PDA

View Full Version : Switching to doubles

Largo
06-06-2008, 20:09
What size air cell is required in order to dive doubles, with a Ranger?

ScottZeagle
06-09-2008, 08:52
That really varies....

I would say that some folks could dive double aluminum 80s with the 44lb bladder.

Others might need a 65lb bladder...and as you change the tank size and type, the need could increase all the way up the the 85lb redundant bladder.

What works for someone else may not necessarily work for you.

MSilvia
06-09-2008, 09:19
Double what? There's a big difference between (for example) diving double AL80s and diving double HP100s.

Generally speaking though, you need enough to offset the negative buoyancy of your full doubles and other gear with compressed/failed exposure protection. To give you a ballpark idea, I dive a 40 lb wing with Asahi HP100 doubles, a steel plate, and drysuit.

ianr33
06-09-2008, 13:10
and as you change the tank size and type, the need could increase all the way up the the 85lb redundant bladder.

What would you use an 85 lb wing for? Using 104's as stages maybe??

On another note how many divers actually dive doubles with a ranger?

CompuDude
06-09-2008, 14:15
and as you change the tank size and type, the need could increase all the way up the the 85lb redundant bladder.

More than you'd think.

Of course, there are people who think diving heavy steel doubles with a wetsuit is ok, too. Takes all sorts.

Rainer
06-09-2008, 14:18

Agreed. I simply can't fathom the gear setup that would need 85# of lift. I dove double HP119s on a 40# wing with no problem (usually use a 50# wing, but that's what was available that day). Something is very wrong if you need 85# of lift.

And if you're serious about diving doubles, ditch the Ranger.

Signed,
-A former Ranger diver.

texdiveguy
06-09-2008, 14:20
Of course, there are people who think diving heavy steel doubles with a wetsuit is ok, too. Takes all sorts.

Please tell us all why its 'wrong' to dive steel doubles in a wet suit-?.....I dive steel doubles in a wet suit with a redundant wing, course I also dive ALM. doubles in a wet suit with a redundant wing. Am I wrong.....have I missed something along the path? Or am I and allot of other experienced doubles divers just in the "Takes all sorts." catagory.

CompuDude
06-09-2008, 14:52

Please tell us all why its 'wrong' to dive steel doubles in a wet suit-?.....I dive steel doubles in a wet suit with a redundant wing, course I also dive ALM. doubles in a wet suit with a redundant wing. Am I wrong.....have I missed something along the path? Or am I and allot of other experienced doubles divers just in the "Takes all sorts." catagory.

Blah-blah-blah. Did you really misunderstand my point, or are you just trying to nit pick?

I personally wouldn't want to dive your configuration, but I'll be happy to fight on your behalf for your right to dive however the hell you want.

ianr33
06-09-2008, 14:57
Please tell us all why its 'wrong' to dive steel doubles in a wet suit-?.....I dive steel doubles in a wet suit with a redundant wing,

'Cos your'e gonna die.

Silly Stroke.

texdiveguy
06-09-2008, 14:59

Blah-blah-blah. Did you really misunderstand my point, or are you just trying to nit pick?

I personally wouldn't want to dive your configuration, but I'll be happy to fight on your behalf for your right to dive however the hell you want.

I did not miss anything in your statement....what might well of happened and I am guilty as the next fellow, is interpreting internet written statements .... not getting it direct with 'feelings' and expressions....I see your point and better understand your first statement now after your second post here....COOL!!! :)

ianr33
06-09-2008, 14:59
Agreed. I simply can't fathom the gear setup that would need 85# of lift.

Sledgehammers,crowbars and portholes maybe??

texdiveguy
06-09-2008, 15:04
Agreed. I simply can't fathom the gear setup that would need 85# of lift.

Sledgehammers,crowbars and portholes maybe??

Yea... I agree....there are times that such massive lift might be required in wreck 'hunting' at deep depth with a crap load of gear....it has and does happen and the your equipment better be up to the task.

MSilvia
06-09-2008, 16:20
Personally, I'd use a lift bag for porthole recovery, but offsetting the weight of tools makes sense. Still, it would have to be an awfully big sledgehammer to require an #85.

Rainer
06-09-2008, 16:25
That's BS. The guys (and gal) I know who are diving wrecks here off MA every weekend and bringing up all kinds of goodies, have hammers, crowbars, etc, but 55# wings... They do use lifts bags for ... well, lifting stuff.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 16:41
That's BS. The guys (and gal) I know who are diving wrecks here off MA every weekend and bringing up all kinds of goodies, have hammers, crowbars, etc, but 55# wings... They do use lifts bags for ... well, lifting stuff.
I am new to this forum, But from what I am reading ...you are the expert on every style, technique, and purpose of gear intended to do certain functions?
I do not quit understand why anyone else would need that much lift...but appartently it has a purpose or Manufactures would not make them.

Rainer
06-09-2008, 16:45
but appartently it has a purpose or Manufactures would not make them.

That's silly. Manufactures make them because people buy them. That does not mean people need them. I see all kinds of people out here with 92# OMS wings. They have the same doubles and weight belts as me. I'm diving a wing half that sized. I don't really care what they dive, but it's BS to say it's needed (at least in the cases I've ever seen).

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 16:49

That's silly. Manufactures make them because people buy them. That does not mean people need them. I see all kinds of people out here with 92# OMS wings. They have the same doubles and weight belts as me. I'm diving a wing half that sized. I don't really care what they dive, but it's BS to say it's needed (at least in the cases I've ever seen).
Like I said earlier....you are the expert!

Rainer
06-09-2008, 16:50

LOL.

Dude, you don't have to be ashamed of your OMS wing. Really.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 16:51

LOL.

Dude, you don't have to be ashamed of your OMS wing. Really.
I dive a #44 Ranger....Thank you!

ianr33
06-09-2008, 16:58
but offsetting the weight of tools makes sense. Still, it would have to be an awfully big sledgehammer to require an #85.

Maybe its for redundant sledgehammers ?

texdiveguy
06-09-2008, 17:04
but offsetting the weight of tools makes sense. Still, it would have to be an awfully big sledgehammer to require an #85.

Maybe its for redundant sledgehammers ?

.......... LOL

diver-wife
06-09-2008, 19:04
I am not a technical diver, so forgive me if this is a stupid question:

What is wrong with diving doubles with a wet suit? I know most use a dry suit, but that is often (I thought) because they were down longer?

Ryanh1801
06-09-2008, 19:06
I am not a technical diver, so forgive me if this is a stupid question:

What is wrong with diving doubles with a wet suit? I know most use a dry suit, but that is often (I thought) because they were down longer?

Im not either, but I can not think of a single reason why a dry suit would be a must for diving doubles. Redundant lift yes, but a dry suit, no idea.

Rainer
06-09-2008, 19:11
There is NOTHING inherently wrong with diving doubles (even steels) and a wetsuit. The issue here is always one of what to do if the wing fails at depth. In a wetsuit, which offers nearly no buoyancy at depth, when diving heavy doubles, this OFTEN means that the diver could not safely ascend (either get to the surface or maintain depths for decompression). It's surprisging hard to swim up 15#. Full, my double HP130s are going to be MUCH more negative than my ability to swim them to the surface (and forget about holding stops). In case my wing were to fail dramatically, I have my dry suit. I also have a 50# lift bag on me, and a team of buddies. For lighter doubles (e.g. AL80s) I'd be fine diving them wet in a tropical location (light wetsuit, no added weight, no v-weight needed). I know I can swim them up. Still would likely prefer a dry suit, but wouldn't shun them. Others choose to use dual bladder wings for redundancy.

Geoff_T
06-09-2008, 22:31
wouldn't the #85 be more applicaple for certain commercial profiles. Other than that I would go with the others more than about 60 lbs without a good reason is too much. Tools what are they bringing down the big wrenches you use for 4" nuts on heavy machinery.