PDA

View Full Version : Oly SP350 & strobes too negative!!

Cheddarchick
08-06-2007, 17:39
Ok what do I use to make my OlySp350 with the Ikelite DS51 strobe more buoyant? That rig is now heavy even underwater...And I know it would sink like a rock if I ever loose the clip that attaches it to my BC... Any suggestions or just lift more weights?

dbh
08-07-2007, 05:08
What type arms are you using?

The first thing that comes to mind is for you to use buoyancy arms.

Dave

Cheddarchick
08-07-2007, 05:16
I ordered the kit for the Ikelite Strobe, so adding something else $$$$ to the rig is out of the question at this point. Need something cheap!

mmakay
08-07-2007, 16:51
Well, it won't be pretty, but there is a cheap and effective solution. Take some small diameter PVC and cap both ends. Use some plastic zip ties or tape to affix it to the strobe arm, and badda bing, you have a flotation arm.

Dabaras
08-07-2007, 21:27
I like the PVC idea, but you would either need two identical on each side of the system or more likely, one underneath the tray that was well centered for balance. Shouldn't cost more than $5. The lifting weights thing might help as well. Mine is tethered to me with 5 seconds of being in the water, so I don't worry too much about dropping it. If I clip it off without holding it, there are two clips just in case one fails.

Cheddarchick
08-08-2007, 08:29
Gonna try the pvc route. I will report back. Has anyone used a clip/retractor they love. I have the Magnaclip bit it is so heavy the magnets don't stay clipped together.

torrey
08-08-2007, 15:21
I have one of those magnetic clips that I received as a gift, but don't care much for it. I pretty much always use THIS CLIP (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3) for my camera, but then again I don't have a strobe.

If it were me, I wouldn't use a retractor...I'd be too afraid I would snap it if the camera got caught on something.

ian
08-25-2007, 12:42
Zip tie some custom cut pieces of swimming pool noodles to the arms.

Cheap. Replaceable. Easily found. Easily made.

Ian

Cheddarchick
08-25-2007, 18:09
Ohhh...Pool noodles. Wonder if I could fiberglass them to make them more durable

diversteve
08-25-2007, 18:53
Has anyone used a clip/retractor they love.
I made this one out of a Cetacea CRL-11 lanyard and a locking carabiner from an outdoor recreation store. I'm pretty sure it's not going to come off...

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/9/2/cetacea.jpg

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 19:27
nice which side to the camera?

diversteve
08-25-2007, 20:13
The caribiner fits through a hole in the bottom of the aluminum handle of my video housing and with it clipped off on my upper d-ring the camera actually hangs about waist level. So it's good for walking in on shore dives.