PDA

View Full Version : Pretty colors!

Merjester
06-04-2008, 23:51
Hello,
I'm a newb and am almost finished with my PADI certification. I the videos I've noticed that most of the people have all of their gear in coordinating colors. Does anyone know where to get the custom colors for computer/gauges/regulators etc? Or was that just for the video? I think it would be pretty cool to have a customized setup, maybe it's cause I'm a girl ;)

freeski4ever
06-05-2008, 01:30
Starting in the late 1970s, and throughout the 80s and 90s, there was a standing rule in scuba diving... As long as you are color coordinated, you are immune from shark bites, sting ray strikes, jellyfish, and all other diver related accidents. The most important factor in scuba diving is that your mask, snorkel, fins, BC, and reg are color coordinated!!

Geoff_T
06-05-2008, 01:58
Starting in the late 1970s, and throughout the 80s and 90s, there was a standing rule in scuba diving... As long as you are color coordinated, you are immune from shark bites, sting ray strikes, jellyfish, and all other diver related accidents. The most important factor in scuba diving is that your mask, snorkel, fins, BC, and reg are color coordinated!!

hmm that must make me somthing akin to chum then.

badfrog88
06-05-2008, 07:10
Now to answer the OP's question...:smiley36:

You can have color coordinated gear, it might just take some extra work to find the matching pieces. The easiest way would be to buy all your gear at one time from the same manufacturer. You will be limited to the color choices available at the time you buy. For example: Purple and green (kind of a lime green as I recall) was a very popular color combination at one time. I bought a purple cover for my primary regulator and Mares Plana Avanti fins (they called them amethyst). It is almost impossible to find that combination now, it seems. As for "custom" colors, I don't think it would be possible without spending a lot of money.

mselizann
06-05-2008, 07:11
Hello,
I'm a newb and am almost finished with my PADI certification. I the videos I've noticed that most of the people have all of their gear in coordinating colors. Does anyone know where to get the custom colors for computer/gauges/regulators etc? Or was that just for the video? I think it would be pretty cool to have a customized setup, maybe it's cause I'm a girl ;)

mine are black- but I do have yellow fins, tanks, and some yellow on my BC and gloves

I guess find a color you like, and if the equip. you like fits well, and comes in that particular color- buy it!

Merjester
06-05-2008, 07:18
Apparently I missed out, because the color combo I wanted was green and purple! Does anyone know of a wet suit company that has purple in their wetsuit (other than the henderson hyperstretch which is a bit out of my price range) Thanks!

moosicman
06-05-2008, 08:43
From what I've seen that kind of customizing can add up in dollars. It may not be expensive for a piece or two, but add all the pieces together and you are gonna have sticker shock. PLUS, colors do seem to cause possible reactions in the animal world. Sharks go for yum, yum yellow, something that mythbusters investigated and proved (so that says it all, right?). Baracuda tend to be distracted by shiny objects (avoid silvery glittery). And so on, and so on......

caroln
06-05-2008, 08:50
Tusa makes colored masks, fins, snorkels, if you just want to go that route. If you really want a custom wetsuit, check out Welcome to Terrapin Wet Suits (http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com) . I love their hoods, but they have some interesting westuit designs too.

ScubaG
06-05-2008, 09:18
Apparently I missed out, because the color combo I wanted was green and purple! Does anyone know of a wet suit company that has purple in their wetsuit (other than the henderson hyperstretch which is a bit out of my price range) Thanks!

Pinnacle has purple wetsuits as well.

cowgirldiver
06-05-2008, 09:29
My new neosport ws has purple in it-at an excellent price

JillianAnnO
06-05-2008, 09:36
I bought all of my equipt during my confined water dives. before I jumped into a lake, I wanted to make sure I knew how to use it! Everything on my BCD is intergerated so I never have to use the "Statue of Liberty" move. :-) And, my BCD is black, a little gray, and hot pink! The purchase of it also supports Breast Cancer Research. Cound't find pink fins so I picked black and gray to match the BDC and other equipt and the hose guards can be any color you want to select... for me it was Pink, and neon green. I just bought a rash gard in pink too! Looking girlie and saving my life...that's what my equipt does for me! :smilie39:

mselizann
06-05-2008, 09:42
From what I've seen that kind of customizing can add up in dollars. It may not be expensive for a piece or two, but add all the pieces together and you are gonna have sticker shock. PLUS, colors do seem to cause possible reactions in the animal world. Sharks go for yum, yum yellow, something that mythbusters investigated and proved (so that says it all, right?). Baracuda tend to be distracted by shiny objects (avoid silvery glittery). And so on, and so on......

Hmm- Caroln- do we have to worry about the bass and bluegill attacking us?:smilie39:

I only wish I dove somewhere regularly where I'd have to worry about this......

Damselfish
06-05-2008, 10:16
I don't see too many divers worry a lot about color coordination in real life. I tend to go with blue when I must pick a color so I don't look like a yard sale. I like blue and it's usually available. As a practical thing I buy lights in yellow so I can find them easier. I would say if you enjoy color coordinating, whatever - just never place color before function.

FWIW, I think mostly black with some colored trim or panels, or maybe one solid colored item, looks much better than say trying to get all your gear in solid pink, Black is always available and always matches. :)

caroln
06-05-2008, 10:19
Hmm- Caroln- do we have to worry about the bass and bluegill attacking us?:smilie39:

I only wish I dove somewhere regularly where I'd have to worry about this......

The only time the bass will 'attack' you is on a safety stop along the wall because they think you are bringing them lunch (crayfish) :) But what's more fun on a safety stop than a staring contest with a fish.

cowgirldiver
06-05-2008, 12:55
I bought all of my equipt during my confined water dives. before I jumped into a lake, I wanted to make sure I knew how to use it! Everything on my BCD is intergerated so I never have to use the "Statue of Liberty" move. :-) And, my BCD is black, a little gray, and hot pink! The purchase of it also supports Breast Cancer Research. Cound't find pink fins so I picked black and gray to match the BDC and other equipt and the hose guards can be any color you want to select... for me it was Pink, and neon green. I just bought a rash gard in pink too! Looking girlie and saving my life...that's what my equipt does for me! :smilie39:
JillianAnnO is that an aqualung pearl you got? I got the same one although I'm not so worried about matching stuff-just want to get what works and feels right. I did have to laugh this weekend when one of the women I was diving with said "don't get me wrong, I want to look good underwater!!" Don't we all!!!

CompuDude
06-05-2008, 13:06

Actually, Mythbusters proved it was a myth, last time I watched that episode.

Barracuda shiny attraction is a problem only in certain locations... and even then, it's not really what I would consider a realistic concern in most instances.

Coordinating gear color is easy, as long as you choose all black gear. ;)

enterkin
06-05-2008, 19:24

Xcel wetsuits also has purple, I just bought one of their Hydrospan wetsuits, it's black & purple (and fits like a glove).

Lori
06-17-2008, 22:12
Had hot pink put on the cumberbun and shoulders of my new Zeagle BC when I ordered it at ScubaToys. I love it because it's easy to spot on a crowded boat but it's not overwhelming.

jimmysdevoted
06-25-2008, 22:11
My daughter goit theis wild wetsuit from TommyD sports.
Their wet suits are stretchy and good first suits. block colors are just wonderful. I have a BARE shorty thatahs these blue/purple color sleeves and titanium chest.. which i recommend,.., it keeps me warm even in cold water......

j

CamaroChick
06-26-2008, 07:45
just never place color before function.

This is so true, although I'll admit its hard for us girls who still want to look good. I've got different brands of gear, so its almost impossible to get the same color. Its good advice to try to buy it all at the same time, but don't limit yourself to one manufacturer. I went with mostly black, with blue accents. I've found that you can always get blue and even if the shades are different, they still look fine together. Mares and Tusa seem to be offering a lot of colors these days, and I know you get get custom colors in the Zeagle BCs.

Truered1
06-26-2008, 08:10
I too had wanted to coordinate when I first started. I found that the gear that worked for me didn't always come in the colors, sizes or shapes I wanted. I wanted all purple or green, well I ended up all blue..........LOL. Oceanic Hera BC in blue and black was the start, only one that fit ME like a glove, then on to the Bare wetsuit (dark & light blue), it was the only one that I liked for my body shape even thou O'Neil had the perfect colors. Next fins, gloves, mask & snorkel. I never saw myself with fins and booties but had to due to an old injury. Tusa light blue and white fins and matching snorkle, blue and black gloves, BUT the mask didn't work for me so that is all black. Finally after renting tanks for 6 months I got my own, :-) yes bright clearcoat Blue, so basically I am color coded. If you work at it you can DO it, but as many will tell you here, its how it fits and functions for you thats more important than how you look. It is the girly thing to match though - happy hunting

CompuDude
06-26-2008, 13:34
My daughter goit theis wild wetsuit from TommyD sports.
Their wet suits are stretchy and good first suits. block colors are just wonderful. I have a BARE shorty thatahs these blue/purple color sleeves and titanium chest.. which i recommend,.., it keeps me warm even in cold water......

j

Good luck with your Tommy D stuff. I sincerely hope it lasts for you... they have an unfortunately reputation for making gear that dies prematurely. Very cheap prices, though.

Vegas
06-26-2008, 17:22
As it stand right now I make an absolute fashion statement with my gear....
unfortunately that statement is
"I did NOT buy all my gear at the same time".
.... LOL!

I won't be diving on the 4th of July weekend...too many folks with boats and booze together on the Lakes, and just can't make it to the coast....so I've decided to take that weekend to do some "art projects" and decorate my wetsuits.

:)

obrules15
06-26-2008, 17:31
I don't see too many divers worry a lot about color coordination in real life. I tend to go with blue when I must pick a color so I don't look like a yard sale. I like blue and it's usually available. As a practical thing I buy lights in yellow so I can find them easier. I would say if you enjoy color coordinating, whatever - just never place color before function.

FWIW, I think mostly black with some colored trim or panels, or maybe one solid colored item, looks much better than say trying to get all your gear in solid pink, Black is always available and always matches. :)

And so slimming, I stick with black in the middle and I can change out the mask or fins as I choose. And did I mention it makes me look less like a big fat pig.

ChrisA
06-26-2008, 19:14
Hello,

Those videos are all old. Back in the 70's brightly colored gear was in style. Now black seems to be in. To bad really. I dive at night a lot and I hate having to find black gear in my black bag at night.

Some of the people I dive with have been at it for a ong time and you can tell by their gear. Things like blue BCs that must be 20+ years old. Al the new stuff is black.

Spay paint will fix some of this. But you can't paint a mask. I did paint the tips of my black turtle fins yellow and paint works on bags and cases too