PDA

View Full Version : How deep can a small DC shoot without external flash?

junzhang
06-02-2008, 18:43
It might seem to be a silly question because I have not yet dive.

I guess there will be much less light when you go down, so how deep can a small DC shoot without using the flash (normal daylight condition) and how deep can it go without external flash?

Most small DC housings can go as deep as 40m, but that deep without external flash, can the camera still take photos with correct exposure?

rawalker
06-02-2008, 19:10
That depends on the sensitivity of the cameras sensor.
Cameras with higher ISO numbers can shoot in less light without need for a flash. To get good results without the flash you'll need the right filter lens. Greenwater lens or Bluewater lens

bversteegh
06-02-2008, 20:38
Internal flash isn't really limited by depth; but by distance to subject. Probably not much use beyond 2 to 3 feet; and that far away, very susceptable to backscatter.

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 20:40
Certain colors disappear quickly with out any flash and/or good filters. I have a small reefmaster mini that can take good pictures down through 100' without an external flash. Not as good as some of the better cameras but good enough for snap shots for fun.

Geoff_T
06-02-2008, 22:01
as others here have stated it is more a factor of aprature and ISO. Additionaly your natural vis will factor in greatly. You have much more light at 100' in the keys than you have at 30' in lake Erie. Idealy you should not use the flash at all if you have enough ambiant light.