PDA

View Full Version : Our Turks & Caicos Gallery

mmakay
07-10-2007, 19:48
If you click here (http://home.kc.rr.com/makays/), you will see the gallery from our latest trip to Turks & Caicos. Feel free to critique. I can't decide if I should spend the money for a second strobe. The results with just one are, IMHO, pretty good. Plus, the benefit from a second one may not outweigh the hassle it creates.

scubatexastony
07-10-2007, 20:37
The flamingo tongues are really nice. I shoot sans the strobes, with only the internal flash. It makes for easy point and shoot and less damage to the reef getting in the small holes everything seems to hide! smileys/smiley36.gif

~tony

Diver Dennis
07-10-2007, 22:49
I would get the second strobe. I posted a trip report with photos in the Asian section, all taken with 2 strobes.

mmakay
07-11-2007, 06:51
Wow Dennis, nice stuff. I have yet to go to the pacific. Looks like I need to make that a higher priority!

Centerius
07-11-2007, 10:11
Nice pictures! Looks like you couldn't keep up with the dolphins out of water, though. ;)

RonFrank
07-11-2007, 10:47
I would get the second strobe. I posted a trip report with photos in the Asian section, all taken with 2 strobes.

Dennis, is there a board you are not on? And what's up with those eyes there buddy? Looks like you need some sleep! smileys/smiley36.gif

Blindref757
07-12-2007, 18:39
mmckay...I wouldn't change too much! Those are some amazing pictures! It really helps when the water is so clear!

Question...how do you get the dark background behind your subjects? I'm a photo NOOB!!!

jacewindu
07-13-2007, 15:58
awesome photos! can't wait to go myself

tx.lakerat
07-17-2007, 15:48
really nice shots!

mmakay
07-17-2007, 18:18
mmckay...I wouldn't change too much! Those are some amazing pictures! It really helps when the water is so clear!

Question...how do you get the dark background behind your subjects? I'm a photo NOOB!!!

Actually, the vis was less that 50 feet most of the week. There was a lot of sediment in the water. The trick is shooting extreme wide angle. That way you are very close to your subject and your strobe isn't reflecting directly back at the lens, mitigating backscatter.

To get a dark background you need to shoot with the camera in manual mode. Higher shutter speeds let the strobe do more work, while natural light is responsible for less of the exposure. Careful control can really dial in nice deep blue backgrounds, too. With the camera controlling exposure, you will almost always get too bright water that distracts from your subject.

Blindref757
07-18-2007, 06:29
I can see that I have a lot to learn!!!

mmakay
07-18-2007, 21:18
So do I, but I learn something new on every trip! smileys/smiley20.gif

aramisun
07-18-2007, 22:56
If you click here (http://home.kc.rr.com/makays/), you will see the gallery from our latest trip to Turks & Caicos. Feel free to critique. I can't decide if I should spend the money for a second strobe. The results with just one are, IMHO, pretty good. Plus, the benefit from a second one may not outweigh the hassle it creates.

<DIV>Very nice pix Mickey.</DIV>
<DIV>Awesome color and superb clarity. What gear did you use?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

mmakay
07-20-2007, 21:06
&lt;blatantly copied from the "post your rig" thread...&gt;

Mine's old, but short of the pricey new SLR set-ups, they don't make anything better!

Nikon CP5000
Ikelite housing/arms
WC-E68 wide angle lens w/ dome
Ikelite DS-125 Strobe

Some of the photos also come from our Sony N1 in an inexpensive OEM housing. It lacks most of the features I consider "essential" for a serious rig, but if you shoot it exclusively at the wide angle end of it's lens, the pictures aren't bad. We are adding an Inon strobe to it on our next trip. I'll post a gallery of those shots, too! smileys/smiley2.gif

94GTStang
07-20-2007, 23:16
Those are some really nice shots! Would be a blast to make it down there sometime!

Rascal1933
07-21-2007, 21:42
Great Pics! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif
<DIV>Thanks for posting them.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Wow... Now I see why everyone that has dove there want's to go back.</DIV>
<DIV>Heck ~Now I will have to add thatto places thatI want to dive.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Cheers!</DIV>