PDA

View Full Version : Diving jobs?

Aric
05-31-2008, 10:57
Im trying to find jobs I can do while diving, my first thought was doing boat hull cleaning with my neighbor who is now certified but I have heard that it is pretty nasty work. Does anyone do that type of work or know of any other work a diver could do?

Largo
05-31-2008, 11:22
A friend of mine went to school at the Ocean Corporation in Houston, TX, and became a commercial diver.

He's still doing it, and he likes it. I have heard that it a dangerous occupation, though.

thesmoothdome
05-31-2008, 12:04
There's always diving for golf balls at the local courses.

Geoff_T
05-31-2008, 12:38
Yeah other than commercial which is where I think the money is. There is Police and fire divers, NY and pittsburgh have dedicated teams for this stuff. Then there is the military, I had an instructer tell me that the army actualy has more divers than the navy. I think I actualy saw the numbers somewhere once and they confirmed it. Though that is probialy different now that the army is tied up in the desert.

diver-wife
05-31-2008, 13:07
Underwater welder, although we all know how well electricty and water mix, I would go for a DM in a tropical locale

rawalker
05-31-2008, 13:21
Hey if you make a deal with the military for a post that requires diving that should keep you out of combat in Iraq.

FishFood
05-31-2008, 13:26
Navy dive school isn't easy. Isn't for those "past their prime".

UW welders make good money, but that takes years of crap work first. Plus you're out in the gulf for long stretches.

Civil work makes decent money, but usually isn't places you'd want to dive. And, the best money is with union comps, which is usually where it costs more to live. (IE, the north east)

DiverMAN
05-31-2008, 14:04
You could move to Mexico City and work with this guy.
Sewer Diving Video -- National Geographic (http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/places/regions-places/us-canada-and-mexico/mexico_sewerdiving.html)
I'm sure not to many divers have this occupation...

Charles R
05-31-2008, 14:11
That is just wrong!:smiley21::smiley11:

Geoff_T
05-31-2008, 14:47
Hey if you make a deal with the military for a post that requires diving that should keep you out of combat in Iraq.

Actually no, I remember seeing somthing a few years ago after the invasion where aparantly a lot of the navys divers were there clearing naval mines. Ie swimming up to somthing made to blow up a ship and futzing with it. Also they were doing things like port construction, work on sadams water refineries which had not been maintained in close to 2 deccades and other fun stuff. I would guss that there are still a lot of military divers in theater doing similar jobs today.

mitsuguy
05-31-2008, 17:17
1) get ow, aow, efr, rescue, then dm (all for about $1500 total), spend a ton of money on gear....
2) move to honduras ($500 one way plane ticket)
3) pay Utila Dive Center $2000 for training + $500 for books
4) become instructor
5) have fun in caribbean, but don't get paid much (if anything)

yah, thats what I'm doing right now... only way I can see to survive on diving thats actually fun... too bad it includes spending a TON of money up front, and doesn't pay well on the back end...

scubasamurai
05-31-2008, 21:14
i heard alot of the caribbean DM's go from job to job just making ends meat. right now i working in trade working towards getting my instructor while teaching all that first aid cpr stuff. but i recently heard that heff and the girls need some private lessons so my application is in hahahah not

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 01:45
My DM Instructor used to clean industrial sewage lines before switching to teaching. He always used to say he never seen so much s**t before, pertaining to the carry on by student divers and tourists alike.

bubble-head
09-07-2008, 10:51
Back in high school I had local watermen call me to do little odd jobs like underwater boat maintaince or to find stuff they dropped overboard. It was occasional but kind of fun.

tndiverdude
09-10-2008, 00:17
My wife found a few odd jobs. I do hull cleaning and its not that bad. O focurse ist fresh water not salt. BUt what about being a scuba instructor on a cruise ship? or a DM on a cruise ship?

Dive instructor at a resort? or at a school?

its a thought.

cooltravelnews
09-12-2008, 01:20
Its hard to get traction in the water.

I would rather volunteer for Iraq than go back to cleaning boats!:smiley21: