PDA

View Full Version : Princenton Tec Shockwave II

USF_Diver
06-02-2008, 18:35
Looking for my first dive light, would mostly use for ocean night dives in good vis water. I know LED is better but this does have over 200 lumens
and is only 59.00 seems like a good deal? Anybody have this light? Whats your take on the light?

texdiveguy
06-02-2008, 18:45
I have one....its a great hand held light....allot of bang for the buck!

CORRECTION: mine is the LED version. But the light you ref. is still a nice unit.....go with the 8 cell verse the smaller 4 cell.....and get an LED!

DOWNDEEP73
06-02-2008, 18:51
I have one as well.
It is a really good light for the money!

rawalker
06-02-2008, 19:02
If you figure in what batteries are going to cost you then The Miniwav LED is going to break even for you after a few sets of batteries.
instead of burning 8 cells you'll only burn 4 at a time. You get to carry less weight in batteries and a smaller light with the same light output as the 8 cell LED and better battery life than the 8 cell incandesent.

terrillja
06-02-2008, 19:06
How about this: I'll sell you my PT shockwave LED for $60+ shipping. I don't use it anymore, works fine. If you want pics, pm me.

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 20:42
Good light but you'll have to carry a ton of batteries.

USF_Diver
06-02-2008, 21:15
Thanks guys for the info, might have to look into the LED version cause batteries aren't all that cheap.

firstdive2005
06-02-2008, 23:51
hi I have two. They are both rechargeable. I use them all the time. Make sure you set the lock when transporting from the dive site. I lent one to a friend and I forgot to tell him, it turn on while returning to the hotel. The heat from the bulb created a tear drop on the plastic lense. I am still trying to find a new lense. Princeton still has not returned my emails as to where I can buy a new cap. but it is a great light.

buddhasummer
06-03-2008, 21:16
Or, and no I dont have shares in the company ha ha, but what about the Oxycheq raider, $60, LED, apparently bright as hell, small, 3xAA batterys, lots of good reviews, there is one on TDS forum titled "Oxycheq 3W LED Backup Light" check it out although there is a lot of "so do you wanna be in my gang" stuff going on theres still some good info. Looks like a nice light for the price. I imagine the beam angle would be narrower than the Shockwave so brightness aside the Shockwave may "light up" a bigger area, Im not sure about that tho. But either way Id def go LED generally more robust and generally longer running times. I own two LEDs and like them alot. Goodluck.

mitsuguy
06-03-2008, 21:24
the oxycheq is a great, bright little light... it is noticeable, but not significantly brighter than the LED Princeton Tec's... it's beam is about 1/3 the size of the Princeteon Tec's... I personally think the Miniwave LED's are the way to go for a pistol grip primary light... 4 c cells that will last longer than 8 cells in the standard, non-led light, brighter as well, and just as bright as the 8 cell led princeton tec...

USF_Diver
06-03-2008, 21:40
the oxycheq is a great, bright little light... it is noticeable, but not significantly brighter than the LED Princeton Tec's... it's beam is about 1/3 the size of the Princeteon Tec's... I personally think the Miniwave LED's are the way to go for a pistol grip primary light... 4 c cells that will last longer than 8 cells in the standard, non-led light, brighter as well, and just as bright as the 8 cell led princeton tec...

Thanks I saw a video of the oxycheq in another thread, very impressive light output.

mike_s
06-03-2008, 22:56
I've got one and it works great. It's not that bad on batteries. Did a liveaboard last year where I did an hour long dive every night on the boat except one. (6 night dives). The batteries never ran out, and they were several years old when I started.

it does use 8 batteries, but so does the Shockwave LED. Don't know how it is compared to the others that use 4, but I've never done a comparison on battery cost. but C cell batteries aren't cheap, but unless you do a ton of night diving it shouldn't be a big issue either way.

If this helps any, from another site/vendor is a pic that is a comparison of the Shockwave II and the Shockwave LED (8 C cell).

they are both fairly similar in brightness, but it appears the LED has a slight advantage. but the old one is still pretty good.
http://66.216.117.27/v/vspfiles/assets/images/lightcomparison2.jpg

rawalker
06-04-2008, 01:54
It's already been stated that the 4 cell Miniwav LED is every bit as bright as the 8 cell Shockwave LED. It's also been noted that both the Shockwave and Miniwav LED versions are brighter than the non-LED versions.
As for battery cost C cells and D cell sell for the same price everywhere I've ever shopped and the same can be said for NiCd or NiMh rechargeable batteries. so the savings in using the 4c lite is the cost of 4 cells

mike_s
06-04-2008, 17:22
Divers Direct has the three-light package on sale for $79 bucks. Not a bad deal for all three lights.

*Shockwave II
*Torrent
*Eco Flare locator light

Divers Direct - Summer iCatalog page 24 (http://www.diversdirect.com/srng08/0024.asp)

dive10killer
06-10-2008, 17:48
I had one but sold it for the led version

Wetnurse28
06-11-2008, 02:52
Basically what I'm getting out of this thread is that most any Dive light will work fine as long as it is an LED.

mitsuguy
06-11-2008, 08:11
Basically what I'm getting out of this thread is that most any Dive light will work fine as long as it is an LED.

for the most part, the led designs are all very rugged and bright, with good battery life... yes...

mike_s
06-11-2008, 10:04

Either will work fine. LED or regular bulb.

The LED's just might be a little brighter (depending on the light design and batteries used) and will have a longer battery life. But they cost slightly more at this time. That over time will come down.

USF_Diver
06-11-2008, 10:31
I went with with the Tusa LED light, another light I ordered for less was out of stock I got a free upgrade thanks ST :)
Will dive with it on friday, will let people know how it works out.