PDA

View Full Version : SPG Problem?

frogman159
06-08-2008, 14:34
My wife has the Oceanic Veo-100 3 gauge console bought from scuba toys of course Shown here:
Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console, Computers: Air, Oceanic, Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=oceanicveo100console)

The SPG face looks almost exactly like this one:
Oceanic Pressure Gauge, Dive Gauges, Oceanic, Oceanic Pressure Gauge (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OceanicPressureGauge)

We just had our last day of OW checkout dives today!:smiley20: So it was the first chance she got to get her gear wet.

Problem is her SPG is filled with water- If you hold it upright, its filled just about to the top of the built in thermometer dial and the water can slosh around inside the entire gauge. Is this normal for an oceanic gauge to do this? Some of the ones in class were filled with water but I just thought they were old...How do I drain the water for storage if this is normal?
Thanks
Eric

Splitlip
06-08-2008, 15:16
No, I would hope that is not water. Hopefully that is oil.

frogman159
06-08-2008, 15:39
Very certain it wasn't in there before the 1st dive, and I'm sure its water cause it has particles/Dirt in there from the quarry as well.

I though maybe it lets some water in cause its got a thermometer inside the SPG, now I'm worried

Splitlip
06-08-2008, 15:46
Then the SPG is NG and you may have water in your 1st stage.

Splitlip
06-08-2008, 15:49
See you bought from ST. If it is aSPG problem they will make it right. No worries.

Check out the 1st stage though.

Edit. Usually water in the 1st stage migrates to the SPG. It should not go the other way, so don't be too concerned.

frogman159
06-08-2008, 16:18
Thanks for all the responses Splitlip

awap
06-08-2008, 19:52
It is water and it is not good. Id did not come in thru the 1st stage. The problem is the case has failed to seal. Let ST know and they will probably get a replacement on the way.

ianr33
06-08-2008, 20:01
I'm guessing its a plastic gauge? It might work for a while but its basically toast. Presumably had a slight crack or weakness and the pressure at depth forced the water in.

Get a brass and glass gauge if you want it to last for years and years. More expensive initially but worth it.

frogman159
06-08-2008, 20:02
The first stage is an Oceanic CDX-5 w/DVT w/Enviro Kit factory installed

I told the wife to go with wrist computer and B&G SPG like I have, but she wanted the plastic console:smiley29:

frogman159
06-08-2008, 20:06
I'm guessing its a plastic gauge? Presumably had a slight crack or weakness and the pressure at depth forced the water in.

Yes its plastic- Thats what I think too- I'd be shocked and pretty depressed if water got through the sealed first stage of what I though was a decent quality first stage

Splitlip
06-08-2008, 20:21
No. You would not have gotten that much water if there was water in your 1st stage. Definitely the gauge. And your 1st stage would be safe. Water won't migrate that way.

Zenagirl
06-09-2008, 06:49
Regardless of how, the gear is defective. Call ST and they will make it right for you immediately.

js1scuba
06-09-2008, 08:52
My wife has the Oceanic Veo-100 3 gauge console bought from scuba toys of course Shown here:
Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console, Computers: Air, Oceanic, Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=oceanicveo100console)

The SPG face looks almost exactly like this one:
Oceanic Pressure Gauge, Dive Gauges, Oceanic, Oceanic Pressure Gauge (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OceanicPressureGauge)

We just had our last day of OW checkout dives today!:smiley20: So it was the first chance she got to get her gear wet.

Problem is her SPG is filled with water- If you hold it upright, its filled just about to the top of the built in thermometer dial and the water can slosh around inside the entire gauge. Is this normal for an oceanic gauge to do this? Some of the ones in class were filled with water but I just thought they were old...How do I drain the water for storage if this is normal?
Thanks
Eric

The Oceanic SPG is made out of plastic and the face is sealed to the body. If the unit was dropped on its side its possible that the seal broke. As a result this gauge will still work (since the gauge part is actually sealed) but it will still get water in it. Give Joe/Larry a call and I am confident they will just replace it for you as this will probably fall under warranty.

Cheers

mauiiop
06-09-2008, 10:53
Let the guys know at scuba toys and they will take care of it.
I can not use any plastic guages all metal and glass for me, this is the best.

frogman159
06-09-2008, 19:23
Yup talked to Joe, and he's going to take care of it right away when I send it back. Sent it UPS today--->Thanks Joe...