PDA

View Full Version : how often do u clean your gear?

Karletto
06-02-2008, 05:46
how often do u clean your gear for example when ur on holidays and planing to dive every day? by cleaning i mean clean it with fresh water if ur salt water diver

WV Diver
06-02-2008, 05:54
Everything gets a freshwater soaking and cleaning after a day of saltwater diving. Even if sometimes it is just a soak in the tank for a few minutes before hanging it out for the next dive.

mselizann
06-02-2008, 06:31
I am a fresh water diver- and my equipment still gets cleaned after every dive

oddbod
06-02-2008, 06:35
Should read at the end of every day

Geoff_T
06-02-2008, 07:09
If im in salt water or a limestone quarry or mud hole everything gets a soaking. If I am in a spring like Ginnie than I may get lazy and not rinse.

comet24
06-02-2008, 07:13
Depends on the diving. If I am on a charter and getting off at the end of the day the gear hits the rinse tank. If I hit a local quarry with no facilities for the weekend then it get dunked when I get home. On a recent live aboard trip the gear didn't get rinsed until the last day of the trip. Although I would stand under a fresh water shower after each dive with my wetsuit on so it got a quick rinse.

scootermcfly
06-02-2008, 07:24
As soon as I get home I get the hose out and rinse everything. Most of my diving is fresh water and a shot with the hose keeps everything looking and smelling pretty good.

mm_dm
06-02-2008, 07:37
My gear gets cleaned after a day of use. Most of it has too many miles on it to let it sit. Down here, in this heat, it doesn't take long for it to get funky.

Zenagirl
06-02-2008, 07:42
Everything typically gets at least dunked in fresh water after each dive (or two in the case of a charter). Only exception would be on a liveaboard where everything stays set up on the tank. Then BC/regs aren't rinsed until the end of the trip, but everything else gets a daily rinse (computer, torches, wetsuit....).

When we get home from a trip (since we travel to dive), everything gets a major soak and cleaning.

buddhasummer
06-02-2008, 09:11
quick rinse if diving consecutive days and big soak and rinse if not gonna be used for more than a week.

mitsuguy
06-02-2008, 09:34
Cleaned once a week - I'll typically dive thursday nights and sundays... thursday is clear spring water, so I leave stuff wet until sunday (except the wetsuit), then clean everything sunday afternoon...

fisheater
06-02-2008, 09:41
I put my reg (with Octo-Z and computer), mask, snorkel, gloves and booties in a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water. I put my camera, strobe & tray in another bucket. Pop seals on both buckets and give them a good soak (and swish) on the way home.

Once there, I use my Stanley rolling tool/dive box as a rinse bucket. I rinse my fins, BCD and wetsuit, giving the later a good soak. After hosing off the stuff from my bucket, I use the hose on my Zeagle BX-style connector to flush the inside of my air bladder.

DiveSooner
06-02-2008, 09:51
I try to clean mine after everydive, good rinse. Once home, a good thorough cleaning, scrub, check-out and sometimes a parts breakdown and vinegar splash to get the build up off.

I think of the gear as my livelihood while diving, if it fails, it could cost you your life. Besides, it costs alot of money to replace.

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 11:02
Clean it after every dive.

in_cavediver
06-02-2008, 11:04
I clean my gear as often as possible in fresh clear spring water. Usually an hour or two immersion at depth just to be safe. The only problem is the nice fresh springs are 900 miles away! Still, a good excuse for a dive trip.

For most fresh water diving, a cursory rinse is all I give it. For Salt - after each dive day if I can't keep it wet. If it can stay wet, I just hit the sensitive parts to guard agaist any salt crystals forming. (BC bladder, 2nd stages, Inflators and the like.

gthomas
06-02-2008, 11:15
When we travel it get rinsed after every dive and maybe sprayed with a cleaner.:smiley11: When we get home it gets a really good cleaning.

moosicman
06-02-2008, 11:26
I'm glad to know so many are disciplined to clean their stuff!

caroln
06-02-2008, 12:36
I clean my stuff after every weekend at the quarry--generally if I'm diving Saturday, the wetsuit gets hung up, but the regs and bp/w stay attached to the tanks til Sunday night. On a salt water dive, the stuff gets rinsed at the end of the dive day. In FL it doesn't get rinsed at all except the wetsuit since the spring water is probably as clean as it gets.

rawalker
06-02-2008, 13:14
Fresh or salt water doesn't matter my stuff gets a solid soak and rinse down after evry days use.

cummings66
06-02-2008, 15:26
I clean my gear at the end of a day. Fresh water has silt in it, and I've had a freeflow caused by silt buildup when I didn't clean it immediately.

Ryanh1801
06-02-2008, 15:53
After every dive. I spent to much money on this stuff, not to do it.

CFDAlden
06-03-2008, 01:34
I throw my gear in our jacizzi tub, let it soak, then hang it to dry. Works great! :)

Shark girl
06-03-2008, 04:20
It always gets at least a rinse, unless I'm saying somewhere where there is no fresh water for washing! If all else fails it comes in the shower with me.

imasinker
06-03-2008, 17:55
I dive all fresh water but I still clean my gear when I am finished diving for the day with no hesitation.

DUnder
06-11-2008, 11:41
I usally do weekend dive trips, so I clean my gear when I am done for the weekend. I am only diving fresh water at this time.

CompuDude
06-11-2008, 12:42
I only dive salt water.

I should be better, but I tend to clean my gear only if I'm done diving for a couple of days, else it just stays wet. Obviously, if I managed to get in something yucky (red tide, etc) I'll clean it sooner, but generally, if I'm heading right back out the next day I don't clean it until I'm done. I'll usually grab my regs and bring them in, but I've let that slip on occasion, too. I do always bring in my camera housing and my canister light to rinse, however, as I can't risk a camera flood and don't want to risk rust on my canister latches.

Once I'm done diving for a couple of days, though, everything gets washed thoroughly, and regs and camera housing both get an overnight soak in fresh water in the sink.

Lone Frogman
06-11-2008, 13:01
At the end of every diving day.

Charles R
06-11-2008, 13:59
Well not exactly every dive. But every dive day, After a day of diving especially in salt water.:smiley20:

Martin2
06-11-2008, 14:58
Every day. Probably not after every dive (let's not go crazy, shall we), but at the end of every dive day without fail.

brandon
06-11-2008, 15:35
When diving locally, I thoroughly rinse my gear after every dive, or at the end of the day if doing multiple dives. Hood, Mask, lights, pocket items, knives, regulator, etc., all get soaked in a sink full of warm water, I hose the rest off.

When on vacation and doing 4-5 dives a day, I rinse it the best I can with the facilities available after each dive. Not usually able to rinse as thoroughly as I do at home - sometimes its just throwing the gear in the hotel shower and turning it on. Goal is to keep the sand and salt off the best I can.

I do more detailed cleaning every few months - I'm noticing that my BC inflator is an area that is getting neglected in normal rinsing, and I'm needing to disassemble it every few months or so, rinse it out, spray some silicone lube on it, then its good as new.

-B

dive10killer
06-11-2008, 16:17
I take the old waterhose to my gear after every days diving.

Aussie
06-19-2008, 17:58
Everything typically gets at least dunked in fresh water after each dive (or two in the case of a charter). Only exception would be on a liveaboard where everything stays set up on the tank. Then BC/regs aren't rinsed until the end of the trip, but everything else gets a daily rinse (computer, torches, wetsuit....).

When we get home from a trip (since we travel to dive), everything gets a major soak and cleaning.

Same as Zenagirl

Aussie

character157
07-03-2008, 07:44
Like most its done after every dive....just seems like a good idea.

Grizbear98
07-03-2008, 07:46
I'm usually pretty good with cleaning mine after every dive, my gear are my babies

navyhmc
07-03-2008, 07:57
After each dive weekend. Usually when I'm at work and not running calls. Takes about an hour all told and then it's just waiting for stuff to dry.