PDA

View Full Version : Super Powers

Largo
06-05-2008, 20:09
If you could have one Super Power, what would it be? Why?

Example:
I'd like to have the ability to fly. Reason: I have never liked heights.

K9Pig
06-05-2008, 20:15
Of course, breath underwater at any depth without any medical issues.:smiley20: Or maybe fly. I haven't been shot at yet, but that could come in handy someday.

:smilie40:

longtailbda
06-05-2008, 20:46
Breath underwater. Hey this is all about diving after all.

aaronle06
06-05-2008, 20:53
i would love to be able to read people's minds because I can continue to pursue a career in psychology and further help people. not to put anyone on the spot, but I guess im an all around selfless person

jtkkym
06-05-2008, 21:08
I want all of them.

Largo
06-05-2008, 21:30
We'd all like to have all those powers, but that would ruin it for everybody.

Can you imagine what would have happened in the 50s or 60s, if a comic company had created a character who had all of the super powers? It would have crippled the industry.

DivingCRNA
06-05-2008, 21:36
If I could read minds marriage sure would be easier....

mike_s
06-05-2008, 21:56
I think the ability to acurately tell the future when you wanted to know something specific would be the best power to have.

Then, all I have to do is look up a few certain stock prices (for some time in the future), and then make a quick call to my broker. :D

rawalker
06-05-2008, 22:13
Telekinesys could in theory be used to stop a bullet, be used as super strength, enable you to fly, make anything else fly or enable you to bring anything to you like air allowing you to breath even underwater.

The other power I'd want is the ability to move through time both future and past.

Rileybri
06-05-2008, 22:19
With airline prices the way they are I would vote for the ability to fly. that said mind reading would be a close second as it would make having a wife SOOOOOO much easer!

harb99
06-05-2008, 22:28
since i have asthma and know what it is like to not be able to breath well above water, i think being able to breath under water would be incredible

emcbride81
06-05-2008, 22:34

Yeah, but you would have to be reading it constantly to keep up with the changes...:smilie39:

CompuDude
06-06-2008, 00:59
Definitely reading people's minds.

I want something that is the most useful and will actually get me somewhere in life. Telekinesis was a close second.

Stopping time was a serious consideration, but it depends on how the downside is handled (if there is one): You'd die early, since you would continue aging every time you stopped time, while the rest of the world was frozen. I want to live longer and see more, not less. If that downside was somehow avoided, I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

buddhasummer
06-06-2008, 01:12
Fly for sure, you can breathe underwater already, and the others seem like theyd be good party tricks but I think the novelty would wear off pretty quickly and youd get bored of them or the downside to them would outway the up side... Oh to be able to fly....:smiley20:

although... stopping time Hmmm...

Karletto
06-06-2008, 03:48
to breathe underwater reason: iam a freediver

-> or to be able to see through clothes http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/icons/icon10.gif :spin: muahahaha (sometimes*)

*http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4513/cfooderof2.jpg

John Yaskowich
06-06-2008, 07:42
For an amusing take on the down-side of super powers, find a copy of the short story "Man of Steel, Woman of Klennex" by Larry Niven. According to this, Superman had some major problems in his life, especially going through puberty.
A couple of scenerios I remember:
1. Superman and Lois marry and try to concieve a child. The first sperm makes it to the egg and fertilizes it. All the "losers" in the race, having superpowers of their own, batter down the egg walls and overwhelm the egg.
2. One of the forms of Kryptonite causes Superman to grow to incredible size. Imagine the problems if sperm is exposed to this radiation and grow to the size of dolphins. With superpowers. And their only instinct is to fertilize an egg.

Spider Robinson, in one of his early Callahan tales explored the problems of mind-reading, especially when you can't turn it off. Scary.

DiveSooner
06-06-2008, 10:17

Good luck with that, let me know how it turns out. With mine, it would give me a headache with constant changing of the mind. :smiley5:

With the gas prices, the ability to produce my own gas....:smiley2: eerrr ok, I sorta already to that. :smiley11:

I go with foreseeing the future and the ability to wisely invest.

TRACI
06-06-2008, 10:34
This may not be actually considered a superpower, but I would like to eat what ever I want and never gain a ounce :)

plot
06-07-2008, 11:29
stop time. then i could steal a sub and spend the next 8 decades looking for all the treasures in the ocean and when i started time again i'd be right back where i began. except with all the treasures in the ocean.

Largo
06-07-2008, 11:46
You don't need to be able to stop time in order to steal a submarine.

Pursue your dreams with all of your will and energy, and they will become reality.

BuzzGA
06-07-2008, 12:33
I think I would go for something a bit more mundane...change water into good beer. It would just save money

plot
06-07-2008, 12:34
I think I would go for something a bit more mundane...change water into good beer. It would just save money

you'd be jesus?

matt151617
06-09-2008, 00:59
Definitely, be able to fly! It just looks like so much fun when birds do it. Plus, think about it... you'd never need a car, or be stuck in traffic, or waiting around airports, etc. You'd save tons of money on gas, and you could go anywhere in the world whenever you wanted to.

torrey
06-09-2008, 11:57
I'll take invisibility...think of all the free movies you could watch!

DollFin
06-09-2008, 11:57
I'd say flying, so that I can see the world, but then invisibility would be pretty handy for that too... you could just sneak onto airplanes, into concerts, the possibilities are endless! :)

torrey
06-09-2008, 12:20
I'd say flying, so that I can see the world, but then invisibility would be pretty handy for that too... you could just sneak onto airplanes, into concerts, the possibilities are endless! :)

You could just sample food from the finest restaurants right off of everybody's plates. You wouldn't even need money, you would have access to anything you ever wanted. You could slip into the White House and see what Bush really does with his time all day. Know all of the worlds secrets...

thor
06-09-2008, 12:46
I can't believe teleportation didn't make the list.

DiveSooner
06-09-2008, 14:01
I can't believe teleportation didn't make the list.

Just what you need... Knowledge of Jurix.... and great hair. :smiley36:

plot
06-09-2008, 16:23
I'll take invisibility...think of all the free movies you could watch!

hehehehe... some of us already watch all of our movies for free...

no, i'm not talking about pirating. ;) just need to know some people at the local theaters

Beaucoupfishies
06-09-2008, 18:19
stop time. then i could steal a sub and spend the next 8 decades looking for all the treasures in the ocean and when i started time again i'd be right back where i began. except with all the treasures in the ocean.

And you'd be 80 years older. Stopping time doesn't necessarily stop you from aging. :smiley36:

Empacher
06-09-2008, 18:25
ability to read minds....Think about it, you would never lose at a game of poker!

USF_Diver
06-09-2008, 21:38
I would take stop time, for some reason when I look at all these super powers I only think of the all the bad things I could do lol :)
Lucky I have no super powers......... yet :)

hooligan
06-09-2008, 22:35
I vote for flying. But you would need to be able to travel at supersonic speeds to make it worthwhile.

DaneMeyer20
06-10-2008, 07:00
Invisibility has so many options and could make you rich

matt151617
06-10-2008, 11:05
I vote for flying. But you would need to be able to travel at supersonic speeds to make it worthwhile.

Yeah... like you could fly slow like a bird if you wanted to, or super fast, almost like teleporting.

thagar
06-26-2008, 21:29
I would have to go with Telekinesis. Then I could make sure all my teams win.

whitworthsa
06-26-2008, 22:28
This is a tough one. I've always wanted to fly though...thats my vote.

thagar
06-26-2008, 22:35
Dane Cook has a joke about superpowers. He says that wanting to fly doesn't count because everyone wants to do it. He wants to shoot spaghetti from his fingers.

Bert
06-27-2008, 05:29
Dane Cook has a joke about superpowers. He says that wanting to fly doesn't count because everyone wants to do it. He wants to shoot spaghetti from his fingers.

I'd hate to see where the maranara sause is then:smiley11:

DallasMarineBio
06-27-2008, 23:25

He also had a bit about wanting to have that acid spit like the dinosaur in Jurassic park...but he also mentioned that ladies would use it when guys were hitting on them, so maybe noone should have that power :)

Dieseler
06-28-2008, 12:33
Ok, so am I the only one that wants super healing/regenerative powers? I do enough stupid stuff and push myself hard enough that instant healing would be REALLY nice!

Aside from that, I'd have to say telekinetics. I figure if I was good enough I could fly by it... and it would provide never ending entertainment for me at a bar or party.

Black-Gorrilla
06-28-2008, 14:30
i picked one that was up there already...
breathing underwater should not count... we already do it all the time.
i wish to have the ability to kill a yack from 100 yard out... with mind bullets!!

harb99
06-28-2008, 15:30
i picked one that was up there already...
breathing underwater should not count... we already do it all the time.
i wish to have the ability to kill a yack from 100 yard out... with mind bullets!!

but having unlimited bottom time and no need to carry a tank would be very cool

by the way Jack already has the mind bullet ability :)
lost that CD - it was fun to listen to

thagar
06-28-2008, 21:28
David Blaine and Chris Angel make people think they have superpowers.