PDA

View Full Version : tank sleeves/protectors

mona
05-30-2008, 21:21
I've seen some tanks with the mesh protectors and understand they are to protect the tank from scratches, etc. Wondered though, are they kept on the tanks just while being transported/stored and removed when being used diving? (I assume the sleeve is removed for diving but I've never had anyone during my few dives that had a sleeve on their tank to begin with)

Geoff_T
05-30-2008, 21:24
I have always dove with them on they are just plastic and dry rapidly when you leave the water. Also as I recall they can give you a better grip on the tank if your tanks paint job is too slippery for your straps.

rawalker
05-30-2008, 22:37
I'm just not sure they really offer all that much protection.

navyhmc
05-30-2008, 22:54
My biggest reason to keep them on my Al80's is that since Aluminum is fairly soft, a hard strike on metal or stone could help in maiking a tank life altering cut in the sidewall (the thinnest part of your tank) and thereby increasing the chance of the tank not passing it's next hydro-something I have seen happen a few times.

mike_s
05-31-2008, 00:23
I personally think that "mesh tank wraps" are one of the more useless scuba accessories sold.

I know thats just my opinion, but I don't see that they offer that much protection and just cause more hassles getting a bcd strap on/off the tank.

Empacher
05-31-2008, 00:35
they look like they are straight from the 1980s

Geoff_T
05-31-2008, 00:46
I have personaly seen where the wrap can take a cut and therby protecting an Aluminum tank.

Lone Frogman
05-31-2008, 03:37
The mesh ones do work. I had two al80's with the mesh covers for two years. And those tanks were in the back of my van or on my back the two years I had them. When I sold them they looked like new.

Jack Hammer
05-31-2008, 05:12
I don't care for them. My first tank came with one and I took it off so I wouldn't have to adjust the cam strap. It prettied up the outside, but that's about all it did.

Jack

oddbod
05-31-2008, 07:19
I have always dove with them on they are just plastic and dry rapidly when you leave the water. Also as I recall they can give you a better grip on the tank if your tanks paint job is too slippery for your straps.
Took mine off as the tank started slipping inside the mesh!:smiley29:

Mtrewyn
05-31-2008, 10:20
Took mine off as the tank started slipping inside the mesh!:smiley29:

This has been my experience too, use them for storage maybe, but not while diving just my 2 PSI

Lone Frogman
05-31-2008, 13:37
That's so strange I never had one slip in more than hundred dives.

Mtrewyn
05-31-2008, 14:56
I'm not sure they slip as much as just don't feel secure to me, Maybe it is a mental thing, I just dont feel comfortable when I use one.

cummings66
06-01-2008, 07:55
I used to use them when I dove singles, but when I doubled them I removed the wraps. They did save the cylinder from a couple cuts but they also left some hash marks on my galvanized steel cylinders. I used to leave them on but started removing them when I had a cylinder slip on me. Only once in the 2 years I used them so it's not a big deal IMO. I still have them, but there is no way I can use them on doubles.

CaptRoger
06-04-2008, 12:54
I dive with them on some of my Aluminum tanks, can def. protect them from deep nicks or gouges that could cause it to fail Hydro, Aluminum gouges pretty easily. But you donít really need it for Steel tanks.

As far as the original question. Yes you can dive with the net on, itís a preference thing.

CaptRoger
06-04-2008, 12:55
They can chew up your VIS sticker though.

diver-wife
06-06-2008, 18:01
The mesh ones do work. I had two al80's with the mesh covers for two years. And those tanks were in the back of my van or on my back the two years I had them. When I sold them they looked like new.
There is something to be said for having the "used" look, makes you look like you dive more

Singlerm
06-06-2008, 19:35
I've seen the fish net stocking on some tanks around here. I didn't think they would offer any real protection. I just thought they looked like a fashion accessory for those divers that were into "fashion".

I suppose they are fabulous and fashionable to some.:smiley32:

Do tank bangers still work with those. Or do they muffle the sound?:smiley36:

Damselfish
06-06-2008, 19:46
I guess maybe they could help prevent certain kinds of damage but not others. I used to have them on some tanks and they did help prevent the tank from slipping but also made it a pain to get the tank strap on to begin with. Mine fit very tightly so there was no slipping, but I also couldn't imagine removing them each time I dove. I don't have tanks anymore but I wouldn't use these now if I did.

DiverMAN
06-06-2008, 20:07
I guess maybe they could help prevent certain kinds of damage but not others. I used to have them on some tanks and they did help prevent the tank from slipping but also made it a pain to get the tank strap on to begin with. Mine fit very tightly so there was no slipping, but I also couldn't imagine removing them each time I dove. I don't have tanks anymore but I wouldn't use these now if I did.

It would be a pain to pull those things off for every dive. I haven't been diving very long but the tanks I have seen with the sleeves on didn't look like the were all that protective...

Lone Frogman
06-08-2008, 04:55
There is something to be said for having the "used" look, makes you look like you dive more

I already have the "used" look, so I try to keep my gear in good condition.