Oceanic VT3 Computer $960
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo $85
Oceanic FDX10 Delta 4 Demo $450
---------------------------------------
Total $1895
-10%
----------------------------------------
Final Total $1705.50

Questions, Comments, Ideas Welcome! Thanks!

DiverMAN
06-02-2008, 20:17
That's a real nice setup, wouldn't mind having that as my setup...

Splitlip
06-02-2008, 20:19
I am a fan of Zeagle BC's. I wish I knew about the Brigade when I purchased my Stiletto.

I don't think you can go wrong with an Oceanic computer. I have found them dependable, intuitive and the algorythm is pretty friendly.Great customer service.

I have no experience with Oceanic regs.

wood1612
06-02-2008, 20:20
Thanks, I wanted quality gear, and this seemed a good combination for the price.

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 20:23
Great gear wouldn't mind diving with either.

wood1612
06-02-2008, 20:24
I am a fan of Zeagle BC's. I wish I knew about the Brigade when I purchased my Stiletto.

I don't think you can go wrong with an Oceanic computer. I have found them dependable, intuitive and the algorythm is pretty friendly.Great customer service.

I have no experience with Oceanic regs.
I have read great things about Oceanic service, that has helped me choose Oceanic computer and regs.

wood1612
06-02-2008, 20:27
I've been reading the forums for a while and read other divers ideas and thoughts on gear.

rawalker
06-02-2008, 22:44
That seems like a real good solid kit to me.

mitsuguy
06-03-2008, 08:02
one thing, you are a relatively new diver... it is great you want your own equipment, and the stuff you have picked out is great (and statistically means you will dive more, if you have your own gear) however, before you spend all that money, make sure it is what you want... Not that I wouldn't mind picking up some of it on ebay in a few months for half price, I just don't want you to feel you cheated yourself...

Rainer
06-03-2008, 08:04
Do you really need/want a $1000 computer? That's a big chunk of change that could actually go to diving. Just a thought. Rest looks fine.

buddhasummer
06-03-2008, 08:56
Zeagle Brigade BC $400
Oceanic VT3 Computer $960
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo $85
Oceanic FDX10 Delta 4 Demo $450
---------------------------------------
Total $1895
-10%
----------------------------------------
Final Total $1705.50

Questions, Comments, Ideas Welcome! Thanks!

Although I have no direct experience with Zeagle I have read many good reports, oceanic also have a good reputation. I think perhaps a cheaper computer might be the way to go unless you really have your heart set on it, it is a lot of money to be spending on a single item, you can get great Nitrox comps for much much less but of course they wont be Air Int. The money you could save on the comp you could spend on a great dive light or more diving or a great wetsuit, fins etc etc, just a thought, either way dive it and enjoy it.:smiley20:

No Misses
06-03-2008, 08:59
Do you really need/want a $1000 computer? That's a big chunk of change that could actually go to diving. Just a thought. Rest looks fine.

I do not remember there ever being a time that I was disappointed with going with the top shelf stuff. I have been burned when I tried to go cheap. I usually upgrade at a later date and forfeit the initial cost of the "cheap stuff".

Buying the VT3 right out of the gate is cheaper than buying a $200 DC today - selling it on Ebay 1 year from now for $50, because you are dissatisfied - then finally buying the VT3. IMHO

wood1612
06-03-2008, 09:33
I agree that the computer is a little expensive, however like No Misses said, I would rather pay a little extra to get the best, than go with a $300-$500 computer and want to upgrade later. Also, I have seen the computer being sold w/o transmitter for around $650, so it is only about $75-$150 more than a good air integrated console.
Thanks for the comments.

Rainer
06-03-2008, 09:49
I agree that the computer is a little expensive, however like No Misses said, I would rather pay a little extra to get the best, than go with a $300-$500 computer and want to upgrade later. Also, I have seen the computer being sold w/o transmitter for around $650, so it is only about $75-$150 more than a good air integrated console.
Thanks for the comments.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't think that a/this $1000 computer is "better" than most basic nitrox computers. I don't like air integrated units, so if you're really set on one, then sure, you're going to be spending a good chunk of change. It just adds nothing to my diving and that's a lot of money that can be spent on travel, gear I want, or instruction. For someone with so few dives, you just might want to hold off for a bit on such a large purchase, that's all.

In any case, my computers are always set to gauge mode, so what do I know.

wood1612
06-03-2008, 10:36
Hmm. Going with only the computer would cut the final total down to $1477.80, with an spg and the option to go wireless later.

Rainer
06-03-2008, 11:11
Or go with an SPG and a cheap ($200-300) nitrox computer now. If you REALLY need to go wireless later, just buy all new and sell the old computer. I lost only about 10% on my first computer when I sold it after a year. Wireless certainly isn't necessary, and I don't even consider it a luxury. I wouldn't want it if it were given to me free.

wood1612
06-03-2008, 11:28
Or go with an SPG and a cheap ($200-300) nitrox computer now. If you REALLY need to go wireless later, just buy all new and sell the old computer. I lost only about 10% on my first computer when I sold it after a year. Wireless certainly isn't necessary, and I don't even consider it a luxury. I wouldn't want it if it were given to me free.
To each their own I guess.

DiveSooner
06-03-2008, 12:38
Great gear choices.

If you have the money, get what will give you piece of mind...

Ryanh1801
06-03-2008, 14:53
sounds like a hell of a setup. No tank? I'm also not sure im sold on the whole wireless computer truthfully, I would defiantly want some type of mechanical back up. Enjoy the gear!

LaCroix42
06-03-2008, 15:09

Or, if you're in my situation, you dive with the "lower" comp for awhile, upgrade yours and pass it to the SO for temproary use until they're more comfortable/confident and ready to upgrade their unit.

scubasamurai
06-03-2008, 16:37
i am not a big fan yet of the wireless computer and all. i had some dive buddies with the setup and it works well but sometimes setting their gear up the signal would not be clean and they have to "play with it" to get it working. and they also had a back up spg gauge on their first stage, i thought the wireless was to cut down on hoses and all as well and that defeated the purpose as well. plus if they didn't have at least a redunted pressure gauge , signal failure is an automatic end of dive situation

food for thought you might as welll wait till you hit 250 and get some more money off if they are still doing it!! got my dive rite nitek computer for that

Z-naught
06-03-2008, 18:30
All of the manufacturers of the gear you've selected are excellent, but I suggest you try out all of the items you listed before buying them. Also, I recommend that you dive a backplate/wing setup once or twice before you splurge on a stab jacket. You might find a backplate/wing rig more appealing than the Brigade, especially considering the money you would save (self assembled backplate/wing rigs are usually less expensive than top-of-the-line stabjackets). I second the notion that a conventional SPG may be a better choice. Air integrated wireless computers are really nifty, but are they worth the added expense when you can simply look down to check your cylinder pressure? I think it is generally a good idea to buy simple and affordable equipment at first and then slowly add to and/or upgrade your gear as you dive, learning from experience what works for you and what doesn't.

wood1612
06-03-2008, 20:52
I am learning to dive nitrox later this summer, so a computer would be beneficial to me. I'll see if I can get in a dive with a backplate/wing so I can make a final decision. I do know that even if I do go wireless, I will carry a spg and depth gauge with me, so if my computer fails, I can surface and switch out the transmitter and dive with the spg.

rawalker
06-04-2008, 02:10
I bought the VT3 last year for $675 complete
Today I purchase The Delta 4 FDX10 for $390 new not Demo

This was from a LDS that does have a website with equipment sales.
The reg is $480 on their website, $460 in their store and the computer is $900 sometimes it pays to walk in say hello and ask what is the best you can do for me on that.

wood1612
06-04-2008, 23:53

The reg is $480 on their website, $460 in their store and the computer is $900 sometimes it pays to walk in say hello and ask what is the best you can do for me on that.
Thanks for the info on the reg and computer, here in San Antonio, we don't have an abundance of dive shops. I took your advice and called them, none of them carry either the Delta 4 or the VT3. Hmm... there is now a VT3 on sale here at ST for $775, much better than $960. That brings my total cost down to $1539.00. I haven't even asked yet if I can get a package deal.

rawalker
06-05-2008, 02:02
Another option for a computer is at LP it's the Atom 1.0 for $550 complete with download adapter and transmitter At the very least you could use this deal to leverage another.

mitsuguy
06-05-2008, 02:35
crap, you're in san antonio???

PM me sometime...

-Cody

Thanks for the info on the reg and computer, here in San Antonio, we don't have an abundance of dive shops. I took your advice and called them, none of them carry either the Delta 4 or the VT3. Hmm... there is now a VT3 on sale here at ST for $775, much better than $960. That brings my total cost down to $1539.00. I haven't even asked yet if I can get a package deal.

beluga
06-05-2008, 05:23
I'd get a cheaper nitrox capable, non-air integrated computer instead and spend the difference on mask, fins, wetsuit, smb, flash light, octo holder, spg clip, dive rite shears, compass, etc.

Later you can move the old computer to the BC as backup and put the $1,000 AI on your wrist.

dive10killer
06-10-2008, 18:02
Good gear choices!
Zeagle is very durable.
Oceanic makes excellent equipment.
Go for it!

wood1612
06-10-2008, 18:55
Went for It!
Placed the order in last night! Joe gave me a great deal $1425 total:smiley20:!

Good gear choices!
Zeagle is very durable.
Oceanic makes excellent equipment.
Go for it!