PDA

View Full Version : old tank

Rileybri
06-03-2008, 19:45
Is there any way this (http://burlington.craigslist.org/spo/696083403.html) tank will pass inspection and is worth reconditioning?

No Misses
06-03-2008, 19:56
well...at the least, I would want to change that "J" valve for a "K" or Pro DIN. It will most likely be a low pressure cylinder.

Cylinder $75
Valve $40
Hydro $30
VIP $10

You are looking at $150 for a used low pressure cylinder. It's not a great deal in my opinion.

Rileybri
06-03-2008, 19:59
well...at the least, I would want to change that "J" valve for a "K" or Pro DIN. It will most likely be a low pressure cylinder.

Cylinder $75
Valve $40
Hydro $30
VIP $10

You are looking at $150 for a used low pressure cylinder. It's not a great deal in my opinion.

That is exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks

Splitlip
06-03-2008, 20:01
I would buy it for the valve. But not for $75.00. It looks like a steel 72 which might still work. Be better if you could double it though.

So,what no misses said.

mike_s
06-03-2008, 20:48
Is there any way this (http://burlington.craigslist.org/spo/696083403.html) tank will pass inspection and is worth reconditioning?

In my opinion, that tank is worth about $25 bucks. Maybe $40 tops, if the valve doesn't leak and there is no rust inside it.

Most J' valves are usually ok. but some people don't prefer them.

I've bought a couple steel 72's with J valves. got them hydro'd, add a vis, and an airfill. Then found one of them empty. Figured it was me accidentally leaving the valve open. Filled it again (another $5 bucks). A few days later it was empty again. New valve, $45 bucks. Another airfill (3rd one for a tank not used), additional $5 bucks.

The other steel 72, got it filled, went diving, noticed 'tiny bubbles' coming off the valve (not first stage). Didn't even bother refilling it several times, new valve, another $45 bucks.

This was close to 10 years ago. for all the hassle I went through I really didn't save any money over the cost then on an AL80.

Offer the guy $25 bucks for the tank.... otherwise I'd walk.

skdvr
06-03-2008, 21:12
someone near me just sold 4 of these tanks for $20 each... I just missed out on picking them up by about 15 min. There is a post about them on scubaboard here (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/236654-old-steel-tanks.html). I personally would not pay more than $25 for them, just because of all the other stuff you are going to have to pay for (Hydro, Vis, Valve) it all starts to add up... Plus I have heard that the painted ones where much more prone to corrosion.

Phil

Crimediver
06-03-2008, 21:25
If it is not rusty inside I am sure it will pass hydro. Looks to me as if the valve is a 1/2" tapered valve. If stored with air it should be OK. The backpack is worth a little bit to a vintage diving collector. I have one that is similar. The bouyancy characteristics of a steel 72 is excellent. It is a low pressure tank.

captain
06-04-2008, 10:01

Maybe maybe not. It is a late 50's early 60's with a 3/4" valve as used today. It is yellow vinyl coated, some were galvanized under the coating and some were not. If it shows rust where the vinyl is scratched off it is most likely not galvanized and I would pass on it.
Also some had an epoxy coating on the inside. Although this is not a reason to pass on it, depending on who is hydroing it they might require it to be tumbled to remove the coating. I have one with the coating and my shop does not require it be removed.
I would not pay more than $30 for it. The J valve is fine and need not be replaced, just leave the lever in the down position.

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 08:06
No its probably not worth it at price.

BSea
06-08-2008, 09:20
I really like steel 72's. They go for about $50 for one with a recent hydro (at least around here). But I don't like the vinyl coated tanks because of what captain mentioned. There is one thing about this tank that you might consider. It's the backpack. I've seen them go for as much as $30 or more because of how old they are. So if you have an interest in vintage diving, you might make him an offer in the 40 to 50 range.

cummings66
06-09-2008, 08:27
A LDS shop around here gets $50 for them with a new hydro and vis. So without that the rate would be about $20 as the others have said, pass on it if he won't go down.