PDA

View Full Version : Tank Color

Geoff_T
05-30-2008, 18:27
Yes I know this is a purely superfluous thing but. I have always wondered what is everybody’s favorite tank color, And why if there is a reason.

comet24
05-30-2008, 18:34
I am happy with just plain steel. Now I will say in a quarry with a OW class some bright yellow would be nice.

CompuDude
05-30-2008, 18:59
I chose "other", since the gray color of galvanized steel tanks wasn't listed. ;)

If you were referring solely to aluminum tanks, I'd choose the brushed finish.

SkuaSeptember
05-30-2008, 19:02
Any color as long as its faded, peeled, chipped and blistered! :smiley2:

Charles R
05-30-2008, 19:05
Faber White:smiley20:

WV Diver
05-30-2008, 19:05
Any color as long as its faded, peeled, chipped and blistered! :smiley2:Don't forget scrapped, scared, and with bits of other tanks colors on it.

I agree, although I voted black, galvanized is my second choice then Yellow.

ReefHound
05-30-2008, 19:06
What's a clear tank? One you can see through?

Geoff_T
05-30-2008, 19:07
I chose "other", since the gray color of galvanized steel tanks wasn't listed. ;)

aah I had figured that the clear would cover that choice

texdiveguy
05-30-2008, 19:16
I voted other cause I am wanted to vote for 2 colors: standard gray and black.

jtkkym
05-30-2008, 19:20
I like shot blast because it doesn't show scratches as much as painted one.

rawalker
05-30-2008, 19:25
I have 1 yellow and 1 lime.
I guess if I start using Nitrox regularly I'll have 1 O2 cleaned and labeled and collect a few more tanks.
Now that my wife is completing her OW having a few more tanks is likely to be in my future anyway.

Mtrewyn
05-30-2008, 19:39
I don't like the painted ones, it seems like the bc straps hold better on ones that are brushed or shot peened

CompuDude
05-30-2008, 19:59
I predict Other and Shot Blast are going to lead the way, followed by Black.

I could be wrong, but let's see how my prediction goes! LOL

Rileybri
05-30-2008, 20:19
What kind of paint is used on tanks? how difficult would it be to do a custom DIY paint job?

Geoff_T
05-30-2008, 20:26
What kind of paint is used on tanks? how difficult would it be to do a custom DIY paint job?

I have seen it done. Years ago padi I think was selling tanks that were painted with reef motifs similar to what you might find on dive shirts. It was some kind of fundraiser for their reef foundation or somthing or other. I saw a couple of these in the divers direct store on largo. As for the process it looked like an airbrush of some kind. What they used for the paint, your guss is as good as mine.

Largo
05-30-2008, 20:37
Reportedly (Don't know this for a fact), sharks like to bite things that are yellow.

However, I have also heard that sharks don't like eating scuba cylinders, as it makes them a little gassy.

longtailbda
05-30-2008, 20:43
easier to see and not as common as others so easier to identify.

BSea
05-30-2008, 20:55
I picked "OTHER" also because of gray galvanized tanks. I have seen clear over aluminum, so I didn't select that. This seems like more of a choice for aluminum tanks.

in_cavediver
05-30-2008, 20:59
I personally prefer that dived in look. You know, chipped paint, scratches and an overall not so new patina to it. My collection includes PST Galvanized Grey, Faber White, Yum Yum Yellow and shot blast Al.

fisheater
05-30-2008, 21:18
Another vote for Faber white.

Lone Frogman
05-31-2008, 03:46
Color doesn't matter to me, I can't see my tank when its on my back. I vote the color of steel.

mselizann
06-01-2008, 19:36
I just got a complement on my bright yellow tanks today!

moosicman
06-01-2008, 21:11
No yum yum yellow for me...the hungries are drawn to it they say. good old gray aluminuom

CFDAlden
06-01-2008, 23:28
I personally like the shotblasted look, but, wife had to have the lime yellow colors, so she could see me easier. Ah well, the more they're used, the more they're beat up. :p

Geoff_T
06-01-2008, 23:37
No yum yum yellow for me...the hungries are drawn to it they say. good old gray aluminuom

Is there any truth to this, I always thought that it was more of an urban legend. I would be curious if there have been any study done on this.

scootermcfly
06-02-2008, 09:27
I voted for white-it shows up pretty well at depth and all of my tanks are white....Faber White. I love the Blue Steel!

mselizann
06-02-2008, 12:34
well, I use my yellow tanks in quarries and lakes- no sharks there

I looked this up -DAN says only one possible incident of bright colors attracting sharks- a diver who had animal tattoos displayed on bare flesh- they say the contrast may have attributed to the shark's interest

of course if you do an internet search you see a lot of non-expert advice....
wasn't this on mythbusters once?

Geoff_T
06-02-2008, 15:14
well, I use my yellow tanks in quarries and lakes- no sharks there

I looked this up -DAN says only one possible incident of bright colors attracting sharks- a diver who had animal tattoos displayed on bare flesh- they say the contrast may have attributed to the shark's interest

of course if you do an internet search you see a lot of non-expert advice....
wasn't this on mythbusters once?

I wish they could be more specific by animal do they mean large fish tatoos? If so I kinda have to think that is a hazard of getting a tat that looks like shark bait.

ChrisA
06-02-2008, 15:26
Why did you leave off the most comon 'color"? Around here half the tanks, maybe more, at "hot dip galvanized" as made of PST, Worthington or the like. After that the second favorite is "Faber White".

WD8CDH
06-02-2008, 15:42
Other: Galvanized for steel and natural heat treated gray for aluminum. Unfortunatly, you can only get the natural heat treated grey on aluminum 80s. and a few military tanks (like I have).

Geoff_T
06-02-2008, 17:05
Why did you leave off the most comon 'color"? Around here half the tanks, maybe more, at "hot dip galvanized" as made of PST, Worthington or the like. After that the second favorite is "Faber White".

When I put this together I used the colors avalible from the ST web site. I did not think about hot dip galvanized because I figured it is basicaly the same as an AL with a clear finishe ie. grey.

Largo
06-02-2008, 21:11
Don't worry Geoff. When you post a poll, there is always someone around to tell you why you did it wrong. Can't be helped.

mobeeno
06-02-2008, 21:20

I would like to copy CompuDude's answer because it suits me.

caroln
06-03-2008, 09:25
I'm liking my candy red doubles a lot right now, but any tank I can throw on my back and dive is good by me.

No Misses
06-03-2008, 10:36
Either plain Galvanized Steel or brushed AL. I do not want any "paint" on my tank. As the paint wears, it starts to chip. These chips hold salt and promote corrosion. Give me bare metal every time. If I could get away with it, I would not even have a VIP sticker on my tanks. JM2c

diverdan_51
06-03-2008, 21:13
I prefer bright yellow tanks as well as bright yellow fins because they're easier to see in murky water. Better to be safe!

DUnder
06-04-2008, 11:19
I voted yellow but white and lime also work well for me. I dive in low viz so the bright colored tanks make it easy to see your buddy

diver-wife
06-04-2008, 11:43
Any color as long as its faded, peeled, chipped and blistered! :smiley2:Don't forget scrapped, scared, and with bits of other tanks colors on it.

I agree, although I voted black, galvanized is my second choice then Yellow.
It makes you look like a hardened divers, with thousands of dives, I love the look of a used tank

CaptRoger
06-04-2008, 12:19
Clear, I like being able to see inside the tank :icon_smile_big:

Brushed for aluminum, Galvanized for steel.

CompuDude
06-04-2008, 19:23

I have seen it done. Years ago padi I think was selling tanks that were painted with reef motifs similar to what you might find on dive shirts. It was some kind of fundraiser for their reef foundation or somthing or other. I saw a couple of these in the divers direct store on largo. As for the process it looked like an airbrush of some kind. What they used for the paint, your guss is as good as mine.

Factory tanks have a baked on finish that is put on as part of the tank creation process. REALLY BAD IDEA to do for a new coat, as the heat needed to cure the paint will destroy the integrity of the metal.

It can be done relatively well but it is an extremely painstaking process, and some places will not hydro or certify a tank that has been repainted, since they can't see what damage the paint is hiding.

In general, it's not considered a good idea to paint tanks (beyond the factory finish), since the smallest crack or flaw in the paint job can allow water in, where it trapped and hidden against the tank underneath the rest of the paint, and can cause hidden rust or other damage that will kill your tank.

Cold Galvanizing compounds can be used on steel tanks in certain circumstances, but it will become a regular maintenance issue as cold galv does not have the same self-healing characteristics that make hot-dipped galv tanks so desirable (particularly for salt water divers).

MSilvia
06-09-2008, 09:30
Brushed aluminium all the way! If it's a steel tank, shot blasted is fine... I'm not in it for the fashion show.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 09:33
I like the shot blast look. It doesn't seem to show scratches as much.

moosicman
06-09-2008, 18:08

Is there any truth to this, I always thought that it was more of an urban legend. I would be curious if there have been any study done on this.

Its difficult to say but take this for what it is worth!

YouTube - MythBusters: Do sharks have a color preference? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkzw6DKlL3k)

:smiley20:

thesmoothdome
06-09-2008, 18:48
In low vis yellow is nice...or at least a yellow boot to help others keep track of you.

Let the sharks come! They're one of the reasons I dive.

talonraid
06-10-2008, 05:43
I have one gray shot, one dark blue and one lime green tank. I prefer the lime green tank's color, but I don't know why. Maybe because it's shiney and new and I'm a simple creature that likes shiney stuff.

wolfen42
06-10-2008, 12:44
Reportedly (Don't know this for a fact), sharks like to bite things that are yellow.

However, I have also heard that sharks don't like eating scuba cylinders, as it makes them a little gassy.

Mythbusters tried to do an experiment to prove or disprove the color preference thing, but essentially all they proved was that in chummed waters a shark will strike at the most visible food source... :) Ie, yellow, white, silver... :)

cuestick
06-10-2008, 21:09
I like the brushed look but right now I'm rolling with my hot pink tank. Don't like it but it was free and you can't beat that. Hope to add a few soon.

rumblefish
06-10-2008, 23:10
While the traditionalist inside me says brushed aluminum, the more practical side of me says that a bright orange tank would be really cool. Basicallly, anything to get me noticed when I'm in the water. That way, if I'm ever left floating out in the ocean, I'm not playing scuba ninja with the helicopter trying to find me.

stingray94
06-11-2008, 16:15
Um dumb question, what exactly is shot blast? I prefer red or yellow because it sticks out underwater. A bright orange tank would be cool too.

Martin2
06-11-2008, 17:58
I prefer the black only because it stands out better on the charters. I suppose any color would work, but black happens to be what I have.

CFDAlden
06-12-2008, 00:09
Um dumb question, what exactly is shot blast? I prefer red or yellow because it sticks out underwater. A bright orange tank would be cool too.

Shotblast is the finish. Think a wrinkled silver metal. Tanks on the right side of this pic:

http://www.dtmag.com/Stories/Dive%20Equipment/09-03-feature1.jpg

stingray94
06-12-2008, 06:03

Shotblast is the finish. Think a wrinkled silver metal. Tanks on the right side of this pic:

http://www.dtmag.com/Stories/Dive%20Equipment/09-03-feature1.jpg

Oh ok, thanks for explaining that.

gilboadiver
06-23-2008, 11:41
Lake Erie diving with limited visability, Yellow is a must

character157
06-24-2008, 10:59
I think the yellow shows up the best but I currently dive a silver AL80 that works well too. As long as it holds air I am not too fussy.

crpntr133
06-24-2008, 21:41
Galvanized!! Use to have yum yum yellow 80's.

Eddym67
06-24-2008, 21:58
Shot Blast. I believe it was the Discovery Channel during Shark Week that did a study on Sharks and Colors last year. Somehow they came up with Red. The Great White chose to bite the Red wet suit. Maybe they just annoyed him until the Red one came up...?

Truered1
06-24-2008, 22:14
Got the electric blue clear coat aluminum here - I like that me and my partner have bright tanks to set us aside on the boats and also easier to see while diving who is who and can't lose my partner.

Empacher
06-24-2008, 22:25
a clear tank would be cool

paulwall
06-25-2008, 19:56
Pink is easy to pick out on the dive boat and no one wants to steal or borrow them.

whitworthsa
06-25-2008, 20:00

Then you could dye the air inside a fun bright colour. :smiley2:

My vote is bright yellow. It just screams "look at meee!":clap:

Geoff_T
06-25-2008, 20:25

Then you could dye the air inside a fun bright colour. :smiley2:

My vote is bright yellow. It just screams "look at meee!":clap:

I would prefer phosphorescent green gotta love the glowing green mist.

Souvy
06-26-2008, 09:23
I've got one yellow and one blue. I like them because it's easy to differentiate the two and my LDS doesn't rent tanks in those colors, so no mix ups (since I usually go diving with them). I also like the yellow especially because it makes it easy for my girlfriend to see me when we go diving.

dive10killer
06-27-2008, 20:04
Shot blast

DallasMarineBio
06-27-2008, 21:19
plain ol' metal colored

crgjpg
06-27-2008, 23:59
I dont have a tank yet but will get one in the very near future. I plan on getting plain gray.

Eddym67
06-28-2008, 21:15
Yet another stripping......Today.

Coaster
06-28-2008, 23:34
Shot blast

2thdivr
06-29-2008, 14:14
Galvanized