PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Divers

freeski4ever
06-01-2008, 00:04
Ok, I know I'm probably going to piss off a lot of people with this thread, but I just have to know. Why are there so many overweight divers? Could it be that I am just naive, since I come from a prior-military background where almost everyone was in shape and could run 2 miles in less than 14:30 mins? The first time I went diving I was blown away by how 'large' some of the other divers' wetsuits were (:smiley2: I'm trying to be politically correct). I'm not trying to be rude by any means, and I understand that in today's society, being 20-30 lbs overweight is acceptable, but I thought that scuba divers would be in-shape, physically fit individuals. Please feel free to comment or provide insight, but please don't flame!!

Ryanh1801
06-01-2008, 00:12
Weight does not always mean not fit. Im what most doctors would consider over weight, But I do triathlons and many other physically demanding things, and beat a lot of "skinny in shape people". What worrys me is the guy sucking down a pack of cig's before a dive.

FishFood
06-01-2008, 00:14
Where do you usually dive? It's been my experience that divers are usually better than average when it comes to physical fitness.

freeski4ever
06-01-2008, 00:16
Weight does not always mean not fit. Im what most doctors would consider over weight, But I do triathlons and many other physically demanding things, and beat a lot of "skinny in shape people". What worrys me is the guy sucking down a pack of cig's before a dive.

I hear you on that one!! I used to smoke when I was in the Army, but fortunately, I was able to kick the nasty habit. Now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes smoke, or being around other smokers for an extended period of time. I can't understand how I used to ski and smoke, or how divers who smoke must feel while physically exerting themselves underwater.

freeski4ever
06-01-2008, 00:20
Where do you usually dive? It's been my experience that divers are usually better than average when it comes to physical fitness.

The incident to which I was referring was at a local quarry, Clear Springs Scuba Park. I witnessed several guys with dicky-do's (when your belly sticks out farther than your dicky-do) scuba diving. Something about a gut hanging over a weight belt just doesn't seem right to me (right hand release or not).

FishFood
06-01-2008, 00:25

The incident to which I was referring was at a local quarry, Clear Springs Scuba Park. I witnessed several guys with dicky-do's (when your belly sticks out farther than your dicky-do) scuba diving. Something about a gut hanging over a weight belt just doesn't seem right to me (right hand release or not).

MMMmmm. Appetizing. Thanks for the visual :smilie39:

texdiveguy
06-01-2008, 00:32
The world is made up of all sorts and sizes of folks!

This is a question that has been kicked around a number of times on scuba diving forums, with no concrete answers.

It is fair to say that we all should do our best to maintain as good a general health picture as possible, and it go without saying that scuba diving and fitness health should go hand in hand,,,,and smoking and diving really have no place in the same sentence. (IMO)

I persl. try to maintain my health for this at times challenging sport, as I do take it to the extremes on occasion. :)

If one is over weight and out of condition they should modify their diving and seek to improve their general fitness level.

sid101
06-01-2008, 02:00
Well if i may throw my opinion in to this i will use myself as my example.

Im 6foot 8 inches tall and i weight 220 pound give or take (probably give) i am overweight and i look funny in my wetsuit (shorty 3mm^^) and i have asked myself the same question as you are a couple fo times, i have tried to get in "shape" but i have not been able to most of the sports i do are more endurance than anything else and i think so is diving. Im not as overweight as the folks you saw and i think thats an extreme to things, i can see my feet pretty well and my belly doesnt fall down but is there.

Remember that diving doesnt require to be strong or fast but to have good endurance and good lungs, i also smoke wich should be bad for me while diving but my tanks last me the same and the non smoking divers, i also do trekking and can stand extended climbing periods pretty well, i think your body type doesnt quite reflect if you can or cannot do sports but it could give a hint about wich sports you can are more fit to do.

Also remember that overweight people have to move more mass for the same distance and of time so we are more about endurance than quickness. I wouldnt dare to try to outrun someone in shape but my endurance is either as good or better than some "in shape" people, not everyone is built the same but may have the same performance.

Off course if someone shos in shape would train the exact same as i do it would probably surpass me because they have to move less mass or maybe would put a smaller strain upon their muscles but at the same time maybe my limits have gone further since i have to keep up, it depends on a lot of variables.

I hope my opinion could be of any help.

I am not saying that smoking wont put a handicap in your while diving but not everyone responds the same to it. Off course i know diving smokers that can barelly go through oen tank without currents but also know some non-smokers that are the same, again not everyone is built the same.

Oh by the way, remember wetsuits are made for skinny people so even the slightest belly will look pretty big in one^^.

GodivaGirl
06-01-2008, 07:50
The reason is simple . . . . fat people want to see cool things under water just like you do!!!

Fat people can be active people too. They just eat more than what their activties burn.

I am considered fat to some people since I am about 10-20 lbs overweight but I still want to dive. I don't have a lot of endurance so I choose dives that aren't as strenous as some. Consider where you are diving. A quary isn't exactly a difficult dive. A shore dive off the west coast is a bit more physically taxing and I'd be willing to bet that you won't see as many very overweight people diving there.

One other thing to consider. Diving is something that even people with physical problems can do. In other words, say someone has back or knee problems. Those problems limit their physical activity on land therefore they don't burn as many calories as someone with no problems that can go for a jog or play softball or whatever else they want to do. But people with those problems CAN swim and dive because in water they are pretty much weightless and they don't have the impact on their joints like on land.

easyrider003
06-01-2008, 09:28
I am what most people would consider overweight, and definitely have somewhat of a gut. Not long ago I was in recruit school for the fire department and could run 11 miles, every step in Jordan Hare stadium (Auburn Universities Football Stadium) and al kinds of other thing. Our pt instructor was a former NAVY SEAL drill sergeant and I could run and keep up with the best of em. With that said, even though I have a gut and would appear to be fat and overweight, it doesn't mean that you are not in shape,afterall... round is a shape, and that you can't handle some of the more physically demanding dives out there.

Daved
06-01-2008, 09:56
When I was 24 I remember thinking that I would never get a gut like that. Well low and behold--I turned forty and my metabolisms changed. I no longer can eat what ever I want when ever I want. I even drink lite beer now!--not that it seems to help---. I struggle with my weight. You to will wake up one day and find that--hmm my closet seems to be shrinking everything?
As for the dick do disease----ahh--this is a family form--

diver-wife
06-01-2008, 10:27
time catches up to all of us, an overweight person cannot necessarily go mountain biking up a steel hill, or climb everest, but with the proper training, can effectively recreational dive. I have seen 300+ pounders dive, they did great, just needed a bigger weight belt, never seen a 3-- pounder climb everest. Like one mentioned ealier, fat people like cool underwater fish as well. Hey whales are good divers?

BuzzF117
06-01-2008, 10:29
America is an obese society just go into your local Wal Mart and take a look at the folks (im not just picking on WalMart) then go into a Wal Mart in an area were body image takes a higher precidence like in South FLA or S California and it's my guess you will se a lower precentage of obese people. I am not a picture of fitness I carry around about 10 pounds of extra weight but I am at a point were running and biking is not a possibility I have begun losing the weight simply by pushing my self away from the table sooner and not sitting in front of the dead brain box every evening.

BuzzF117
06-01-2008, 10:43
I am what most people would consider overweight, and definitely have somewhat of a gut. Not long ago I was in recruit school for the fire department and could run 11 miles, every step in Jordan Hare stadium (Auburn Universities Football Stadium) and al kinds of other thing. Our pt instructor was a former NAVY SEAL drill sergeant and I could run and keep up with the best of em. With that said, even though I have a gut and would appear to be fat and overweight, it doesn't mean that you are not in shape,afterall... round is a shape, and that you can't handle some of the more physically demanding dives out there.

So your just Husky....

diver-wife
06-01-2008, 12:37

So your just Husky....

Husky a bad word, my brother used to wear "Husky" brand jeans as a child, looking back, t hat is not the best name, why not just name them "Fat Pants" or maybe phat pants to sound cooler

Karletto
06-01-2008, 13:26
fat like this 1? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QRy-PEgbls):smiley30:

rawalker
06-01-2008, 13:36
For me it has both to do with ageing and activity level.
At 30 I went through a obvious metobolic change. Until then I could eat without thought of gaining weight. After the change I had to make adjustments to change my diet and cut out a lot of sugar and carbs.
As I aged futher my activity levels changed not being as involved with sports, having to work more, drive more instead of bicycle ect.
The effects seem to become slow and cummulative unless you can make a change to increase the activity level drastically.

scubacat80
06-06-2008, 00:06
Are there more heavy set people doing other activities? Probably not.

You just notice it more in either skin tight wetsuits or when they are wearing their speedos! They aren't bothering anyone, so what does it matter? And if it is something that you don't want to see, maybe you should be the one avoiding the sport.

Here's to fat people everywhere! :-)

buddhasummer
06-06-2008, 01:19

I hear you on that one!! I used to smoke when I was in the Army, but fortunately, I was able to kick the nasty habit. Now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes smoke, or being around other smokers for an extended period of time. I can't understand how I used to ski and smoke, or how divers who smoke must feel while physically exerting themselves underwater.

Not to mention how hard it is to light a wet cigarette with a reg in your mouth...:smiley36:

buddhasummer
06-06-2008, 01:28
When I was 24 I remember thinking that I would never get a gut like that. Well low and behold--I turned forty and my metabolisms changed. I no longer can eat what ever I want when ever I want. I even drink lite beer now!--not that it seems to help---. I struggle with my weight. You to will wake up one day and find that--hmm my closet seems to be shrinking everything?
As for the dick do disease----ahh--this is a family form--

From 16 to about 37 my weight didnt change at all save the odd Kg up or down. Not a big drinker and I think that certainly helped looking at my beer drinking friends anyway. In the past year or so my weight has gone up a whopping 6-7 kgs, I was small to begin with so the xtra weight actually makes me look a little healthier although at 6-7 kgs every year or so Im gonna be huge:smiley30:...time to watch the chocolate and move more:smiley20: What I dont like is the sticky out stomach, I think nothing makes men look their age more than a "beer gut". People in good physical condition generally look younger and healthier than their age, not always but often.

fireflock
06-06-2008, 11:48
Have you been to a big city mall lately?

Scuba is seen by some as a lazy mans extreme sport. You can tell your friends you dive, and they think it's dangerous or cool, and you don't have to break a sweat except to cart your tank back to the car.

7:15 miles are not something most people can run without training. I picked a random 5k race with a lot of participants, and a 7:15 pace puts you in the top 10% of finishers (3 miles, not 2).

Cool Running :: 14th Groton Road Race Race Results (http://www.coolrunning.com/results/05/ma/Apr24_14thGr_set1.shtml)

longtailbda
06-06-2008, 14:56
Man thats not fat, its extra insulation for cold water dives.
Size can often times be deceiving, its ones general health and fitness that is the important thing. Most extreme long distance swimmers are not known for being svelte but they will eventually leave us all in their wake no pun intended.

diver-wife
06-06-2008, 16:14
Have you been to a big city mall lately?

Scuba is seen by some as a lazy mans extreme sport. You can tell your friends you dive, and they think it's dangerous or cool, and you don't have to break a sweat except to cart your tank back to the car.

slipping into a wet suit on a 90 degree day while hauling a set of doubles are more work than leisurely floating in the ocean

jtkkym
06-06-2008, 19:23
Ok, I know I'm probably going to piss off a lot of people with this thread, but I just have to know. Why are there so many overweight divers? Could it be that I am just naive, since I come from a prior-military background where almost everyone was in shape and could run 2 miles in less than 14:30 mins? The first time I went diving I was blown away by how 'large' some of the other divers' wetsuits were (:smiley2: I'm trying to be politically correct). I'm not trying to be rude by any means, and I understand that in today's society, being 20-30 lbs overweight is acceptable, but I thought that scuba divers would be in-shape, physically fit individuals. Please feel free to comment or provide insight, but please don't flame!!

It doesn't have to "physically fit" individual to be a scuba diver. A diver should be medically healthy.

coral cowgirl
06-06-2008, 22:02
Diving has been the only incentive that helps me push away from the table and stay off sweets. Before I started diving I had no real reason to try to get more fit....now it's a priority so I'm glad I got wet!

Bigg_Budd
06-06-2008, 22:28
I stumbled on this thread late, and did not read every post. So forgive me if my post is redundant..

I just want to say "easy cowboy". Don't be so quick to judge a book by its cover...

I'm a big dude at 6 foot, 300 and try as I might, I'm always gonna be a big dude. But be careful if you choose to judge people by their size. I played college ball, was a power lifter, and I still work out 3 times per week. I've run 5ks, 10ks, and did so weighing over 300 lbs.

I may have a gut. I may not be a marine, airborne, or a SEAL. But I'll challenge you to a 3 mile run any day, head directly to the weight room and throw up 400 lbs on bench. Twice.

Peace!

buddhasummer
06-06-2008, 23:11
I stumbled on this thread late, and did not read every post. So forgive me if my post is redundant..

I just want to say "easy cowboy". Don't be so quick to judge a book by its cover...

I'm a big dude at 6 foot, 300 and try as I might, I'm always gonna be a big dude. But be careful if you choose to judge people by their size. I played college ball, was a power lifter, and I still work out 3 times per week. I've run 5ks, 10ks, and did so weighing over 300 lbs.

I may have a gut. I may not be a marine, airborne, or a SEAL. But I'll challenge you to a 3 mile run any day, head directly to the weight room and throw up 400 lbs on bench. Twice.

Peace!

Im 5'5" and 136 I reckon I could bench 400lbs:smiley36:

rumblefish
06-09-2008, 23:38
I think the feeling of weightlessness underwater is appealing for many people.

scubasamurai
06-10-2008, 11:50
i can't agree on the smoking part. i dove with an 70 yr in shape but smoke pretty good. well needless to say his bottom time was better than mine. so becareful on that one. the rather large population in this country is pretty shameful but thats the way it is. i though diving and being in shape went hand in hand butnot true. if you really figure it out if your in the water you really don't expend that much energy, unless you hit a current, emergency or screw up you nav and have to swim back. but still most of us diviers like to eat and drink. thankfully i am still in shape.

diver-wife
06-10-2008, 19:49

Peace!

Im 5'5" and 136 I reckon I could bench 400lbs:smiley36:
I hope you are joking

WetHog
06-11-2008, 16:07
I'm with Big Budd.

I too am over 6 foot and pushing 300 lb. I played ball, wrestled, and hold a Second Degree Blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do. Am I happy with my conditioning all the time??...No, who does not want to run faster, kick higher, do one more push up, one more pull-up, one more crunch, etc.
I would put my conditioning up against many a "skinny man" any day.

And he he beats me...I'l just beat him. heh heh
:fight:

obrules15
06-11-2008, 16:29
I don't really know how to respond to this post. I am fat and I dive. I am not fat like 10# fat, I was up to 100# over my ideal weight at one point. What I don't understand is why that should mean I shouldn't dive. I have always been active and gone to the gym regularly, regardless of my weight. On a recent dive trip I proved how much better shape I am in than a skinny smoker who sucked air and nearly had to be rescued. But in terms of what you see you never know where people are in there fitness quest so how to judge. You may have someone who went through an illness or a personal tragedy and ballooned up or someone who finally decided to take control of their body and is eating well and exercising and slowly loosing weight which is the recommended speed and is re-incorporating physical activity into their life. One of the scariest divers I have EVER seen was in his late sixties and his BC (not rented) was buckled at his nipple line. I saw him out of the water and started to review the CPR and ACLS recommendations but when I saw him underwater and I saw how graceful and beautiful he was in that environment I began to understand that to him diving was so important and so much a part of him that it was worth the risk (I still kept reviewing how to do CPR though:smiley5:)

If the question is why are there so many overweight divers, the response is because we as a nation are becoming increasingly overweight. If the question is how dare I put on a wetsuit and be seen in public if I am fat then the response is "bite me".:smiley36: However, I believe that while we live in this society with fast food on every corner and preservatives in everything we eat we are not going to be able to get control of the obesity epidemic

MSilvia
06-11-2008, 17:19
I can't understand ... how divers who smoke must feel while physically exerting themselves underwater.
If you're assuming divers need to maintain a high level of fitness so that they can exert themselves underwater, I think that might be part of the reason you're suprised by overweight divers. In my experience, the best divers are often the ones who've learned how to AVOID exerting themselves underwater. If you're working hard you may be doing it wrong, and fat people are often well suited to relaxing.

That aside, fat provides insulation, and isn't nearly as encumbering underwater as it is on land (compare an elephant seal on land to one in the water). Lots of overweight people really enjoy the extra freedom of movement they get while diving.

divingbuddy
06-11-2008, 17:40
I always figured God made me fat and furry just so I could be a good cold water diver :smiley2:. Since I started diving I've lost about 80 pounds, and I really have to admit that I kind of miss the warmth on some early season or deeper dives.

Martin2
06-12-2008, 08:45
If the question is why are there so many overweight divers, the response is because we as a nation are becoming increasingly overweight. If the question is how dare I put on a wetsuit and be seen in public if I am fat then the response is "bite me".:smiley36: However, I believe that while we live in this society with fast food on every corner and preservatives in everything we eat we are not going to be able to get control of the obesity epidemic

Thank you.

I'm not horribly overweight, but I'm not a stick either. I don't need anyone's praise to be out and active, but I certianly don't need anyone's criticism regarding my weight when I'm out diving. If you don't like it, go elsewhere. I am working on getting in better shape, but that's for me. Certainly not for anyone else.

Eurodiver
06-12-2008, 12:17

I must be the exception to the rule I smoke and there are many times I have been snowboarding and smoke while going down the slope or smoke right before a dive. It isn't physically exerting. I don't huff and puff. I am sure I could blow the house down.
What I don't understand is people that are stereotypical and think they are better than other just cause some of us haven't stopped YET!

And to the guy that said people in the Military are fit, I say
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39: you must not have been around it much lately. There are so many "over weight" people in the military right now. Most do it because they know they can get out and the military will pay them. "We're sorry you can't lose weight here is $25,000 to make it all better."

RoyN
06-12-2008, 13:11
I want to look skinny and sexy in a wetsuit. ;)

Bigg_Budd
06-12-2008, 14:58

Impossible. You're a man. The male form looks disgusting in a wetsuit, regardless of what shape you're in.

The only creature that can come REMOTELY close to looking sexy in a wetsuit is a woman.

azdiver
06-12-2008, 17:31

Impossible. You're a man. The male form looks disgusting in a wetsuit, regardless of what shape you're in.

The only creature that can come REMOTELY close to looking sexy in a wetsuit is a woman.

I don't know about that.... I've seen some very sexy looking men wearing skin suits! :smiley32:

emcbride81
06-13-2008, 09:25

Ahhh...women in wetsuits....happy thoughts.....:smiley20:

Men in wetsuits.....well....it's like naked guys in the locker room...you don't want to see it, but it has to happen :smiley11:

waytooslow
06-13-2008, 10:22
I don't like the way this thread is going, make it stop, please.

Women only ...

NucMed Man
06-13-2008, 10:49
Well if i may throw my opinion in to this i will use myself as my example.

Im 6foot 8 inches tall and i weight 220 pound give or take (probably give) i am overweight and i look funny in my wetsuit (shorty 3mm^^) and i have ^^.

At 6' 8" and 220lbs YOU ARE FAR FROM overweight! At that height and weight your are close to being classified as 'Bean-Pole':smiley2:

diver-wife
06-13-2008, 16:08
I always figured God made me fat and furry just so I could be a good cold water diver :smiley2:. Since I started diving I've lost about 80 pounds, and I really have to admit that I kind of miss the warmth on some early season or deeper dives.

:smilie39::smilie39: Most sea mammals are "fat" ie whales, walrus, seals, etc.

divingbuddy
06-14-2008, 15:41

:smilie39::smilie39: Most sea mammals are "fat" ie whales, walrus, seals, etc.

With the odd-looking beard I grew for winter dives here in Canada, I certainly resembled those very creatures.

cgvmer
06-14-2008, 22:11
At 6'5" 330 I am very overweight but until a recent injury swam a mile every morning, and ran 3 miles 3 days a week. Did I try to drop the lbs....sure, but I haven't been successfull and yes I do suck air faster than my regular buddies but since they are my sons and are both competitive swimmers I expect that.
As for my health, after a physical last month the doctor came back and said only issue was weight, not BP, not cholesterol (120) ....so no I don't look good in a wetsuit...but the fish don't complain.

mudshark
06-17-2008, 03:02

I beg to differ. I know other ladies will agree with me in principle if not specifics. Hugh Jackman :smiley20: immediately comes to mind, for one. And yes, I know the guys are all going "eeeewwwww" as they read this.

CowboyFan&Diver
06-20-2008, 17:25
5'10 250 lbs......dont smoke...but somehow start out with less air & finish the dive w/more air than most....my biggest prob is finding a wetsuit.....

I need to grow about 3 inches taller.....be alot easier than shedding the extra 50-80 pounds....

jimmysdevoted
06-29-2008, 00:10
yeah I am overweight.. I dont care.
I am pretty. hubby loves me. men seem to follow me( at least thats what my hubby says) and I feel great.
I think thats the main thing, is people whoare always health minded cant seem to understand how the rest ofi the world cant be as exercise and toned minded.
I was a emt/FF when iw as younger and i felt crummy all teh time withteh running, exercise and nonsense. I managed ot get burnout quickly.
I began to recoiver after I left and did the typoes of exercise I wanted.

To me its like this.. you feel good, your health is good, you ahve a good outlook on life.. enjoy life.
I think all men look like super heroes in wet suits! It doesnt matter their size!

julie

obrules15
06-29-2008, 08:58
yeah I am overweight.. I dont care.
I am pretty. hubby loves me. men seem to follow me( at least thats what my hubby says) and I feel great.
I think thats the main thing, is people whoare always health minded cant seem to understand how the rest ofi the world cant be as exercise and toned minded.
I was a emt/FF when iw as younger and i felt crummy all teh time withteh running, exercise and nonsense. I managed ot get burnout quickly.
I began to recoiver after I left and did the typoes of exercise I wanted.

To me its like this.. you feel good, your health is good, you ahve a good outlook on life.. enjoy life.
I think all men look like super heroes in wet suits! It doesnt matter their size!

julie

I think we would probably all be healthier with that kind of attitude. I really think that the better we feel about ourselves the healthier we are because we are willing to move and do things instead of locking ourselves in the house depressed over what we look like.

severian
06-29-2008, 09:03
I think diver wife nailed it. The original question was why there are so many overweight divers. I didn't get any sense the guy was saying "fat people shouldn't dive". I think he had just assumed, diving, a physical outdoor activity would likely not be attractive to people who don't appear to be real physically active.

As diver wife said, overweight people like to see cool stuff too...additionally, it is a sport that weight does not severely detract from. When u are significantly overweight, it will be hard to squat weights(knees) run full court basketball(knees) mountain bike, rock climb, play soccer....the bouyancy in water takes all that pain away, and to a large extent can put "fat" people on equal ground with the non fat. Some of the better divers I have dove with were quite fat. So I think the answer is

1) there is a lot more fat people in the world
2) fat people have the same desires non fat people do.

3) fatness does not bar someone from becoming a top notch SCUBA diver.

I am 5 10 245 pounds from bodybuilding for 24 years. My knees are shot making leg day a nightmare, running on concrete agony...I can swim all day, and my knees sure don't hurt while diving....

Eddym67
06-29-2008, 09:45
I was wondering about this subject last night. It seems to be the norm now a days to be fat. Or at least 30 lbs over weight (which btw is fat). The 'average' person is over weight. I believe people have less self control than say 20 years ago. Instead of a piece of cake, why not have three. You see it in their shopping carts as well. Fat people die on average 20 years earlier than in shape or skinny. It is called Heart Disease. What I dont get is the fat people that smoke. Not trying to offend any one. You say you are comfortable with it, but I dont see you at the beach in a bikini....just shorts and t shirt....... (to the girls at my office).

severian
06-29-2008, 10:39
The obesity epidemic is serious. As an ED doc better then half my patients are morbidly obese....The obese are in general far sicker people on a whole then those who are not. it has alot to do with the western food supply...our food industry makes food as highly caloric as possible(except in the cases where they are marketing dieters, where they sell largely unhealthy low cal foods at higher prices). The food supply has been gradually lessened in quality over the past 30 years. generally becoming more and more refined and mono sourced. corn, due to its cheapness, makes up the vast majority of our diet regardless of whether we eat it ourselves or not...even salmon is corn fed now.

read michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemna".....a real eye opener.

jimmysdevoted
06-29-2008, 10:55
theer was s tudy done atthe NIH on fat( obese) and thin ( non obese) and what surprised them was afew things.
1 not all fat or obese peopel are over eaters. I for one not take a formosan, hawiian or miori as being a scarfing junk food addict. not by along shot.
Thin people have as much chroinic conditions as obese people. Many ahve enlarged hearts, endocrine, high BP, eating disorders, gastro problems and un diagnosed diabetes. yes being emaciated and overtly thin is a signb of active undiagnosed diabetes! its called marasmus.
This people had as much plaqu in their blood stream, intestinal disorders and complications as the obese subjects.
so it was conluded that it doesnt matter heavy or thin, nature will catch up to you no matter your predisposition.

what does change is hoiw propactibe you can be over long term. You can be morbidly obese ( think sumo wrestlers) and be healthy.

No you wont see me ina bikini because i dont care to show off for the world. i am quite happy being covered and not getting sunburned. I am theer to have fun, get wet and laugh until I cry and swallow enough water to make me puke....

I am diabetic and didnt start putting weight on until after I was diagnosed, changed my diet and was put on medication.......
My husband didnt start to put weight on until he reached 40.........

i do hwoever think our obsession with food is a killer.. I am relearning what hunger is and just because the clock says its time to eat.. eat...

so I say.. if you dont like what you see.. theres the door. I am happy, all divers are happy( it could be narcing too)...
irregardless of we are big or little....

wait till you get older
j

Eddym67
06-29-2008, 11:02
I am older. 40. 6'1 215lbs.
As you stated not all over weight people over eat. The majority do though and get diabetes. My sister is obese and wants to get the lap band. Every one wants a quick fix. I am Very Happy. I have a hot girlfriend that looks very good in lingerie and nothing at all. Yes, I am shallow. and sooo done with this thread. Just be Happy.

bassplayer
06-29-2008, 11:17
I actually used scuba as my incentive to get into "better" shape. I had quit smoking 3 years ago and my weight ballooned up. :smiley30: After a cruise with some snorkeling I decided I wanted to get back into scuba. I felt I needed to loose some weight and dropped 30lbs, then re-certified. I am still fat but getting in better shape thanks to diving.

DivingCRNA
06-29-2008, 12:35

You WERE in Texas. No shortage of fat folks there...

Eddym67
06-29-2008, 12:52
We are the fattest country. Mississippi (they fry everything) is the fattest state. I think Las Vegas is the fattest city.......Dicky Do....LOL

severian
06-29-2008, 18:48
theer was s tudy done atthe NIH on fat( obese) and thin ( non obese) and what surprised them was afew things.
1 not all fat or obese peopel are over eaters. I for one not take a formosan, hawiian or miori as being a scarfing junk food addict. not by along shot.
Thin people have as much chroinic conditions as obese people. Many ahve enlarged hearts, endocrine, high BP, eating disorders, gastro problems and un diagnosed diabetes. yes being emaciated and overtly thin is a signb of active undiagnosed diabetes! its called marasmus.
This people had as much plaqu in their blood stream, intestinal disorders and complications as the obese subjects.
so it was conluded that it doesnt matter heavy or thin, nature will catch up to you no matter your predisposition.

what does change is hoiw propactibe you can be over long term. You can be morbidly obese ( think sumo wrestlers) and be healthy.

No you wont see me ina bikini because i dont care to show off for the world. i am quite happy being covered and not getting sunburned. I am theer to have fun, get wet and laugh until I cry and swallow enough water to make me puke....

I am diabetic and didnt start putting weight on until after I was diagnosed, changed my diet and was put on medication.......
My husband didnt start to put weight on until he reached 40.........

i do hwoever think our obsession with food is a killer.. I am relearning what hunger is and just because the clock says its time to eat.. eat...

so I say.. if you dont like what you see.. theres the door. I am happy, all divers are happy( it could be narcing too)...
irregardless of we are big or little....

wait till you get older
j

I am not sure if your post was directed at mine, because i am absolutely not trying to criticize "fat" people. as far as waiting til i'm older...i am 42...so we are pretty close in age. As far as being soooooo wrong about obesity, i am sorry but there is no doubt it is you that is wrong. i have 15 years in studying medicine if you include my EM residency. No one would ever suggest that being "non obese" protects anyone from all illness, what I was saying is all else considered equal(genetics, lifestyle, etc) adding 50 pounds of fat to a person makes them less healthy. there isn't a doctor worth his salt in the world who will tell you that is not true. There have been countless studies on it. Not all people in the world get fat from eating highly processed foods, but here in "the West" that is the most significant dietary factor, this is not even questioned anymore in the literature.
another fact is if you are obese and you suffer a cardiac arrest your chance of survival is far less then if you were not obese. all of the things we need to do in an arrest situation are infinately more difficult due to the obesity. CPR, intubation, central lines, external pacing, cardioversion, defibrillation, bag valve vebtilation. All surgeries are infinately more complicated, and therefore risky in the setting of obesity...with the exception of neurosurgery....all vascular surgeries, abdominal surgeries, open heart. Obese people's recovery after surgery is a far more dicey situation then if you were to take the same person and remove 50,100 pounds.

i am not bashing fat people, but as an MD I feel compelled to speak factually about the subject. The situation has gotten so ridiculous in this country, that PR folks at the hospital discourage us from directly addressing these issues with our obese patients...."we don't want to offend the customer"......hello! No it is not allright for you to be 50-100 pounds or more overweight! doctors 30 years ago would think our healthcare system was insane today to be "worried about offending our obese customers". facts are facts.

coral cowgirl
06-29-2008, 20:52
".....facts are facts."

I lost 30 pounds just by getting rid of the white stuff in my diet, (white sugar, white flour, white rice). I feel a lot better, my knees are happier and my cholesterol count is down.

Now, if they could just make sugar free chocolate taste "real"!

gbrdiver
07-07-2008, 07:33
I'm overweight...simply because I love eating good food and drinking red wine too much. To pay for my sins I do at least 20hrs of strenuous excerise each week. I find currents a piece of piss whilst my thin buddies chew throught their gas. Fitness comes in lots of forms.

WetHog
07-07-2008, 08:37
".....facts are facts."

I lost 30 pounds just by getting rid of the white stuff in my diet, (white sugar, white flour, white rice). I feel a lot better, my knees are happier and my cholesterol count is down.

Try the Russell Stover' Stuff. Expecially the pecan clusters :smiley20:

mselizann
07-07-2008, 08:57
".....facts are facts."

Amen sista!:smiley32:

jimmysdevoted
07-07-2008, 09:27
If youlike Mounds or almond joys.. The Weight watchers coconut pieces are to die for.. they have lots of protein, lots of fiber..
being diabetic I have to watch what I eat so this fills that void.. its addictive.. but goood.......
My candy of choice now.....

Walmart sells it for 1.98 a bag which is the same as buying two large size candy bars plus an extra piece..

racesforfunnowadiver2
07-10-2008, 14:54

Just got cert. a month ago and decided to quit smoking after I had trouble keeping up. Besides in 10 years I dont want to be fighting over the O2 bottle, I'd rather be diving. Just made the call to the MD today to get Welbutrin to help wean the addiction - been smoking 20 years. Now I will be able to afford more scuba gear!!!

Hope I dont gain any weight when it comes down to it, but probably will.

waytooslow
07-10-2008, 14:59
congrats on the stop smoking, maybe you will be lucky, I however gained 25 lbs after quiting, I used chantix - no side affects at all for me.

RikRaeder
07-10-2008, 20:48
If the question is why are there so many overweight divers, the response is because we as a nation are becoming increasingly overweight. If the question is how dare I put on a wetsuit and be seen in public if I am fat then the response is "bite me".:smiley36:

My take was that the former question was the original issue.

Rhino
07-10-2008, 22:30
[quote=FishFood;180160]...dicky-do's (when your belly sticks out farther than your dicky-do)

:smilie39:
I'm going to have to "borrow" that term from you and use it the future when referring to one of my buddies.

freeski4ever
07-10-2008, 22:47
[quote=FishFood;180160]...dicky-do's (when your belly sticks out farther than your dicky-do)

I'm going to have to "borrow" that term from you and use it the future when referring to one of my buddies.

No problem, enjoy!!

JTMoney
07-10-2008, 22:50

I prefer the dunlop disease, where your belly dunloped over your pants.

digitalman
07-10-2008, 23:02
I too am a little heavy for my height, but that hasn't slowed me down. If I don't feel comfortable doing a dive due to the conditions, I sit it out and dive another day just like any responsible diver should, overweight or not.

Joe L
07-11-2008, 06:50
Heck, I'm out of breath just reading this thread. LOL..

Only kidding. I am happy to say I have seen the light. I'm 6' was 228 and have dropped 12lbs recently. Its tough though when your hooked on sugar products. (was a junk food junkie). Now that I'm 51, I finally put my foot down and been clean (junk food) for a while. I feel BETTER...... I really didn't do it for the diving part of it but, just was always so tired. JOe

Rockhound76
07-16-2008, 08:27

So your just Husky....

Husky a bad word, my brother used to wear "Husky" brand jeans as a child, looking back, t hat is not the best name, why not just name them "Fat Pants" or maybe phat pants to sound cooler

Funny. My wife got mad at my dad last year for pointing out that I was always heavy.

"Takes after his mother's side, not mine." is what he said.

My wife asked, "He wasn't THAT fat was he? " (THAT fat? Er, thanks, HONEY).

Dad's reply?

"Heck. He we had to by them those fat jeans, what did they call them? Oh, yea, 'Husky.' Them kids used to tease him all the time."

THAT I won't forget, but I live with it. So what, I've been, er, HUSKY my whole life. I look in the mirror and I still see how heavy I am, but I don't/can't let it bother me. I'm just heavy.

I spin 5 days a week. I ride my bicycle 3000-5000 miles a year. Last year, I cycled from Houston to Orlando in a relay ride. My shortest ride was 113miles non-stop, averaging 18.3mph. No one on the team could ride with me when I decided to hammer.

A few months before, I did my first "sub-5-hour Century" and the year before, I cycled to Lake Tahoe, then participated in America's Most Beautiful Bicycle Ride, averaging nearly 20mph at altitude and with two nasty climbs. I finished so early, I ate lunch, cycled back 12 miles and waited on the rest of the team so we could finish together. Plus, I rode from the hotel and back, which was 9 miles from the start. I have ridden up to 154 miles nonstop in a single day.

I bench press my body weight. My resting HR is 58, my max 203, my BP is 117/65. I'm 50 years old.

I might be fat, but I feel pretty dang good.
( re-read this, and realized I sound defensive. I am, a LITTLE. I also gained 70lbs eleven years ago, when my then 2yr. old was diagnosed with cancer. I've lost about 55 of that 70, but I'm still heavy at 6'1", 225lbs.)

MelissaExplainsItAll
07-20-2008, 16:59
I'm not the most physically fit diver I've ever seen and I'm a smoker, so I have two things working against me. The problem I really have is carrying almost 40lbs worth of gear. That can really get your heart pumpin!

LittleOtter
07-20-2008, 23:11

with me it's physical FATness if you read the 100 pushups Thread it would seem almost impossible. so just read my posts there and you will know why:smiley36:

SlvrDragon50
07-22-2008, 13:14
Its the beer belly from chugging down all those beers after diving...

:) My theory on why underage divers aren't "overweight"

drako
07-28-2008, 08:46
I am overweight....gained like 50lbs. However when I was in high school/early college I was part of the swim team and track. I would regularly beat most of my skinny friends especially in the water. Back then I was at 180-190 and I am 5'8.

Now for the science of the matter; sorry if this was already mentioned. The biggest land mammal is the African Elephant correct? (forgive me if im wrong its early in the morning) The largest ocean mammel is the blue whale. Big difference in size eh? The reason being is that larger animals in the water do not have to worry to fight gravity or the mass of their weight.

So naturally big guys, like me :) can swim all along underwater. If your FIT your fine

chris7241517
08-24-2008, 03:50
iam 6'1 and about 205 so iam a little over weight.i smoke but i will challenge anyone out their. iam a rock climmber and a repelling instructor. i dive about 2 to 3 times a week and ant never hade no problem so it dont matter about size its youre endurance and physical strength. even us overweight ppl can keep up so dont forget

Aussie
08-24-2008, 07:05

I beg to differ. I know other ladies will agree with me in principle if not specifics. Hugh Jackman :smiley20: immediately comes to mind, for one. And yes, I know the guys are all going "eeeewwwww" as they read this.

Its because he is Australian and all Australian males look great in wetsuits :smilie39:

Aussie

bigfishK9
08-24-2008, 07:27
Look at the men in the "Worlds Strongest Man" competition. By medical standards (based on the little chart my Dr. shows me pertaining to height & weight) they would be considered "fat" or overweight. But they are obviously some of the most physically strong and cardio conditioned athletes in the world.

sravin1
08-25-2008, 00:50
Look at the men in the "Worlds Strongest Man" competition. By medical standards (based on the little chart my Dr. shows me pertaining to height & weight) they would be considered "fat" or overweight. But they are obviously some of the most physically strong and cardio conditioned athletes in the world.

for your health, you go to a doctor. If you want good fitness opinion, you have to go to a physical trainer. the chart that your doctor showed you was the body mass index chart(BMI). this chart does not differentiate between fat and muscle and hence the problem in judgement. you should always take BMI in conjunction with your body fat percentage.

For males, a BMI between 20-25 and a body fat percentage between 10-20 percent is considered healthy. Remember that even if your BMI is low, if your fat % is not, then you are in the danger zone (although you may not be overwight).

Melkus
09-11-2008, 07:15
Well I'm 222 the Dr says I should be 189 33 pounds over but I feel good and can out run both of my Grand Kids so what dose that tell us.

scubasquirrel
09-14-2008, 13:43
The way I look at it - the less I weigh and the stronger I am (along with good bouyancy, of course) - the easier to propel through water - consuming less air - leading to decreased sac rate - thus, ultimately more bottom time.

MSilvia
09-15-2008, 09:50
- thus, ultimately more bottom time.
Unless you get cold... divers who outwiegh you might have an edge for bottom times in cold water.

Largo
09-15-2008, 19:00
I totally understand where FreeSky was coming from.I was on a liveaboard recently, and 90% of the divers looked like they were one $20 gift certificate to Ruth's Chris steakhouse, away from a major coronary event.As long as they #1 Don't expect others to save them and #2 Make it clear that their surviving family should not sue; then go have fun.I can think of lots of worse ways to die than having a heart attack diving a Blue Hole in the Bahamas.

FishFood
09-15-2008, 19:49
Well I'm 222 the Dr says I should be 189 33 pounds over but I feel good and can out run both of my Grand Kids so what dose that tell us.

You have slow Grandkids?

warscout2
09-15-2008, 23:36

You have slow Grandkids?

Now thats just mean the kids are only 2

Ladyvalea
10-03-2008, 12:12
some countrys...having a big belly is a sign of wealth:smiley29: and it expensive to dive...so maybe all the dudes are fat cats???

SynCitizen
10-03-2008, 12:28
Being overweight isnt always up to the person involved. It isnt always a sign of gluttony. Genetics and metabolism is not something that people have a lot of control over. Ever think that maybe they are getting into diving as a way to increase exercise and endurance and are diving to get fit?

fireflock
10-03-2008, 14:35
Being overweight isnt always up to the person involved. It isnt always a sign of gluttony. Genetics and metabolism is not something that people have a lot of control over. Ever think that maybe they are getting into diving as a way to increase exercise and endurance and are diving to get fit?

Most diving isn't really exercise. It's better than sitting on the couch watching TV, but the net effect of diving isn't to increase your heart rate, build strength, increase flexibility, etc... In most cases, the point of diving is to be slow and smooth, decreasing any extra movement and just chilling out underwater. Walking for the car to the shore is more taxing than the average dive.

Fitness can have some real benefits to divers, and from that perspective it can be an inspiration for a lot of people to get out and do some kind of exercise. However, unless you are really out of shape, diving by itself isn't going to increase your level of fitness.

Rockhound76
10-03-2008, 15:17
Most diving isn't really exercise. It's better than sitting on the couch watching TV, but the net effect of diving isn't to increase your heart rate, build strength, increase flexibility, etc... In most cases, the point of diving is to be slow and smooth, decreasing any extra movement and just chilling out underwater. Walking for the car to the shore is more taxing than the average dive.

It ain't exercise unless you are swimming around with someone who thinks they're auditioning for a 'Sea Hunter' remake. (you old timers know what I mean. Kicking at 100 rpm....Flick-flick-flick-flick-flick-chase-the-bad-guy-fight-fight-cut-the-hose-fight-fight-then, flick-flick-flick-flick across the scene, etc.) I've had a few of those as insta-buddies, minus the knife fight, although I'll admit pulling my knife and cutting a hose DID occur to me.

detsgtdavis
10-03-2008, 19:16
Way to go Lulubelle!!!!!!!

lvshell
10-03-2008, 23:48
very well said lulubelle!

Lulubelle
10-04-2008, 00:10
Way to go Lulubelle!!!!!!!

Thanks homeboy (and lvshell)! Hey, to digress from this thread a bit, I'm assuming you dive Morehead and environs since you are a local NCian. How cold should the bottom of our ocean (120 ft) be in a couple of weeks? I have some new equipment I want to get wet before I go on a liveaboard in January. And I have issues with quarry diving, have never done it and really don't want to. Gotta swim with the sharks.

detsgtdavis
10-05-2008, 14:10
I think the water temp on the bottom will be around 68 / 71 in a couple of weeks. They may be at those temps already. I have not been doing any diving this time of the year but I am planning on changing that this year.

You might want to comfirm the temps with Joeforbroke or one of the other guys or gals from NC.

davidlkc
10-05-2008, 18:14
I have a friend who was very new to diving and she is overweight... I think she's like 5'8" and 250lbs at least! but hey, she's not only a giant on the land but also underwater! calm, very good buoyancy and was good at controlling her breaths and knew what she was doing. She was my buddy the whole trip and didn't give me any trouble at all. IMO Fat or not fat don't really matter when it's about scuba diving...

warscout2
10-05-2008, 21:51
I mean whales are huge we don't put them on diets so they can dive

Swanny
10-15-2008, 14:41
I got paired up with a guy this summer that weighed at least 320 lbs. He was a good diver though, and the only issue we had was getting the weight belt around his gut.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 12:08
Think of it this way, at least bigger people have a little more insulation for cold water diving.

Splitlip
10-16-2008, 21:46
It is important to be fit IMO. Weight and size is not the issue.

Splitlip
10-17-2008, 20:43
Agree!

namabiru
10-18-2008, 00:07
Heh... I've seen skinny people who can't even carry their own cylinders... or lift themselves back into the boat after a dive (after they've handed kit up including weights, yes... I agree, climbing back in fully kitted up would most certainly be something I couldn't do...).

With diving, I think the big question is 'can you look after yourself', not 'what size is your wetsuit?'

I would love to be more active than I am; however, I have developed a negative perception of Western sports. The focus is on winning, not on playing for enjoyment or for the social aspect, and those who win are supposedly better than those who don't. My experience is you get die-hard competitive jerks who just want to falsely elevate themselves by stomping the crap out of someone else. This is why I began practicing kendo, and then iaido. Unfortunately, there is no dojo here, so I've had to stop for now.

I don't like walking on a treadmill like a hamster in a wheel. I get bored. I'm not a TV watcher, and I've found I get ill if I try to read. Books are no good at all-- journals are okay if I'm on the exercise bike.

The weather is extremely hot here year-round, and there is no infrastructure in place for pedestrians. Those who walk will probably get run over... also, for a good indicator of what the landscape is here, go walk around a construction site. That's what the entire country is like-- construction, potholes, road cones, machinery...

So getting to do some physical activity can be challenging...

crosseyed95
10-18-2008, 19:52
:pain10:

When you judge, you open yourself up for judgement...

divingbuddy
10-20-2008, 11:31
Since I lost the weight (used to weigh 250, now am around 160) I have certainly noticed one thing - I feel the cold more than ever.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

tndiverdude
10-23-2008, 10:21
we bob in the water better!

Largo
10-31-2008, 20:50
I have been thinking more about Free Sky's point.

You can play off your weight with all of the jokes that you want, and all of the justification in the world,

but that stuff is surrounding your heart and slowly squeezing the life out of you.

I'm a Libertarian, and as such, I believe people are responsible for their own health and welfare, and should not blame others for their own mistakes.

Diving is a great low-impact, low stress form of exercise. But, don't let your family sue, if the worst should occur.

Largo
11-01-2008, 00:51
Many Happy Dives.

firemedic8082
11-01-2008, 18:25
Diving has definately given me more incentive to drop the weight.

bsktcase93
11-01-2008, 18:38
Im also considered overweight but i can still run circles around some skinny people

IrishSquid
11-02-2008, 07:18
I must be the exception to the rule I smoke and there are many times I have been snowboarding and smoke while going down the slope or smoke right before a dive. It isn't physically exerting. I don't huff and puff. I am sure I could blow the house down.
What I don't understand is people that are stereotypical and think they are better than other just cause some of us haven't stopped YET!
There's nothing like reformed drinkers and smokers. I quit smoking 2 packs a day in 1994. I still enjoy my cigars though and don't plan on giving them up. Doc says he wished more folks would stay healthy like me. Good lungs and heart.

And to the guy that said people in the Military are fit, I say
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39: you must not have been around it much lately. There are so many "over weight" people in the military right now. Most do it because they know they can get out and the military will pay them. "We're sorry you can't lose weight here is $25,000 to make it all better."
As a veteran, I can attest than even in the 80's there was some really "unfit" people. I would say generally, the military has a higher percentage of fitness than the general population. Remember, fit doesn't mean thin.

Wetnurse28
11-02-2008, 13:13
How can someone say "Well Im overweight but"

That is bologne, overweight is overweight and ITS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR HEART.

I am a Registered Nurse and simply being overweight is just plain bad. Its bad for your heart, leads to Type II Diabetes, joint problems, CHF, etc., and frankly you will die sooner.

Being overweight just isnt good period.

rumblefish
11-03-2008, 00:12
What I find interesting is how many overweight people take being overweight personally. I know I've heard overweight people speak negatively about people who get gastric bypass surgery because they are not accepting who they truly are and are trying to conform to societal pressures. I sense that they feel betrayed. That kind of thinking is just so wrong.

Being overweight can be caused by lifestyle choices, but it can also be caused by physical causes as well. While you can be fit while being overweight, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are healthy. Like wetnurse28 says, it stresses your heart and can lead to other problems. It's like smoking, you can be fit and smoke, but smoking is bad for you and can lead to more serious issues. To address one's weight issues should not be viewed as a personal attack. It's a condition like any other that can affect your heath.

James1010
11-05-2008, 22:34
ha ha I spent ten years in the army. Got hurt in Iraq had surgeries that went wrong and now I am out and found scuba diving to be the next best thing since playing gi joe. You are right there are a lot of divers including dive shop owners and instructors who have the but in the front or can't see there feet. But this just shows that it is a hobby that even the humpty can do. Thank God for scuba diving! The first hobby you don't have to be skinny to be good at and do!!! lol

Wetnurse28
11-06-2008, 00:59
Overweight although is unhealthy has become the norm. With nearly 60% of population being overweight

I should know I have to turn and lift my patients.

There are many reason people are overweight, BUT, being overweight is a choice, a lifesytle. It can be changed

You are only kidding yourself if you think you have to live with a body you do not like.

Being skinny is a lifestyle change not a diet.

Wetnurse28
11-13-2008, 04:14
And you are kidding yourself if you think that obesity is always a choice or is always lifestyle related. You might want to study up on obesity and metabolism just a bit. I've done a great deal of research in this area in my work life. Sure, most people are overweight because of lifestyle issues, but not all. And there are many people, both overweight AND slim, who get to live with bodies that are not their ideal despite a very healthy lifestyle. All we can all hope to do is to put forth our best effort and to be is the strongest and healthiest that our bodies will allow us to be.[/quote]

I think I just read that you have given up? Show me the research! I am more than familiar with different medications etc. that lead to obesity.

There are those things you can not control and there are those that you can.

I am interested to know what you consider "put forth best effort"

There is a reason why the majority of the population is overweight, and its mostly due to poor choices in life.

WaScubaDude
11-14-2008, 00:08
Did not even read the 100 and some posts you stirred up.
But let me take a wack at it.

Diving is fun.
Floating weightless is a kick.
Floating weightless takes the weight off the joints.
Not many sports that take the weight off the joints.
I have a bad back, and I love to float weightless, it's way cool.
Big folks love it too!

James1010
11-16-2008, 12:53
I forgot to say that I saw a gentle men who weighed over 350 easy. The first dive he did he sucked his air down in 15 minutes or a little less but after a couple more dives he did pretty well. On one of his other dives he did a wreck dive where all three decks were open to divers in Cancun and he didn't do so well there with his buyoancy. But the awesome thing about it is that you don't have to be skinny to do Scuba diving.

IrishSquid
11-16-2008, 13:45
...some of us eat right and exercise vigorously and regularly and get really tired of people who assume otherwise.
...I am sad that someone who cares for other is so harshly judgmental of them...

You know what I get tired of and find sad and hypocritical? The majority of the folks I see working at the hospitals telling others to lose weight, workout, and other yip yap. My experience is the majority of personnel in the health care industry are "visually" the most unfit and that most of those folks should practice what they preach. I'm 51 yrs. old, 5'11", 210lbs. I do cardio, lift weights, stretch and have been active the majority of my life. Doc says my HR, BP, etc. are good, and not for a 50 yr. old but someone in their mid 20's. From some of the responses I've read here, I guess I'm a lazy pig cuz my waist is a bit larger than when I was 20. Oh well, I worked my a** off so I could relax and eat/drink, more so than when I sold plasma to buy food. The majority of folks condemning the big ones, will you come back 20-30 years from now with the same perspective? I'm assuming you're in your mid 20's to 30's. Off of my soapbox rant.

ChrisA
11-16-2008, 17:52
I understand that in today's society, being 20-30 lbs overweight is acceptable, but I thought that scuba divers would be in-shape, physically fit individuals. Please feel free to comment or provide insight, but please don't flame!!

I was just having the same conversation with some one else this morning. I was teling him that SCUBA was the one sport that works well for even grossly overweight people. There are several things I do at least once a week: Hiking, diving, swimming (in a pool) and bicycling. I'm not in great shape. I'm over 50 and 18 more pounds than I was in high school. But I do try and do "something" every day. Of all the spots listed above, my extra 18 pounds gives me the least problems in the water.

So I'd actually expect to see more really large divers on boats. And I do. I don't see many of the big ones at the beach. But on boats all you have to do is roll off the deck. I think scuba (from boats) attracts the larger people who like to do outdoors stuff.

You don't really need to be in shape to dive. Floating around weightless looking a fish does not require much energy. What about emergencies? Those are a one in a million chance

ChrisA
11-16-2008, 18:04
And you are kidding yourself if you think that obesity is always a choice or is always lifestyle related. You might want to study up on obesity and metabolism just a bit. I've done a great deal of research in this area in my work life. Sure, most people are overweight because of lifestyle issues, but not all.

I'm curious about this. Are you saying that there is a group of people who are fat for a reason other than eating more calories than they burn. Or maybe these people just HAVE to eat as much as they do in order to prevent so even worse problem.

I had always thought my weight problem was do to eating a llittle bit more food then I needed. Lately I've foundthat by cutting back on the food and ramping up my activity I'm losing one to a half pound a week. Are there people who would not loose weight if they did this. How common are they?

I'm asking this as a serious question. I'm guessing but maybe some one might be unable to digest (say) protean and so has to eat many pounds of it every day just to live and as a side effect gets to many calories.

teerlkay
11-19-2008, 15:07
I'd dive too

No gravity - imagine that - you spend 99% of your time huffing and puffing just thinking about moving.

good calorie burn - you burn a fair amount of calories diving and (for the most part), its low impact.

Rockhound76
11-19-2008, 15:20
Last week, I went to five one hour spin classes. Resting HR 58, MaxHR in class, 196, average 166. I lifted two days (out sick on my 3rd).

For breakfast I had a bran muffin 3 days and the chicken off a biscuit once. For lunch on 5 days, it was a diet smoothie. Dinner was not terribly healthy, but I ate no more in volume or cals than my kids (less than my teen).

I ate poorly over the weekend, but didn't gorge. I cycle 67 miles on Sunday, average speed 18.76 mph, about normal for me.

I've been doing this regularly for 7 years. The only times I loose weight is when I ride an extra 60 miles or more TWICE on the weekend (that's good for about .3lb/wk average. This spring, I'll go into that mode and probably loose 8-10lbs.)

I'm 6'1" tall and weigh 235. I am not muscular and I've always been either "fat" or "almost fat" my entire life. My BMI is "obese".

My mom was the same way. My youngest son is taking after me, heaven forbid. His older brother (2yrs. older) outeats us both and he does not have a weight problem.

It is not strictly about ins/outs in caloric terms. Anyone can reduce their intake to loose weight, but this is very difficult for some people. The comes a point when quality of life suffers.

I gave up long ago. These days, I just have fun. (btw, my SAC is pretty darn good.)

teog
11-21-2008, 13:03
As I read through a lot of this thread I couldn't help but to laugh. I'm not laughing at those that are obese and suffer medical problems due to being over weight. But at those who feel the need to belittle those bigger then them. And those who feel the need to post their stats as if this was a dating site or seeking fitness approval to dive.lol

I think that if you can make it in and out of the water on your own and not have any type of emergency problem while doing so, you are fit to dive. Regardless of how much or how little you weigh.

If you are the type of person who needs the regular assistance of others while diving(IE. standing up with all gear, not able to put own your own weight belt, not able to use the ladder while getting out of the water without help) you may need make some changes. I understand as a new diver you may need a little assistance in these areas, however you need to be self sufficient as you gain experience.

Since most of the time recreational diving is not extremely physically demanding, there is always that one time when the current picks up and you body is too stressed and exerted to get back safely. This could happen to anyone but, I would think a person would want to be in the best psychical shape in that event to survive. JMO

scubajane
11-21-2008, 22:29
...dicky-do's (when your belly sticks out farther than your dicky-do)

We always called it Dunlop's disease. it's when the belly dunlop over the belt.

I too am a chubby honey. SCUBA has made me more healthy. I eat less and move more. but still chubby. thanks to all of you for being so supportive. this really is a great forum.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be fat bashing. so very cool to see what it really is!!!!!

Largo
11-26-2008, 23:40
I'm sorry for reviving a very tired thread, but.

This thread motivated me to list all of the people that I know personally, who have died over the last ten years, and what they died of. The total was 26. 1 was a child who died of brain cancer. 3 died of emphysema, related to smoking. 5 died of wounds suffered in battle. 17 died of heart disease related to obesity.

No one in this thread belittled anyone for their "body shape."

No one eats fish and vegetables and remains obese.

Whatever. But, obesity is unhealthy.

As someone who has executed more than one rescue; If you are obese and you dive, you are endangering the lives of others.

Flame me if you want. It is the truth.

ektess1
11-27-2008, 01:27
If you had to choose an inta-budy on a dive boat, who would you choose and why. A fat diver that you had never met, or a fit diver that you had never met. Having had to assist obese divers who could never have assisted me had I needed help, I will never dive with an obese diver that I do not know again.

Largo
11-27-2008, 09:25
I am sorry for starting this miserable thread up again.

I feel that I need to explain myself.

Back in September my best friend died of heart failure. She was really heavy, and had a couple heart surgeries before she passed away. So now, this person who was very important to me is no longer in my life, and her husband and kids are doing without her presence, as well. For no good reason.

Then, yesterday a friend of the family went into the hospital for emergency heart surgery related to obesity. He's not expected to make it this time.

Once again, sorry for starting up this thread again.

Jack Hammer
11-27-2008, 12:05
Largo, sorry to hear of you friends misfortunes.

My dad was fat, 5'7" 300#'s+ fat. He exercised often, swimming, bicycling, long hikes, etc. He was still medically in poor shape overall and developed diabetes and other health issues related to the fact that even though he excersized regularly, overall, he didn't take care of himself. That is why he was overweight, not because of a genetic flaw. That's what I've persoanally seen to be the case with many of my overweight friends, and though they may not publicly admit it, they know it to be the case. They're fat because they are not willing to fully do what it takes to lose the weight and keep it off. That said, nobody likes being made fun for any reason, I try not to and I try to discourage others from doing it to.

I really believe that there are so many overweight (and by overweight I mean stereotypical fat people, (no offense intended:))) divers because diving is simply an activity where their physical size and weight doesn't prevent them from participating. You don't have to be of an athletic build to scuba dive.

Jack

fanatique
02-09-2009, 12:31
I think the stereotype that all divers are Navy Seal-fit has long been shattered, what with BCs and one-press buttons. Although it is my believe that fitness is key to enjoying scuba diving, not everyone out there shares the same philosophy.

emt
02-09-2009, 22:38
I wish all to be in perfect shape, excellent health, and expect to live to 100. I am always happy to see anyone trying to exercise. My motto is anything is better than nothing. The worst thing to do is do nothing. I hope everyone keeps going regardless of size.

Straegen
02-10-2009, 11:02
To chime in on an old thread... I am fat but in good shape otherwise. I can leg press just over 1000lbs, can pump out 500 crunches easily, run (not jog run) a mile easy, hike 10 with a 30lb pack without any real trouble and I can swim like a fish (OK more like a fat seal being buoyant keeps me from really ever getting tired in the water) amongst other things.

My weight does cause aggravation of joint issues from previous injuries I have but otherwise I do fairly adventurous activities backpacking, dirtbiking, snorkeling and now scuba diving.

In the end, I don't know why my weight would be anyone else's issue. I personally have a big problem with stupidity and ignorance which often does become my issue.

mrm777
03-02-2009, 01:07
"As someone who has executed more than one rescue; If you are obese and you dive, you are endangering the lives of others."

PvtStash
03-02-2009, 01:49
"As someone who has executed more than one rescue; If you are obese and you dive, you are endangering the lives of others."

Hmmm... I wonder... if your obese and Drive are you endangering the lives of those who may have to rescue you from a motor vehicle accident? What if your house is on Fire and you have to be rescued , but your Obese... are you endangering the lives of others? Its too general... basically says that If your fat then your endangering lives.

Your life is endangered every time you get out of bed in the morning... you can either be paralyzed by that realization, or Deal with it as best you can...

Straegen
03-02-2009, 05:26

I would state the general argument that weight while an indicator is not an exclusion of health. It would seem that being unfit and diving is dangerous. What about women who generally have less upper body strength compared to men? Why didn't the DM go out with an additional flotation device? How many divers have an annual checkup or know their BP, cholesterol, blood deficiencies, etc before entering the water? How many people have died scuba diving from being overweight or taken someone out with them? I could keep going but the point is a lot can go wrong and apparently did in the case you are listing which is completely anecdotal IMO.

Ever notice that most marine mammals have high body fat percentages? Just an observation.

Largo
03-02-2009, 12:16
For the love of God, won't someone close this thread?

I think that this topic would be fine for an in-person discussion, but this format leaves too much leeway for hurting other people's feelings. I am certainly guilty of that.

If I could go back in time and not post on this thread, I would.

Besides, it's really none of my business, anyway.

Lulubelle
03-02-2009, 12:28

I think that this topic would be fine for an in-person discussion, but this format leaves too much leeway for hurting other people's feelings. I am certainly guilty of that.

Contact a Moderator and your posts can be removed. Mine all were. Agreed, close this thread. It was dead until someone eager for their 50 dollars started pulling old threads up.

Straegen
03-02-2009, 12:40
Sorry for your losses and I can understand your concern. The topic is a good one I feel, but I believe you are correct that it might just be too hot button to be on an unrelated forum. I for one was disappointed in some of the posts while reading through them and lacking context it was difficult for me to understand the reasoning.

mksmith713
03-06-2009, 07:56
Weight isn't the issue.
I'll always been considered overweight.
Even when I was in the military, I had to pass pinch tests to stay out of remedial PT.
I think you're confusing overweight with obesity.

CompuDude
03-06-2009, 12:58
Why are there so many overweight divers? The answer is quite simple. (disclaimer: I read page one, and page 14, and have no interest in reading the 12 pages of argument in between, so if I missed something, there's why)

America is overweight. The percentage of Americans who are overweight is enormous compared to most other first world nations. What is it, something like 50% or something similarly outrageous? Given the percentage of the population that is overweight, frankly, the reason you don't see a LOT more overweight divers is that many genuinely overweight people don't really want to do things that smack of physical exertion, and that includes diving for those who aren't sufficiently motivated for other reasons.

I'm hardly fat, but I'm carrying a few pounds I could afford to shed. The vast majority of us are. As long as you are physically fit enough to pass the basic OW cert skills tests (and if that was many years and many pounds ago, you should consider trying it again), you should be fit enough to dive. Considering that bar is not very high, that's going to include a LOT of people who don't exactly meet the physical ideal. And that's ok. (I do wish the people who can't meet those goals, however, would give up diving until they can again. Those people are out there.) As others have pointed out, simply being a bit overweight is not the same as being unsafe to dive. As long as you're safe to dive, I'm glad to have you out there. :)

eland
03-12-2009, 19:38
I'm new to this forum and this is the first thread that I have read. I must tell you I'm 52 years old, I'm 5'10" and weigh 320 lbs ( yes I'm fat and I know it ). I had 2 dive stores when I was younger and have taught quite a few people how to dive in my younger years. My wife and I are going to Cozumel and if it bothers you to see a fat person diving you might want to stay home for the last week in April. I know my limitations but I have and still do enjoy this sport so I will keep diving until the good Lord takes me or I am unable to take care of myself.

The Great Kazoo
03-12-2009, 20:44
It is called self control. Just because you order an extra large pizza, does not mean you have to eat the whole thing in one sitting (or two sittings). MOST of my office IS overweight, and I continuously watch them Graze. Meals between meals. Eat what you want, look the way you want. Fat people (30lbs overweight and up) live an average of 15 years less. Some states are now charging overweight employees extra for their health insurance. Soon this will be the norm. On the comment of sea animals...... Come on, seriously?...

Straegen
03-12-2009, 21:18
Some people have thyroid issues that prevent normal weight loss amongst other problems that can contribute to weight gain or difficulty in removing weight. I sit and watch my skinny friends rip through a 1000 plus calorie meal in amazement. I can't remember the last time I had a coke, pasta, real pizza, fast food (I miss fries... and potatoes in general) or anything that came in over 500 calories. Dessert... I don't even know what that is any longer.

Fat while an indicator of health is not the final arbitrator. I would also point out that an out of shape skinny person is in more danger in the water than a similarly unfit overweight person. One naturally floats and has some protection from the cold, the other sinks like a stone and will get cold much easier. I have several skinny friends who never go to the gym, live sedentary lives, eat whatever and never go to the doctor while I go to the gym frequently, watch what I eat, see my doctor monthly and do lots of outdoor activities. I know who is healthier even if I am bigger.

As for higher ins premiums, this is true for smokers as well and cannot fault insurance companies from doing that. That said, parental/genetic history (I don't want to pay for people who are cancer/heart disease prone since I am not), personal choices such as scuba diving/riding motorcycles, your job, your commuting time, speeding tickets, etc. are all fair game once they start billing the individual and creating risk categories.

cyclone3565
03-13-2009, 13:51
Fat people can make all the excuses they want for being a healthier diver, insulation and flotation aside. I have been spending two hours a day, working out and quitting smoking to become healthier. 6' tall, was 212 now 165 and not smoking since October. Don't tell me about thyroid and all the other stuff, hard work and commitment is what it takes. People make a decision to be fat, nothing else.

Sorry to be venting, I am sure this will piss of a few, but how can a three hundred+ pounder go around saying they are in good health.

Lulubelle
03-13-2009, 14:22
Fat people can make all the excuses they want for being a healthier diver, insulation and flotation aside. I have been spending two hours a day, working out and quitting smoking to become healthier. 6' tall, was 212 now 165 and not smoking since October. Don't tell me about thyroid and all the other stuff, hard work and commitment is what it takes. People make a decision to be fat, nothing else.

Sorry to be venting, I am sure this will piss of a few, but how can a three hundred+ pounder go around saying they are in good health.

Your ignorance leaves me speechless. I did research on obesity and metabolism for years. While it is true that much of obesity IS related to poor lifestyle choices, roughly 30% of people who are overweight/obese did not win the genetic lottery in this area of their lives. Not all people are dealt an equal hand of cards in this regard. Nevertheless, the only tools that are available to modulate weight are diet, exercise, and the correction of any metabolic issues that are known to medicine at this time. We know about some of them and are able to correct them. Some are known but no effective solutions have been identified. Then there is the world of what we don't know yet, we just know that similar people in similar circumstances respond differently to the same diet and exercise interventions.

The good news is that people who tend to conserve fat despite diet and exercise with no correctable medical cause which can be found...will live much longer than the rest of the world if we run out of food, find ourselves on a desert island, etc. The bad news is that they will have to live with the judgment of people like yourself in the meantime.

People of all shapes and sizes should examine their eating and exercise habits, as well as correcting any medical issues which may be present, striving for all of them to be in the best place possible. The start and finish will not look the same for anyone.

Good for you for being successful in improving your health, btw. I'm sure it was hard.

Good for some of the big guys and gals posting here for pursuing an active sport like scuba. Rock on.:smiley31:

Good health to all and happy diving.

cyclone3565
03-13-2009, 14:41
I am certainly no medical expert, all I can go by is watch some people eat and hang around, and then they are surprised that they bend the spring on the scale. Studies have shown, that the incidence of heart disease is directly proportional to an individuals weight and eating habits. So now you combine that, a waist size over 40" and diving and your have a recipe for disaster.

This society caters to overweight people. You should go to Europe or Asia sometime, and you will realize why, worldwide, the US is the fattest country/society, and has the highest heart disease rate. Go to a mall and just walk around, unofficial study and you will see what I mean, then check the clothing stores, if you are a petite female, say a size P2 or P4, the section of clothing available is miniscule compared to the overweight sections. Big and Tall stores, for men, heck, I could wear 1/4 of a suit, that fits someone else.

Lulubelle
03-13-2009, 14:51
I am certainly no medical expert, all I can go by is watch some people eat and hang around, and then they are surprised that they bend the spring on the scale. Studies have shown, that the incidence of heart disease is directly proportional to an individuals weight and eating habits. So now you combine that, a waist size over 40" and diving and your have a recipe for disaster.

This society caters to overweight people. You should go to Europe or Asia sometime, and you will realize why, worldwide, the US is the fattest country/society, and has the highest heart disease rate. Go to a mall and just walk around, unofficial study and you will see what I mean, then check the clothing stores, if you are a petite female, say a size P2 or P4, the section of clothing available is miniscule compared to the overweight sections. Big and Tall stores, for men, heck, I could wear 1/4 of a suit, that fits someone else.

Fair point, and I am well traveled across Europe and Asia. They are becoming fatter, partly because of American influences. As I said, for MOST, but not all, people, lifestyle choices are the issue. At the end of the day though, I applaud anyone for making positive changes in their lifestyle. :smiley32:Whether one is thin, not so thin, overweight, has a medical reason for being heavy, whatever, exercise does a body a world of good. So does a healthy diet. We should all focus on pulling people up, not down. What good does it do to point fingers? Do you have any heavy friends? Invite them for a hike, prepare a healthy meal with them, etc. I, like Straegen, would rather have a heavy dive buddy who exercises and eats fairly healthy than a skinny chain smoker!

And yes, I do believe that one should be reasonably fit for diving. But I also believe that one can be reasonably fit at many sizes. I'm not skinny, nor am I fat. But I am FIT. Very fit. Can kick your ass with those pointy toe boots in my avatar FIT. :smiley36:

cyclone3565
03-13-2009, 15:03
Point Well Taken.

I have pointy boots as well.

Now reall quick I noticed at the bottom and I must Say.

Go state.

NC State graduate 1987

Have a great weekend.

Dive Safe

Lulubelle
03-13-2009, 15:29
Point Well Taken.

I have pointy boots as well.

Now reall quick I noticed at the bottom and I must Say.

Go state.

NC State graduate 1987

Have a great weekend.

Dive Safe

Yeah, but I've been kickboxing lately and women have more lower body strength size per size than men. I'm 5'10" so it could be true that I could really kick your a.. unless you are taller.

Sorry about the game yesterday...I will always pull for State against anyone but UNC.

UNC 1987 and 1996. Now i guess I am outing myself.

GO HEELS

in_cavediver
03-13-2009, 18:33

I'm gonna tell you a few things you may not like. First, about me. About 7 years ago, I was 170ish and a 33" waist. I started driving a desk, then 5 years ago, I got married and 3 years ago, I got a stressful job. In those 7 years, a few extra pounds showed up, ok around 35-40 extra pounds. I am working to drop them but my current lifestyle makes that difficult.

I can still swim into a strong current, lug around tec gear including dbl 104's in a drysuit in August in Florida and enjoy nice LONG dives involving swims of up to a mile or so against the flow before turning around and swimming back. In my off time, I am a volunteer FF and after going through the practicals for the FF2 test this past month without any issue, I'd say I am in pretty darn good shape, despite the extra weight. There were many 'ideal wieght' FF's who dropped out during one particulur grueling day. I had my vitals montitored during those days and guess what, my were elevated as expected and in the normal range for the activies. Lookup CPAT for a taste of part of that day.

Don't give me the BS line that wieght is the only factor for fitness. I'll freely admit I can drop some weight but I am NOT out of shape.

cummings66
03-13-2009, 21:59
I guess I shouldn't have deleted my posts. I posted once that not all overweight people are there by diet, but rather there by genetics. Just as not all skinny people are there by diet either.

Some people are just that way and there is nothing that can be done to change it. To insinuate that those people can fix themselves is simply wrong.

For me though, I'm a little overweight (15 lbs) and I can fix it because I am that way due to circumstances. I used to be about 40 lbs overweight but I'm working that off slowly via lifestyle changes. That is me, my circumstances and I know it to be that way. I've got a friend who eats less than me and outweighs me by 200 lbs, and he doesn't eat garbage. Great physicals and other than his joints hurting he's in better shape than I am medically speaking.

It's a narrow point of view to assume overweight people can all fix that, very narrow and IMO an apology is owed.

emt
03-13-2009, 23:16

Contact a Moderator and your posts can be removed. Mine all were. Agreed, close this thread. It was dead until someone eager for their 50 dollars started pulling old threads up.

1st post 6.1.08 with repeat posts in July, Aug, Sept., Oct., Nov. of 08, fanatique posted 2.9.09 but he only has 107 posts so I don't think he posted for the $50, looks like he just wanted to voice his opinion. There are many posts Feb. & Mar. of 09.
I think all of us are concerned about this (body weight) to a degree and I do not see this topic vanishing in our lifetimes. While at the same time, it is good to be conscientious and nice to others.

Lulubelle
03-14-2009, 09:24
emt, if you look at Fanatique's history, he had just a few days of posting up to 30 times a day, and resurrected many old posts. I suspect he was angling for his 250 and had the kibosh put on him for resurrecting so many old posts.

Personally, I hope this one dies soon. If it was more focused on modifiable risk factors and positive approaches to addressing them, then great, keep it alive. But it is not, so hopefully it will DIE.

I'm going to the gym now to modify some of my risk factors.

scubastud
03-14-2009, 09:32
I aint killin the thread!

I think large people are encouraged to take up SCUBA by the wetsuit manufacturers so they can sell larger and custom suits for more money..
A vast conspiracy.. I blame Bush.

emt
03-14-2009, 09:48
" I'm going to the gym now to modify some of my risk factors."

My bedroom TV reception was out for a month (cable had a nick in it to one room) and my weight also increased because I was not on my excercise machine in the bedroom while watching TV.
I fixed it yesterday so last night I had a good workout.
Hope the gym workout goes well.

Lulubelle
03-14-2009, 10:01
" I'm going to the gym now to modify some of my risk factors."

My bedroom TV reception was out for a month (cable had a nick in it to one room) and my weight also increased because I was not on my excercise machine in the bedroom while watching TV.
I fixed it yesterday so last night I had a good workout.
Hope the gym workout goes well.

I don't have any risk factors that everyone else doesn't have. Other than stress perhaps, but who is free of THAT? But a portion of my clinical and research career was in obesity and diabetes, and therefore, behavior modification, so this thread holds interest for me.

Gym today is more for stress relief than anything else. Today I am doing kickboxing. Nothing better for stress relief than to wear yourself down to a puddle hitting, kicking, spinning, etc. And having a live sparring partner makes it MUCH better and more fun. And a nice side effect is that it gives you muscles and burns fat.

I am easily bored, couldn't do the inside thing much. I keep a recumbent bike in the home when I am desperate, can't get outdoors, or when there are a lots of bugs going around/i don't want to go to the gym.

Tomorrow was supposed to be an 8 mile hike, but it looks like it will be rained out.

For me, the key is variety. And combining fun/time with friends with activity.

cummings66
03-15-2009, 07:55
So in regards to kickboxing, is this something that you go for with gusto with the possibilities of injury? I know at my local Y they do boxing.

You enjoy spinning? I'm curious if you could be so kind as to tell me what you get out of it? I'm the kind of person who goes crazy in one spot and to me spinning seems kind of pointless. I don't care for activities where I'm not doing something. Can you think about life and spin? If I can think I can do OK.

When you speak of modifiable risk factors what are you referring to? I'm thinking things like genetics or disease? Or do you refer to things like a sedimentary lifestyle?

I know I am now trying in earnest to tone up and get rid of my excess fat, using a variety of methods. First is a better diet and next is to add muscle to increase my RMR, then it's cardio within the zone system. I'm doing the zone 3 rate, impatient. It took me 43 years to get here, I want to fix it this year.

Straegen
03-15-2009, 09:18
Boxing with head gear, belt and 14oz gloves is like getting hit by a giant Q-Tip unless someone significantly larger hits you. I boxed (amateur but real boxing) for a few years and in training it is really hard to hurt someone and we were going full out. It is really fun and I miss the ring but not the training. It will kick most peoples butt since it is a full body workout and the adrenalin really gets you pumped up for working even harder.

Life expectancy can be determined first by genetics, environment and by size (fat or just big). The larger you are the more likely you are to die sooner. If you are 6'4" and in top shape weighing 240lb you probably won't live as long as someone who is 140lb who is in moderate shape with similar genetic/environmental factors. This is a relatively poor example but larger dogs don't outlive smaller ones generally speaking. One of the reasons (and not the only one) women tend to outlive men is this factor. Most cancers are genetic or environmental and heart disease as much as people would like to rank fat as the primary cause that falls to genetics more often than not. Sedentary lifestyle (poor cardio health) and diet not fat are the contributing factors. Fat is usually the primary indicator of the former statement but not the root cause.

People with strong cardiovascular function, regardless of their size, are healthier and live longer than their sedentary counterparts. For example, in a study of 2,603 people age 60 and older published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association, physically fit individuals had roughly the same mortality rate whether they were underweight, normal weight, or overweight. Being fit can even trump being thin: People who were fat but fit had a survival edge over those who were skinny but inactive.You can read the rest at CR: Hefty and healthy, physically fit at any weight (http://www.consumerreports.org/health/healthy-living/fitness/staying-fit/hefty-and-healthy/fit-at-any-weight/fit-at-any-weight.htm)

As for everything else, I have said my piece on the subject and I am sorry there are still people who think all fat people are lazy and eating their way into an early grave. I am sure these are the same people that think everyone can quit smoking with no help, believe people can stop being an alcoholic and think people with depression should just cheer up. Most fat people are well aware they are fat as they are reminded by it every day and they struggle with their weight for a variety of reasons. For me like most it isn't one thing, but I carve out each day trying to make better decisions for a healthier life and firmly believe I live more, eat better, and workout more than most. Just wish it reflected that around my waist more often and certainly wish I could do what my very skinny friend did yesterday and eat just cookies all day. I miss cookies.

Lulubelle
03-15-2009, 10:32
So in regards to kickboxing, is this something that you go for with gusto with the possibilities of injury? I know at my local Y they do boxing.

You enjoy spinning? I'm curious if you could be so kind as to tell me what you get out of it? I'm the kind of person who goes crazy in one spot and to me spinning seems kind of pointless. I don't care for activities where I'm not doing something. Can you think about life and spin? If I can think I can do OK.

When you speak of modifiable risk factors what are you referring to? I'm thinking things like genetics or disease? Or do you refer to things like a sedimentary lifestyle?

Hi Cummings, I am not training to be a fighter, just kickboxing as part of my fitness routine. It is such a good whole body workout. And a terrifica stress reliever. My trainer (who is both a college educated athletic trainer and MMA fighter) uses pads, i don't "spar" with him in a real fight to fight stance. Althought I do go for it with gusto, there is not much possibility of injury unless I miss the pads! Or fall while spinning around! Not talking about "spinning" on a bike, I HATE that kind of "spinning". BORING to me. I'm talking about spinning around while punching/kicking with my trainer. And I probably shouldn't use the word "spin" to describe what we do. But he does move around and make me turn this way and that way. I have tiny little ankles, and so changing my stance makes me not only pay better attention to my form, but it helps me develop better balance and ankle strength, which I need to develop.

I do wish my trainer would stop watching those videos of russian strength training methods. We did some of that yesterday, and every muscle I have hurts today.

As for risk factors, ALL OF US have modifiable risk factors for good and bad health: for example lifestyle, diet, weight to varying degrees, sometimes conditions like diabetes and htn, etc. Then there are the nonmodifiable risk factors: like age, genetics, conditions that aren't modifiable, limits on modifiable conditions like diabetes and htn, injuries, etc. I can't control all of mine (for instance AGE and genetics), but I seek to control the ones that I can (lifestyle and diet). I live the positive, what I CAN DO. I used to run 20-30 miles a week. Can't do that anymore. So I seek to find things that I can do, not that any of them give me the endorphin high of running. But kickboxing is coming close.

And to the ladies out there, this stuff really does work the entire body very well, it isn't going to make you big and bulky, it is nearly impossible for a woman's body to do that unless she was born big and bulky. It is making me leaner and slimmer, and stronger. And better able to haul my scuba gear. Not that I won't continue to bat my eyes and try to get some guy to carry them! :smiley36:

emt
03-15-2009, 18:42
Since the average person watches TV at least 1 hour a day according to most studies more:How Americans Spend an Average Day (http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/censusandstatistics/a/averageday.htm)
On an average day in 2003, nearly everyone (96 percent) age 15 and over reported some sort of leisure or sports activity, such as watching TV, socializing, or exercising. Including the small proportion of the population that reported no leisure activities, men spent more time doing leisure activities (5.4 hours) than women (4.8 hours).
Watching TV was the leisure activity that occupied the most time, accounting for about half of leisure time on average for both men and women. Socializing, such as visiting with friends or attending or hosting social events, was the next most common leisure activity, accounting for about three-quarters of an hour per day for both sexes.

Everyone has a RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) to burn calories. But, why not put some device to move more muscles and burn more calories in front of the TV. You could call it a workout or you could call it your daily walk. If you think you should only work out only every other day and your opposed to working out daily, then don't; slow down to a walk since all of us walk every day and no one is opposed to an average person getting out of bed and walking daily. Walking will burn more calories than just relying on RMR while watching TV.

Sometimes I watch TV and am not really working out but I still can be using a slow extra movement of body muscles like the legs to burn more calories. There are many different ideas to burn extra calories while watching TV.

Like driving a car you can go different speeds: idle (RMR), slow, medium, faster, and full sprint. The slow speed will burn more calories than the idle sitting on the coach.
Personally I primarily rely on my leg muscle groups to give me my workout when I desire to "workout" but I occasionally also use my arm muscle groups etc.
Going a slow pace imitating walking etc. should cause no average normal healthy person to violate their training routine. It will however, burn more calories than sitting in a chair. My view is anything is better than nothing.

Splitlip
03-15-2009, 18:56
Matt:
I think the spinning L was speaking of is like "spinning" roundhouse kicks. :)

Not the infomercial spinning., LOL

Lulubelle
03-15-2009, 19:03
Matt:
I think the spinning L was speaking of is like "spinning" roundhouse kicks. :)

Not the infomercial spinning., LOL

Not just the roundhouse kicks, he just keeps me twirling around while doing the punches too, to help with balance. Hey, SL, can I try out my kicks on YOU? Brave enough? :smiley31:

Infomercial spinning? I guess I don't watch enough TV...

cummings66
03-15-2009, 21:09
Another sport worth checking into that is very physical is Judo then.

At any rate, IMO anything that's live and real is better than a machine, but for now I'm using machines until the weather changes a bit more to my liking, then I'm going to start doing sprints up hills. I think this year will be the first year since I got married that I will lose my gut. I'm working hard on it anyhow. It's just that sometimes I think I'm not working hard enough, but I know I'm supposed to rest and recover because working out hard everyday is actually harmful. So the conventional wisdom goes.

Anyhow, good for you and the kickboxing. I know it's good and much more fun, plus has a practical side to it.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-16-2009, 10:24
Not that I won't continue to bat my eyes and try to get some guy to carry them! :smiley36:

She has eyes and she knows how to use them...

I wish I could bat my eyes and get some chick to carry my double 120s...

On second thought, no I don't - Don't want to mess around with anyone who can kick my ***.

cummings66
03-17-2009, 19:57
Double 120's are fun, I dive them and wish somebody would carry them, especially when it's time to fill them. So much heavier after a dive than before it, so it seems.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-17-2009, 20:04
Double 120's are fun, I dive them and wish somebody would carry them, especially when it's time to fill them. So much heavier after a dive than before it, so it seems.

Yep- taking them to be filled is the worst.

fanatique
03-24-2009, 23:45

Holy crap. And I thought stepping out of the water with a single tank was a bitch already. Diving doubles must really blow when it comes to going back on land.

kat
04-26-2009, 22:18

Holy crap. And I thought stepping out of the water with a single tank was a bitch already. Diving doubles must really blow when it comes to going back on land.

I agree with you on that!

litenyaup
04-27-2009, 10:11

i am a fire fighter and being "in shape" is pretty important. i am 6'1 and am about 235 pounds. i dont have abs and by doctors standards today would be considered overwieght. i am very active and do a lot of physical sports...paintball, hunting, running, swimming, bike riding....as long as you are healthy, and you dont have the dicky-do going on, you are good! i have ran into people who are skinning or "in shape" and are in horrible health. as long as you stay active and eat right you should be good.

cummings66
04-27-2009, 20:01
Actually it's not a big deal for me to manage my doubles, and as my buddies would attest I do not have abs or other large visible muscles. On the machines I can do more now than I've been able to for a long time, but you can't see them through the fat.

I'm not obese, but I'm not thin either. I'm near average IMO.

BubblesMcGinty
04-27-2009, 20:07
I think there is a major factor being overlooked here. Genetics dictate body shape, but physical activity can minimize or maximize that Genetic code.

Healthy lifestyles will give you the best of what you were dealt. Thank you for loving all of us not so fortunate to be dealt the cards that allowed you to be the person you are.

cummings66
04-28-2009, 10:05
I'm not sure I got what you said, but speaking for myself only I am not the kind of person who judges another based on outward appearances, within reason that is. I am a realist and will dive with anybody of any size as long as the dive is within their skill set. My only requirement to dive with you is safety first and fun second.

I know my body is capable of more than it is currently putting out. Back in High School I was fit and trim. I could run a marathon back then and not be winded, and I did those distances so I have a foundation to stand on. I didn't have hardly any fat on me, but I never had a visible 6 pack. So for me personally I know that my body can be better than what it is and I am working off the fat I have picked up over the 30 years or so since High School. It took a long time to get where I'm at and I know it's not going to be a fast road back. I'm willing to put in the effort to do so and I will.

For example, today at lunch time I'm either going to lift weights or swim a mile. Not sure which I'll do, but I will be doing one of the two. Probably swimming since I lifted yesterday and I need a day off to regenerate the body's muscles. Continuous daily work like that doesn't do well for the body if you want to grow it's health. Lift hard one day and rest the next, or at least work a different muscle group. I'm trying to help my shoulder, I fell off a roof a few weeks ago and hurt my shoulder pretty bad when I hit the ground so I'm kind of back to square one on it. I'm working it, but lightly so it doesn't regress and I don't hurt it more by overwork. Like the doctor said, if it hurts don't do that.

So I'm lifting weights and then I do cardiovascular work on the off days.

Have I lost weight in the 3 months I've been doing this? Not more than a pound. But, I can lift much more weight now so I've added muscle mass somewhere underneath the fat. I have greatly increased the amount of weight I can lift on most of the machines now. For example, when I started I couldn't budge the 100lb mark on the ab machine. I don't know what I can't budge now, but I can do 170 lbs on the ab machine now. I couldn't do 70 lbs on one of the leg machines abulator? and now I do 130 lbs. I couldn't do more than 150 lbs on another leg exercise and now I'm doing 220 lbs on it. Almost every muscle has increased it's strength quite a bit over the last 3 months. I feel better most of the time as well. My back has shown drastic improvements. It used to hurt all the time, every minute of the day. It hurt pretty good, enough that I had to take ibuprofin in order to sleep. I rarely do that now. My knees hurt all the time and now they don't hurt hardly at all, in short many of my aches and pains are now gone or reduced in intensitity. I feel better.

So, I know my body can rebuild itself if I work it. I merely want to get down to maybe 12% body fat and have the ability to lift at least 200 lbs with every muscle group and whatever body weight I end up at is where I'll be, I don't have a goal there. I'm slowly gaining on the desired results and I know I can be like I used to be in high school with time and effort. I never had bulging muscles and I don't really want them either. I want a lean physique that's healthy, and I know with time I will get it back.

But that's me and my body. Not anybody elses.

russp
04-29-2009, 12:42

That's why I wear an integrated weight BC:smiley36:. I have lost 5 of the 20 pounds of excess belly that I squeeze into my current wet suits.

boogerm45
04-29-2009, 16:20
Just sounds to me that there is some underlying predjuces comming out here, I smoke and have the gut, and am 50 years old, love to dive, and would bet that the arrogence of the initiation of this thread couldnt out do me by much in the two mile run!! LMAO

cummings66
04-29-2009, 19:57
If you can run two miles you're better than me. My knees won't take it.

I myself could care less about factors like this, I figure it's your life to lead as you wish. That's how I am, I'm not about controlling anybody other than myself because I'm a handful and can't do much more.

Kingpatzer
05-01-2009, 08:59
Just sounds to me that there is some underlying predjuces comming out here, I smoke and have the gut, and am 50 years old, love to dive, and would bet that the arrogence of the initiation of this thread couldnt out do me by much in the two mile run!! LMAO

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll add my $.02 from what I have read:

Diving has a few dangers, the two most common of which are DCS and cardiac events. Being over weight, smoking, and other unhealthy lifestyle choices (and they are choices unless you're one of the 0.5% of the population with legitimate glandular problems) puts a person at significantly greater risk.

Since diving is, in general, something you do with other people, those who do not care for themselves properly are not only are placing themselves at risk, they are placing those who will have to rescue them at risk as well.

I have no problem diving with most anyone who wants to dive (though I have done so with a few folks whose health was clearly sub-standard), but I don't understand how anyone can care so little about themselves as abuse their body the way so many do.

USF_Diver
05-04-2009, 11:37
I didn't read the whole thread either. And I do agree likes others have said some people have extra weight but there cardio is great and I think that is the most important thing since sometimes you have to kick hard to get out of some currents or to swim back to a dive boat not close.

Its the people that struggle with really bad cardio overweight or thin that are a dive accident waiting to happen.

UofTOrange
05-19-2009, 11:51
I'm overweight and I know it. I'm working towards it and every pound I lose seems to help me diving. But, the more important thing for me is cardio for stamina

cruzan
05-19-2009, 18:14
My husband is a bit rounder than would be considered acceptable. Low blood pressure, low cholesterol ect. he can hang in any position he wants and has great control underwater. It seems that acceptable weight and shape is subject to individual considerations.
As he trains for DM he has begun to slim down though:smiley20:.

LittleOtter
07-01-2009, 19:11
Hey guys sorry I hatn posted in a while but, I have to agree with cruzan that acceptable is different for everyone. I can do 100 pushups, run 5 miles, and play ultimate frisbee and other sports besides diving and even though i'm medically considered "overweight", I consider it acceptable as I don't break the scale and am only 5'8 so i'm kinda short.

Darthwader
07-01-2009, 20:25
The reason is simple . . . . fat people want to see cool things under water just like you do!!!

Fat people can be active people too. They just eat more than what their activties burn.

I am considered fat to some people since I am about 10-20 lbs overweight but I still want to dive. I don't have a lot of endurance so I choose dives that aren't as strenous as some. Consider where you are diving. A quary isn't exactly a difficult dive. A shore dive off the west coast is a bit more physically taxing and I'd be willing to bet that you won't see as many very overweight people diving there.

One other thing to consider. Diving is something that even people with physical problems can do. In other words, say someone has back or knee problems. Those problems limit their physical activity on land therefore they don't burn as many calories as someone with no problems that can go for a jog or play softball or whatever else they want to do. But people with those problems CAN swim and dive because in water they are pretty much weightless and they don't have the impact on their joints like on land.

my first and probably lasting impression of scuba diving is the classic double-hose toting UDT frogman. that's iconic to me. I've since realized that the physical range of divers is so much more diverse (hmm, "diverse divers. . ." I gotta do something with that!:smiley2:). all the different ages, fitness levels, and varying degrees of handicaps makes the diving community much richer (and more interesting) than My original schema.
I guess when it comes to fitness, as with any other aspect of diving, all I'm concerned with is that one should make sure to dive withing one's limits.