PDA

View Full Version : Aeris & Oceanic

sid101
06-02-2008, 09:18
Excuse my ignorance my friends but could anyone tell me whats the relation between Aeris and Oceanic? because there is no denying that they either are the same peopel or one owns the other one their gear is just too alike and sometimes exactly the same.

Thank you all.

mitsuguy
06-02-2008, 09:41
At least their computers, including the Sherwood's as well, are made by Pelagic Pressure Systems...

Also, have you been to their websites? They are 98% identical...

to quote Larry:
"...........- yes, oceanic and aeris are the same company... sorta... There is actually a large number of companies that are all kind of inter mingled and related to each other... oceanic, aeris, romi, pelagic, hollis, and on and on.... Oceanic and Aeris computers are really the same - as are the sherwoods - all come from the same place.. just some slight different foot print, or display differences. Larry"

mitsuguy
06-02-2008, 09:50
and here's an old post from someone internal at Oceanic:

"American Underwater Products is our parent company for all the various companies. These include: AERIS, Oceanic, Pelagic Pressure Systems (our gauge and computer division), Romi (machine shop company), 2002 Design (our engineering division). HIL (Hollis Industries Limited, manufacturing facility) and finally Hollis Gear our new tech line. One of the things I like best about representing our brands is that we are truely the builder of our own products and our engineering group is on the cutting edge of new technology.

Our various manufacturing companies including HIL and Pelagic manufacture products for a good many companies including of course AERIS and Oceanic. We are tasked as reps to keep seperation between the two product lines and look at is as healthy competition. There are differences in some of the BC's, regs and in the immediate future you will see more and more product differentiation between the two companies. While we have hundreds upon hundreds of retailers that carry either Oceanic or AERIS, in fact, less than 50 total carry both product lines. In years past the regs were completely unique and we need to approach warranty service seperately. Same corporation, different company with similar yet unique products. For instance Hollis Gear was developed from the ground up to satisfy the needs of the true tech diver. Which oddly enough Bob Hollis, owner of America Underwater actually made his name as one of the original tech divers diving and filming the Andria Doria.

Hope this answers some questions.

Darryl Bowerman
Oceanic-AERIS-Hollis"

sid101
06-02-2008, 13:40
Wow that answers a lot, what i actually would liek to knwo now that i kno wthey are all the same peopel is wich oen is doing what? let me put it lije this sometimes a company is taken apart into two divisions (aeris & oceanic) one makes the expensive extremelly high quality stuff and tyhe other the more "value" oriented wich means good quality and good value.. si there any diference between the two of them?

rawalker
06-02-2008, 13:47
Between Oceanic and Aeris they seem to be more alike than different.
The prices and value line up the same. When you look at many of the product there may be just a variation of 1 feature besides graphics sometimes graphics is the complete variation.

mitsuguy
06-02-2008, 20:07
yup, most their products are identical with a different feature here or there, or a different color or look...

Aeris Manta vs Oceanic Geo - identical features, almost identical look, identical MSRP...

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 20:30
Yes they share and/or co-develop a lot of their equipment, like many other cos they seam to do it well others Mares/Dacor have had a tad bit more trouble.