PDA

View Full Version : cooking in alu foil

Karletto
06-02-2008, 05:03
i eat fish probably more frequently than beef/ pork meat; a tip i read from cooking books long time ago that i use most of the times

a) clean the fish;
b) in the belly put some table salt, pieces of tomatoes, parsley, rosmarin, garlic;
c) prepare alu foil so big that u can wrap the whole fish in it + some things ull read ahead;
d) pour some olive oil on the foil; spread it around the foil with the fish;
e) put some more table salt on the fish skin (both sides)
-> the fish is prepared and laying on the foil (cut the tail if u want)
f) pour white wine on the fish; drink white wine; btw: beer is not advisable not even on grill not even for beef/ pork meat for that matter!
g) put pieces of pattatoes, some more tomatoes, rosmarin around the fish
h) wrap the whole thing nice and tight
-> i cook it in the microwave* for 15, 20 min with normal heating option thing; at the end also check for pattatoes if thayr cooked to eat
bone apetit

i) of course with fish a white wine is a must -> dry or semi-sweet (!); the glasses for white wine are more closed than the glasses for red wine (so closed that u cant put your nose in it) couse when u shake the red wines fragrances became more smellable

*the grill is the best

mselizann
06-02-2008, 06:43
I'm guessing when you cook it in the microwave you use plastic wrap instead of foil?

Karletto
06-02-2008, 10:19
I'm guessing when you cook it in the microwave you use plastic wrap instead of foil?
i use aluminium foil also in the microwave:smiley20:
ive tried to put plastics in the microwave -> an alu cup with plastic handles -> platic hanles began to melt and the smell was :smiley11:

mwhities
06-02-2008, 10:21
Must be new style of microwaves. The last time I put aluminum foil in the microwave, I saw a pretty light show.

Karletto
06-02-2008, 10:45
thats why u have to do it when the owner is not there (>)) hihi

texdiveguy
06-02-2008, 12:07
Camp fire reduced to glowing coals and several 'silver turtles' filled with your choice of meat/s-veggies-spices.....can't get much easier or better. :)

terrillja
06-02-2008, 12:23
i) of course with fish a white wine is a must -> dry or semi-sweet (!); the glasses for white wine are more closed than the glasses for red wine (so closed that u cant put your nose in it) couse when u shake the red wines fragrances became more smellable

Generally yes, the white wine glasses are more closed at the top, as well as being more narrow, since most white wines don't need as much aeration as reds. However, there are some white wines which benefit from aeration, and are improved with glasses which are much more wide and open. Riedel makes it easier, since they make varietal and even region specific glasses by varietal. It is fun if you have access to many different types of glasses, pour a small amount of wine into 8 or 10 different glasses and see how the glasses affect the wine.

rawalker
06-02-2008, 13:18
I've done fish and veggies in aluminum foil on the grill many times nothing fancy just fish filet and the veggies plopped with spices in the middle of a sheet and wrapped like a giant Herseys kiss. 15 minutes and they're done.

mike_s
06-02-2008, 13:45
Fresh caught trout... gut and de-head and put entire rest of fish in foil. add a scoop of butter and salt and pepper. cook on the grill 7 minutes a side. Very good.

Of course don't forget the Hobo Dinner. Hamburger meat or other beef, ptotatoes, onions, carrots, etc. salt/pepper. cook over hot coals.

Splitlip
06-02-2008, 17:22
When the Pompano are out.

3 tbs butter
3 shallots minced
1/2 pound mushrooms minced (your choice, mix it up)
4 5 or 6 oz pompano filets
4 large mushrooms sliced
salt and pepper to taste

melt butter in skillet and saute mushrooms and shallots until tender and dry

cut 4 sheets of aluminum foil about twice the size of each filet and place a filet on each (oil the foil so fish won't stick)
salt and pepper to taste
distribute the mushroom/shallot mixture on each and place sliced mushrooms on top
fold foil like envelopes with fish inside
place on hot grill in single layer and cook for 10 or 15 minutes
serve
(you will need to check a packet occasionaly while cooking until done)

thor
06-03-2008, 16:51
Better than foil is to use parchment paper. It doesn't burn, if you cook on indirect heat on the grill. I like the taste better.

Also, Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's