PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Dive Rite Venture Wing

wmspdi
06-01-2008, 18:15
I am looking for the older type 30 lbs Dive Rite Venture Wing (the oval style in black color, not the newer triangle shaped version). Please send PM with photos, and your asking price with shipping to Poland, Ohio 44514. Payment would be via PayPal. A well known online scuba store in NY is selling it new for $225 so I am looking to do better than that on a used wing. Thanks for looking.

wmspdi
06-02-2008, 21:38
BTW- A Dive Rite Travel Wing or Travel 360 would work too. The best offer on the table at this time is for a Venture Wing at $180.00 shipped. Anybody able to jump in with a lower price... please PM with price and pictures? Quick payment possible via PayPal. Thanks for looking.

wmspdi
06-11-2008, 22:43
Let's try this again. I was forced to suspend my search earlier this month when my bank account was compromised by an on line purchase. Now that I have my funds available again...

I am looking for the older style 30 lbs Dive Rite Venture Wing (black color) for an aluminum back plate I just picked up. I do NOT want the newer 45 lb wide bottom (triangle shaped) version, red or blue colors, or offers for other brands of wings. I want this to match a Venture wing I already have on a steel back plate.

The Venture Wing must hold air and be in good condition. I am a public safety diver, and will be using this wing when we have to dive in "trash water" to save the "wear and tear" on my newer equipment. Under the circumstances I will not be too concerned if the Venture wing has with a few miles on it.

Also, I have an extra Dive Rite power inflater, so if you your wing happens to have a combo octo/inflater (Rite Source, SS1...) please price it with only the BC hose and not the octo. Due to budget constraints I have to keep it under $170.00 with shipping. Please send PM with photos, and your asking price with shipping to Poland, Ohio 44514. Expect to receive quick payment via PayPal or USPS Money Order as soon as terms are agreed upon. Thanks for looking.

wmspdi
06-30-2008, 18:12
No luck yet, so I am now open to offers for any used 18 to 30 lbs single tank wings. I use an STA so cam band slots are not needed. Send info and pics (if available) to [email protected] .net and thanks in advance.

DallasMarineBio
06-30-2008, 20:51
There was one posted over on decostop recently, you may want to check it out...

wmspdi
06-30-2008, 22:16
There was one posted over on decostop recently, you may want to check it out...

Thanks for the tip. I signed in at Deco Stop and checked it out, but at 45 lbs it was more lift than I was looking for. I already have a DR 51 lbs Rec Wing, and a 30 lbs Venture wing. After doing some lift calculations an 18 lbs wing like the Oxycheq (or 20 lbs DSS) is starting to look like an even better option. The smaller the wing the less drag, and the less likely it is to catch on something.

The search continues...

ReefHound
07-01-2008, 08:24
You don't have to fill the thing completely full of air.

wmspdi
07-01-2008, 09:00
True, but I like my tacos on a dinner plate, not a back plate. The smaller the wing the less taco effect, the less wing sticking out to get caught on wrecks, swim throughs, rebar and other junk in the water. A smaller wing also causes less drag. The smaller bladder makes the air bubble easier to manage.

With a single steel E7 100 cf I am never more than 8 pounds negative (the 7 lbs swing weight of the air in my tank, plus one extra pound of lead to help on the safety stop). Even adding 10 lbs for "head weight" I still only need about 18 lbs of lift to float me in the gear on the surface at the beginning of the dive, and only 12 lbs at the end of the dive with 500 psi left.

If I shed my gear (with a full tank of air) I only need 14 lbs of lift to float my rig at the surface and I don't use weight integration. So my question would be why do I need more than 18 to 30 pounds of lift for recreational or PSD diving? Less if more.

ReefHound
07-01-2008, 09:36
I understand and agree with the concepts, I just think you're "over inflating" the problem of snagging and dragging.

wmspdi
07-01-2008, 10:16
Maybe so, but I am looking for the most streamlined profile I can get. Where we have to dive there is just too much rebar and sharp junk to cut and/or spear a wing or dry suit.

I like my old Dive Rite 30 lbs Venture wing, but I am not a fan of their new 45 lbs Venture 360. Way too wide at the base for me. If I could afford it I would go with a 30 lbs Oxycheq Mach V Extreme. However my budget, and the availabilty of used wings within my price range will tend dictate this purchase.

ReefHound
07-01-2008, 10:44
Maybe so, but I am looking for the most streamlined profile I can get. Where we have to dive there is just too much rebar and sharp junk to cut and/or spear a wing or dry suit.

You have to use the equipment that makes you most comfortable and safe. If the risk of puncture is that great your dive plan has to incorporate it happening. Anything that would cut a 45# wing would be within an inch or so of your 30# wing (I also own and like the DR Venture 30#). Only a matter of time. Bigger threat is the drysuit. You're using a neoprene drysuit, right?

Maybe it's too perilous to dive at all?

wmspdi
07-01-2008, 11:13
I sold my 6mm neo drysuit when I went to a tri-lam. I don't use the drysuit for PSD dives anymore unless it's an ICE dive. I went back to a 6.5mm wet suit and kevlar gloves at the suggestion of my dive team commander. On our last dive I put a few nice scratches in my tank very close to my Venture wing. Had it been an inch closer the wing might have been history. Average visibilty was 6" to 2 feet. When you have to pull up eveidence, or a body, you do whatever it takes.

wmspdi
07-01-2008, 11:15
BTW- if we keep this thread going long enough I'll hit my 250 posts mark and be able to by a new wing with my $50 gift certificate :)