PDA

View Full Version : How conservative are computers?

Advokat
08-07-2007, 07:22
Hey guys which computers tend to be more conservative than others?Do they all use different algorithms? I currently dive with Tusa and Mares computers and they seem to be very similar?How conservative are Uwatec and Suunto?

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2007, 07:28
Welcome to the forum! Great questions for a first post! You will find all the names you tossed out are pretty close to each other, and are on the conservative side. Most those are using a modified RGBM type algorithm.

If you want something that will allow more bottom time, then look at the Oceanic / Aeris line of computers which are based on modified Padi Tables.

For example, you will probably see your computers showing a 60 foot dive plan for about 49 minutes or so, and the oceanic will show 57, Padi shows 55 (but the math for padi says 57, it is rounded for pretty numbers) and the us navy shows 60.

I prefer having a more liberal computer, and if I want to be more conservative, I just don't push it to the limit, and some of the new oceanic / aeris, you can set a conservatism factor and they will back off your times then.

Advokat
08-07-2007, 07:40
Great Answer!Thanks!

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2007, 07:48
Hey Advokat... Just noticed you're from Australia... so kick that 60 foot to about 20 meters! But you get the idea.

Welcome to "up over"!

BSea
08-07-2007, 07:58
I used to have an oceanic, and now I have a suunto. The suunto is more conservative, even when I tweak it to be more liberal. But most of the people I dive with have suunto, so it really doesn't hurt my bottom time. I tend to be a little conservative anyway since I'm 51.

ScaredSilly
08-07-2007, 14:03
It is also not just the algorithm that can make a computer conservative it is also the initial conditions. For instance, I think Sunnto uses 32 ft == 1 ATM for figuring the MODs when using Nitrox. So this effectively reduces the MOD ceiling.