PDA

View Full Version : Check out our New Midwest Dive Condition Pages

snagel
06-02-2008, 16:52
Hey,

Check out our new Midwest Dive Condition Reports Pages hosted by SteveC and myself.

Scuba Steves’ Muck Divers Weblog (http://www.muckdivers.wordpress.com)

I can't take credit for this, my wife put this together (I'm definately not that talented). Not to take anything away from this forum, but thought this would be handy for everybody - so please visit and post updates often. The more it's used the better for everybody.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
06-02-2008, 17:05
Hey snagel!

I commented on the conditions of Oronogo. Thanks for getting the site up and running.

DW

snagel
06-02-2008, 17:10
Thanks, DW...You still doing a lot of training? Haven't heard much out of you in awhile.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
06-02-2008, 17:24
I have gotten a couple new certs, but have been working insane hours at the hospital. I am looking at 3 more certs this summer, but I plan on doing a lot of fun/practice diving. When you feel like heading down my way again?

DW

snagel
06-02-2008, 17:32
I'd like to hit Stockton some time, but with all the rain not sure if it is worth the drive. If it would clear up I'd be down.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
06-02-2008, 17:40
Believe it or not, when the water was so high we got some of the best vis that we have had in months. A bit over 10'. Have not been there since, but we are diving it tomorrow so I will send you an update. If you have a long weekend we could hit Oronogo. It is a little farther, but the vis has been better and you can pick your depth.

DW

snagel
06-02-2008, 18:00
We'll definately have to set something up. I'm busy this weekend and following will be at TR to dive with mm2002 & SteveC. Looking for something after that. Keep me posted when you are heading to Oronogo or Stockton and maybe I can tag along.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
06-02-2008, 18:28
Will do. Sounds good.

DW

ChrisA
06-02-2008, 18:32
Ever see the Steve Martin movie "LA Story". It he plays a TV weather man in Los Angeles who wants to take a vacation so he tapes the weather segments weeks in advance all with the same forcast: "Sunny and warm with highs in the mid 70's". I'm wondering why a "mid west dive conditions" web page couldn't be the same, Just post a fixed page that reads:

Surface conditions: "flat as a lake"
Tides and Currents: "none"
Temperure: "cold"
Aquatic life: "a small fish"

snagel
06-02-2008, 21:14
We can't all live in paradise so we make due with what we have. Fact is, the conditions change week to week and sometimes day to day.

Flat as a lake - You haven't seen the video on the floods at Table Rock have you.

Tides and currents - Again, you haven't seen the video of floods at Table Rock.

Temperature - Actually, it can get quite warm during the summer months above the TC. This time of year a matter of a few degrees means the wetsuit divers can come out of their shell and dive with the dry suit divers.

Aquatic Life - Maybe we don't have sharks and stingrays, but we have a vast amount of aquatic life. A couple weeks ago I was at Haigh and my dive buddy videoed a spoonbill. I was amazed at how many people posted that couldn't identify the fish. These are awesome fish - maybe not a shark, but awesome none the less.

I would say Midwest Diving may not have all the glory as those in the ocean, but we make due and we have fun. It's definately not the same dive over and over.

S. Nagel

Soonerwink
06-02-2008, 21:19
Thanks snagel, I will check it anytime I am headed to Beaver or Oronogo. I will post about Beaver conditions at the Bluffs after Sat. Any chance of getting Tenkiller added to your page?

SteveC
06-02-2008, 22:00
Sure thing. We want as many dive locations as possible, and we want them updated as often as possible. Especially the vis. It’s hard to find up to date vis reports, even for the pay quarries. Even the better run quarries are notorious for posting reports that are over a month old. If we all post a quick report every time we get back from a dive, it will help us all have better dive trips. Like Steve Nagel just mentioned, if we hadn’t found out about the vis at Penny Royal we sure would have had a disappointing weekend. So lets all get together and try to keep some good, current dive conditions for as many Midwest locations as we can.

Soonerwink
06-03-2008, 09:42
Thanks, that was quick.

Bill1979
06-03-2008, 10:40
Thanks Snagel, this is a great idea.

plot
06-04-2008, 21:09
which one of you guys uses advent. sports?

SteveC
06-04-2008, 22:36
which one of you guys uses advent. sports?

I have not used them. I'm in the St. louis area.

snagel
06-05-2008, 18:16
I haven't used them, but heard a lot of good things about them.

S. Nagel

snagel
06-05-2008, 18:20
We are starting to learn a lot about this web page thing (thanks to my wife - I think she is actually getting a kick out of watching us struggle through this - it's second nature to her). Hope everybody is enjoying the pages and that it will become very useful. We are adding dive sites as they are requested.

Also, if you have any web page links that would be beneficial, let me know and I'll add them. I threw a couple up, but I'm sure there are others.

S. Nagel