dive trip to the lake one time (4.5 hour dive) and i forgot my reg. I was not so happy about that one...

Phil

I had that happen to me during my pool sessions for OW, we were doing this exercise of taking off the BC in water and putting it back on, and I do everything as we were supposed and then I could not find my inflator hose I am going in circles in pool, it was funny and everybody was like what the heck is he doing. Finally my instructor pulled it out for me.........lol

namabiru
08-07-2007, 15:27
Now don't forget the best part. the rope never came out. You threw the entire bag over your head! :D

Ah, yes, my rescue instructor enters. I was wondering when *you* would turn up to heckle and reminisce about this charming moment. :smilie40:

BSea
08-07-2007, 15:28
My most common error has to be forgetting to connect that $%#* drysuit hose.

I've done that too. But I don't use a drysuit all that much, so it isn't routine. That's my excuse anyway. But after getting squeezed a few times, I'm getting better.

namabiru
08-07-2007, 15:31
During the first pool session, the instructor told me I had my fins on backwards...I took them off and changed them from one foot to the other.

:smilie40:

:smiley36: *polite snicker*

*checks for others watching*

:smilie39:

That one's pretty good on your instructor's part. :smiley32:

It kind of reminds me of that old joke, where you take a piece of paper and write "How to keep a fool entertained for hours (turn over)", then on the back side you write the same thing. You'll sometimes get people who will turn the paper 4 or 5 times before they realize...

When I went to Cozumel, I did have someone ask me if their soft-soled booties were on backwards.

So now you can pass on the love to another newbie diver. "Hey, your fins are on backwards." :smiley36:

silentstone7
08-07-2007, 20:38
Forgetting if it's your snorkel or reg in your mouth when descending from the surface is a fun one. Suddenly, I'm thinking what?! Why am I breathing WATER? In my defense, it was my first open water dive.

torrey
08-07-2007, 21:41
Forgetting if it's your snorkel or reg in your mouth when descending from the surface is a fun one. Suddenly, I'm thinking what?! Why am I breathing WATER? In my defense, it was my first open water dive.

Hehe, guilty when I first started too.

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 23:42
this isn't a trick... but when i was doing pool sessions for OW, the instructor used to swim around and turn peoples air off... steal 2nd stages etc...

so he turned my air off on the first night... and i stole his reg out of his mouth (first thing that came to mind... i need air... he has air.)

Interesting...that doesn't sound too safe. Did any of the students panic or shoot for the surface?

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 23:42

Ah, yes, my rescue instructor enters. I was wondering when *you* would turn up to heckle and reminisce about this charming moment. :smilie40:

I was good, though, and waited for you to tell first!

3rdEye
08-07-2007, 23:55

Interesting...that doesn't sound too safe. Did any of the students panic or shoot for the surface?

i've heard of some instructors doing these kinds of things....mine however did not

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 23:58
It doesn't sound too safe. That didn't even happen in our cave training. Pretty much my stance on this is no one touches my valves without my knowledge and prior agreement.

thesmoothdome
08-08-2007, 00:06
totally uncool to do to any student without their knowledge.

3rdEye
08-08-2007, 00:13
the way it was explained to me by a friend who was certified was that the students were to swim to various stations in the pool, and along the way and instructor would do something like that....grab a reg or flip their mask off, etc. and they would have to react. In this case it was a planned exercise.

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 00:14
well, how else do you simulate being out of air? in a real situation, you dont know when it's gonna happen (unless your dumb enuff to run out)
no one shot to the surface, but there was some panic from 2 people... and i could tell who it was gonna happen to in class... cause one of them just sounded too confident... like he knew it all...
i personally though it to be a good drill.. and we were in like 10-12 foot deep pool. better to learn to deal with it there... than at 40+feet...

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 00:20
the way it was explained to me by a friend who was certified was that the students were to swim to various stations in the pool, and along the way and instructor would do something like that....grab a reg or flip their mask off, etc. and they would have to react. In this case it was a planned exercise.

it was planned... he said "we're gonna simulate some real life situations" and then we got in the pool... and he (and his assistant) started doing that kind of stuff...
-turning air off (and after the student got air from a buddy, turn him back on... give them the OK sign...
-asking for air... he asked one student for air, and she gave him her gauge... he looked at it, and then bit down on it and acted as if he was trying to get air out of it.. (i was watching him by luck to catch this)
-masks being pulled off (only a few time, but once per person over the 2 days.)

i though it to be great... because i was actually with out a mask at 30+ feet... and i was able to manage just fine... (got my mask back in a few minutes...)
luckily none of my gear has ever failed me other than that one mask thing.

foo
08-08-2007, 00:41
That really sucks when you have to climb up a small rocky hill to get back to the van!

Perhaps it would suck worse if it were a large rocky hill. ;)

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 02:44
well, how else do you simulate being out of air? in a real situation, you dont know when it's gonna happen (unless your dumb enuff to run out)
no one shot to the surface, but there was some panic from 2 people... and i could tell who it was gonna happen to in class... cause one of them just sounded too confident... like he knew it all...
i personally though it to be a good drill.. and we were in like 10-12 foot deep pool. better to learn to deal with it there... than at 40+feet...

THe same way I was trained in my cave class. The instructor comes up to me and signals to me I'm out of air. The exercise isn't for my training. It's to train my buddy to respond to my signal.

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 02:45
That really sucks when you have to climb up a small rocky hill to get back to the van!

Perhaps it would suck worse if it were a large rocky hill. ;)

Well, when you put it that way... :D

kingfish
08-08-2007, 04:16
During my ow course i used a front entry wetsuit, so when i hired my first suit elsewhere i naturally hopped into it with the zip up the front.
:smiley29: pity it was a rear entry suit and there were a heap of other divers getting changed as well around to witness my mistake....doh!

Jason.

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 04:44
I've seen "experienced" divers put back zips on with the zip in the front. Quite embarrassing for them, especially after bragging about their experience.

BSea
08-08-2007, 07:57
I've seen "experienced" divers put back zips on with the zip in the front. Quite embarrassing for them, especially after bragging about their experience.
Actually, since most experienced divers probably used to have a front zip wetsuit, it would seem that this would happen allot. I too have seen this happen with experienced divers. More so than with newer divers. I have a light suit that is front zip, and a shortie and heavier suit that are back zip. Surprisingly I haven't had this happen (knock on wood).

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 08:16
Yeah, but the thing is she wasn't really that experienced...

CivilE
08-08-2007, 08:29

My instructor told us stories about training like this (he referred to it as the “old days”). I personally would have liked for him to have done some of these things as it would allow me to experience what ‘could’ happen, but in a controlled environment.

He did, however, turn our air off while looking over our shoulder at our gauges as we watched the pressure drop. I’m not sure if he had originally planned on doing this, or if it was because I was asking so many questions about the “old days”.

:cheers:

CivilE

BSea
08-08-2007, 08:36

Well, I do enjoy the times when a "Know-it-All" pulls one of these bone headed stunts. I went on a trip a few years ago. There was a lady who worked at a dive shop & was a DM. She talked all about her experience and was constantly giving tips.

She was the worst diver in the group. Her husband set up her gear, and she never made a dive deeper than 40'. She was the classic bicycle rider underwater. But the funniest thing was on the 1st dive of the trip. She had on a 5-4-3 wetsuit, jumped in the water, and screamed & cussed about how cold it was. The water was 72 degrees. She made 4 or 5 dives on a 5 day boat trip.

I'm just glad she doesn't work at my LDS. How she ever became a DM is beyond me.

Wolfie2012
08-08-2007, 08:36

If the air is off, that ends any semblance of a 'simulation'. Besides, there is no way somebody is going to learn to deal with an out of air situation by actually being out of air for one training class.

All it will take is one student to panic enough to freeze, or panic enough to pass out and breathe in a gallon of water. In my opinion, it's dangerous and stupid for an instructor to do that. You can drown just as easily in 10-12 foot of water as you can at 40. Do you think beginner skydivers learn how to deal with a chute not opening by the instructor throwing them out of a plane with a defective parachute?

Vercingetorix
08-08-2007, 08:51
I actually ran OOA during my first OW pool dive. I was carefully watching my gauge and informing the instructor of the situation beginning at 1000 pounds. At 200 pounds, I again signalled that it was time to go up, just as we begin our ascent from 11 feet, there's no more air.

Yep...the gauge was broken. That was a rental reg/gauge. I used my own thereafter after I bought an inflator hose.

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 11:35

Well, I do enjoy the times when a "Know-it-All" pulls one of these bone headed stunts. I went on a trip a few years ago. There was a lady who worked at a dive shop & was a DM. She talked all about her experience and was constantly giving tips.

She was the worst diver in the group. Her husband set up her gear, and she never made a dive deeper than 40'. She was the classic bicycle rider underwater. But the funniest thing was on the 1st dive of the trip. She had on a 5-4-3 wetsuit, jumped in the water, and screamed & cussed about how cold it was. The water was 72 degrees. She made 4 or 5 dives on a 5 day boat trip.

I'm just glad she doesn't work at my LDS. How she ever became a DM is beyond me.

I've got another one. An instructor that was on our trip to Belize. All she could talk about all week was about her experience and how great she was. We headed out to dive the Blue Hole et al. We splashed and did the dive. At the end of the dive we saw her on the boat. She claimed she had "equalization" issues and couldn't do the dive. Funny thing is she did the next 2 dives that day. And didn't miss any other dives that week!

3rdEye
08-08-2007, 11:44

eesh....i only have 15 dives under my belt and it sounds like I'm more proficient.

namabiru
08-08-2007, 12:30

:smiley13:

Why didn't she just put on a bit more exposure protection, then, or wear a hood, or warmer gloves, or something? Didn't the study-at-home Divemaster course teach her common sense? Or did she, gasp, not arrive at the dive site prepared for things like this?

namabiru
08-08-2007, 12:38
He he. The confessions we make...

In my OW, my instructor *did* turn off my air, but he told me before he was going to do it. Just randomly doing things like that without giving some kind of warning before the exercise begins kind of also signals 'danger' to me...

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 13:11

THe same way I was trained in my cave class. The instructor comes up to me and signals to me I'm out of air. The exercise isn't for my training. It's to train my buddy to respond to my signal.
Yes, lots of advanced classes, like Cave 1 and Tech 1, etc., have instructors who play dirty tricks like that. They don't do stuff like that in Fundies, even, though, where the divers are all advanced enough to handle it (theoretically), and I've never heard of it being done as part of an OW class.

I suppose it's possible to do it safely IF the student are known to be a solid bunch, well-prepared for the "drill", and an assistant is less then a foot or two away with a reg ready to donate in case of an issue.

For my DM training, I was taught that any time a student is going to have a reg out of his mouth, you need to be in touching distance... if not in physical contact.

georoc01
08-08-2007, 13:39
If its a plan turn off of your tank where its planned as part of the training dive, I don't think that's that uncommon. Its good to find out when you are running out of air because you have a breath in your hose it just gets really tough.

That said, what that instructor did in turning air off without the prep is wrong. You could very easy get a panic diver, and hopefully you grabbing his reg showed him how foolish his stunt was.

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 13:49
i heard someone talking the other day about an advanced class they did, i think it was rescue or something like that, and the instructor would pull of masks and be a real hassle... but i guess if you're preparing for rescue... than you need to be ready to deal with panicking divers and all of that mess.

ParrotHead
08-08-2007, 13:50
At the end of my last OW pool session, the instructor saw me taking off my gear and discretely told me that I shouldn't dive with the inserts in my fins; that they are just for storage. Alas, I had gotten used to the d@mn things, and sometimes still dive with them. I hope this doesn't make me a Dork Diver ?!?!?! :icon_smile_blush:

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 13:51
i've caught my self doing that too... but never actually had my foot all set before i noticed... i did try and put em in and the noticed "this is kind of tight??" and took em out.

thor
08-08-2007, 14:04
I totally forgot about this one:

When I was getting my OW, I had an instructor with a slight speech impediment. During the classroom sessions he spoke about the various types of diving (boat, altitude, quarry, etc, etc), and he spoke of one type of trip in particular, where you could stay and live on the boat, except it was really hard to understand him, due to the speech impediment At the end of the class my wife and I asked, bewildered, about these "Aggresssive LIVER Boards" he kept talking about. (Liveaboard on the Aggressor)

To this day, my wife and I still refer to them as Liver Boards. I laugh every time I think of this.

Harshal
08-08-2007, 14:11

I've got another one. An instructor that was on our trip to Belize. All she could talk about all week was about her experience and how great she was. We headed out to dive the Blue Hole et al. We splashed and did the dive. At the end of the dive we saw her on the boat. She claimed she had "equalization" issues and couldn't do the dive. Funny thing is she did the next 2 dives that day. And didn't miss any other dives that week!

I don't know about that, I might give her benefit of doubt on that one that she really might have equlization issue.

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 14:34
At the end of my last OW pool session, the instructor saw me taking off my gear and discretely told me that I shouldn't dive with the inserts in my fins; that they are just for storage. Alas, I had gotten used to the d@mn things, and sometimes still dive with them. I hope this doesn't make me a Dork Diver ?!?!?! :icon_smile_blush:

Doh, been there done that. Only I made it through most of my OW dives like that before the Instructor noticed. He wondered how that wasn't painful on the feet. Well, after playing hockey I can tell you few things in life are as painful on your feet as ice skates, especially when you're breaking in a new pair. I know I will run my current set into the ground before I replace them. And now to stay on topic....

I've seen an OW student be left by their instructor way behind while she was trying to stay surfaced hitting her power inflater but it wasn't hooked up. Fortunately my Instructor made a successful rescue after she went under.

I've seen a guy decide he wanted to try to do a back roll off of a dock only to hit his tank on the dock and his head on his valve.

I've personally walked down to do a giant stride entry and at one time or another have left behind my mask, fins, computer, and weights. Yea, our buddy check wasn't so great but we were only diving to 20 ft.

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 14:42

I don't know about that, I might give her benefit of doubt on that one that she really might have equlization issue.
That's a good point, and on reflection, I agree. Plus it is a basic tenet of diving that any dive should be able to be scrubbed at any time for any reason, without blame. Just because someone's a DM doesn't mean there can't be some reason why the dive just doesn't feel right... at which point it's a good idea to thumb the dive, regardless of experience level.

dallasdivergirl
08-08-2007, 17:09
When Tom & Greg & Mac & Karen were doing my OW confined dives they did turn off our air so that we knew what it felt like but they did tell us they were turning it off.

wxboy911
08-08-2007, 17:17
I used to swim up to my Nephews during our OW class and hit the fill button on their BC's...I will never forget the first time the started to float toward the surface with a shocked look on their faces. It looked like they thought something was pulling them from above. Only a game for the shallow pool but it was still fun.

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 17:20
I used to swim up to my Nephews during our OW class and hit the fill button on their BC's...I will never forget the first time the started to float toward the surface with a shocked look on their faces. It looked like they thought something was pulling them from above. Only a game for the shallow pool but it was still fun.

Not smart, and potentially very dangerous. You can get an embolism in 4 ft of water if you're holding your breath, which granted they should not have been doing but still.

No Misses
08-08-2007, 17:39
This is a repost from spearboard, of one of my stupid moves. Enjoy...

The surface conditions in Ft. Lauderdale were perfect on Saturday. The drawback of perfect conditions is that every fisherman and his brother are anchored over every divable wreck in the area. I ended up doing a lot of running on plane, while attempting to find structure to drop on. While running I noticed what appeared to be a turtle in distress. It was doing considerable splashing on the surface. I did a 180° and idled back to see if it was tangled in line or something. I reached the turtle at about the same time that a sportfish trolling baits closed from the opposite direction. So, here we are looking down at a pair of mating turtles. The only distress was the male trying to maintain his position on top. We all had a chuckle at our Good Samaritan effort turned voyeurism. Our laughter was quickly interrupted by shouting coming from the back of the sportfish. I was seconds away from running over their baits! I dropped both motors in reverse just in time to see the right outrigger bait cross under my bow. Now I really felt like a dumb ass. Not only had I interrupted the turtles. Now I was blindly running over trolled baits. If the shoe would have been on the other foot, I would have been cussing (me) so loud that people on shore would have been shocked.

scootermcfly
08-08-2007, 20:50
Another amusing story that I can share is when I was diving with my wife in a local lake. During the second dive of the day, we decided to hit the bouyancy course that is at about 20-25 feet. I had done it before and was waiting for my wife to go through a couple of the hoops, and after she went though, we headed for the course we plotted. She started to rise like she wasn't weighted properly and we couldn't figure out what was going on. I went down and found a decent size rock for her to hold on to try to get her to a point where she could stay down, but no luck. We called the dive a little later and headed home for the day. Later that day while cleaning everything off, I noticed one of her weight pockets was missing, and questioned her on where she had stored it. Come to find out, she didn't put it anywhere, it must have fallen out during her attempt at the bouyancy course and we never thought to check for that. So, had to order her some new weight pockets and we are going back to that location this weekend. What do you think the chances are that I find that weight pocket at the bottom since I had to spend the cash on new ones?

Scooter McFly

paintsnow
08-08-2007, 22:02
during my ow course i went down with a 500 psi tank
:\
i had forgotten to check my air on the surface, but i caught it as soon as i hit the bottom at 60 feet and glanced at my gauge which was in the red.

also after 8 days of 3 wet and very cold dives a day i kept catching myself almost peeing, on the surface, it normal clothes.

thankfully i reminded myself i wasnt in the water
XD

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 23:07
also after 8 days of 3 wet and very cold dives a day i kept catching myself almost peeing, on the surface, it normal clothes.

XD
Gotta watch that if you're switching from wet to dry a lot, too!

In one case, no problem... in another... OOPS!

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 23:11

XD
Gotta watch that if you're switching from wet to dry a lot, too!

In one case, no problem... in another... OOPS!

:smilie39: i can just picture it...

brandon
08-08-2007, 23:18
I took my rig off after a dive a few days ago, and left it balanced on a table.

I know better than this.

No sooner than I turn my back, it falls off the table, landing solidly on the first stage. Lots of loud hissing.

When we got back to the hall, I washed the mud off the reg and put it back on the tank. It worked fine.

Went to go gear up today, and found that I've bent the yoke and it will no longer seal properly to the tank. I can get it to seal, but it'll rupture again if its moved too much. Too risky to dive with it like this... it's in a box back to Scubatoys tomorrow.

Sigh.

I've beaten myself up pretty good over it.

-B.

cummings66
08-09-2007, 07:28
What do you think the chances are that I find that weight pocket at the bottom since I had to spend the cash on new ones?

If another diver hasn't found them it's possible you could stumble across it as you retrace the route. I've found a weight pocket for a buddy who lost one in a quarry, wasn't easy but I had a clue on where to search.

Check the dive shops nearby, sometimes when a diver finds something like that they'll drop it off there.

Wolfie2012
08-09-2007, 08:22

XD

Holy cow that's funny! I needed that laugh this morning! :smilie39:

Dive-aholic
08-09-2007, 11:39
If its a plan turn off of your tank where its planned as part of the training dive, I don't think that's that uncommon. Its good to find out when you are running out of air because you have a breath in your hose it just gets really tough.

That said, what that instructor did in turning air off without the prep is wrong. You could very easy get a panic diver, and hopefully you grabbing his reg showed him how foolish his stunt was.

There's a documented case of an OW student dying from an embolism in a pool. She was nervous, didn't have a full tank, and ran OOA. Her instructor didn't pay attention to the signs and when this happened, she bolted to the surface.

Dive-aholic
08-09-2007, 11:43

That's a good point, and on reflection, I agree. Plus it is a basic tenet of diving that any dive should be able to be scrubbed at any time for any reason, without blame. Just because someone's a DM doesn't mean there can't be some reason why the dive just doesn't feel right... at which point it's a good idea to thumb the dive, regardless of experience level.

Harshal, if you were there that entire week, I doubt you'd give her the benefit of doubt. She never complained about equalization problems before or after that dive.

CompuDude, I'm all for the thumb. Being a cave diver, it's our golden rule. I wasn't there when she thumbed it and I wouldn't fault her for thumbing it. If she was nervous or uncomfortable with the dive, fine. It was her ego that was an issue for me.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-09-2007, 13:37
Okay,
since we're sharing....

I'm sitting on the boat in the Bahamas (Stuart Coves) and my instructor is putting my fins on my feet. Yeah, yeah, I know, but I wasn't certified then, and well, fins can be hard to put on. (this WAS a discover scuba dive) Anyway, he had just finished telling me that I had to do EXACTLY what he said, at all times. So, he finishes putting on one fin, and then he holds up the other fin, and says "Now put this one on your hand." And like the dork I am, I (without any hesitation at all!) stick my hand out to receive the fin. :icon_rolleyes:

Everyone on the boat had a big laugh at my expense. The Captain did point out to my instructor that I DID do EXACTLY what he told me too!

I blame it on nerves, the hot tropical sun, and all those dm's with their wetsuit tops down, so tan......:icon_cheesygrin:

(Hope Kory's not reading this!)

Harshal
08-09-2007, 14:42
Another amusing story that I can share is when I was diving with my wife in a local lake. During the second dive of the day, we decided to hit the bouyancy course that is at about 20-25 feet. I had done it before and was waiting for my wife to go through a couple of the hoops, and after she went though, we headed for the course we plotted. She started to rise like she wasn't weighted properly and we couldn't figure out what was going on. I went down and found a decent size rock for her to hold on to try to get her to a point where she could stay down, but no luck. We called the dive a little later and headed home for the day. Later that day while cleaning everything off, I noticed one of her weight pockets was missing, and questioned her on where she had stored it. Come to find out, she didn't put it anywhere, it must have fallen out during her attempt at the bouyancy course and we never thought to check for that. So, had to order her some new weight pockets and we are going back to that location this weekend. What do you think the chances are that I find that weight pocket at the bottom since I had to spend the cash on new ones?

Scooter McFly

I know that is stupid situation, it happened to me, it was my first dive in and we had gone to Keys and we were at a small swim thru and if any of ppl who has dived there it was the spot where big grouper hang out and that one is big like 800 lbs.
I am getting ready to do a swim thru and that big fish comes head on so I am trying to back out and in the haste, my octo hose got entangled with weight release and I started raising up and almost got stuck to the roof of the swim thru……..lol
I had no idea what had happen, DM pulled me down and he had noticed my weight pouch falling out and he puts back my weight pouch……lol
It was funny.

bperrybap
08-09-2007, 19:23
One time while trying on wetsuits searching for
one that fit. I had tried on 4 different ones and was
getting tired and very frustrated. I got to the 5th and final one
and was having a heck of time getting my foot through
the opening. It was really tight. I finally got it through.
As I stood up to adjust the suit to get ready to pull up the
suit a bit and get ready for the left leg, I realized I had stuck my foot
through the arm hole..:yikes:

Luckily, I was in the dressing room and nobody saw my
mistake. Afterwards, I thought it was pretty funny.

--- bill

BSea
08-10-2007, 08:28
I heard about this 1 on SB (I think). Seems a guy was trying on a new wetsuit at home, and he was home alone. Everything was fine till he went to take it off, and the zipper was stuck. He finally had to call his wife to come meet him halfway from where she worked. To make matters worse, he really needed to pee, & he didn't want to do that in his wetsuit which was still new & dry. Well, if I remember right, he made it, but it was an uncomfortable ride to meet his wife.

What if he had been stopped by the cops. Now that would have been really funny.

Harshal
08-10-2007, 09:35
Pulled over in WetSuit that would be hard to explain ................

namabiru
08-10-2007, 11:08

XD

:smilie40: :smilie39: *chokes on popcorn*

Wow... that's a good one. You know, I just thought of the April Fools thread on ScubaBoard regarding the diver and his wetsuit...

Do you all remember? I'll try to see if I can find the thread.

Er, wait. if it's still findable... mmm... may not be, with the server crashing. Nuts! It was a classic though.

quarrydiver
08-11-2007, 18:25
there have been a couple times after long dives that I wondered if i'd be able to pull my arms and legs out of the 7mil...I just envision myself sitting on the shore stuck in my wetsuit.

quarrydiver
08-11-2007, 18:27
it's good to remember to TURN OFF the wetsuit heater when you get out of the water or you'll be stuck explaining what's running down your ankles.

plot
08-11-2007, 20:53
i always oraly fully inflate my bp/w before putting it on, then before jumping in the water i take a few good pulls off my reg just to make sure noone turned off my air... a few times noone turned it off, but i had forgotten to turn it on.

I do this right before jumping in, so I'll already be moving towards my giant stride when I realize my air is off and have to back out of it. Has happened like 3 times now

medic001918
08-11-2007, 21:45
i always oraly fully inflate my bp/w before putting it on, then before jumping in the water i take a few good pulls off my reg just to make sure noone turned off my air... a few times noone turned it off, but i had forgotten to turn it on.

I do this right before jumping in, so I'll already be moving towards my giant stride when I realize my air is off and have to back out of it. Has happened like 3 times now

Definatly a good idea. I've heard stories of people starting an uncontrolled descent by not having their BC inflated, and not having their air turned on. It can certainly end badly, especially if you panic or can't reach your valve with your rig on.

Shane

namabiru
08-13-2007, 12:54

He he... foot on, foot off. Foot on, foot off. Kind of like deckside aerobics, eh?

namabiru
08-13-2007, 12:58

--- bill

Until they get the webcam fixed for the dressing room at ST... mwahahahahahahahaha

I'm so pleased to learn that the things I most imagine happening to myself have actually happened to other people.

This one's non-diving, but what the hey.

I was in Doha, Qatar, on my visit to Cornell University's medical college to interview for my job, and we went to this shopping mall for dinner. Afterwards, we strolled around the mall, commenting on the Venice decor (will post a photo someday, it's ridiculously cool), and nature calls. So I go to the toilet, and proceed to relieve myself. I'm finished, and I'm trying to exit the bathroom door. I can't get it unlocked.

I fiddle and fiddle and fiddle with the lock, it won't come undone.

Finally by some miracle it comes undone, about 2 minutes later. There's a young woman washing her hands, and when I come out, she says oh good, I was afraid I'd have to call someone.

But I was so embarrassed. Can you imagine what the kind library staff would have thought, with the candidate locking herself in the toilet. They would have dined out for weeks on that.

coyote
08-13-2007, 13:52
Funniest thing I’ve ever seen happened the first part of this year. I was kneeling on a platform and a guy in a dry suit floated by. He was completely vertical, feet pointed straight up and swimming furiously with his arms.

namabiru
08-13-2007, 19:41
So did you wave cheerfully at him? :D

namabiru
08-20-2007, 13:26
I just thought of another thing. I was doing my search and recovery dive in AOW, so I had to swim in the spiral technique and turn. After I turned the first time, my instructor checked my heading to make sure I was correct. His eyes got confused, then he changed my bezel drastically. Turns out I forgot a circle had 360 degrees, and calculated from 300. Duh.

Hey, I was never good at geometry. Even basic math skills sometimes allude me. :)

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 13:56
I was doing a drift dive with 2 insta buddies, this was my first drift dive, all rental gear wearing a weight belt (the integrated weights were too light for me) and I'm holding the dive flag line.

We are slowly drifting along a ridge of coral, the 2 buddies are 5-6 ft ahead of me. The dive flag was pulling (it was windy out with some surface swells). I roll over to look at the underside of a coral outcropping, I then feel my weightbelt sliding off my butt....

The flag line had wrapped around my weightbelt end and one of the waves must have pulled it enough to loosen it....
The worst part is there I am frantically trying to hold onto the weightbelt, dive flag line and my insta buddies are now 50+ feet away oblivious to my situation......

rubberduck
08-20-2007, 14:12
I was kayak diving one day and when I surfaced I clipped the bc to the kayak as usual. Climb in take off the weights, mask, fins and start to paddle to shore. Then I realize i forgot to bring in the tank and BC. I turn around and the lease is gone, it came unclipped from the kayak.

Luckily I had only gone a short distance and I was in 15' of water. I paddled back and spoted my gear put the weights and fins back on and dove down for it.

I always fill it with air now when I clip it to the kayak.

All I could think about was some divers coming across it. We have all found a flashlight or gear clip but an ENTIRE SETUP! That and they would of called in a rescue team.

nightdiver
09-13-2007, 15:21
The most stupid thing I've done so far, and I'm sure it won't be the last. It was my very first Cozumel dive, about a month after my Open Water, I jumped in and started to descend, pinching my nose as I went down. My ears just would not clear, I went up a few feet and nothing. I fought this for several minutes. Then it hits me I was not blowing out my nose, I was just breathing normaly through the reg as I pinched the nose.

chinacat46
09-13-2007, 15:52
One of the funniest I've done was in Fiji. I was getting into the panga from the main boat. I handed my fins to the driver and got in the panga off balance and continued to the other side where I fell over the side into the water.

CompuDude
09-13-2007, 15:56
One of the funniest I've done was in Fiji. I was getting into the panga from the main boat. I handed my fins to the driver and got in the panga off balance and continued to the other side where I fell over the side into the water.

Now THAT would have been fun to watch! :smilie39: Good one!

chinacat46
09-13-2007, 15:59

Now THAT would have been fun to watch! :smilie39: Good one!

Yeah I got the award that night for the best move of the day. :smiley32:

tremtech
09-13-2007, 16:38
On Labor Day we went spear fishing on the Citrus County artificial reef in 30 fsw its about 20 miles offshore from Crystal River Fl. way to far to return and get my stuff .I forgot my gloves and wet suit in the truck , well I am pretty tough and the water temp was 85 degrees so I decided I'll just wear my t -shirt as a rash guard. It was a great dive lots of Snapper and a 400 pound Goliath grouper chased us, but after 61 minutes we surfaced and I started measuring out the fish, I started itching and then I realized that fish was not the only thing I caught, as of today you can still see the reef rash on both arms and yes it still itches (what a cone)

tremtech
09-13-2007, 17:40

Yes, lots of advanced classes, like Cave 1 and Tech 1, etc., have instructors who play dirty tricks like that. They don't do stuff like that in Fundies, even, though, where the divers are all advanced enough to handle it (theoretically), and I've never heard of it being done as part of an OW class.

I suppose it's possible to do it safely IF the student are known to be a solid bunch, well-prepared for the "drill", and an assistant is less then a foot or two away with a reg ready to donate in case of an issue.

For my DM training, I was taught that any time a student is going to have a reg out of his mouth, you need to be in touching distance... if not in physical contact.
In my rescue diver course,(note i have over 150 dives), the instruction was to simulate out of air, let your buddy swim out three kicks and keep swimming, blow out all air with reg out of mouth and then catch him and signal ooa buddy breath back to instructor in 5 feet of water. I kept thinking about how it looked on the PADI video so controled and patient it should be simple. When I finally caught him i broke his octo holder snatching the octo off his chest,what a spaz ,forget signaling ,he laughed (he has over 200 dives)but when it was his turn I think he felt the same way he head butted me trying to get the octo in his mouth the right way up. the next drill was in three feet of water kneeling, the instructors went around and advised us that they were turning off our air, we were to reach back and turn on your air while submerged, if you have never experienced this wow the first time is the worst. if you cant turn it on standup with the instructor standing right next to you, that was truly the first time i've had that feeling. after 5 time's it was easy, still dont ever want that feeling again

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 18:02
ha, I am good. I listened in OW class to save air you jump in with reg in mouth than switch to snorkel on the top while you wait for the rest of the group to get into the water. I'm good right? all good untill I started the decent. yup with the snorkel in mu mouth. talk about shooting to the surface. I was in like 4 feet of water but I think I ended up 4 feet above the surf. he he

Vegas
09-13-2007, 18:11
it's only taken me three times to learn ....

when I'm swimming along the surface, looking down and breathing through my snorkle,
. . . .if I should decide to roll over onto my back to make for a more relaxed swim -- spit out the snorkle.

:yes:

Capt Hook
09-13-2007, 19:47
We did about a hundred yard swim to a wreck, got there and just went down, took 1 breath to know I needed my reg not my snorkel!

CrzyJay456
09-13-2007, 19:54
it's only taken me three times to learn ....

when I'm swimming along the surface, looking down and breathing through my snorkle,
. . . .if I should decide to roll over onto my back to make for a more relaxed swim -- spit out the snorkle.

:yes:

done that once or twice! not fun.

Stingray Brett
09-13-2007, 20:06
I was about to descend and i accidently grabbed my snorkel i kept pressing the bottom of the snorkel like it was my bc inflator! then my instructor pionted out it was a snorkel not the inflator!! ha Im still a newb!

Defman
09-13-2007, 20:32
I was the guy in my OW class that didn't fully get the meaning of having a heavy tank on my back. Squated down to pick something up and BOOM... right on my duff!!

chefchris
09-14-2007, 10:54

--- bill

Yup, I did this at the dive site. Good thing I have a sense of humor and no pride issues.

During our OW Course I witnessed my girlfriend grabbing her snorkel instead of her inflator hose to surface. Still giving her crap about that.

bversteegh
09-14-2007, 22:26
I have a couple really dumb ones -

My old computer wasn't water activated - so you had to push a button first dive of the day. And if you got deeper than 5 feet, it wouldn't turn on until you surfaced - very embarrassing to have to return to the surface from about 40 feet while everyone is waiting for me - duh:smiley29:

Back when I first got certified in college, had only dived lakes/quarries in the midwest. My friend and I went on a road trip from Michigan to the East Coast to catch a few baseball games during our first vacation (we were summer coops with General Motors)- and we decided to try a wreck dive. Being 20 years old and stupid, we partied till about 2 am, then got back up at 6 am to catch the boat. Needless to say, we were both green by the time we got to the dive site - and as soon as we stopped and the boat starting pitching, we are both violently ill. I put the wet suit on and immediately got hot, sick again. I finally get in the water, and felt enough better to do the dive. My friend (who at the time only had about 4 lifetime dives) sits on the edge of the boat to do a back roll into the ocean, and his tank slips out of the backpack (he hadn't tighten the strap properly) and goes all the way to the bottom - the regulator free flowing the whole way down (old bc's didn't have autoinflators to attached the reg to the bc). I go down and get his tank, by the time I get back up to the surface, Jim is overheated, and really sick. He ended up sitting out both dives. Learned a big lesson that day - alcohol, late nights, and diving don't mix:smiley11:

maverick
09-18-2007, 11:27
I was doing my first in pool or second in pool at the shallow end about 4' and everyone put their face in the water with regulators in position. Well I had all of that in place and put my face in the water and everything looked kinda fuzzy. So while everyone still had their face in the water and paying attention 2 the DI I raised my face out of the water and figured out why everything was fuzzy I forgot 2 put my dive mask on. So I donned my mask and proceeded 2 put my face back in the water and no 1 was the wiser.