PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Diving

junzhang
06-02-2008, 18:36
hey i am just new to the scuba world but I think there should be a thread for Adelaide diving...

Not having been diving yet, just waiting you guys to fill in your favorite diving destinations..

Largo
06-02-2008, 20:47
You're from Adelaide?

Do you know Melissa Cooney?

chinacat46
06-02-2008, 21:36
Is that the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Cooney? I think I might have met her.

junzhang
06-10-2008, 09:41
You're from Adelaide?

Do you know Melissa Cooney?

yes I am in adelaide. but may be I am too new to scuba to know her yet

TheAlchemist
07-20-2008, 11:49
Port Noarlunga Reef reef is one of my favorite dives in Adelaide.... If you feel like venturing out a bit further, Rapid Bay and Second Valley are great dives, they are down south.

If you want a really good dive head to Edithburgh. That's where I learn't to dive and I think it is one of the best dives in SA.

Whyalla is also good, but I have only dived there during Cuttlefish Breading season.
Then you have basically, the entire York Peninsula, there are some great spots around there.

TheAlchemist

Reg
07-21-2008, 06:58
There is movie called the Brainy Bunch that i think was partly filmed in SA during cuttlefish breading time. They are amazing creatures. Need to visit sometime when the breading season is on.

Doesn't SA have some freshwater dives locations as well?

TheAlchemist
07-21-2008, 07:03
There is movie called the Brainy Bunch that i think was partly filmed in SA during cuttlefish breading time. They are amazing creatures. Need to visit sometime when the breading season is on.

Doesn't SA have some freshwater dives locations as well?

Ewan Ponds and Piccaninnie ponds are both around Mount Gambier, SA....

TheAlchemist

junzhang
07-25-2008, 01:02
Port Noarlunga Reef reef is one of my favorite dives in Adelaide.... If you feel like venturing out a bit further, Rapid Bay and Second Valley are great dives, they are down south.

If you want a really good dive head to Edithburgh. That's where I learn't to dive and I think it is one of the best dives in SA.

Whyalla is also good, but I have only dived there during Cuttlefish Breading season.
Then you have basically, the entire York Peninsula, there are some great spots around there.

TheAlchemist

Cheers mate. for watching the giant cuttlefishes in whyalla, can it be easily done by snorkeling as well?

TheAlchemist
07-26-2008, 19:49

TheAlchemist

Cheers mate. for watching the giant cuttlefishes in whyalla, can it be easily done by snorkeling as well?

Yea, if you go out to Fitzgerald Bay and False Bay around Whyalla it is about 2-5 Metres in depth, sometimes deeper if you go out further but they are everywhere.

www.whyallacuttlefish.com (http://www.whyallacuttlefish.com)
It isn't all that much information, but it is helpful.

TheAlchemist

junzhang
07-31-2008, 18:26

TheAlchemist
Heading to Edithburgh this weekend:smiley20:

junzhang
08-05-2008, 23:57
back from Edithburgh. It was great, had 3 dives in the jetty including a night dive, and had another dive at Wool bay in search of leafy sea dragon, unfortunately didn't find one. All in all, that's great dive experience and I will be there again!

frozenwarp
08-10-2008, 11:11
Gday mate hows the Diving going? I'm a local too i get out pretty much every week. Although i have done some great shore dives around SA i really like hitting the local wreck especially the Hmas Hobart, the Lumb and seawolf. PM if u ever what any help or advice diving in the local area. I do a bit of DM work in one of the LDS and im the involved with the Flinders Uni Dive club so if u ever need help finding a buddy im sure i can help out.

Brad

smokem
10-16-2008, 07:48
i done the EX HMAS Hobart and rapid bay jetty yesterday:smiley20:
an awesome dive could do it plenty more times yet i reckon!!

i also done the Clarris wreck off west beach on sat just gone thats
was good aswell but doesnt compare to the hobart im pretty sure im
going again next weekend with adelaide scuba on brighton road:smiley20:

keldo10
01-04-2009, 20:51
There are so many amazing sites in SA. I am a local to the area and get out as often as possible. We went for a dive at 'the dump' last weekend off of Pt Stanvac - it was pretty good. A few months ago my partner and i did a shore dive off of the Bluff at Victor Harbour, we saw heaps of crayfish, a large leafy seadragon and even a seal! I agree that Edithburgh is a good location to dive.

I am heading up to QLD for 10 days - we are going on a live aboard cat for 3nights - can't wait....