PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit for long and thin daughter

hitsieboy
06-01-2008, 11:15
Okay, I'm a guy (father) who needs to find a wetsuit for our daughter who is going to a hockey and surf camp this sumer. She is 5'11" tall and 135lbs. I have been looking all over the net, including this forum, to find her a 3/2 shorty for surfing. If we have to go custom, any suggestions in that area would be appreciated too. However, she's only 14, so I don't want to spend a fortune. Would a thermal rash shirt work in about 65 degree water? Thanks in advance.:smiley2:

fisheater
06-01-2008, 11:43
If you go custom, check out Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite (http://www.aquaflite.com).

Splitlip
06-01-2008, 12:26
Okay, I'm a guy (father) who needs to find a wetsuit for our daughter who is going to a hockey and surf camp this sumer. She is 5'11" tall and 135lbs. I have been looking all over the net, including this forum, to find her a 3/2 shorty for surfing. If we have to go custom, any suggestions in that area would be appreciated too. However, she's only 14, so I don't want to spend a fortune. Would a thermal rash shirt work in about 65 degree water? Thanks in advance.:smiley2:
Have you checked out Quicksilver and Excel?

My experience with both those suits is they have a "length to width" ratio more appropriate for a "lean" surfer.

No on the thermal Rash guard.

longtailbda
06-01-2008, 17:05
Try calling Dow Stewart at wetsuit world they can set you up with a custom suit without much of a problem great prices as well. The # is 609-368-1500 or Water Sports Store, Wetsuits, Surfboards.. In Stone Harbor, New Jersey. (http://wetsuitworld.com)

longtailbda
06-09-2008, 15:23
Checking back again I realized I only answered part of your question the other part I intended to answer is that a thermal rash shirt will NOT work in 65 degree water. She'll probably need a 5mil suit at least it really depends on her susceptibility to cold.

caroln
06-09-2008, 20:15
Check out Akona suits. I hear they are well proportioned for tall skinny people. Or go with a vry stretchy model like a Henderson Thermoprene or Pinnacle Elasiprene. Both should offer some flexibility allowing her to find a good fit.

Largo
06-11-2008, 20:27
Since she is still growing, and she will be using it for surfing, why not go cheap?

Try places like Boater's World, and Bass Pro Shops. The wetsuits there aren't scuba quality, but it doesn't sound like she needs a $200 suit.

Splitlip
06-11-2008, 21:24
Largo, Largo dear Largo.
You cannot expect a teenager to paddle out to the line up in any thing but a a labled wetsuit.
1. Excel (so long as they can ride well)
2. Quicksilver
3. O'Neill
4. Body Glove
5. Rip Curl

That's it. Nothing else. Nada.

Splitlip
06-11-2008, 21:25
Check out Akona suits. I hear they are well proportioned for tall skinny people. Or go with a vry stretchy model like a Henderson Thermoprene or Pinnacle Elasiprene. Both should offer some flexibility allowing her to find a good fit.
Not for surfing :)

CFDAlden
06-11-2008, 23:54
Bare makes some nice shorty's that would work out. They have a ton of different sizes too.

highdesert
06-12-2008, 09:06
Call me a weenie, but I'd freeze in a 3/2 shorty in 65 degree water. Do the camp operators have a recommendation for the area, or some suggestions on what most people use?

hitsieboy
06-13-2008, 11:26
Thanks to all of you who gave me your thoughtful advice. I ended up contacting Dow Stewart at Wetsuit World on Stone Harbor, NJ and he was incredibly knowledgable and helpful. I real pleasure to deal with. He recommended a Henderson Hyperflex suit in a men's small and it worked like a charm. Anyone who is looking for a helpful knowlegable, dedicated and honest professional to deal with should not hesitate for a moment to contact him regarding anything to do with surfing/snorkeling equipment. Water Sports Store, Wetsuits, Surfboards.. In Stone Harbor, New Jersey. (http://www.wetsuitworld.com).

longtailbda
06-13-2008, 16:16
Thanks to all of you who gave me your thoughtful advice. I ended up contacting Dow Stewart at Wetsuit World on Stone Harbor, NJ and he was incredibly knowledgable and helpful. I real pleasure to deal with. He recommended a Henderson Hyperflex suit in a men's small and it worked like a charm. Anyone who is looking for a helpful knowlegable, dedicated and honest professional to deal with should not hesitate for a moment to contact him regarding anything to do with surfing/snorkeling equipment. Water Sports Store, Wetsuits, Surfboards.. In Stone Harbor, New Jersey. (http://www.wetsuitworld.com).

Dow is the best. I can never say enough good things about him. He's both a diver and a surfer. He worked for Henderson for years and helped developed their surfing line. He took over the company store (wetsuit world) and been giving great service since. :smiley20:

longtailbda
06-13-2008, 16:39
By the way try to get your daughter certified as a diver it sounds like she enjoys water and having surfed and boated ect. its better from below.
If your not certified try it yourself, I couldn't tell by your profile.