PDA

View Full Version : Running Tab - San Antonio Area Diving

mitsuguy
05-30-2008, 08:20
This will be a running thread for recent discussions on San Antonio area diving...

Next up: Sunday, June 1, Deep Diving and lift bag fun at Canyon Lake, North Park...

planned: 110-130 ft, no deco...

mm_dm
05-30-2008, 10:15
This will be a running thread for recent discussions on San Antonio area diving...

Next up: Sunday, June 1, Deep Diving and lift bag fun at Canyon Lake, North Park...

This just in: We leave at 7am (yawn). Is Starbucks open by then? Oh, wait...I'll just have a cup of Art's coffee- that stuff is illegal in several states.

mitsuguy
05-30-2008, 20:32

This just in: We leave at 7am (yawn). Is Starbucks open by then? Oh, wait...I'll just have a cup of Art's coffee- that stuff is illegal in several states.

ee-gad... leave at 7.... hmmmmmmm... who all else is going??? I think Danny said he was going, not sure about Eric... I can take my wifes car, but there's only enough room for two peoples gear (maybe 2 and a halfs)...

yah, no coffee for me... I think I'll do the standard liter of soda and then some to start out... guess I'll get there around 6:30ish...

mm_dm
05-31-2008, 09:18

ee-gad... leave at 7.... hmmmmmmm... who all else is going??? I think Danny said he was going, not sure about Eric... I can take my wifes car, but there's only enough room for two peoples gear (maybe 2 and a halfs)...

yah, no coffee for me... I think I'll do the standard liter of soda and then some to start out... guess I'll get there around 6:30ish...

Yeah, Danny is going to DM, so he's in. He'll probably drive since his truck can hold a lot of gear. Eric & Scott are supposed to go per Art. I thought they would take a break after being up there all last weekend and getting sunburned and all. That'll make the class and then the four of us to continue the search for the Weapons of Mass Destruction.

mitsuguy
06-01-2008, 18:24
we had a huge group if you include the class... always nice to see a bunch of people in the water...

too bad the viz was crap, but we still managed almost two hours in the water...

anyways, good dives, can't wait til next week...

mitsuguy
06-01-2008, 20:21
So I was looking up some info on the Clipper dive, and I realized - I've been on the boat that we are going on...

a few years back, the week after the 9/11 World Trade Center deal, a barge crashed into the causeway to South Padre, and the only way for us residents was to obviously use boat service, I am 99% sure that that was one of the boats the city hired for public service to/from the mainland...

mm_dm
06-02-2008, 07:40
So I was looking up some info on the Clipper dive, and I realized - I've been on the boat that we are going on...

a few years back, the week after the 9/11 World Trade Center deal, a barge crashed into the causeway to South Padre, and the only way for us residents was to obviously use boat service, I am 99% sure that that was one of the boats the city hired for public service to/from the mainland...

Then I'm sure you'll recognize Tim's bright, shiny smile:smiley36:

mm_dm
06-02-2008, 07:44
we had a huge group if you include the class... always nice to see a bunch of people in the water...

We'll have to find another route down from the deep platform. It was a little disappointing to come up to that tree at 110. The ground continued to slope down, so now I want to see where it bottoms out. I'll ask John what route he used.

mitsuguy
06-02-2008, 09:35

We'll have to find another route down from the deep platform. It was a little disappointing to come up to that tree at 110. The ground continued to slope down, so now I want to see where it bottoms out. I'll ask John what route he used.

I was thinking the direction you were headed was towards the dam, maybe try a different heading more towards the south...

mm_dm
06-04-2008, 07:29
Looks like I'll be up at the Old Same Place both days this weekend. I'll be helping Terry on Saturday, but on Sunday there's a guy going through DM right now that's supposed to show up. That might free me up for some rec diving. :)

mitsuguy
06-04-2008, 07:47
Looks like I'll be up at the Old Same Place both days this weekend. I'll be helping Terry on Saturday, but on Sunday there's a guy going through DM right now that's supposed to show up. That might free me up for some rec diving. :)

Well, looks like I'm going either way on sunday... :) bring the lift bags... we can move that scooter around...

mm_dm
06-04-2008, 13:21

Well, looks like I'm going either way on sunday... :) bring the lift bags... we can move that scooter around...

Today the scooter...tommorrow The World! Crap, now I let the cat out of the bag.

mitsuguy
06-05-2008, 07:58

Today the scooter...tommorrow The World! Crap, now I let the cat out of the bag.

Hah! never know what we'll find down there...

Anyways, I'm going diving (or, treasure hunting) tonight it looks like...

See ya sunday!

mitsuguy
06-07-2008, 16:02
Mike - how was the lake today (saturday)???

mm_dm
06-09-2008, 07:15

Sorry bro, I was cat-herding all weekend for Terry, didn't get near the computer. How about that chop at the surface? Any higher and we could have gone surfing instead.

mitsuguy
06-09-2008, 11:50

Sorry bro, I was cat-herding all weekend for Terry, didn't get near the computer. How about that chop at the surface? Any higher and we could have gone surfing instead.

no kidding... when I was in a swell sometimes, I couldn't see out of it... oh well, got me 3 dives in, so I was happy...

planning on diving again thursday night, but can't this coming weekend... gotta get ready for the clipper dives...

Jay_SMART_Diver
06-09-2008, 12:49
Hey where did you guys move the scooter to? Didn't see it when I was out there Tuesday the 27th.

mitsuguy
06-09-2008, 12:57
Hey where did you guys move the scooter to? Didn't see it when I was out there Tuesday the 27th.

we didn't move it, although we plan to :)

my only trip to it, I followed mm_dm to it, but if I recall, its pretty much due south from the stump...

mitsuguy
06-12-2008, 07:16
comal river tonight.. :)

mm_dm
06-12-2008, 07:29
Someone moved it up over the first wall, it's in about 19 feet of water. If you are headed down the wall from the platforms toward the Buick you'll see that buoy weight with the spikes sticking out at angles sitting on the bottom near the wall. If you go up and over the wall at that point it should be pretty much in front of you. We were going to move it back last weekend, but I ended up doing DM for a class both days.

Someone's been screwing with some of the structures up there, the newspaper box is up over the wall as well. Someone moved the Beetle right up against the wall in the other direction and now what was left of the roof has collapsed. There's not much up there to begin with and we don't need folks destroying what there is.

mitsuguy
06-17-2008, 08:12
Someone moved it up over the first wall, it's in about 19 feet of water. If you are headed down the wall from the platforms toward the Buick you'll see that buoy weight with the spikes sticking out at angles sitting on the bottom near the wall. If you go up and over the wall at that point it should be pretty much in front of you. We were going to move it back last weekend, but I ended up doing DM for a class both days.

Someone's been screwing with some of the structures up there, the newspaper box is up over the wall as well. Someone moved the Beetle right up against the wall in the other direction and now what was left of the roof has collapsed. There's not much up there to begin with and we don't need folks destroying what there is.

Alright, Clipper this weekend... Gotta call Art and make sure he's got my tanks ready :)

I was looking through pics of the dives on the Clipper, and saw one of the guys with a bright yellow pony bottle! So, obviously they are cool with it...

What time are you planning on getting there - are you staying in Brownsville or Harlingen? We are leaving Friday morning and staying in Harlingen... Gonna stop by and pick up tanks Thursday evening around 5:30 I suppose...

Can't wait, can't wait!

mm_dm
06-17-2008, 08:42
I'm staying at the Red Roof in Brownsville. It's the one right on the highway intersection where you go over to SPI. We're leaving Friday am so the wife and kid can get some sand time in...returning sometime Sunday.
Art said we're all supposed to meet up at American Diving 7am Saturday and that Tim expects to collect a 10% ($17.50) fuel surcharge per diver then...whatever. Danny is at the Red Roof as well. I think we have eight or nine in the group (I'll get a list from Art). Just trying to keep my mind on work between now and then.

mitsuguy
06-18-2008, 05:53
I'm staying at the Red Roof in Brownsville. It's the one right on the highway intersection where you go over to SPI. We're leaving Friday am so the wife and kid can get some sand time in...returning sometime Sunday.
Art said we're all supposed to meet up at American Diving 7am Saturday and that Tim expects to collect a 10% ($17.50) fuel surcharge per diver then...whatever. Danny is at the Red Roof as well. I think we have eight or nine in the group (I'll get a list from Art). Just trying to keep my mind on work between now and then.

Art told me that we were supposed to meet at 6 AM and leave at 7 AM...

yah, work... or something like that...

mm_dm
06-18-2008, 07:36

Art told me that we were supposed to meet at 6 AM and leave at 7 AM...

yah, work... or something like that...

6am? That's alright, I'll probably sleep like sh*t anyway.

mitsuguy
06-27-2008, 07:53
sunday diving??? anyone?

mm_dm
06-27-2008, 08:07
sunday diving??? anyone?

I'm going up Saturday, the wife has to work some on Sunday. I think Danny is going up Sunday, I'll check it out and confirm a little later.

mm_dm
06-27-2008, 14:24
Danny is going up Sunday- call Art and have him put you on the list. :smiley20:

mitsuguy
06-27-2008, 22:00
Danny is going up Sunday- call Art and have him put you on the list. :smiley20:

done deal :)

mm_dm
06-28-2008, 19:35
Man, what a drag after the Clipper and 100ft viz last weekend. Oh well, only Scott and Eric to share the lake with, so we got in two good dives. water is down about 3 feet and viz is well, the usual. I did see two stripers today. Scott and Eric are camping out and Danny will be up there tommorrow as well, maybe a couple of others. Still have that scooter to move back where it belongs...

mitsuguy
06-28-2008, 19:50
Man, what a drag after the Clipper and 100ft viz last weekend. Oh well, only Scott and Eric to share the lake with, so we got in two good dives. water is down about 3 feet and viz is well, the usual. I did see two stripers today. Scott and Eric are camping out and Danny will be up there tommorrow as well, maybe a couple of others. Still have that scooter to move back where it belongs...

ah come on mike, at least it's water... :)

down 3 more feet? thats more walking :)

and it also means everything is 3 feet shallower... hmmmm.... i'll see who is going up tomorrow, might have to go off on my own depending...

mm_dm
06-28-2008, 20:24
ah come on mike, at least it's water... :)

Looked more like weak pea soup:smiley19:

down 3 more feet? thats more walking :)

Hauling doubles and such:smiley19:

and it also means everything is 3 feet shallower... hmmmm.... i'll see who is going up tomorrow, might have to go off on my own depending...[/quote]

I'm all over that. My favorite tech diver was supposed to show today, but called in a rain check instead, so poor Danny was stuck with me. I was going to blow them off and go work on perfecting something or the other, but then the Gods of Scuba smiled upon me.:smiley32:

mitsuguy
06-29-2008, 20:27
had two great dives this morning... 1st one 66 minutes, 86 ft max depth... 2nd dive 71 minutes, 55 ft max depth...

Mark is a great reference - he definitely knows his stuff - lots to learn from him :)

mm_dm
06-29-2008, 20:39
had two great dives this morning... 1st one 66 minutes, 86 ft max depth... 2nd dive 71 minutes, 55 ft max depth...

Mark is a great reference - he definitely knows his stuff - lots to learn from him :)

Mark is the bomb, even John says it. Mark will be retiring from the Air Force in August and moving to Kalifornia. I'm going to try to dive with him as much as possible till then. You should see the video of his advanced trimix students' skills...no visible flaws what so ever.

mitsuguy
07-20-2008, 14:28
the wife and go to finish up our Rescue cert next sunday (27th), but, the weekend after that I get two days that I can prolly head back to el canyon.... she might even come with, but if so, I'll have to stay above the thermocline... 65 degrees is about as cold as she'll tolerate for any period of time...

mm_dm
07-20-2008, 16:55
the wife and go to finish up our Rescue cert next sunday (27th), but, the weekend after that I get two days that I can prolly head back to el canyon.... she might even come with, but if so, I'll have to stay above the thermocline... 65 degrees is about as cold as she'll tolerate for any period of time...

That's still roughly 60 ft. I had 63 degrees at 64 ft earlier today. It was quite a zoo up there this weekend. Dive World was up there both days (no problem), but there were two other large groups up there on Saturday (problem). Dive World timed their dives to go in when we were out and used the other platform,etc. which worked out well. Fortunately, it doesn't get like more than a couple of groups too often.

Sunday was just our two groups, so we didn't even see each other in the water. We had a woman in the class who was, by far, possible the best student I can remember coming through any of the classes. Her trim and positioning in the water was perfect. She could hold her stop after only a couple of dives. After Jeff got done with skills on the last dive I took her and another woman on a dive. Total dive time was over 75 minutes and the "fish" still came back with 1800 pounds of air. She said she was just breathing normally and didn't understand what the big deal was. Go figure...I'd love to see what she comes back with once she gets "comfortable" with diving. Her dad and sister showed up the second day and dove with her, which was cool.

Glad you're almost done with Rescue. If it's taught right it can be quite a workout...and I'm sure you'll be taught right. Be sure to lather up with the sunscreen. I get burnt to a crisp every time I work with one of those. That's something I like to do as well...when there's a Rescue class, I volunteer to be the victim and I get a good review. I don't think you can practice that stuff too much.

It would be great if Diamond came up and saw our little projects. We still have the scooter to move...

Anyway- long time no see. Let's go dive!

mitsuguy
07-20-2008, 18:24
rescue is tougher for her than me... we've been practicing rescuing each other, and her step father... she weighs in at a feathery 105 lbs, whereas he is like 170 and I'm almost 200... it was definitely a struggle for her to get us out of the pool, but she made it happen... considering I'm almost double her weight, it's quite an accomplishment to move me even...

mm_dm
07-20-2008, 20:11
rescue is tougher for her than me... we've been practicing rescuing each other, and her step father... she weighs in at a feathery 105 lbs, whereas he is like 170 and I'm almost 200... it was definitely a struggle for her to get us out of the pool, but she made it happen... considering I'm almost double her weight, it's quite an accomplishment to move me even...

Better be nice to her then, bro!:smiley20: Always nice to have someone who has a vested interested in you living responsible for your safety. Dude, the guy I did Rescue with was 7 foot, 300 lbs, no lie. I was shaking when I got done with the actual diver tows in OW. I thought I was dragging a cement barge. Some day, I will get even with him; I have plans...yes, I have plans...:smiley36: We'll start with food coloring tablets in his boots or maybe a Alka Seltzter tablet in his reg. Bitter? Me?:smiley36:

mm_dm
07-30-2008, 07:30
Hey Cody, you coming up this weekend? Be sure to call Art, Ron's got a big class and I wouldn't want you to get bumped. Sure is a PIA, what the Corp of Engineers puts us through to get in to the lake.

mitsuguy
07-30-2008, 07:44
Hey Cody, you coming up this weekend? Be sure to call Art, Ron's got a big class and I wouldn't want you to get bumped. Sure is a PIA, what the Corp of Engineers puts us through to get in to the lake.

good idea... I'll call today :)

I'll be there saturday... you?

mm_dm
07-30-2008, 12:44
Yeah, I'm figuring Saturday. Hope the rain helped the water level. It was down a little more last visit, but the good rain should've helped.

mitsuguy
08-03-2008, 22:41
I managed to get in two more dives today (sunday) at the lower comal... one tank though :) dove the lower, got out, walked back, dove it again, walked back to my car and took off :)

almost 2 hours and still had like 600 psi left...

mm_dm
08-04-2008, 08:08
I managed to get in two more dives today (sunday) at the lower comal... one tank though :) dove the lower, got out, walked back, dove it again, walked back to my car and took off :)

I thought about doing that, but I used up my good karma credits with the wife on Saturday. I guess we'll have to go back along that same route and bring back that anchor next time. We could probably set up a booth in Academy's parking lot and sell the anchors we find back to the boaters. Part of the sales pitch could be "and for an extra ten bucks we'll teach you how to tie a friggin knot".

mitsuguy
08-06-2008, 09:11

I thought about doing that, but I used up my good karma credits with the wife on Saturday. I guess we'll have to go back along that same route and bring back that anchor next time. We could probably set up a booth in Academy's parking lot and sell the anchors we find back to the boaters. Part of the sales pitch could be "and for an extra ten bucks we'll teach you how to tie a friggin knot".

Not this sunday unfortunately... I'll be at Medina Lake doing the DMC thing... :)

mm_dm
08-06-2008, 12:33
Good deal! Maybe some of your good dive buddy skills will rub off on them.:smiley20:

BlueC5Kitten
08-18-2008, 21:18
Wish I had been able to dive the Clipper this past weekend...they called the dive due to zero viz. :smiley5: Won't get another chance to get out there until next year now, looks like!

Coaster
08-18-2008, 21:46
Sorry to hear that....zero viz ...the Texas Clipper?....in the ocean...wow!

mitsuguy
08-18-2008, 22:17
ah come on... zero? hehehe... that sucks, sorry!

should be another trip in september...

if not, then yes, next year :(

til then, you can drool over my pictures of it...

mm_dm
08-19-2008, 10:58

I'm beginning to think we got the only good dive this year, ja know?

mitsuguy
08-19-2008, 14:39

I'm beginning to think we got the only good dive this year, ja know?

yah, that definitely worked out pretty damn good...

BlueC5Kitten
08-19-2008, 22:12

That's what the Dive Op said...ZERO viz at 100 feet! I was surprised, and sorely disappointed, but seems the Mississippi was dumping a bunch of crap into the Gulf.

There is another trip in September, but I will be in Bonaire for that one...so again, next year it is! :smiley13: Hopefully, there will be some better growth by then anyway!

And yes, I will continue to drool over your pics! :P

mm_dm
08-20-2008, 07:30

That's what the Dive Op said...ZERO viz at 100 feet! I was surprised, and sorely disappointed, but seems the Mississippi was dumping a bunch of crap into the Gulf.

There is another trip in September, but I will be in Bonaire for that one...so again, next year it is! :smiley13: Hopefully, there will be some better growth by then anyway!

Bonaire? Now I'm the one who is drooling:smiley19:

mitsuguy
08-21-2008, 08:02

yup...

anyone going diving tonight? was hoping this rain would let up... I've only been in the pool the last two weeks, and 11ft max depth is just not cutting it...

mm_dm
08-21-2008, 08:25

yup...

anyone going diving tonight? was hoping this rain would let up... I've only been in the pool the last two weeks, and 11ft max depth is just not cutting it...

Check with Art, normally I'd say yes, but with all the rain earlier this week it might still be muddy. I have a refresher to do tonite, so I'll be in the pool (I can truly relate to what you're saying). The Podiatrist wants me in dry dock for a spell to help heal the never-ending-athletes-foot-from-hell I've got, but I don't think I can handle doing that. I figure I may just have to dive to get over the 250 bucks I shelled out yesterday for his services, sprays, ointments and what not (thank God for insurance, otherwise I probably would have spent what, 250 bucks?). Seems fair, no? Wife and kid out of town and the freakin doc wants me not to dive? Heresy!

BlueC5Kitten
08-21-2008, 12:09

Yep, Bonaire...I'm so hyped about it...trying to get together some last minute goodies for the trip...like an HID dive light and a strobe for my little digital camera.

yup...

I'm doing the swimming thing tonight, myself. Just can't get too excited about the Comal anymore, tragically....though the tuber droppings are definitely inticing! And the Sept. Clipper trip doesn't overlap with Bonaire...but I will be in Dallas the weekend they are going...so yeah, TX Clipper will be reserved for next year, I suppose....after I come harrass you in Utila! :smiley36:

Check with Art, normally I'd say yes, but with all the rain earlier this week it might still be muddy. I have a refresher to do tonite, so I'll be in the pool (I can truly relate to what you're saying). The Podiatrist wants me in dry dock for a spell to help heal the never-ending-athletes-foot-from-hell I've got, but I don't think I can handle doing that. I figure I may just have to dive to get over the 250 bucks I shelled out yesterday for his services, sprays, ointments and what not (thank God for insurance, otherwise I probably would have spent what, 250 bucks?). Seems fair, no? Wife and kid out of town and the freakin doc wants me not to dive? Heresy!

My bet is, it's been too rainy too recently...and I know they had some more storms up that way as recently as yesterday...when we were supposed to get more rain, but didn't. Hmmmm...athlete's foot, eh? Not sure you'll find a cure for what ails ya in the lake or the river, but if you need to take some down-time for sanity's sake, it may be wise. Seems fungal infections, like athlete's foot, can often be exacerbated by stress! :smiley20:

mm_dm
08-21-2008, 12:54
Hmmmm...athlete's foot, eh? Not sure you'll find a cure for what ails ya in the lake or the river, but if you need to take some down-time for sanity's sake, it may be wise. Seems fungal infections, like athlete's foot, can often be exacerbated by stress! :smiley20:

Stress...what, me worry? No, really, that would explain my job. All the more reason to go dive...but I will have to get real about this thing sometime soon. Thanks for the advice :)

mitsuguy
08-27-2008, 14:08
Alright... skipping the pool and the DM stuff (kinda) for a day, so I'll be at canyon this sunday...

Bringing the wife even...

We're going to do a underwater map of canyon lake as part of the DM requirements...

mm_dm
08-27-2008, 14:57
Alright... skipping the pool and the DM stuff (kinda) for a day, so I'll be at canyon this sunday...

Bringing the wife even...

We're going to do a underwater map of canyon lake as part of the DM requirements...

I was thinking Sunday as well, maybe get a couple of decos in with the drysuit to keep in practice. Scott and Eric will be in residence all weekend and Terry has a small OW class. Danny just did a map for his DM, I'll see if I still have a copy if you want to see how he did his. I'll be at the shop tonite to drop off gear from a refresher and I'll have Art put you both on the list if you like. Instead of masks and compasses, just bring sunglasses and a white cane...the viz grinch is up to his old tricks again:)

Oh, BTW, there are a couple of news cars that the guys found.

BlueC5Kitten
08-27-2008, 15:26
Wow....she's agreed to dive Canyon!!!

If I didn't have to pick someone up at the airport that afternoon, I'd come out to play too! Probably why I am leaning more toward the Comal at this point for Sunday...provided the weather holds. :smiley20:

Heavy D
08-27-2008, 23:57
Hey kitten, are you still looking for an HID for Bonaire? As a regular at DD, I might be willing to help you out. Just shoot me a pm or email and we can talk.

mitsuguy
08-28-2008, 07:55

If I didn't have to pick someone up at the airport that afternoon, I'd come out to play too! Probably why I am leaning more toward the Comal at this point for Sunday...provided the weather holds. :smiley20:

Yah, well, she knows that for us to complete DM, we're gonna have to spend some time in our lovely local lakes...

Mike - yah, mention it to Art, but I'll prolly call him sometime today as well... If he still has a copy, that'd be cool, I'm gonna bring the GPS, and have some fun with it out there... new cars??? where in the world? I thought we'd scouted most of the area...

mm_dm
08-28-2008, 09:02

Yah, well, she knows that for us to complete DM, we're gonna have to spend some time in our lovely local lakes...

Mike - yah, mention it to Art, but I'll prolly call him sometime today as well... If he still has a copy, that'd be cool, I'm gonna bring the GPS, and have some fun with it out there... new cars??? where in the world? I thought we'd scouted most of the area...

I was at the shop last nite and asked Art to put you both on the list for Sunday, but you may want to remind him as there were other things going on while I was there.

From what I could gather from Scott, one of the cars is out along that wall that you and I were going to dive that time, it's just further along and at about 80-85 feet. Danny said he found another along the wall near the root ball (going away from the dam) at about 80-85 feet.

Someone moved the row boat all the way over to where the down line is to the root ball and the cable on it is still attached and crosses one of the other lines (not good IMHO). I guess we have a project or two moving things back where they won't tangle someone up or get torn up by being too accessible.

At least none of the cars had 'residents'...except maybe a couple of homeless divers named Scott & Eric:)

mitsuguy
08-29-2008, 20:23
Talked to Art today... he asked if we'd buddy up with another - evidently his fiancee is in the class this weekend and he wants to go to the lake, but he hasn't dove in the lake before... boy is he in for a treat...

:)

mitsuguy
08-29-2008, 22:20
I just got a GPS receiver and have been playing with it (its a handheld, for hiking, whatnot)... Anyways, been looking at topo maps of northpark, and I think those trees that we've run into down there by the deep platform are the trees that might typically border the river... if you look at the topo map I have right now, it shows that where we've been going is exactly where the river is... anyways, I'm gonna play with it this weekend, see what we find out...

mm_dm
08-30-2008, 10:35
I just got a GPS receiver and have been playing with it (its a handheld, for hiking, whatnot)... Anyways, been looking at topo maps of northpark, and I think those trees that we've run into down there by the deep platform are the trees that might typically border the river... if you look at the topo map I have right now, it shows that where we've been going is exactly where the river is... anyways, I'm gonna play with it this weekend, see what we find out...

You are quite correct. Jerry had a topo at one point and you could see the path pretty clearly there. He put his GPS in a little dry bag, like the kind you'd have for a phone and paddled out on the surface to where we had a bag tied off. From there he had a series of points he was working on and I don't know what became of that, since he hasn't been up in awhile. I'd like to get that going again in some capacity, that stuff is fun to me. Just a matter of a safe way thru the trees...I think Danny had some ideas on that from his explorations. It gets deep pretty quick at that point as well and the level of risk goes up considerably, as you know. We'll find a safe route, I'm sure.

mm_dm
08-30-2008, 10:39
Talked to Art today... he asked if we'd buddy up with another - evidently his fiancee is in the class this weekend and he wants to go to the lake, but he hasn't dove in the lake before... boy is he in for a treat...

:)

Yeah, I'll talk some more about this with you Sunday am:)

mitsuguy
08-30-2008, 22:54

You are quite correct. Jerry had a topo at one point and you could see the path pretty clearly there. He put his GPS in a little dry bag, like the kind you'd have for a phone and paddled out on the surface to where we had a bag tied off. From there he had a series of points he was working on and I don't know what became of that, since he hasn't been up in awhile. I'd like to get that going again in some capacity, that stuff is fun to me. Just a matter of a safe way thru the trees...I think Danny had some ideas on that from his explorations. It gets deep pretty quick at that point as well and the level of risk goes up considerably, as you know. We'll find a safe route, I'm sure.

you prolly wont see this before I talk to you in person, but, the basic plan is to put my GPS in a semi-waterproof bag (the GPS itself is water resistant as well, so as long as its not submersed more than a foot or so, it would be ok by itself anyways), then tether that to my SMB about half way up the SMB that way if I pull down on it a little, it will just stand upright instead of submerse the GPS... then just float it along the whole route... AFAIK, the only tree that might get in the way to the deep platform would be the one where the line runs out to it, which is easily avoidable...

we'll see...

mm_dm
09-01-2008, 20:13

you prolly wont see this before I talk to you in person, but, the basic plan is to put my GPS in a semi-waterproof bag (the GPS itself is water resistant as well, so as long as its not submersed more than a foot or so, it would be ok by itself anyways), then tether that to my SMB about half way up the SMB that way if I pull down on it a little, it will just stand upright instead of submerse the GPS... then just float it along the whole route... AFAIK, the only tree that might get in the way to the deep platform would be the one where the line runs out to it, which is easily avoidable...

we'll see...

You missed your true calling, my friend, as a inventor. After I arrived, I was walking around saying hello to folks for a few minutes...when I went back over to the table where Jerry and I were gearing up he asked me "are you running for Mayor?". After that I had a nickname, at least for the day, with Scott and Eric. I told my wife I missed my true calling as a politician and she just laughed. Women.

How were those two guys you ended up with? I was so busy playing mad scientist with my gear/trim I didn't get a chance to chat with you before taking off.

Heavy D
09-02-2008, 21:02
Sounds like you all had a good time. I wanted to come so badly, but didn't want to chance it because I'm just getting over my cold. I still need to setup my BP/W and figure out my weights for buoyancy with my drysuit. Maybe next time. Hopefully this weekend will be better if anyone is going.

mitsuguy
09-02-2008, 21:08
Sounds like you all had a good time. I wanted to come so badly, but didn't want to chance it because I'm just getting over my cold. I still need to setup my BP/W and figure out my weights for buoyancy with my drysuit. Maybe next time. Hopefully this weekend will be better if anyone is going.

I had a great time... My wife even enjoyed the low vis diving... kinda amazing... The two that were with us did pretty good as well on the subsequent dives... I misplaced the downloader for my GPS so I can't get the readings off of it - I think it's at work, so I'll check tomorrow and hopefully find it...

No diving for me this weekend, I gotta work both days... :(

mm_dm
09-05-2008, 07:43

Bring it around some time and I'll be happy to help you set it up as well as get your weighting for the DS.

Heavy D
09-05-2008, 16:57
That would be great. I actually put it together last night but I'm not sure if it's right. Just want somebody to double check it for me. I'm helping Tom with a rescue class in the morning and then will be at the shop most of the day after that because I'm starting the classroom portion of my Master Diver with John tomorrow afternoon.