PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my cert!

matt151617
06-01-2008, 19:58
Picked up my SDI cert today! Up at Hearthstone Point, Lake George, NY. Did one dive yesterday, to 32 feet. Had to abort the second dive at 10ft because my ears wouldn't clear. Today, we did 4 dives... 3 to 32 feet to practice skills. Then we did one dive to 55 feet, but had to come back up after someone panicked and inflated their BC full at about 35 feet near the back of the group. Went down again to about 40 feet, and swam around a submerged airplane and station wagon placed there. Water temp was 58 degrees; at 50 feet it was 46. Got pretty cold, but only when we were standing still waiting for other people. I'm glad to be ready to go out and dive on boats and stuff now!

reeldive
06-01-2008, 20:09
Welcome and Congates!

Ryanh1801
06-01-2008, 20:09
Congrates!!!!

rawalker
06-01-2008, 20:16
Congrats
I see your located in Saratoga Springs. My brother-in-law grew up there.
My sister her husband and their 3 kids now live in Burnt Hills.
I sent the kids snorkel gear last Christmas and my eldest niece wants to learn to dive. Her father said that he will take OW training with her so hopefully they'll be joining your upstate diving community soon also. I'm looking forward to them joining my wife and I on vacations and when they visit for some dives.

fisheater
06-01-2008, 21:40
Right on!

If you're willing to dive in cold water, you're going to be a great diver. You'll keep on diving and keep getting better. Then, when you finally go on vacation to a tropical spot, you'll be a scuba god!

Keep it up and welcome!

mselizann
06-02-2008, 08:26
Congratulations!

scootermcfly
06-02-2008, 08:28
Congrats on your Cert...I did my check outs about a year ago at the same spot. My brother and I dove at that spot about 3 weeks ago and the water was exciting(Damn Cold). Did you see the plane? I hear there is a car south of the beach somewhere but its deep.

Capt Hook
06-02-2008, 08:50
Congrats

Empacher
06-02-2008, 08:56
Is the airplane in Lake George? or is it a quarry?

DiveSooner
06-02-2008, 10:46
We got another one pulled to the darkside gang!

Keep on trucking Matt.

JillianAnnO
06-02-2008, 10:55
Good for you!!! I rec'd my open water yesterday and can't wait to get wet again!!
P.S. OU RULES!

matt151617
06-02-2008, 11:56
Plane is in Lake George. They placed it their on purpose, it's at about 25 feet. Same with the car, it's in about 55 feet. I saw the plane about 3 times, and he took us to the car once.

The only downside of the whole dive was the silt on the bottom, it was awful. One low fin, and the visibility went to about 3 feet at best. The majority of the dives were in such bad visibility you had to grip a d-ring on your buddy's BC so you didn't loose them, and put your face right on the fin of the person in front of you. So we did see the car, but with the water at 46 degrees down there, the visibility crap, being on the borderline of hitting our max depth (which you fail the dive if you hit 61 feet), and having someone panic and bolt to the surface, we only stayed there for about 20 seconds.

skdvr
06-02-2008, 14:58
Congrats on your cert. Welcome to the crazy scuba world...

Phil

scootermcfly
06-02-2008, 20:57
Plane is in Lake George. They placed it their on purpose, it's at about 25 feet. Same with the car, it's in about 55 feet. I saw the plane about 3 times, and he took us to the car once.

The only downside of the whole dive was the silt on the bottom, it was awful. One low fin, and the visibility went to about 3 feet at best. The majority of the dives were in such bad visibility you had to grip a d-ring on your buddy's BC so you didn't loose them, and put your face right on the fin of the person in front of you. So we did see the car, but with the water at 46 degrees down there, the visibility crap, being on the borderline of hitting our max depth (which you fail the dive if you hit 61 feet), and having someone panic and bolt to the surface, we only stayed there for about 20 seconds.

So, could you help me find the car? I have heard its there but never seen it. I heard the car is south of the beach....any information would be great as we are headed up again soon.

matt151617
06-03-2008, 12:39
So, could you help me find the car? I have heard its there but never seen it. I heard the car is south of the beach....any information would be great as we are headed up again soon.

Look for the wall. It's right near that. It is south of the beach... I'm not sure how far or where really. Like I said, there was so much silt and the visibility was so poor, it was hard to tell where we were. I basically just followed the instructor.

What I can remember is that it was in 50-55 feet of water. If you head out from the beach, descend to about 50 feet, and head south, you should run in to it. It's not very exciting though. And it's the same color as the bottom. Plus, the thermocline is at about 50 feet, so you'll hit 46 degree water, and probably not want to stay in it long unless you have a drysuit. The problem I had with the water being that cold was my foot cramping.

Black-Gorrilla
06-03-2008, 13:36
congrats on your cert.
Dive Safe

scubasamurai
06-03-2008, 14:11
congrads and welcome to the family, now the fun really begins . enjoy!

jtkkym
06-03-2008, 14:43
Congratulations!:smiley32:

scootermcfly
06-04-2008, 08:33

Look for the wall. It's right near that. It is south of the beach... I'm not sure how far or where really. Like I said, there was so much silt and the visibility was so poor, it was hard to tell where we were. I basically just followed the instructor.

What I can remember is that it was in 50-55 feet of water. If you head out from the beach, descend to about 50 feet, and head south, you should run in to it. It's not very exciting though. And it's the same color as the bottom. Plus, the thermocline is at about 50 feet, so you'll hit 46 degree water, and probably not want to stay in it long unless you have a drysuit. The problem I had with the water being that cold was my foot cramping.

Thanks for the Info-We are headed up this weekend. I guess I will head south out of the beach and see what I can find. I have heard the car was out there since last summer but have not been able to find it...I guess one of the dive schools runs a Recovery Class every so often and moves it with life bags.

matt151617
06-04-2008, 15:46
Thanks for the Info-We are headed up this weekend. I guess I will head south out of the beach and see what I can find. I have heard the car was out there since last summer but have not been able to find it...I guess one of the dive schools runs a Recovery Class every so often and moves it with life bags.

That would explain a lot then, lol. Good luck. I know one of the divemasters wanted to find it before we went out and couldn't. Have fun, the water's cold!