PDA

View Full Version : Bali and The Gili Islands, Lombok

Lethal_OZ
06-02-2008, 21:40
I've just booked a 2 week trip to Bali and the Gili Islands,Lombok for this July. After reading some reviews I don't have high expectations for the diving around the Gili Islands in Lombok but the islands are meant to be great fun. Has anyone dived the Gili Islands?? How would you rate it?

Also heading upto the Amed region for a few days and hope the dive the Liberty wreck. For my other dives, is the diving better around Tulamben or Amed?? Any recommendations who to dive with??

I think I am there around the right time of year to see the large Sun fish. Is this something not to be missed??

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

gbrdiver
06-03-2008, 08:22
The USAT Liberty Glo is a nice easy wreck, no penetration and lots of marine life. Lots of info on other threads I think. The Mola Mola/Sunfish are worth seeing, though like anything the novelty wears off quickly and you are soon paying more attention to whats happening arount the coral. If you're going to Amed soley for diving, you will be disappointed - it has seen better days.

Travelnsj
06-03-2008, 16:28
I've just booked a 2 week trip to Bali and the Gili Islands,Lombok for this July. After reading some reviews I don't have high expectations for the diving around the Gili Islands in Lombok but the islands are meant to be great fun. Has anyone dived the Gili Islands?? How would you rate it?

Also heading upto the Amed region for a few days and hope the dive the Liberty wreck. For my other dives, is the diving better around Tulamben or Amed?? Any recommendations who to dive with??

I think I am there around the right time of year to see the large Sun fish. Is this something not to be missed??

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

The Amed wall is boring and generally the other dive spots are ok in the Amed area....Go 15 minutes in the other direction and spend your time in Tulamben and ask to go down to Monkey reef. I regard the diving in Bali as generally Very Good.

If you have the time go for the Sun Fish...they are kewl....but that water is cold and you generally have to go deep....Last year there were a couple of Sun Fish that were spotted at the Liberty wreck....The day before I got there:smiley19: