PDA

View Full Version : iowa?

diver-wife
05-29-2008, 13:48
Are there any decent dive sites in Iowa? The in-laws are from there and was curious

K9Pig
05-29-2008, 16:35
What part of the state are you looking for dive spots? I could help you out with 2 on the west side of Iowa.

skdvr
05-29-2008, 16:38
The only place I know of is Lake Okoboji, up in the North West side of IA. My mother-inlaw lives on the lake so I have something to look forward to on visits at least...

Phil

K9Pig
05-29-2008, 20:59
One of the LDS has a rock quarry about 45 minutes southwest of Omaha in Melvern, IA. I believe it is about $10 to dive, but they have to be there when you're diving. They usually go every weekend. I personally have not dove this site, but haven't heard anything bad about it. I can hook you up with a contact name & number if interested. Just send me a PM.

There is also rock quarry by Atlantic, IA which is about an hour and twenty minutes east of Omaha. Not a bad dive. Plenty of good size fish. I haven't been there yet this year. I heard from a friend that vis is about 10'-12' with a surface temp of 62 degrees. There is usually a thermocline somewhere around 25' vis is usually 10'-15'. I think he said the temp was 45 degress below t-cline. If you are interested in this site send me a PM with a date & time and I'll see what I can work out for you.

K9:smiley30:

texdiveguy
05-29-2008, 21:04
Lake Okoboji is one of your best bets for diving.....great shop right there to service your needs and answer questions.

skdvr
05-29-2008, 21:51
Lake Okoboji is one of your best bets for diving.....great shop right there to service your needs and answer questions.

Blue Water Divers, if I am not mistaken. Nice group of people in there...

Phil

texdiveguy
05-29-2008, 23:15

Blue Water Divers, if I am not mistaken. Nice group of people in there...

Phil

Yep

Scotttyd
05-30-2008, 09:28
I used to live in iowa, Elk Horn, and I remember people fishing in that quarry in Atlantic, and seeing divers in Okoboji. Next time I am home I might have to check out the quarry. Is there anything sunk in there, or just fish? Who do you have to call to get permission to dive?

Scotttyd
05-30-2008, 09:29
There is also rock quarry by Atlantic, IA which is about an hour and twenty minutes east of Omaha. Not a bad dive. Plenty of good size fish. I haven't been there yet this year. I heard from a friend that vis is about 10'-12' with a surface temp of 62 degrees. There is usually a thermocline somewhere around 25' vis is usually 10'-15'. I think he said the temp was 45 degress below t-cline. If you are interested in this site send me a PM with a date & time and I'll see what I can work out for you.

I may take you up on that offer in the future
where do you live? I miss good ole Iowa, but NC has better winters, and better diving:smiley20:

K9Pig
05-30-2008, 15:19

where do you live? I miss good ole Iowa, but NC has better winters, and better diving:smiley20:

I live off 168th Harrison St., not for from Elkhorn, which just got annexed by Omaha. What a court battle that was!!! Send me a PM with any other questions.

skdvr
05-30-2008, 15:37

Where at in NC do you live. I moved from NC to Mo about 4 years ago. I wish that I was into diving when I was living in NC?

Phil

Scotttyd
05-30-2008, 19:34

Elk Horn Ia, not Elk Horn Nebraska, 15 minutes from Atlantic

I live off 168th Harrison St., not for from Elkhorn, which just got annexed by Omaha. What a court battle that was!!! Send me a PM with any other questions.

WV Diver
05-30-2008, 19:42
If I may piggyback on the OP's thread here a little. I have some family in Cedar Rapids and would love to dive when I visit. Any good places around there.

I have not been able to find much researching the net.

Scotttyd
05-31-2008, 06:01

Where at in NC do you live. I moved from NC to Mo about 4 years ago. I wish that I was into diving when I was living in NC?

Phil
I live in Raleigh now, I used to have family in Mo, but they are back in Des Moines now. There is not that many places better for Diving than NC (except Florida I guess ). I only wish a was a tad closer to the coast.