PDA

View Full Version : Please critique gear choice for the wifey

Z06Boricua
06-05-2008, 10:43
Hey guys,

Don't know where else to post this, I hope here is appropriate.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a few things for the wife, and I'd like some input before I shoot myself in the fin. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/More%20Smiles/icosm14.gif After researching everything for just over a week, I've come up with what I believe is a nice little gear package for the wife. I swear I wasn't all hellbent on getting Oceanic stuff, it just kind of worked out that way, honest! So what do you think?
$504.95 - Oceanic Hera w/ hanger
$599.95 - Oceanic EOS regulator
$109.95 - Oceanic Alpha 8 octo
$627.90 - Oceanic Veo 250 PDC w/ console/quick disconnect/3-guage/lens cover
$44.95 - Oceanic Titanium knife

And for me:
$379.05 - Zeagle N2ition computerTotal for everything is $2266.75, and with ScubaToy's 10% discount, the total comes to:

$2040.08 plus USPS priority shipping to my APO from ST

I do have a few questions regarding the above.
Anyone know if ScubaToys will attach the octo and LP inflater hose to the first stage for me?
Also, I know that ScubaToys sells a lens cover for the N2ition, but I can't find it anywhere on the site. Anyone know where it is so I can add it to my cart and place the order online?Thanks for your help, and be sure to let me have it if I've made any mistakes!

Thanks!
Jose

dallasdivergirl
06-05-2008, 10:47
the reg will be fully set up and tested before it leaves ScubaToys. The LP inflater hose will be attached to the reg.

If you want to add something to the cart that isn't on the web page just put in "special instructions" they will call & let you know if they have that item or not.

have you checked this out?

Womens Oceanic Free Bag Package, Packages: BC and Reg, Oceanic, Womens Oceanic Free Bag Package (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Womens_Oceanic_Free_Bag_Pack age) ScubaToys will let you add or subtract from this package.... calling or emailing is a good way to do something like that.

No Misses
06-05-2008, 10:48
I don't believe that there is a lens cover for the N2ition.

The N2ition uses a conservative algorithm and the Oceanic uses a more liberal one. You may want to use the same algorithm for both of your DC's.

Foo2
06-05-2008, 10:54
deleted my post...others beat me to it. :D

Damselfish
06-05-2008, 11:25
what does your wife think? Has she tried that BC? Does she want a console computer?

I agree it usually makes sense for a couple to have computers with similar algorithms, and operation.

Z06Boricua
06-05-2008, 12:24
dallasdivergirl, I did see that package, but it didn't quite offer what I was wanting, namely the EOS and computer. Anyone know if ST would be willing to work with a new guy on that? I know that the free gear bag packages are an Oceanic promotion, so I'm not sure how much say the dealers have in what goes into them.

No Misses, I didn't think about the whole liberal vs conservative algorithm thing, I will definitely take that into consideration.

Damselfish, I've talked to her about what she wants, and she feels comfortable using a jacket style BC with a cumberbund. We had it down to a Zeagle Zena and Oceanic Hera, which seem to be two of the best. The reason we chose the Hera is because the Zena is a back inflate. It was her decision. Unfortunately it's difficult for us out here in Kuwait to try stuff on, so we pretty much have to rely on the opinions of seasoned veterans like you guys. :) I figure worst case scenario, she can try on the Hera out of water, and if she doesn't like it, we can send it back and try something else. I swear I did not go on what I felt she'd look better in, really! :)

As far as computers, what do you guys think about the wrist mounted AI units with dual transmitters for a SCUBA couple?

Thanks for all of the great advice!
Jose

rawalker
06-05-2008, 14:07
It is very important that your wife is comfortable in the BC make sure she tries one on first.
The regulator you selected is a great reg but some divers prefer no controls on the reg. also something to discuss with your wife and see what she is comfortable with.
I prefer wrist computers to consoles the computer is easier to keep tabs on and if you travel without your kit you can still take the computer you are familiar with and use it with the rental.

Martin2
06-05-2008, 14:17
As far as computers, what do you guys think about the wrist mounted AI units with dual transmitters for a SCUBA couple?

I have one and we're working on getting one for my husband. Absolutely love them. I've never had mine lose signal, but I've know of people who have. I would say that their usefulness depends somewhat on the type of diving you'll be doing.

harb99
06-05-2008, 14:42
Call them up - they will be able to work with you on a package deal that will probably work out better than the 10% off - or email that exact package to Joe and ask him for a quote.

We worked with Joe and he sent my wife 3 bc's to try on and then we sent the others back after she picked the one she liked the best - which just happened to be the Zeagle Zena - the other 2 that she tried was the Hera and the LaZer - her first time using the Zena with back inflate was this weekend and it did not affect her one bit - in fact, when we were on the way home she even made the comment about not even noticing much difference from the jacket bc's to the back inflate while on the surface.

dallasdivergirl
06-05-2008, 16:17
I am one of the ScubaToys employees (Saturdays only) so please feel free to call or email (email would probably be easier with your time difference)

contact joe@scubatoys.com and ask him about the oceanic package. there is room to trade out items in packages like that.

I have the atom 2 and I love it. I also use the Veo 180 NX as my back up. I did threaten my dive buddies with getting extra transmitters to track them, but didn't follow through with that :D

rawalker
06-05-2008, 16:44

I have one and we're working on getting one for my husband. Absolutely love them. I've never had mine lose signal, but I've know of people who have. I would say that their usefulness depends somewhat on the type of diving you'll be doing.

I have both the Oceanic VT3 and had an Atom 1.0
The Atom is in the process of being upgraded to an Atom 2.0 and I'm waiting for it's return.
The reason for the upgrade is to have the buddy monitoring feature on the Atom 2.0
I haven't used the feature but wanted to keep tabs on the Mrs. while diving. Either computer on it's own is a great piece of equipment.

abcitydiver
06-05-2008, 23:36
but but but...you didnt buy exactly what "I" bought, so it cant be good :-p
:::ducking and running for cover::::

rawalker
06-06-2008, 02:32
but but but...you didnt buy exactly what "I" bought, so it cant be good :-p
:::ducking and running for cover::::

No Problem the Mrs Eyes aren't as good as mine. She wears glasses to read. So the VT3's bigger display works for her.
I on the other hand am still 20/20 and have no problems with the smaller display.
As dive computers they are more similar than any others within the product group.
The Atom 2.0 is also a nice mens watch for dive trips.

Z06Boricua
06-06-2008, 03:27
Well guys, I went ahead and pulled the trigger last night. I must say that I don't think I've ever had a more pleasant experience dealing with a company than I had last night. It's rare to find a company with this level of customer service in this day and age.

I purchased an Oceanic Hera, EOS, Alpha 8 octo, Tusa SCA-343 console, EMT shears for the wife, and Zeagle N2ition for myself. I could not believe how incredibly nice ST was. I emailed Joe and asked him if he could do anything in the way of a package discount. He went way above the 10% forum discount, and they even threw in a free N2ition lens cover! To top everything off, they asked me if the quote Joe gave me included shipping. I said no, so he went to Joe and asked him, and Joe decided to go ahead and include free shipping since it's a military address!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I actually felt guilty after buying something, like I was ripping the company off. I felt that way last night after I got off the phone with ST. I honestly don't know how that place stays in business. They're practically giving everything away!

Thanks for all the advice/input,
Jose

dallasdivergirl
06-06-2008, 07:55
I am glad they took good care of you!

Z06Boricua
06-06-2008, 09:26

From what I've read here and my experience yesterday, I don't think they are capable of doing business any other way.

Jose

harb99
06-06-2008, 09:41

From what I've read here and my experience yesterday, I don't think they are capable of doing business any other way.

Jose

my sentiments exactly :smiley20:

Vercingetorix
06-06-2008, 09:49
I bought the 3-gauge Veo 250 console from ST. Even though it was clipped to my BC (first with retractable, then with clip), I eventually moved the Veo and compass to my wrist. The quick-disconnect is clipped to BC; I still use the quick-disconnect feature to remove gauge when storing it.

Oh yeah, got the console on a price match from ST for about $400.

longtailbda
06-06-2008, 15:09
It is a shame that she cannot try on different equipment.
I don't think I'd pick out equipment for my wife. I may make some suggestions but her equipment is a personal choice. She has no experience and I've been diving for 20+years. Of course we live within 5 mins of the ocean and can try on a myriad selection of gear. Good luck with whatever equipment the 2 of you choose.

Z06Boricua
06-06-2008, 16:35
Thanks longtailbda, I didn't really pick it out for her though. I helped her choose what she wanted. She had all the input, I simply showed her the different BC's available to her. She made the final decision, and I made the purchase.

Jose

RnSdiver
06-07-2008, 10:50
Now there is a smart man, you will go far in life. :)