PDA

View Full Version : A New PC

bfisher
06-03-2008, 21:11
We need to get some action on this forum so I'll as a question, being a new member.

I'm also new to video and finding it hard, frustrating, work intensive, but rewarding. One of my problems is that I am slowly working my way into doing HD and will have to get a new computer. Please don't say "Get a MAC". That isn't happening. Here's just one of a couple that has my interest.

Dell Inspiron
Windows Vista Premium w/ SP1
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 processor
2GB of DDR2 800ram (can add more)
500G HD (7200rpm)
ATI radeon HD 2400 pro graphics
16X DVD +/- RW
19" wide screen flat panel monitor

I already have an external DVD burner w/Litescribe. I also plan on getting a 1TB hard drive to store my video. I may hook this thing up in my living room and use my 40" HDTV for a monitor.

So if you know much about video editing tell me how this would work doing standard def for now.

I'm on bit of a budget and this is $960, new from Dell.

DIdiver
06-03-2008, 21:27
Well, I use a Mac. I am sure the Dell will do fine in between the reboots.:smiley20:

Trainacomin
06-05-2008, 16:07
I'd add 2 more gb's of memory.
I use Premiere Pro to edit and it takes a lot of space because it saves the last three versions of your project. So plan a lot of space to edit.

As for storage I be sure to at least have my drives mirrored just in case you lose one. That or backup all raw files to a dvd.

Other than that you should be fine to edit SD video.

waytooslow
06-05-2008, 16:30
Well, I use a Mac. I am sure the Dell will do fine in between the reboots.:smiley20:

hehehe - funny stuff

reactive
06-05-2008, 18:41
I use a mac also, but all my work machines are dell. If I could convince you to buy a mac, I would tell you that it will change your life (for the better) but unforuntately, mac's are expensive and probably won't meet your budget. They are pretty proud of their stuff.

For the dell, i would offer two bits of wisdom. I work in the computer center for a university, and I'm here to tell you that if you can still get xp on your new computer, do it. Avoid Vista like the plague. It's very buggy and has a LOT of compatibility issues with software and hardware alike. Secondly, it won't hurt you to upgrade the ram in the machine a smidge, but if you do, don't get it included in your order. Visit newegg.com when you receive your order and get the ram upgrade through them. It will save you $100 or more. Dell marks up a lot of "upgrades' since a lot of companies are forced to order only through them. The ram you will purchase at newegg is just as good if not better than the ram that dell provides.

Good luck on your new purchase!

harb99
06-05-2008, 22:02
I use a mac also, but all my work machines are dell. If I could convince you to buy a mac, I would tell you that it will change your life (for the better) but unforuntately, mac's are expensive and probably won't meet your budget. They are pretty proud of their stuff.

For the dell, i would offer two bits of wisdom. I work in the computer center for a university, and I'm here to tell you that if you can still get xp on your new computer, do it. Avoid Vista like the plague. It's very buggy and has a LOT of compatibility issues with software and hardware alike. Secondly, it won't hurt you to upgrade the ram in the machine a smidge, but if you do, don't get it included in your order. Visit newegg.com when you receive your order and get the ram upgrade through them. It will save you $100 or more. Dell marks up a lot of "upgrades' since a lot of companies are forced to order only through them. The ram you will purchase at newegg is just as good if not better than the ram that dell provides.

Good luck on your new purchase!

:smiley20: good advice on newegg

waytooslow
06-05-2008, 22:59
yeah it is higher upfront to go mac, but in long run it is cheaper. in 13 years I have upgraded macs 3 times, the average for pc users is like twice that rate.

of course I am platform agnosistic you have to be now in days, pc and unix at work

scubacat80
06-05-2008, 23:20
I'd put in as much RAM as the computer can handle.

bfisher
06-06-2008, 19:03
Ok guys, I went ahead and ordered the Dell Inps. 530. However I made a some changes. Added another Gig of RAM, and cancelled the monitor. I'm going to use my 17" temporarily and get a 24" in August. Also stepped down to the Intel 3100 video card and am going to replace it ASAP with something from Tiger Direct. I priced the upgrade Dell offers ( Radeon ATI 2600 XT Pro) and Tiger Direct sells it $50 cheaper. Also no speakers as I'll use headphones when the wife is home and just tap into my Bose Surround System when I'm alone.

Oh yeah, I changed the OS to XP Pro from Vista.

jtkkym
06-06-2008, 19:34
Have you checked Dell Outlet? You might find pretty good deal.

bfisher
06-06-2008, 20:22
Have you checked Dell Outlet? You might find pretty good deal.

Might do that later, but for now the order is in. I really wanted some special hardware so needed to order a new puter. Plus, I wanted to stay away from Vista.

Comes time for a monitor I'll be looking at the outlet for sure.

the gooch
06-06-2008, 20:43
Man you Mac fan boys are obnoxious.

Rileybri
06-06-2008, 21:09
My wife and I recently got a Dell Inspiron 1520 with all the bells and whistles (excluding software like photoshop and office). The first six months were a dream. 500 gigs of memory 4g Centreno processor and RAM etc.etc. All I can say is IT SUCKS! let me say that again IT SUCKS! Ok so the Dell part was ok. the comp looks nice, great HD 15" monitor, CS when getting was just fine. However VISTA is a nightmare. I cant tell you how many times I have had to re-boot, repair, or otherwise install nonces that should have been there to begin with. To compound things our problem seams to be focusing on "My photos" any time I try to access them for any reason it kills the highly sensitive MS OS. Then there are the constant prompts, "do you Really want to....." "are you sure......" It drives me nuts! I cant believe we wasted our money on this POS!!!! I can say one thing for sure, this will be our last PC EVER!!! I know it has become clichet and all but "GET A MAC GET A MAC GET A MAC!!!!!!! It just ain't worth it otherwise (unless you are using PC for work or got it free).

Edit: I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 and DVD Architect Suit 4.5. I like them for ease of use for basic editing all the way up to advanced tools and tricks. The thing is that from the little I have used of a Mac and its editing software, it is just as good if not better and it come with the comp free?? go figure.....

just my 2 cents

BTD

jtkkym
06-07-2008, 08:22
Yeah, I agree. Vista sucks. It looks to me that Microsoft over loaded too many extra unnecessary stuff on the OS. In order to run decent speed, you need pretty fast CPU and healthy memory.

Rileybri
06-07-2008, 09:00
Yeah, I agree. Vista sucks. It looks to me that Microsoft over loaded too many extra unnecessary stuff on the OS. In order to run decent speed, you need pretty fast CPU and healthy memory.

Its not even that alone, it is just full of bugs and was not engineered well. The thing is that XP was actually a fairly decent OS. At this point I am just over the whole microsoft thing. When we got our Dell my wife and I were aliment that the whole Mac thing was just slick marketing and just not worth learning a whole new system. We feel very differently now!

bfisher
06-07-2008, 18:54
Well fellows, and gals, I can't afford a MAC and that's just the way it is. One of the reasons I ordered from Dell is that I had a choice of Vista or XP. I had so many people advise me to stay away from Vista so I chose XP and for the $20 extra I opted for XP/Pro.

I have XP Home Ed. on my present PC and Vista on the laptop I'm using right now. I'm not all that savvy about operating systems or computers in general so I have to get by on a wish and a prayer sometimes. So far Vista hasn't given me that many problems, but I don't do much on this thing but email and surfing the web, and surfing about a dozen different forums relating to my two hobbies. Yes, it does get to be a PITA asking for prompts and such.

Maybe after I get this underwater video editing down to a science I'll need a step forward and get a MAC, but I guess I'll have to get a part time job and save my nickels (I'm retired for the moment).

I do notice one thing on many forums. Those who use a MAC love them, but so many times like in my case nobody asked about a MAC. I asked questions about particular hardware and such that would work well with what I intend to do. The MAC guys chime in and say "Get a MAC". That just doesn't answer any of my questions. They have to realize not everybody can afford 2 1/2 to 3 times the money over a PC. Although I appreciate all the info I get I just wish some people would stay "ON TOPIC."

mitsuguy
06-07-2008, 19:20
I have had zero problems with Vista, minus a Beta issue with AVI file listings... (and I've been running Vista since Release Candidate 2)

I use it daily, many hours a day... I use it on two different computers at home... I dual boot my laptop (that I'm using right now) between Ubuntu and Vista on one drive, again, with zero problems... I have only ran across a couple games that don't work correctly on Vista, but a couple games are not that important to me...

More than anything, I think it's about using good software, not overloading a computer with junk software, and keeping the system clean...

Zeagle Eagle
01-21-2009, 10:27
yeah it is higher upfront to go mac, but in long run it is cheaper. in 13 years I have upgraded macs 3 times, the average for pc users is like twice that rate.

of course I am platform agnosistic you have to be now in days, pc and unix at work

True, I generally upgrade my PC every two years. I can usually do it (motherboard + CPU) for less than $200. I have 6 hard drives and 3 DVD burners installed in my desktop. I just installed a Seagate 1 terabyte for $129 last week. Depending on what I want to do I can boot from Windows XP, Windows Vista 32 bit or Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit all on separate hard drives. I use Vista Ultimate for most everything and XP for sufing the net. The only MAC stuff I use is iTunes 'cause of my iPhone. If the rest of the MAC stuff is like iTunes then I will probably never run MAC.

What does it cost to upgrade a MAC?

Zeagle Eagle
01-21-2009, 10:49
We need to get some action on this forum so I'll as a question, being a new member.

I'm also new to video and finding it hard, frustrating, work intensive, but rewarding. One of my problems is that I am slowly working my way into doing HD and will have to get a new computer. Please don't say "Get a MAC". That isn't happening. Here's just one of a couple that has my interest.

So if you know much about video editing tell me how this would work doing standard def for now.

I'm on bit of a budget and this is $960, new from Dell.

I use Pinnacle software for my video editing with great results. I clean up the video first, take out the shots of me sleeping with my mouth open or that great picture of my fins 'cause I forgot to turn my camera off. When I get the video the way I like it I add some music, some titles and maybe some witty balloons to embarass myself. I also like the Movie Maker software that comes with Vista Ultimate and I have been using it more and more. Each program does something a little different. I tried using Sony Vegas and Photoshop; but, gave up as I didn't have the time to study the manual that much. Doc's! Doc's! I don't read no stinkin' Doc's. I have tried most of the stuff out there (Adobe Photoshop, Sony Vegas etc,) but pretty much have it narrowed down to ACDsee for my pictures and Pinnacle and Movie Maker for my video. I do have a huge amount of ram and a big ass video card also with lots of ram and that makes all the difference. I am sure the pros out there may take issue with my choices, rightfully so, but I am lazy and don't want to spend hours studying the book. I am by no means a video wizard. I wouldn't know an aperture from an f stop. But it works for me. The choice in computer you have made will work fine. Just remember to max out the ram (get the fastest ones) and get a really bad ass video card also with the max ram. You may want to add another DVD burner. They are pretty cheap now, from New Egg. I am thinking about getting a Blu Ray burner as I too am migrating to HD. I see you posted this awhile ago. Let me know how it has been working out.

calwolf
01-23-2009, 13:40
What does it cost to upgrade a MAC?

What does this mean? A statement like this "does not compute" for we Apple fanboys.

Okay, just kidding. I'd never buy a mac. I do like Ubuntu though.

Nemrod
01-24-2009, 23:40
Dell, Vista 64 bit with Ubuntu on Parallels.

Never have to reboot, no problems with Vista, no problems with malware, I don't believe in the bogyman.

N