PDA

View Full Version : Red Spectrum Light

nferra2
08-06-2007, 23:19
I asked in the middle of another thread, but it kind of got overshadowed by brand preferences. I was curious if a red spectrum dive light was available. Most inverts cannot see red light, and they will act as if it was pitch black when under red light. I think this would be really neat tool to have in your bag o tricks on a night dive to watch some interesting night life.

Nick

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 23:36
UK used to produce a screw on red bezel for their lights, but I don't think they do anymore. At least, I can't find it on their web site.

nferra2
08-07-2007, 00:33
It wouldn't take much to make a filter, I would just imagine one would be commercially available. It has got to be amazing to be invisable under water, and be able to see. I bet a red light would be really effective for free diving.

Phestr
08-08-2007, 23:33
I'm thinking of how cool that octopus would be if I wasn't worried about it putting the squeeze on my head. Definately be something to have. I'll look around a bit. If nothing else, red cellophane or the red filter from MagicFilters should work.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 23:43
I think an Octopus would notice you, but shrimp and crustaceans would not. I guess it would also be good for lobster diving at night, they would never see you coming.

bperrybap
08-09-2007, 02:31
The UK C8 has dual bulbs. You can replace one
with a red bulb and then use the switch to change
between a normal light and a red light at any time.
Some places sell them configured this way as a "Lobster light".

--- bill

nferra2
08-09-2007, 11:24
I am glad someone makes a light like that, I am just suprised they are not more popular. I think it would be amazing to be unseen underwater by the creatures you are watching.