PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Pills?

easyrider003
06-01-2008, 12:09
I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased anything from somewhere like GNC to help you lose weight. No matter how much I seem to diet or excersice, I can never seem to be able to lose my tummy. Any suggestions on what to do or is there any SAFE weight lose pills that I can take to help out?

Navy OnStar
06-01-2008, 12:25
I tried hydroxycut and found I was allergic to it for some reason. I am not allergic to any foods or medications but this stuff has something in it that gave me an allergic reaction. I have heard of others having the same reaction.

OnStar

diver-wife
06-01-2008, 12:36
I work in the medical field, 99% of those product are not worth the bottle they come it, mostly just loaded with caffeine, even the best FDA approved weight loss medication generally only add 10-15 lbs of your total weight loss, and most people gain that back. The only true way to loose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. Some people can greatly benefit from a trainer, they soon realize they were no excercizing correctly (I cannot spell). Over the counter Alli can help, but mostly by punishing you (read the label) for eating fatty food!!

Dive Rong
06-01-2008, 15:28
I was up to 195 lbs at one time. I tried some prescription weight loss pills and went down to about 185. Like Diver-wife said... I gained it all back. I then cut out everything with processed sugar (and of course no alcohol). I went from 195 to 155 in about 4 months. Have stayed between 155 and 160 for over two years. I do miss lemon marangue pie though... and coconut cake, Boston Cream pie, Dainish pasteries, York Peppermint Patties, etc, etc, etc :) - DRg

easyrider003
06-01-2008, 17:51
To give you an idea of my size I am 5'11" 225 lbs. I would lie to be at least 200, maybe even around 190. I just got engaged 3 weeks ago on a cruise in the bahamas and we have set the date for June 20,2009. This is my main motivation for loosing weight, just hoping I will be able to get there.

matt151617
06-01-2008, 19:14
Don't waste your money on them. Look for better ways to burn fat more efficiently.

PlatypusMan
06-01-2008, 19:22
I was up to 195 lbs at one time. I tried some prescription weight loss pills and went down to about 185. Like Diver-wife said... I gained it all back. I then cut out everything with processed sugar (and of course no alcohol). I went from 195 to 155 in about 4 months. Have stayed between 155 and 160 for over two years. I do miss lemon marangue pie though... and coconut cake, Boston Cream pie, Dainish pasteries, York Peppermint Patties, etc, etc, etc :) - DRg

I'm right there with you... I dream of ice cream, and chips and salsa.

... and that's just for starters...

PPM

IrishSquid
06-01-2008, 20:00
... I just got engaged 3 weeks ago on a cruise in the bahamas and we have set the date for June 20,2009. This is my main motivation for loosing weight, just hoping I will be able to get there.

Give it up! When you get married you will gain weight back in a heart beat.
Air will make you fat! I ain't kidding.:smilie39:

:smilie40:

Chuck W
06-01-2008, 20:33
It is not cheep but if you want to loose weight fairly fast try Medifast. I am on the diet and using the full program of weekly office visits and medical tests. It is working for me. I decided that I wanted to loose 80 plus pounds and had tried to do it on my own with no luck. I am happy with this program. The only problem is that I need another set of new clothing, my two sizes down pants arevfalling off, and my 3x wet suits will need to be replaced before I need a wet suit again. Also I don't think I will need 26 pounds of weight any more on my next dive. This program is not for a few pounds but if you want to really slim down I believe it should help you. It is really helping me. I'll let you know when I reach my goal of 80 plus pounds and how hard it is to maintain that weight. Right now I have no desire to stuff myself and really don't have a problem staying on the diet. The fact that you get one real meal a day ( with restrictions of course) has helped me stick to the diet. And you really do feel better when you have lost the weight.

RoyN
06-01-2008, 21:10
Not worth the money. Tried that green tea with advanta or something that was patent and didn't lose weight or anything. Not worth it. Neither that allis that is FDA approve would work. It makes you go to the bathroom and alot of people gained it all back. Just exercise and diet I guess is the best option.

CamaroChick
06-02-2008, 09:53
By most wieght guides, I'm considered skinny, but there are always those problem areas. For me, its more about toning than actual weight loss. A while back, I tried Ripped Fuel... gave me the shakes, but I did seem to gain more muscle and less fat. I don't think it was good for my body though :smiley11:

As someone said earlier, its about burning more calories than you eat each day. A food diary really helps with this. I also watch the saturated fats. Exercise is key too. If you're like me and don't love going to the gym, try alternate forms of exercise - take walks (esp now that its nice outside), try a dance class, cleaning, yard work, etc. Oh, and carrying around dive gear! :smiley2:

MandieR
06-02-2008, 14:32
According to recent research, MUFAs (mono-unsaturated fatty acids)are supposed to help you lose belly fat specifically.

diver-wife
06-04-2008, 09:50
According to recent research, MUFAs (mono-unsaturated fatty acids)are supposed to help you lose belly fat specifically.
I have to agree with most people, the only way to effectively loose weight is a lifestyle change, burn more calories than you eat. If there was a magic pill, do you know think we all would be praising it?:smiley13:

Martin2
06-04-2008, 12:05
If you find the magic cure, do share. In the meantime, I think most of us will simply have to work on eating in moderation and being as active as possible. That said, there are some medical reasons that can impact your ability to lose weight effectively. It can't hurt to talk to your doctor about checking hormone and thyroid levels, etc. If everything is as it should be, he/she may be able to refer you to a nutritionist or suggest an eating plan that would meet your needs.

diver-wife
06-05-2008, 06:16
If you find the magic cure, do share. In the meantime, I think most of us will simply have to work on eating in moderation and being as active as possible. That said, there are some medical reasons that can impact your ability to lose weight effectively. It can't hurt to talk to your doctor about checking hormone and thyroid levels, etc. If everything is as it should be, he/she may be able to refer you to a nutritionist or suggest an eating plan that would meet your needs.
The thyroid comment is a very good one, a lot of people are diagnosed with hypothyroidism because they try and try to loose weight, with no benefit, especially if you have a family history of it

caroln
06-05-2008, 08:44
The thyroid comment is a very good one, a lot of people are diagnosed with hypothyroidism because they try and try to loose weight, with no benefit, especially if you have a family history of it

I found out I had this because I was getting cold all the time. I thought I was anemic or something, but turns out it was the thyroid. It's easily treatable, and has other serious side effects aside from weight, so if you have any reason to suspect you have it, it's worth getting checked out.

waytooslow
06-05-2008, 10:04

maybe that is what is up, can't seem to budge no matter how much I work out ... how much cardio.. it just stays the same. Will have to go see the doc. Or mabe try the "crack" diet? J/K :smiley2:

Foo2
06-05-2008, 10:44
Will have to go see the doc. Or mabe try the "crack" diet? J/K :smiley2:

The "crack" diet works 100% of the time.

waytooslow
06-05-2008, 11:20
Will have to go see the doc. Or mabe try the "crack" diet? J/K :smiley2:

The "crack" diet works 100% of the time.

Downside is you can end up looking like Amy Winehouse -

The 24-Year-Old Celebrity With The Ravaged Skin - Amy Winehouse Visits Husband With Ragged Face - Entertainment on The Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/02/amy-winehouse-goes-to-see_n_104819.html)

yeeee owwww - my eyes :smiley11:

Foo2
06-05-2008, 11:34
Downside is you can end up looking like Amy Winehouse -

The 24-Year-Old Celebrity With The Ravaged Skin - Amy Winehouse Visits Husband With Ragged Face - Entertainment on The Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/02/amy-winehouse-goes-to-see_n_104819.html)

yeeee owwww - my eyes :smiley11:

Hey, I never said you'd look good. Those pics are so sad. I can't even imagine.

divergirl
06-05-2008, 13:47
Not worth it.

Alternate between cardio and weight lifting, and limit yourself to smaller portions and you'll be set.