PDA

View Full Version : Mermet Dive Conditions

snagel
06-02-2008, 16:23
Dove Mermet on Sunday (6/1). Don't waste your time. The viz is about 2-3 feet. It does open up a little down deep. Glen said with all the rain the quarry is about a month behind - they are seeing viz that they normally see end of April/first part of May. In addition, he had a mudslide in the back wall; which hasn't helped.

Our dive consisted of going to the 85' platform to test out some new video housings. As I said it opened up to maybe 8-10 feet deeper. In the shallower side, it was pure "muck diving". We followed the lines out to the plane and had to see the new fire truck, but we didn't vary from the lines. I could barely see my dive buddy in front of me on the line. (The best night dive I've had during the day).

The fire truck - it's located between the boxcar and the ambulance. Acutally, it was pretty cool to see (although, I've walked by it many times on the surface). Goes to show a bus in a parking lot is just a bus, put it underwater and it is something to see.

Temps were on the cooler side - upper 50's lower 60's.

We called ahead and was very glad that we dove Penny Royal the day prior.

S. Nagel

harb99
06-02-2008, 20:15
My wife and I ended up just going on Sunday for our Nitrox Cert - classroom and then 2 short dives around 20 to 25 minutes - I agree - visibility is terrible - the rains we have received this spring has the place tore up - not to mention it was cold if you dropped below the thermocline

Last year at this same time, you had 10-15 feet of visibility in the shallow area til it was stirred up and 20-30 (sometimes more) feet below the thermocline and away from the training areas

Right now I would say is was 5 feet at best. Oh well - at least we got wet and are now Nitrox Certified for our upcoming Bonaire trip - tested out the new equipment and everything worked great :)

harb99
06-02-2008, 20:29
forgot to ask - where were you set up at?

by the time we got out of the classroom a lot of people had already packed up - class ran behind since there was one guy late (ended up being a friend of mine that I did not even know was certified) - and then we did not even start suiting up for our first dive until around 2:00 - 2:30

the place really cleared out quick while we were getting ready to dive.

snagel
06-02-2008, 21:06
We were in the 2nd pavillion along the east side close to the office. The side where the deep dive docks are located. We left about 2:00. This is typical on a Sunday when everybody wants to get back home so they can go to work the next day to earn gas money for the next trip. I've got a 6 hour drive.

We just did one dive since the conditions were just horrible (worse I've seen). If conditions were better we probably would have stayed for another dive.

S. Nagel

BuzzF117
06-03-2008, 06:54
More rain coming this week so vis will be hampered in the midwest again. I am going to Gilboa on Sunday hope its a little clear.

harb99
06-03-2008, 08:16
We were in the 2nd pavillion along the east side close to the office. The side where the deep dive docks are located. We left about 2:00. This is typical on a Sunday when everybody wants to get back home so they can go to work the next day to earn gas money for the next trip. I've got a 6 hour drive.

We just did one dive since the conditions were just horrible (worse I've seen). If conditions were better we probably would have stayed for another dive.

S. Nagel

Were you parked where the Y-Kiki truck and an engineering/surveying company truck was parked? or was that right next to you?

it does suck that the vis is so bad - not sure if I will go back over prior to our trip or not - I would like to, but not worth spending the money if the vis stays this bad - plus my dive buddy (wife) will not dive if it stays like it is.

snagel
06-03-2008, 17:34
Yes, we were with Y-kiki and the engineering/surveying truck. We just off loaded and moved the truck. I think there were other cars there.

S. Nagel

harb99
06-03-2008, 22:02
Yes, we were with Y-kiki and the engineering/surveying truck. We just off loaded and moved the truck. I think there were other cars there.

S. Nagel

that is funny - i noticed the surveying/engineering truck right off the bat as that is my profession - i know of Y-kiki b/c I have stopped by there before (have friends in Ballwin) and my neighbor used them to get his classroom/pool dives completed before going to Mexico for his OW dives this past fall.

mm2002
06-04-2008, 18:59
Thanks for the report! We've been thinking of going up there for a dive, but I guess the water is mucked up everywhere. So far, this summer really sucks for diving.