PDA

View Full Version : Florida Springs Info

Scotttyd
05-29-2008, 12:01
I am looking at making a trip to the florida springs dive site (blue grotto, devils den, etc.)
What exactly is there to see at these site for a pair of AOW divers (no cavern/cave) Is there aquatic life to see, or just rock formations, etc.?

doczerothree
05-29-2008, 19:13
If your looking for springs and Grottos in florida check out these guys.Dayo Scuba - Orlando Florida - Open Water, Cavern, Cave and Technical Scuba Training and Diving - Main Page (http://www.scubadiver.cc/) thier site can give you all the information you need:smiley20:

Scotttyd
05-30-2008, 09:26
Just wondering for a weekend trip am I better of going NC coastal diving - 3 hour drive, or making the treck to florida, (probably 10+ hour drive).

GodivaGirl
05-30-2008, 10:57
Just wondering for a weekend trip am I better of going NC coastal diving - 3 hour drive, or making the treck to florida, (probably 10+ hour drive).

I never been diving off the NC coast, but Florida has some good wreck sites (mostly boat dives) including the Oriskany near Pensacola (NW Florida). The Gulf may be a bit calmer than the Atlantic as well if you plan on doing some shore dives.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-30-2008, 11:05

Only you can answer that question. For me, the answer it obvious: NC coastal diving.

The dive shops up here all run trips to NFL (North Florida) in the Spring. The only people from here who go there at other times of year are frustrated wreck divers who can't get over their sea sickness and people who have somehow come down with a case of troglophilia.

Scotttyd
05-30-2008, 14:31

Only you can answer that question. For me, the answer it obvious: NC coastal diving.

The dive shops up here all run trips to NFL (North Florida) in the Spring. The only people from here who go there at other times of year are frustrated wreck divers who can't get over their sea sickness and people who have somehow come down with a case of troglophilia.
for our anniversary my wife said she will go on a weekend diving trip to the local of my choice, I can do wreck diving here a lot during the summer, but was really interested in the Manatees, but looking at the pictures of the springs, they seem rather boring, and you wil never never never never never never never get my wife in a cave, and you will never never never get me in a cave (just a few less never's). Although the problem is a lot of the weekend charters at AS or Discover/Olympus are filled, although we will probably push it back to September. (hopefully the water is still warm at that time)

diver-wife
05-31-2008, 16:07
personally any cave diver is a little crazy

ixrayu
05-31-2008, 17:17
We like Vortex but then again I love to play with bluegill! In fact,so far I have only dove springs or quarries and am not bored yet. Hubby and son goes into to the cavern at Vortex but no thank you. I snorkel while they are playing cavern explorers!

FXWX
06-04-2008, 20:44
I have lived in both states. What makes Florida's springs unique is really clear water. Where to go may depend on how tight a schedule you must maintain. You can get cancelled out any weekend in NC due to sea conditions or storms. If you go spring diving, it is typically available regardless of weather.

Devin27
06-24-2008, 14:46
ive been down devils den and manatee springs. they were both pretty cool at the time because they were mu open water check out dives, but now that ive been in the ocean they were so so. Devils den is full of cat fish and thats it, they are huge though. Manatee springs is very cool because you have a pretty good shot of seeing a manatee in the colder months like we did, that was very cool.

hope this helps

violakat03
06-27-2008, 04:01
I've done Blue Grotto and Devil's Den and honestly wouldn't go out of my way to go back to them. That's where we did our OW checkouts and it was ok, but nothing exciting. There was a rather shy turtle at BG but the other group of new divers silted the water up the second they got in and you couldn't see anything. Devil's Den had some big ol' catfish and a lot of rocks, and you just kind of swim in a circle. I found the reefs off of Ft Lauderdale a lot more interesting. Even the local quarries up here in Ohio sink things to make it more interesting. There's tons of huge fish in them but also things like cars, airplanes, boats, etc, to play in.

Dive-aholic
06-27-2008, 06:01
There's tons of huge fish in them but also things like cars, airplanes, boats, etc, to play in.

If you want that, then you need to go to 40 Fathom Grotto. Lots of stuff in there.

Personally, I like the springs in their natural state. Being that you did your checkouts there, you probably weren't given a lot of time to check out the true value of the springs. There are lots of fossils embedded in the limestone in the springs. Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are on the low side of the scale for interesting. Paradise Springs, Alexander Springs, Troy Springs, and many more have a lot more to offer than those 2 commercialized sites.

However, I will caution that I strongly believe that anyone who dives the springs get cavern diver training at the minimum. It's easy for things to turn bad very quickly. I have a couple of videos on my website (in my sig line) under the link Diving the fresh water springs. I advise anyone who is considering diving the springs to watch them.

floridabassman
08-15-2008, 11:40
ok, first of all, spring diving is awesome!

you dont have to rinse gear off

100ft + vis

many stripers, bass, catfish, bream, mullet, turtles, gators, gar, etc.

very cool rocks

72 degree water

in some springs you can see the layers in rocks w/ fossils

once you get far down, they all get kinda mystical looking

Gumby
08-15-2008, 13:03
We like to save the spring dives for winter, as the water is always in the lower 70s. Camping on site at this time of year is also comfortable.

My personal favorite is Ginny Springs. 3 different things to see at Devil's, plus a drift down the river to the main "ballroom". While it is a huge cavern, it is still considered open-water, so no special certs are neccessary.
Highly recommend doing a night dive here as well.
The official page of Ginnie Springs Outdoors, in High Springs Florida. Visit our online shop for great deals on dive gear and accessories. (http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/dive.php)

Side note: This site is expensive, but does have a nice campground and facilities. PS: bring your own firewood as they charge an arm and a leg.

The last spring we dove was Blue Springs, just north of Orlando. Not much to see (its a deep crevice), but a fun 70 ft dive followed with a nice shallow swim down the stream. Lots of nice 4+ florida gars to keep you entertained. Catch this spring at the right time, and you may be able to see manatees. If you do this dive, have time to explore the rest of this park, as it has some very nice views and flora to check out.

Dive-aholic
08-17-2008, 02:34
...the main "ballroom". While it is a huge cavern, it is still considered open-water, so no special certs are neccessary.

While the owners of the property surrounding the Ginnie Spring run consider the ballroom safe for OW divers, it is not an OW site. It is very much an overhead environment and holds all the dangers of one. There is even an area of the ballroom that is considered cave (beyond the cavern zone), and I'm not talking about the area behind the grate. I've been in the cave zone of the ballroom. Just because you don't need special certs to dive the ballroom from land doesn't mean the training isn't necessary. OW divers have died in the ballroom.

stairman
08-17-2008, 07:08
This is an old thread but I must agree that the springs have a beauty all their own and I wouldnt care to be entertained by swimming with an airplane or other crap and in fact would be pissed about it.Im no treehugger but the springs should be left pristine.The cavern at ginnie is a very safe dive for careful OWdivers.However as stated things can go wrong with the overhead and have.The room to the left will take you out of the cavern zone indeed.There is an escape at the ceiling thats tight but do able and brings you back in the cavern zone.I do not tire of the springs.Before my cave certs we would stay entertained by hitting several caverns in a day.Theyre all unique.

UCFKnightDiver
08-17-2008, 16:00
just finished my cavern cert today, and I would recommend then to everyone whether they want to dive caverns or not just because it improves your diving soo much.

the caverns and springs in florida are incredibly beautiful but be safe doing them!

BoomerNJ
08-17-2008, 17:04
There's tons of huge fish in them but also things like cars, airplanes, boats, etc, to play in.

If you want that, then you need to go to 40 Fathom Grotto. Lots of stuff in there.

Personally, I like the springs in their natural state. Being that you did your checkouts there, you probably weren't given a lot of time to check out the true value of the springs. There are lots of fossils embedded in the limestone in the springs. Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are on the low side of the scale for interesting. Paradise Springs, Alexander Springs, Troy Springs, and many more have a lot more to offer than those 2 commercialized sites.

However, I will caution that I strongly believe that anyone who dives the springs get cavern diver training at the minimum. It's easy for things to turn bad very quickly. I have a couple of videos on my website (in my sig line) under the link Diving the fresh water springs. I advise anyone who is considering diving the springs to watch them.

I remember that episode of Rescue 911 from when I was a kid. It is a sober reminder though of why divers without the proper training should stay out of caves & caverns. Thanks for posting that!

just finished my cavern cert today, and I would recommend then to everyone whether they want to dive caverns or not just because it improves your diving soo much.

the caverns and springs in florida are incredibly beautiful but be safe doing them!

I am looking forward to a cavern course sometime next year as well as GUE fundies just to improve my skills as a diver. As far as actual cave diving, I am pretty sure that's never gonna be my thing. I like to see daylight when I look up (or at least know I can head straight up if I need to)! Thanks all for the great thread & congrats Rox!:smiley20:

stairman
08-17-2008, 18:02
The caves sure arent for everyone.However with the intense training,safety drills practiced and redundant equipement I feel it offsets the danger.

UCFKnightDiver
08-17-2008, 18:28
thanks boomer

USF_Diver
08-18-2008, 10:29
Florida has many great spring dives alot not even known about.

Troy springs is nice just make sure you call before you go cause the river when high can overpower the spring and make it dark. I found that out the hard way when we showed up.

mike_s
08-18-2008, 13:50
I remember that episode of Rescue 911 from when I was a kid. It is a sober reminder though of why divers without the proper training should stay out of caves & caverns. Thanks for posting that!

My TIVO grabbed that episode a year or two ago and I watched it.

It clearly showed how you can get yourself in trouble by not knowing what you are doing or going in clueless and without the right equipment.

what was crazy about that was that they had just finished open water training and their instructor had warned them not to go in there.....

Joe_Tucker
09-01-2008, 14:44
I second the earlier post about Dayo Scuba. Tom did my AOW several years ago and he was great. He dives a lot of springs. Alexander Springs in the Ocala National Forest would be good for AOW, there are fish and turtles. It is 35 feet max from what I can recall and the only downside is that it's easy to get sand in your gear because of the all the swimmers stirring things up. Also I would consider blue springs and Tom would be great to go with there because it has some cavern features. Joe